Oasis

Comments

• BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    my point being, simplicity does not equal bad. where'd the thread go about fun music? you're one of the pretentious folks referred to in that thread... go put on some emo and cry to yourself some more. cos music can't be any good unless it takes itself more seriously than scott stapp takes his jesus poses. most bands would kill to write a song like wonderwall and many rock legends have flat out said as much. from ryan adams to pete townshend. it's a fantastic song and just becos the album sold more copies than your pathetic little favorite indie band with its mopey, depressing lyrics will print in its career and liam impregnanted your mother when she was part of the groupie gangbang doesn't mean you can deny the fact that noel has more talent in his little finger than most musicians will show in a lifetime. you may not like their style or their music, but there's no denying he is one of the great songwriters of the last generation. what bands do you like that are so original? if you're going to blast noel for writing simple tunes, you better only like bands like queen or something. cos 98% of rock music is so simple and cliched an monkey could do it.

as said in almost famous, rock music is gloriously dumb. what makes it good is not the fact that they used an obscure tuning to be soooo original, but that they can write something that connects with people. and wonderwall reached more people than most bands will reach in a lifetime.
    Wow, bitter much?
    Im the pretentious one? You're the one making personal attacks on me. I don't dislike Oasis because they're not writing about politics or world poverty, I dislike them because I find their music to be fake, I get the impression that they fake emotion.
    "Rock music is gloriously dumb". Thats just fucking stupid. So if music is intelligent or complex it's not rock music? Now who's being pretentious?
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    this thread is getting pretty good. that is well put. i'm glad everyone is putting binaural in his place because he doesn't know what he is talking about. OASIS!
    Because I express an opinion contrary to yours? This is what I hate about people like you. Look, don't interact on a message board if you are not willing to be exposed to or engage with opinions contrary to your own. Your immaturity and pettiness is a poor reflection upon yourself.

Dublin 08/06
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Binaural wrote:
    Wow, bitter much?
    Im the pretentious one? You're the one making personal attacks on me. I don't dislike Oasis because they're not writing about politics or world poverty, I dislike them because I find their music to be fake, I get the impression that they fake emotion.
    "Rock music is gloriously dumb". Thats just fucking stupid. So if music is intelligent or complex it's not rock music? Now who's being pretentious?

no, it's still rock. but when you start taking yourself too seriously and thinking rock is anything more than a pleasant aural and emotional experience, you're stupid. rock can be all over the spectrum, and just becos it's not about poverty doesn't mean it's fake. rock and roll cannot change the world. sometimes it's just about having a good time and celebrating life.

now if oasis music rings false to you, that's one thing and sure, it's a legit perception and opinion. but it's one thing to say you dont like them becos you think they're fake and another to say that noel cant write, when the rest of the world, including those who dont like oasis, have acknowledged that he's damn good at what he does. just becos his songs aren't to you taste or liking doesn't mean he's a poor writer.
  • as said in almost famous, rock music is gloriously dumb. what makes it good is not the fact that they used an obscure tuning to be soooo original, but that they can write something that connects with people. and wonderwall reached more people than most bands will reach in a lifetime.
    Very well said. Sonic Youth's weird tunings, Bob Dylan's often indecipherable lyrics, Pink Floyd's concepts and meticulous arrangements,... all icing on the cake. Oasis is great representation of the backbone of rock music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    no, it's still rock. but when you start taking yourself too seriously and thinking rock is anything more than a pleasant aural and emotional experience, you're stupid. rock can be all over the spectrum, and just becos it's not about poverty doesn't mean it's fake. rock and roll cannot change the world. sometimes it's just about having a good time and celebrating life.

now if oasis music rings false to you, that's one thing and sure, it's a legit perception and opinion. but it's one thing to say you dont like them becos you think they're fake and another to say that noel cant write, when the rest of the world, including those who dont like oasis, have acknowledged that he's damn good at what he does. just becos his songs aren't to you taste or liking doesn't mean he's a poor writer.
    IN MY OPINION I believe his writing ability to be poor. I believe the emotion in the songs to be artificial.
    Its that easy.
    I don't know any other way to say it: I DISLIKE THEM FOR THE ABOVE REASONS. The poverty shit I have no idea where youre getting it from.

Dublin 08/06
  • brainofPjB wrote:
    Just baffles me they don't get the respect they deserve for being the most pure rock and roll band out there.
    I dunno about that...

Foo Fighters have a purity to them that's always attracted me.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Binaural wrote:
    Because I express an opinion contrary to yours? This is what I hate about people like you. Look, don't interact on a message board if you are not willing to be exposed to or engage with opinions contrary to your own. Your immaturity and pettiness is a poor reflection upon yourself.

this is what you hate about people like me? as if you know anything about me at all from a post i made on a message board about one rock band. anyway i'm always willing to hear other opinions. i just think that based on you're arguments you are just trashing oasis because you don't care for their music, which is fine, but at least admit that that is why you are putting them down. tell everyone that despite the fact that noel gallagher is a gifted songwriter, and despite the fact that oasis put out arguably two of the most important rock albums of the 90's, i just hate those assholes and i'm pissed off that they were successful so i'm gonna tell everyone what shite songwriters and lousy performers they are....because they're lyrics don't make any sense to me and their songs are too damn good for how simple they are and it pisses me off.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    this is what you hate about people like me? as if you know anything about me at all from a post i made on a message board about one rock band. anyway i'm always willing to hear other opinions. i just think that based on you're arguments you are just trashing oasis because you don't care for their music, which is fine, but at least admit that that is why you are putting them down. tell everyone that despite the fact that noel gallagher is a gifted songwriter, and despite the fact that oasis put out arguably two of the most important rock albums of the 90's, i just hate those assholes and i'm pissed off that they were successful so i'm gonna tell everyone what shite songwriters and lousy performers they are....because they're lyrics don't make any sense to me and their songs are too damn good for how simple they are and it pisses me off.

Good work, I think the people that hate Oasis dont know enough about them and arent willing to give them a chance because its not exactly fashionable to like their music, I was once one of those people too but then I opened myself up to their highly addictive/catchy music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Wow, this post is mindblowing, you are actually reatarded.
    This is the horseshit you come off with just because I don't like Oasis? The word repressed comes to mind.

Dublin 08/06
    Binaural wrote:
    Wow, this post is mindblowing, you are actually reatarded.
    This is the horseshit you come off with just because I don't like Oasis? The word repressed comes to mind.

no it's not because you don't like oasis, it's because you won't give them credit for actually being descent musicians just because you don't care for them. anyway what are you surprised about, isn't the point of this thread to argue about whether or not you like oasis. thats why i came on here, so maybe you're retarded for coming on here and bashing oasis and not expecting any negative feedback.
    no it's not because you don't like oasis, it's because you won't give them credit for actually being descent musicians just because you don't care for them. anyway what are you surprised about, isn't the point of this thread to argue about whether or not you like oasis. thats why i came on here, so maybe you're retarded for coming on here and bashing oasis and not expecting any negative feedback.
    And I am entitled to my opinion. As there is no grading criterea for judging this, its all subjective. The point isn't to agrue but to debate. I don't mind negative feedback, but I don't expect a bithcing session with an asshole because I don't idolise a couple of self indulgent pretenious pillocks from manchester.

Dublin 08/06

are you from the uk? cos i've noticed people from the uk tend to hate oasis becos of how big they are. they are HUGE in the uk and they get oasis rammed down their throats all the time, so i see how they start to resent and hate oasis. i dont know if we've got anyone comparable here... maybe u2 or britney or something.

i dont think we in the states realize just how much press oasis gets over there. likewise, i dont think people from the uk realize how relatively unknown and irrelevant oasis is over here. most people dont know they released anything after 1994 and know no songs outside wonderwall, their only hit in the us. i kinda feel bad for them... it's nice to be able to hear oasis without the hype and loaded media attention.
    are you from the uk? cos i've noticed people from the uk tend to hate oasis becos of how big they are. they are HUGE in the uk and they get oasis rammed down their throats all the time, so i see how they start to resent and hate oasis. i dont know if we've got anyone comparable here... maybe u2 or britney or something.

i dont think we in the states realize just how much press oasis gets over there. likewise, i dont think people from the uk realize how relatively unknown and irrelevant oasis is over here. most people dont know they released anything after 1994 and know no songs outside wonderwall, their only hit in the us. i kinda feel bad for them... it's nice to be able to hear oasis without the hype and loaded media attention.

no i'm from the u.s.......yeah i don't know, i feel like i'm becoming a spokesman for oasis on this thread, but i personally don't think they're that great anymore either. they're still a good live band and occasionally they'll put out a good song......like the importance of being idle (great tune) but other than that i haven't heard much great material from them since be here now and the masterplan which as you know was just an album of b-sides. i would love to see them return to the form of the glory days but i think liam's voice is gone, and noel shouldn't let him write his own songs anymore.
  • A friend of mine did some session drums for one Oasis album. I'm not mentioning the name of the drummer, or the Oasis album (except to say it was a fairly early one), but this bloke was asked to come in and fix drum parts, because things were getting a bit crazy in the studio. He's done the same for other bands I'll not mention.
  • the importance of being idle (great tune)

Ah, but, have you ever heard Dead End Street, by The Kinks, or even seen the original promo film the band did for the song?

http://www.noolmusic.com/blogs/YouTube_Music_Videos_60s_70s_-_Kinks_-_Dead_End_Street.shtml

Sound/look familiar?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-1E6UEAZRM
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    I don't know why it's gotten in to me wade into this discussion, but I really, really dislike Oasis, even their early stuff. It has nothing to do with all of the bad publicity and weird behavior. And I believe that they put on a good live show. I just hate their songs, even their early hits. I think I gave them more than a fair chance, since I seem to have been surrounded by Oasis admirers.

I'm not very dogmatic about these things, and I'm willing to listen to almost everything, but I equate Oasis with structured noise.
    this thread inspired me to load my ipod with the "stop the clocks tracklist" (taken from my cd's, i didnt bother to buy it since i had all the songs). im curious to hear how they play out, though we could probly argue for days about what great songs are missing.
    this thread inspired me to load my ipod with the "stop the clocks tracklist" (taken from my cd's, i didnt bother to buy it since i had all the songs). im curious to hear how they play out, though we could probly argue for days about what great songs are missing.

Very disappointing greatest hits, the tracklisting is a bit ridiculous and they only put 9 songs on each cd
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Very disappointing greatest hits, the tracklisting is a bit ridiculous and they only put 9 songs on each cd

it's no rearviewmirror, that's for sure. they coulda fit all their singles on 2 discs with ease i think. it clocks in at 87 minutes... barely over one cd.
    it's no rearviewmirror, that's for sure. they coulda fit all their singles on 2 discs with ease i think. it clocks in at 87 minutes... barely over one cd.

Rearviewmirror is possibly the best greatest hits ever
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I know a lot of people who thought Oasis were great for the first 2 albums (myself included). Now I don't know anyone who would bother to see them in there own back garden.... but hey they still sell the tickets.

I'm just bored with them. Liams antics, Noels mumbling, boring songs.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    check out the set that Noel played last night at the Teenage Cancer Trust show. unreal. hope someone was taping.

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/27330
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    lowlight10 wrote:
    check out the set that Noel played last night at the Teenage Cancer Trust show. unreal. hope someone was taping.

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/27330

that's cool, but im pretty sure he's wrong about having never played dont go away before. i swear i saw the band play it on snl once. then again, maybe they were all so coked up they cant remember :)
  • that's cool, but im pretty sure he's wrong about having never played dont go away before. i swear i saw the band play it on snl once. then again, maybe they were all so coked up they cant remember :)

yeah they definitely did play it on snl. i always get pissed that noel and the band snub those songs, they are for the most part great songs (especially "don't go away"). maybe the studio versions are a little pretentious and lengthy, but they could fix 'em up for a live show. or re-record them and release it again. yeah. i'd like that.
  • I am not saying this to start an argument or anything, but i am being 100% honest. I really really really really really really really really really hate Oasis. I hate their music. I hate their crappy "Yellow Submarine"-ripoff videos, I hate those idiot brothers and the ridiculous way they behave, I hate everything about them.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    I am not saying this to start an argument or anything, but i am being 100% honest. I really really really really really really really really really hate Oasis. I hate their music. I hate their crappy "Yellow Submarine"-ripoff videos, I hate those idiot brothers and the ridiculous way they behave, I hate everything about them.

Hating rock and roll is a serious intolarable crime
    Rearviewmirror is possibly the best greatest hits ever

yeah, i liked that they didnt try to rewrite history and just picked their biggest songs and singles. sure, a lot of my personal favs werent on there, but definitely had all the big pearl jam songs and it plays great. to compare, here are all of oasis' singles over the years... many of which were huge songs but left off the compilation for no apparent reason.

supersonic
    shakermaker
    live forever
    cigarettes & alcohol
    whatever
    some might say
    roll with it
    morning glory
    wonderwall
    dont look back in anger
    champagne supernova
    dyou know what i mean
    stand by me
    all around the world
    dont go away
    go let it out
    who feels love?
    sunday morning call
    the hindu times
    stop crying your heart out
    little by little
    she is love
    songbird
    lyla
    the importance of being idle
    let there be love
  • Besides all the antics, Oasis is a great rock n roll band. Bottom line.
    "I don't wanna go, from Toronto!!!" - EV '06
  • Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    Personally I like Oasis. I can live without Liam, I'd rather listen to Noel. The MTV unplugged where Liam bailed and then talked trash to Noel, when he in my opinion dominated was enough for me to disregard Liam.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
    Boss302 wrote:
    Personally I like Oasis. I can live without Liam, I'd rather listen to Noel. The MTV unplugged where Liam bailed and then talked trash to Noel, when he in my opinion dominated was enough for me to disregard Liam.

He used to have a great voice back in the day, nowadays he is sounding like Kermit.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006