Oasis

124»

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I like Oasis. I've never been a fan of their lyrics but as long as the melodies are good (and they always are) I'll keep listening. And you've got to love "Fuckin' in the Bushes", best cruising song ever and there are no words! (for those of you who hate their lyrics).
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    MCG wrote:
    I like Oasis. I've never been a fan of their lyrics but as long as the melodies are good (and they always are) I'll keep listening. And you've got to love "Fuckin' in the Bushes", best cruising song ever and there are no words! (for those of you who hate their lyrics).

"Kids are running around naked, fuckin in the bushes"
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • The spirit of what they achieved in the 90's still lives on with many uk bands citing them as the reason they formed a Band and thats good but musically they have never evolved.

Oasis fans try to convince themselves that they have but they stick to what they Know. Which is fine if you want the same thing over and over again.

It's like when Death in Vegas were touted to produce Don't Believe the Truth then they decided it wasn't a good idea.

No risk is taken and they continue in the same vein it's like they are afraid of experimenting, yes Fuckin in the Bushes is a start but they never truly have the balls to to take it to the next level. Noel is basically limited in what he can do, he bad mouths Albarn & Yorke but if he had half their creativity he might have something new to say.

As I said if your happy with that then that's fine but I think some people expect a little more from music but each to his or hers own.

They are still extremely arse kissed in the UK and held in high esteem but they aren't really worthy of the praise anymore.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i still get excited when i hear the opening of morning glory and wonderwall is one of my favourite songs ever and will remain so. i don't like everything oasis do. but what i don't like i don't listen to. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    If you hate them, please explain yourself. I listened to them in the beginning and then just kinda stopped for awhile during what seems to be a backlash against them but after hearing Stop Crying Your Heart Out at the end of Butterfly Effect I went back and listened to the stuff I missed out on and realized that they are actually an amazing band that have constantly produced great music. Do you guys hate them only because of things they said to the media or do you hate their music? If you hate the music, why?

I did dig the first album and a few tracks off the next... but the albums after that I just found very boring and bland... no feeling too much pretension... etc
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    The spirit of what they achieved in the 90's still lives on with many uk bands citing them as the reason they formed a Band and thats good but musically they have never evolved.

Oasis fans try to convince themselves that they have but they stick to what they Know. Which is fine if you want the same thing over and over again.

It's like when Death in Vegas were touted to produce Don't Believe the Truth then they decided it wasn't a good idea.

No risk is taken and they continue in the same vein it's like they are afraid of experimenting, yes Fuckin in the Bushes is a start but they never truly have the balls to to take it to the next level. Noel is basically limited in what he can do, he bad mouths Albarn & Yorke but if he had half their creativity he might have something new to say.

As I said if your happy with that then that's fine but I think some people expect a little more from music but each to his or hers own.

They are still extremely arse kissed in the UK and held in high esteem but they aren't really worthy of the praise anymore.

Why do bands have to evolve to be good? Alot of bands evolve into total shit. Oasis consistantly make good music. I also disagree that they havent evolved at all, SOTSOG doesnt sound like anything else they have made, HC has some different sounding songs, and DBTT has a very vintage sound to it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Why do bands have to evolve to be good? Alot of bands evolve into total shit. Oasis consistantly make good music. I also disagree that they havent evolved at all, SOTSOG doesnt sound like anything else they have made, HC has some different sounding songs, and DBTT has a very vintage sound to it.

As I said if your happy with the same thing then fine but I need more progression from what I listen to.

Their change is only slight and usually means they are ripping off some other part of their record collection, Importance of being Idle is a fine tune but the Kinks said it much better years ago.

I actually think Oasis have a lot to answer for as British music is very safe and sounds like it's ripping other better band s off for instance, Razorlight, me thinks they maybe heard Television's Marquee Moon a few times.

Nearly every band since Oasis with exceptions has proceeded to just copy others, I don't mind influence but moments of Razorlight 1st album are just Television rip offs.

They contributed to the stagnation and all the fawning over bands like the Libertines.

It's like they started a whole whats the point of coming up with something new because we can just copy other bands and people will still buy it.

Well not this person.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Why do bands have to evolve to be good? Alot of bands evolve into total shit. Oasis consistantly make good music. I also disagree that they havent evolved at all, SOTSOG doesnt sound like anything else they have made, HC has some different sounding songs, and DBTT has a very vintage sound to it.

Very true. For example, those artists, Albarn and Yorke, who "developed" have also put out some albums that are blatantly not as good as their earlier material. Don't get me wrong, I love Albarn and Yorke and their respective bands. But take Radiohead-Sure Hail to the Thief is awesome but Amnesiac and I may be alone in this but Kid A have nothing on Ok Computer or the Bends. Likewise, Blur may have made some amazing stuff once they "developed" but they also put out the stinker Think Tank and the uneven though occasionally genius self titled album.

The difference with Oasis is that while they may not have drastically changed, none of their albums are exactly a retread and they always have great songs. True, there are uneven ones but the songs are always there. I have no idea how someone can hear "Gas Panic" or "Go Let It Out" from SOTSOG, "The Hindu Times" off of Heathen Chemistry or "Turn Up the Sun" from Don't Believe the Truth and say the Gallaghers haven't had it since back in the 90s. Personally, I love Oasis and think they deserve the praise and are underserving of a lot of the shit they get thrown at them.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Oasis Kicks ass. Noel is an amazing talent. Yes there first two albums are there best. But Heathen Chemistry and Dont Believe the truth have some amaizng songs on them also.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i fucking hate oasis!

sorry, needed to get that off my chest
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Anybody hear the cover they just recorded of Within You, Without You? It is quite good.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    They made the two best rock n roll albums of the 90's(Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory).
    Matty Boy wrote:
    They made the two best rock n roll albums of the 90's(Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory).

please don't bring out the devil in me by talking absolute nonsense like that.
    morning glory is good
    i can't even listen to definately maybe - it is fucking terrible

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    glasshouse wrote:
    morning glory is good

Is it really that hard to not read a thread of a band you hate?
    chris01 wrote:
    Is it really that hard to not read a thread of a band you hate?

i know it's in poor taste, sorry mate. it's just.........nevermind

glasshouse wrote:
    morning glory is good

How is it fucking terrible when it has the same sound as Morning Glory?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Oasis rule man, i never stopped listening to them, all their albums are good, i meam great :P
  • You gotta at least admit that Gas Panic is an amazing song

Gas Panic is awesome!! Definitely one of their best for sure.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I liked Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory, but starting with Be Here Now, it started sounding like the same songs over and over only with different lyrics. I don't hate them or change the song when they come on, but it's not like I get excited about their music anymore.

I share the same opinion, Be Here Now was terrible.

The Masterplan b-side collection is great.

So just get Def. Maybe, M.Glory, & MP...
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    If you hate them, please explain yourself. I listened to them in the beginning and then just kinda stopped for awhile during what seems to be a backlash against them but after hearing Stop Crying Your Heart Out at the end of Butterfly Effect I went back and listened to the stuff I missed out on and realized that they are actually an amazing band that have constantly produced great music. Do you guys hate them only because of things they said to the media or do you hate their music? If you hate the music, why?

they haven't made great music since be here now, only a few gems from the next three albums here and there, the masterplan was great but that was just b sides from older stuff. that said, i'm still a fan.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Oasis is awesome and anyone who doesn't like them is a bloody fookin' wanka.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Oasis released two great albums in DM and WTSMG, and also had a few really good songs on The Masterplan and Be Here Now. Their best stuff is long behind them and the new stuff really isnt anything better than average in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    they haven't made great music since be here now, only a few gems from the next three albums here and there, the masterplan was great but that was just b sides from older stuff. that said, i'm still a fan.

dont believe the truth is the best they've done since morning glory and rivals those first two albums. yes, some of the middles were not quite as great, but i'd not write them off yet. esp on a message board for a band whose career arc has been remarkably similar ;)
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    dont believe the truth is the best they've done since morning glory and rivals those first two albums. yes, some of the middles were not quite as great, but i'd not write them off yet. esp on a message board for a band whose career arc has been remarkably similar ;)

Its all personal opinion at the end of the day but i honestly cant see how the new album can even be compared to DM and WTSMG. The new album i found really quite boring at times, just really uninteresting. I think WTSMG in particular is a fantastic album but they have got gradually worse and more samey as time had gone on in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    stu gee wrote:
    Its all personal opinion at the end of the day but i honestly cant see how the new album can even be compared to DM and WTSMG. The new album i found really quite boring at times, just really uninteresting. I think WTSMG in particular is a fantastic album but they have got gradually worse and more samey as time had gone on in my opinion.

i'd argue the same can be said of pearl jam, who had been on an experimental decline before making a pretty tame back-to-basics album. it's in the eye of the beholder. if you're a pj fan, you will make excuses for how their mediocre albums are worth hearing and their new album is really good while not giving the same slack to oasis becos you have less invested. if you're an oasis fan, you'll have excuses for why be here now through the new one are worth hearing as well. to the casual fan, neither of these bands has done anything worth hearing since their second or third album. pesonally, oasis is in the same boat as pearl jam to me... a mediocre album by either band is better than 95% of what's out there. i happen to love the last oasis album, they haven't had that kind of bright, attitude album since morning glory. i love the last pearl jam album for similar reasons: it was a warm, rocking album that got back to what they did best. to an oasis fan, they'd say the same about pearl jam you're saying about oasis. and to joe rock fan, he'd say they've both sucked since morning glory/vitalogy. :)
    stu gee wrote:

I agree with you about DBTT. I dont have any desire to listen to DBTT anytime soon. Only two good songs (neither of which I would put amongst their best), the rest are mediocre or bad.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

i'd argue the same can be said of pearl jam, who had been on an experimental decline before making a pretty tame back-to-basics album. it's in the eye of the beholder. if you're a pj fan, you will make excuses for how their mediocre albums are worth hearing and their new album is really good while not giving the same slack to oasis becos you have less invested. if you're an oasis fan, you'll have excuses for why be here now through the new one are worth hearing as well. to the casual fan, neither of these bands has done anything worth hearing since their second or third album. pesonally, oasis is in the same boat as pearl jam to me... a mediocre album by either band is better than 95% of what's out there. i happen to love the last oasis album, they haven't had that kind of bright, attitude album since morning glory. i love the last pearl jam album for similar reasons: it was a warm, rocking album that got back to what they did best. to an oasis fan, they'd say the same about pearl jam you're saying about oasis. and to joe rock fan, he'd say they've both sucked since morning glory/vitalogy. :)

I agree with that line of a mediocre album by either band is better than 95% of what I have heard out there. What shines for me on PJ's last album was the lyrics, I can relate to the lyrics on it more than any other album by them......cant really say the same about DBTT. I also thought DBTT was really going backwards, I cant stand that they pretty much eliminated all distortion and the songs are so simple that I can pick up my guitar and start playing along with them right away just by listening (I suck at guitar by the way)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I agree with that line of a mediocre album by either band is better than 95% of what I have heard out there. What shines for me on PJ's last album was the lyrics, I can relate to the lyrics on it more than any other album by them......cant really say the same about DBTT. I also thought DBTT was really going backwards, I cant stand that they pretty much eliminated all distortion and the songs are so simple that I can pick up my guitar and start playing along with them right away just by listening (I suck at guitar by the way)

i like that. they were at their best doing the straight ahead big pop rock sound. the album was so lively, as opposed to the 2 previous which were very tripped out and distant, let alone the bloated bombast of be here now.
  • not to interrupt the discussion, but does anyone here who follows oasis pretty closely know what's going on with them, and when or if they are working on a new record? i haven't kept up with them in the last couple years as much as i used to and i really have no idea.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    not to interrupt the discussion, but does anyone here who follows oasis pretty closely know what's going on with them, and when or if they are working on a new record? i haven't kept up with them in the last couple years as much as i used to and i really have no idea.

Possibly releasing their next album for free via download....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/09/nradiohead108.xml
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?