Oasis

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    neither did most of kurt cobain's lyrics. he admitted as much too.

As do almost all rock bands..........Even my absolute favorite bands have their share of shit music and shit lyrics
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Binaural wrote:
    Slip inside the eye of your mind
    Don't you know you might find
    A better place to play
    You said that you'd never been
    But all the things that you've seen
    Will slowly fade away

Aside from the tired and recyled words and imagery, this line alone shows the depth of their inability to form a coherent thought and articulate it. It makes no sense. Bravo Oasis, you've done it again.

i don't really understand why you think that line doesn't make sense.

it means that "you" said "you" had never been inside the eye of your mind.

it's even proper grammar. i don't understand your problem with it.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

He probably threw that in there just because been and seen dont rhyme
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    neither did most of kurt cobain's lyrics. he admitted as much too.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say with this post. I have never stated my appreciation for Nirvana's music, I didn;t even mention them. :confused:
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07

Start on it and finish on the sixth line.I meant to highlight the whole line (from 'you said' to 'fade away').

Dublin 08/06
  • Binaural wrote:
    Start on it and finish on the sixth line.I meant to highlight the whole line (from 'you said' to 'fade away').

i don't know. i interpret it as meaning you say that you've never been there (inside the eye of your mind) but if you go there (i.e. open you rmind), the things you think you knew before will be different.

it may not be A+ writing, but hey, it's rock and roll. and i've read more confusing/worse lines from many artists, from respected songwriters on down. i mean, that line makes as much sense as any bob dylan line... hell, some of the lyrics in pearl jam songs are worse than that. not that i'm comparing noel's songwriting abilities to dylan's, but i don't see why you point out this line in particular. it's just not that bad. oasis have far worse lyrics than this one.

sometimes you just gotta go with it. maybe it doesn't speak to you, but i'm sure it does to someone.
    i don't know. i interpret it as meaning you say that you've never been there (inside the eye of your mind) but if you go there (i.e. open you rmind), the things you think you knew before will be different.

it may not be A+ writing, but hey, it's rock and roll. and i've read more confusing/worse lines from many artists, from respected songwriters on down. i mean, that line makes as much sense as any bob dylan line... hell, some of the lyrics in pearl jam songs are worse than that. not that i'm comparing noel's songwriting abilities to dylan's, but i don't see why you point out this line in particular. it's just not that bad. oasis have far worse lyrics than this one.

sometimes you just gotta go with it. maybe it doesn't speak to you, but i'm sure it does to someone.
    What I am pointing out is exactly that, this is one of their BETTER lyrics!
    It is incredibly poor writing. It is inconcistent, vague to the point where it becomes obvious the writer doesn't know exactly what they're talking about.
    As for the Pearl Jam comment, Ed's 'worse' lyrics are at least consistent, he at least knows what he's TRYING to say. I'm not having a rip, and if you get a kick out of it fair enough. I simply replied to a post, a post which asked those who don't like them to explain themselves and I did that. Oasis show themselves to be nothing more than 'look at me! look at me! I want to be famous!' musicians who lack any substance. It simply irratates me that 'artists' like this get attention, they just don't deserve it.

Dublin 08/06
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i love all of Oasis' albums and think that the Gallaghers are hilarious...a typical music topic people get FAR too worked up about
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i'll have to say i'm a fan but the singing can get on my nerves if i listen to too much at one time.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • RockMan wrote:
    i'll have to say i'm a fan but the singing can get on my nerves if i listen to too much at one time.

Sounds like Morissey if he took a shot of helium.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • I can understand why people can hate them.. he's got a whiney voice, they're pretty trendy, etc. But the music is seriously great.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I can understand why people can hate them.. he's got a whiney voice, they're pretty trendy, etc. But the music is seriously great.

Good point. We got enough whiney Brits in the 80's.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Binaural wrote:
    I don't understand what you're trying to say with this post. I have never stated my appreciation for Nirvana's music, I didn;t even mention them. :confused:

just saying that lyrics don't have to be metaphysical poetry to make a band a good one. plenty of great bands have lyrics that are more impressionistic than springsteen-style storytelling and there's nothing wrong with that. shit, i cant make heads or tails of 95% of bob dylan's lyrics. acid-fueled gibberish by and large. ditto for many of the later beatles lyrics. jim morrison, the so-called poet, made lesss sense than a drunk talking politics at your local bar. oasis lyrics are nothing special, but they're no worse than half the lyrics considered brilliant by some of the mindless acolytes around here. shit, i dont CARE if i always know what ed's "point" is with a song. that doesn't mean some of his lyrics don't suck (or jeff's or matt's). besides, who said every song has to make some sort of grand social statement to be good?
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    Noel Gallagher is a songwriter god imo. Just listen to The Masterplan. That album is better then most best-of records out there and it's a freaking b-sides album.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    If you hate them, please explain yourself. I listened to them in the beginning and then just kinda stopped for awhile during what seems to be a backlash against them but after hearing Stop Crying Your Heart Out at the end of Butterfly Effect I went back and listened to the stuff I missed out on and realized that they are actually an amazing band that have constantly produced great music. Do you guys hate them only because of things they said to the media or do you hate their music? If you hate the music, why?

Oasis was my favorite band back when i was in high school. i used to be obsessed with these guys. they were making great music early in their career. i think the first three albums were great and the masterplan which was b-sides was great too. i can't believe stop crying your hear out got you back into them though because i always thought that was a rather weak song during the weakest period of their career. anyway i say these guys live for the second time a couple years ago when they were touring for don't believe the truth and they can definatly still rock. they put on a hell of a show despite what anyone says. i know they just stand there but thats their whole shtick. anyway their albums haven't been too good since be here now but once in a while noel will have a gem. it seems to me most of their good songs now are the ones that he sings himself. i also think it was a bad move to let liam start writing songs. i don't know though, i say they still have the POTENTIAL of putting out another great album, i just don't see it happening. I think noel should try a solo album, i'm sure it would be better than what oasis is doing now. anyway regardless of all the bullshit i will always like this band.
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Oasis in my opinion is one of the greatest ever bands in the 90's, considering that they were a phenomenon in the UK and the US back then, not to mention they wrote absolutely great music. Their first 3 albums are solidas hell, although Be Here Now is somehow badmouthed by everyone.

But when SOTSOG was released, they could never re-capture their past glories. In the UK I observed that they are still strong and their fanbase is still huge. But in the US it seems there's something wrong, either with the band or us the American people. The last time I heard a song which was heavily played on the radio was Don't Go Away , which is on Be Here Now. Go Let it Out was in heavy rotation initially, but quickly faded, as their popularity in the States.

In a nutshell, Oasis is a good band, but I doubt they will be great again.
    just saying that lyrics don't have to be metaphysical poetry to make a band a good one. plenty of great bands have lyrics that are more impressionistic than springsteen-style storytelling and there's nothing wrong with that. shit, i cant make heads or tails of 95% of bob dylan's lyrics. acid-fueled gibberish by and large. ditto for many of the later beatles lyrics. jim morrison, the so-called poet, made lesss sense than a drunk talking politics at your local bar. oasis lyrics are nothing special, but they're no worse than half the lyrics considered brilliant by some of the mindless acolytes around here. shit, i dont CARE if i always know what ed's "point" is with a song. that doesn't mean some of his lyrics don't suck (or jeff's or matt's). besides, who said every song has to make some sort of grand social statement to be good?
    Oasis songs are fuled by tired cliches that Noel or lIam seem unable to understand. Shit anyone can write a contrived piece of shit like wonderwall. What I'm saying is they have neither ability or substance, I really don't see what they have going for them.

Dublin 08/06
    Binaural wrote:
    Oasis songs are fuled by tired cliches that Noel or lIam seem unable to understand. Shit anyone can write a contrived piece of shit like wonderwall. What I'm saying is they have neither ability or substance, I really don't see what they have going for them.

haha. thats the most ridiculous statement i've heard in a long time. wonderwall was a great song. it's simplicity is what made it so great....and i don't want to get into a beatles comparison debate, but the same thing that made that a great song is what made so many of the beatles early songs classics. i know they have some ridiculous lyrics but they did write some classic tunes. why don't you go write you're own wonderwall if you think anyone could do it....because if you could you should have an album out. noel gallagher is a very good songwriter. and if you think i'm being biased and i'm just trying to defend everything oasis does than you're wrong and you could look up at my original post about them, but that's just a stupid comment you made.
  • haha. thats the most ridiculous statement i've heard in a long time. wonderwall was a great song. it's simplicity is what made it so great....and i don't want to get into a beatles comparison debate, but the same thing that made that a great song is what made so many of the beatles early songs classics. i know they have some ridiculous lyrics but they did write some classic tunes. why don't you go write you're own wonderwall if you think anyone could do it....because if you could you should have an album out. noel gallagher is a very good songwriter. and if you think i'm being biased and i'm just trying to defend everything oasis does than you're wrong and you could look up at my original post about them, but that's just a stupid comment you made.
    exactly.

"Make our day"
    haha. thats the most ridiculous statement i've heard in a long time. wonderwall was a great song. it's simplicity is what made it so great....and i don't want to get into a beatles comparison debate, but the same thing that made that a great song is what made so many of the beatles early songs classics. i know they have some ridiculous lyrics but they did write some classic tunes. why don't you go write you're own wonderwall if you think anyone could do it....because if you could you should have an album out. noel gallagher is a very good songwriter. and if you think i'm being biased and i'm just trying to defend everything oasis does than you're wrong and you could look up at my original post about them, but that's just a stupid comment you made.

Look if we are tossing out labels such as ridiculous be careful how you word your reply. The fact that the lyrics are balls does not stop a song from selling, the poor lyrics are subsidised by good voices and catchy music (catchy, not nessacerily great). I also said how Wonderwall was a poorly written and contrived song, I think its fair to say that anyone can write a porrly written and contrived song, I never said anyone can write a song and have it be as successful as Wonderwall.

Dublin 08/06
  • Oasis is rock and roll. Everything they do is rock and roll. They're songs are rock and roll, they're attitudes are straight rock and roll. They're shows are absolute rock and roll. They're arrogant and write songs about telling the world to fook off. Just baffles me they don't get the respect they deserve for being the most pure rock and roll band out there.

And for the record, I believe Noel Gallagher is by far a better songwriter then Eddie Vedder. how long did it take Vedder to hone his skills, sure he's a great lyricist but look at the credits to the songs in the early going of Pearl Jam. We all know Stone was behind most of those riffs of their early stuff, the classics we all love. Noel, on the other hand wrote song after song for Oasis. Definitely Maybe is pure Noel, as is WTSMG. Both are two of the best albums of the 90s.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • I like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl-C_XqhiPY

A Cold and frosty morning there's not a lot to say
    About the things caught in my mind
    As the day was dawning my plane flew away
    With all the things caught in my mind
    And I wanna be there when you're...
    Coming down
    And I wanna be there when you hit the ground
    So don't go away say what you say
    But say that you'll stay
    Forever and a day...in the time of my life
    Cos I need more time yes I need more time
    Just to make things right
    Damn my situation and the games I have to play
    With all the things caught in my mind
    Damn my education I can't find the words to say
    About all the things caught in my mind
    Me and you what's going on?
    All we seem to know is how to show
    The feelings that are wrong
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Champagne Supernova is one of my favourite songs of the 90s. I can't count the number of times I've overlooked that song and then come back to it years later only to realize how much I truly love it. They have definitely tarnished their career since then though. I would go see them if they came to Winnipeg.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
    Binaural wrote:

yeah, wonderwall is a contrived piece of shit and wishlist is... genius? thin air? soon forget? those are some REALLY deep and original lyrics arent they? :rolleyes:
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    i didn`t like this band.
    Their hair-style Sucks!!!!!
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
    yeah, wonderwall is a contrived piece of shit and wishlist is... genius? thin air? soon forget? those are some REALLY deep and original lyrics arent they? :rolleyes:
    You really show the measure of your arguement there.
    What are you twelve? Did I say those Pj songs were flawless, the best ever written? No.
    What have you said in favour of Wonderwall? "Ummmm, but Pj write some poor songs."
    Wo, how can I reply to that? :rolleyes:

Dublin 08/06
  • gleemonex wrote:
    Champagne Supernova is one of my favourite songs of the 90s. I can't count the number of times I've overlooked that song and then come back to it years later only to realize how much I truly love it. They have definitely tarnished their career since then though. I would go see them if they came to Winnipeg.
    I can't listen to that song because if I do I IMMEDIATELY fall into a heavy depression and don't come out of it for weeks (I'm serious, weeks). It's a beautiful song.

"Make our day"
  • My fav Oasis album is actually "Be Here Now" for some reason. I never got into "WTS Morning Glory" as I never undertood why songs like "Wonderwall & Champagne Supernova" were so transcendent.

I saw them live in 2000 & 2004 and I could have swore I was at the same concert with the exception of a couple tracks here and there

I do love buzz-bombs like "Supersonic" & "My big Mouth." I think "Acquiece" is my fav b-side ever
    Binaural wrote:
    You really show the measure of your arguement there.
    What are you twelve? Did I say those Pj songs were flawless, the best ever written? No.
    What have you said in favour of Wonderwall? "Ummmm, but Pj write some poor songs."
    Wo, how can I reply to that? :rolleyes:

my point being, simplicity does not equal bad. where'd the thread go about fun music? you're one of the pretentious folks referred to in that thread... go put on some emo and cry to yourself some more. cos music can't be any good unless it takes itself more seriously than scott stapp takes his jesus poses. most bands would kill to write a song like wonderwall and many rock legends have flat out said as much. from ryan adams to pete townshend. it's a fantastic song and just becos the album sold more copies than your pathetic little favorite indie band with its mopey, depressing lyrics will print in its career and liam impregnanted your mother when she was part of the groupie gangbang doesn't mean you can deny the fact that noel has more talent in his little finger than most musicians will show in a lifetime. you may not like their style or their music, but there's no denying he is one of the great songwriters of the last generation. what bands do you like that are so original? if you're going to blast noel for writing simple tunes, you better only like bands like queen or something. cos 98% of rock music is so simple and cliched an monkey could do it.

as said in almost famous, rock music is gloriously dumb. what makes it good is not the fact that they used an obscure tuning to be soooo original, but that they can write something that connects with people. and wonderwall reached more people than most bands will reach in a lifetime.
    my point being, simplicity does not equal bad. where'd the thread go about fun music? you're one of the pretentious folks referred to in that thread... go put on some emo and cry to yourself some more. cos music can't be any good unless it takes itself more seriously than scott stapp takes his jesus poses. most bands would kill to write a song like wonderwall and many rock legends have flat out said as much. from ryan adams to pete townshend. it's a fantastic song and just becos the album sold more copies than your pathetic little favorite indie band with its mopey, depressing lyrics will print in its career and liam impregnanted your mother when she was part of the groupie gangbang doesn't mean you can deny the fact that noel has more talent in his little finger than most musicians will show in a lifetime. you may not like their style or their music, but there's no denying he is one of the great songwriters of the last generation. what bands do you like that are so original? if you're going to blast noel for writing simple tunes, you better only like bands like queen or something. cos 98% of rock music is so simple and cliched an monkey could do it.

as said in almost famous, rock music is gloriously dumb. what makes it good is not the fact that they used an obscure tuning to be soooo original, but that they can write something that connects with people. and wonderwall reached more people than most bands will reach in a lifetime.

this thread is getting pretty good. that is well put. i'm glad everyone is putting binaural in his place because he doesn't know what he is talking about. OASIS!