Oasis

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited October 2007 in Other Music
If you hate them, please explain yourself. I listened to them in the beginning and then just kinda stopped for awhile during what seems to be a backlash against them but after hearing Stop Crying Your Heart Out at the end of Butterfly Effect I went back and listened to the stuff I missed out on and realized that they are actually an amazing band that have constantly produced great music. Do you guys hate them only because of things they said to the media or do you hate their music? If you hate the music, why?
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    This is all personal opinion so if someone likes it and others dont then its no big deal! Doesnt mean eitehr person is right or wrong.

Definitley maybe and Whats the story... are both excellent albums, but since then i havent heard anything that has really grabbed me. The new material is pretty boring in my opinion too.

One of the most over rated bands in recent years in my opinion, although i know loads of my friends love everything they do.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    stu gee wrote:
    This is all personal opinion so if someone likes it and others dont then its no big deal! Doesnt mean eitehr person is right or wrong.

Definitley maybe and Whats the story... are both excellent albums, but since then i havent heard anything that has really grabbed me. The new material is pretty boring in my opinion too.

One of the most over rated bands in recent years in my opinion, although i know loads of my friends love everything they do.

Overrated over there....maybe....but they get no credit at all here
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I liked Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory, but starting with Be Here Now, it started sounding like the same songs over and over only with different lyrics. I don't hate them or change the song when they come on, but it's not like I get excited about their music anymore.
    Overrated over there....maybe....but they get no credit at all here

I didnt know that. They should definitely be credited with writing some fantastic songs, because as i said, DM and WTSMG are both great albums. I just think that since then most of their stuff has been pretty mediocre. The masterplan was ok, but standing on the shoulder of giants was awful in my opinion.

Im sure what i think is awful will be regarded as great by others though, so each to their own.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    stu gee wrote:
    I didnt know that. They should definitely be credited with writing some fantastic songs, because as i said, DM and WTSMG are both great albums. I just think that since then most of their stuff has been pretty mediocre. The masterplan was ok, but standing on the shoulder of giants was awful in my opinion.

Im sure what i think is awful will be regarded as great by others though, so each to their own.

You gotta at least admit that Gas Panic is an amazing song
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• If you hate them, please explain yourself. I listened to them in the beginning and then just kinda stopped for awhile during what seems to be a backlash against them but after hearing Stop Crying Your Heart Out at the end of Butterfly Effect I went back and listened to the stuff I missed out on and realized that they are actually an amazing band that have constantly produced great music. Do you guys hate them only because of things they said to the media or do you hate their music? If you hate the music, why?

They never really evolved. It's like the same songs regurgitated over and over again. Maybe it was because they were so successful so early in their careers? PJ is one of the few bands that overcame that pitfall. Also probably has a lot to do with their personas. People just don't generally respond well to arrogance and they were very arrogant at the beginning of their career.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    Gas Panic is ok, but it all sounds a bit samey to me. Im not saying they are a bad band, i just dont think they are as good as some people will have you believe.

I think with Oasis there are people who overlook them completely and call them rubbish but i think from just listening to DM and WTSMG you can tell that is not true.

On the other hand, over here at least, there are people who wont hear a word against them and claim that they are far better than they really are.
    They never really evolved. It's like the same songs regurgitated over and over again. Maybe it was because they were so successful so early in their careers? PJ is one of the few bands that overcame that pitfall. Also probably has a lot to do with their personas. People just don't generally respond well to arrogance and they were very arrogant at the beginning of their career.

The part about them not evolving isnt true whatsoever, listen to some songs off of Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Dont Believe The Truth............you would no longer be able to truthfully say that
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619

not true. check out the last album. Mucky Fingers, Part of the Queue, The Importance of Being Idle--all very unique in style.

I am probably one of the few people who actually hated them during the Live Forever/Wonderwall phase, then caught on during Be Here Now (a VERY underrated album) and have been a devoted fan ever since.

at this point, I am sick to death of Liam. the guy's ego is overinflated, which I dont really care about as long as he performs musically, but his singing has fallen off, and he is the reason that they play the same 10 old songs every freakin night for the last 5 years. Noel needs to ditch Liam, make a solo album or a Liam-less Oasis album, and tour theaters like he did for the promo tour last year.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • The part about them not evolving isnt true whatsoever, listen to some songs off of Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Dont Believe The Truth............you would no longer be able to truthfully say that

Whatever floats your boat. They just don't excite me in the least. Just being honest.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    lowlight10 wrote:
    not true. check out the last album. Mucky Fingers, Part of the Queue, The Importance of Being Idle--all very unique in style.

I am probably one of the few people who actually hated them during the Live Forever/Wonderwall phase, then caught on during Be Here Now (a VERY underrated album) and have been a devoted fan ever since.

at this point, I am sick to death of Liam. the guy's ego is overinflated , which I dont really care as long as he performs musically, but his singing has fallen off, and he is the reason that they play the same 10 old songs every freakin night for the last 5 years. Noel needs to ditch Liam, make a solo album or a Liam-less Oasis album, and tour theaters like he did for the promo tour last year.

Did you go to the show at UIC a couple summers ago?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    stu gee wrote:

it is pretty amazing. form what i understand they are HUGE in the uk and get more ass-kissing than any other band. over here in the states, nobody can name a single oasis song besides wonderwall. all those legendary singles from definitely maybe... i've only heard live forever on the radio here and that happened once. it's unbelievable how different the band is treated here. i like it though cos i love oasis. yeah, they haven't really topped what's the story (though their last album was excellent) but they always release solid albums. plus, not being so hyped over here has meant i dont get annoyed with them the way brit fans seem to...
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Oasis peaked with Definitely Maybe. It was and still is one of the finest albums of all time, let alone one of the finest debuts.

Sadly, it all went downhill from there, or at least after the Some Might Say single which was the last really good song they ever released.

Be Here Now had one or two nice moments at best but was lazy for the most part and too clogged down in look at me I'm a celebrity, I can get Johnny Depp to play guitar on my album type nonsense.

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants is definitely the lowest point in Oasis' career. Anyone who says they've listened to this album in the last 5 years is probably lying. Noel should never have let Liam write songs....Little James was an embarrassment! Maybe he only agreed to it being on there to make his own songs look better cos all of SOTSOG is rubbish.

Heathen Chemistry.....you'd be hard pushed to find many people who can even name a song from that record.

Don't Believe The Truth was heralded as a return to form for Oasis......yeah, it was okay-ish but a return to form it certainly was not.

I saw them play in late 2005 and it was obvious that even the abnd want to forget their middle albums. The set comprised only songs from the latest album and the first two.....they obviously, quite rightly know, no one is interested in hearing them play anything else.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    I much prefer WTSMG to DM.
    Oasis peaked with Definitely Maybe. It was and still is one of the finest albums of all time, let alone one of the finest debuts.

Sadly, it all went downhill from there, or at least after the Some Might Say single which was the last really good song they ever released.

Be Here Now had one or two nice moments at best but was lazy for the most part and too clogged down in look at me I'm a celebrity, I can get Johnny Depp to play guitar on my album type nonsense.

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants is definitely the lowest point in Oasis' career. Anyone who says they've listened to this album in the last 5 years is probably lying. Noel should never have let Liam write songs....Little James was an embarrassment! Maybe he only agreed to it being on there to make his own songs look better cos all of SOTSOG is rubbish.

Heathen Chemistry.....you'd be hard pushed to find many people who can even name a song from that record.

Don't Believe The Truth was heralded as a return to form for Oasis......yeah, it was okay-ish but a return to form it certainly was not.

I saw them play in late 2005 and it was obvious that even the abnd want to forget their middle albums. The set comprised only songs from the latest album and the first two.....they obviously, quite rightly know, no one is interested in hearing them play anything else.

Why would you see them in concert if you dislike their music so much?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Why would you see them in concert if you dislike their music so much?

Foo Fighters were supporting....they were the reason we went.

I don't dislike all of Oasis' music......like I said, Definitely Maybe is one of the greatest albums ever, and that night they were really good because they played their best stuff. Oasis gigs these days are a bit like karaoke.....you go to sing along to the old songs, and it's great fun.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    I find the Foo Fighters to be much more average than Oasis
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Well I'll be the hater here. I can't stand them. Horrible singing. Unoriginal music. Sorry guys I just don't see what you like about them but hey that's cool. We all have different tastes but our common denominator is PJ so all is good.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    it's pretty obvious the original poster has a huge Oasis-bias.

Tell me, who do you consider a better songwriter: Noel Gallagher or Eddie Vedder. If you believe Noel is a better songwriter, please tell me why

Thanks
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    it's pretty obvious the original poster has a huge Oasis-bias.

Tell me, who do you consider a better songwriter: Noel Gallagher or Eddie Vedder. If you believe Noel is a better songwriter, please tell me why

Thanks

I like both equally
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• i used to love them, but now i hate them. the lyrics are pure fuckin shite, most of them mean nothing and are just words put down on paper like noel opened a dictionary and just pointed at random words and made a tune out of it, also they must have ripped of the chords of a number of bands, eg, doors, rolling stones and the beatles. their music is just recycled shite that gets on peoples nerves
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    If you hate them, please explain yourself.
    Because they are self-invlolved wankers who make music about dick all. Honestly. I'd love for someone to explain why anyone SHOULD like them.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I love them. I just think they're one of those bands you either love or you hate. It's always been that way with people I know.

I would love for Noel to either create a solo album or make an Oasis record without Liam. The funny thing is that I dont think Oasis would have ever become insanely popular without him, but now I think that they'd be better off if he wasn't the lead singer anymore.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    i used to love them, but now i hate them. the lyrics are pure fuckin shite, most of them mean nothing and are just words put down on paper like noel opened a dictionary and just pointed at random words and made a tune out of it, also they must have ripped of the chords of a number of bands, eg, doors, rolling stones and the beatles. their music is just recycled shite that gets on peoples nerves

lmao, nice
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • RabbitrocksRabbitrocks Posts: 101
    You gotta at least admit that Gas Panic is an amazing song

Gas Panic is by far their best song, IMO.
    I love Slide Away too, but for more sentimental reasons.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    Did you go to the show at UIC a couple summers ago?

yeah, i was there. it was mediocre. good stage show, but again, the same songs theyve been playing for years. bust out some other stuff if Liam can be bothered to show up to soundcheck. i had tickets to see them at Riverside Theater in Milwaukee shortly after that but I got rid of them because they were playing the exact same set still.

i saw them in 1998 at rosemont horizon, which I think was there best tour. touring behind a great album, and noel's acoustic sets were amazing.

then i saw them at 3 theater shows between 2000 and 2003. smaller venues = better for them in the states.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Love them or hate them, you've gotta love the cover of "hey hey my my" from Familiar To Millions.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Slip inside the eye of your mind
    Don't you know you might find
    A better place to play
    You said that you'd never been
    But all the things that you've seen
    Will slowly fade away

Aside from the tired and recyled words and imagery, this line alone shows the depth of their inability to form a coherent thought and articulate it. It makes no sense. Bravo Oasis, you've done it again.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Binaural wrote:
    Slip inside the eye of your mind
    Don't you know you might find
    A better place to play
    You said that you'd never been
    But all the things that you've seen
    Will slowly fade away

Aside from the tired and recyled words and imagery, this line alone shows the depth of their inability to form a coherent thought and articulate it. It makes no sense. Bravo Oasis, you've done it again.

neither did most of kurt cobain's lyrics. he admitted as much too.
    lowlight10 wrote:
    yeah, i was there. it was mediocre. good stage show, but again, the same songs theyve been playing for years. bust out some other stuff if Liam can be bothered to show up to soundcheck. i had tickets to see them at Riverside Theater in Milwaukee shortly after that but I got rid of them because they were playing the exact same set still.

i saw them in 1998 at rosemont horizon, which I think was there best tour. touring behind a great album, and noel's acoustic sets were amazing.

then i saw them at 3 theater shows between 2000 and 2003. smaller venues = better for them in the states.

That Riverside show was like 10 times better than the UIC one, you missed out. Your right though, they only played like 3 or 4 different songs but it was still a great time.........met them after the show too
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006