Options

*-*-*-*-*- Official Primus Thread *-*-*-*-*-*

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    sj_2150 wrote:
    dont forget buddy rich...

I couldn't if I tried. I just brought up 2 drummers out of like 100 I could have :)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    BinFrog wrote:
    I couldn't if I tried. I just brought up 2 drummers out of like 100 I could have :)

yeah, well ive always considered him one of my top 4 drummers and id say skill wise he was the best... or ed saughnessy from johny carson
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    dennis chambers and buddy rich! genious
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    dude i was like you, but you have to see these guys for yourself. i didnt care much for jazz, until my uncle took me to this jazz bar, and i instantly became a jazz fan. theyre incredibly techinical and can sometimes be really heavy. no joke! most people think that double bass drums were thought up by metal but jazz drummers have been using them scince the 30s.... blah blah blah, you get the idea

I'm a huge metal fan and think that jazz musicians really kick ass... I was listening to an interview with slayer's drummer Dave Lombardo, who left the band during a 2 or 3 album period.. During that time, he said he had been playing with a jazz band to keep up with his drumming.. I don't know if you ever heard the drums in a slayer song, but it sure goes fast... Anyway, I also think that jazz musicians are amazing. I think that whgat makes jazz such a good type of music is that it's all improvisation (well 95% of it..) and it sounds good in the end !
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Lombardo, He Is Amazing In Slayer, Havent Heard Of Any The Jazz
  • Options
    Moondemon wrote:
    I'm a huge metal fan and think that jazz musicians really kick ass... I was listening to an interview with slayer's drummer Dave Lombardo, who left the band during a 2 or 3 album period.. During that time, he said he had been playing with a jazz band to keep up with his drumming.. I don't know if you ever heard the drums in a slayer song, but it sure goes fast... Anyway, I also think that jazz musicians are amazing. I think that whgat makes jazz such a good type of music is that it's all improvisation (well 95% of it..) and it sounds good in the end !
    Ofcourse ive heard slayer! im a metalhead through and through!

also i might aswell name this guy because hes an incredible drummer aswell as one of the coolest guys ever: Gene Hoglan
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    MY NAME IS MUD........

Come with us we'll sail the seas of cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze........

I am the Anti-pop
    The Man You CANNOT STOP.............
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    i dig primus, but antipop is horrible. give me suck on this, seas of cheese, frizzle fry, punchbowl, but no antipop please.

i saw frog brigade the first year they toured. they did a 13 minute cover of 'tomorrow never knows' by the beatles.......totally insane. i wish les would do more in the jam band scene. frog brigade and oysterhead both had some pretty great music.

another cd i have with les is "highball with the devil", by les claypool and the holy mackerel. pretty good stuff, i tells ya.

i think the only thing les did that i just couldn't get into at all was sausage. don't know why, just didn't float my boat.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    they are/were amazing talents but listening to their stuff was just a bit too much like living inside a dr. zeus book whilst on huge doses of acid with no senses other than your hearing.

their albums should carry labels something to the effect of "warning. more than 2 songs at a time may cause brain damage"
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I just got the brown album the other day for $10 I had a choice between that anti-pop and pork soda but chose the brown album so i had the black, white and brown albums. I love it so much Les Claypools such an awesome bassist. I'm interested in getting some more of there albums what would you recomend?
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • Options
    For the love of all that does not suck, you need Frizzle Fry.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    ramspam wrote:
    I just got the brown album the other day for $10 I had a choice between that anti-pop and pork soda but chose the brown album so i had the black, white and brown albums. I love it so much Les Claypools such an awesome bassist. I'm interested in getting some more of there albums what would you recomend?

For Primus, I would recommend:

Frizzle Fry
    Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    and
    Pork Soda
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Southbound Pachyderm
    On the Tweek Again

PRIMUS SUCKS!!
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    ramspam wrote:

get 'suck on this'. their first album, and it's live.

'shake hands with beef' is a good tune.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    ramspam wrote:

yeh man you want them alll!!!!

like frizzle fry and antipop and like what other people have posted
  • Options
    Primus have always been one of fav bands. I like Tales From The Punchbowl the best it has something about it that i like....
    I also recommend the song "Hamburger Train" off Pork Soda, the bass in that song is mad.
    I wonder if/when they're going to put out a greatest hits, that would be really cool.
  • Options
    bass_man10 wrote:
    Primus have always been one of fav bands. I like Tales From The Punchbowl the best it has something about it that i like....
    I also recommend the song "Hamburger Train" off Pork Soda, the bass in that song is mad.
    I wonder if/when they're going to put out a greatest hits, that would be really cool.

"Your the guy from the hamburger train right"

, lol yeh, this song is awesome

greatest hits would have to be like 10 discs long lol
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Two points worth mentioning:

1) "Dog Will Hunt"
    2) "The Bastard tried to bite me...."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Two points worth mentioning:

1) "Dog Will Hunt"
    2) "The Bastard tried to bite me...."

3. "Where you headed city boy?"
    4. "Get yourself a can of pork soda, you'll be feeling just fine. Ain't nothing quite like sitting around the house, swilling down them cans of swine!"
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    has anybody heard the frog brigade? i cannot beleive its les!!! its so bad!!!
  • Options
    They call me Mr. Knowitall
    I am so eloquent
    Perfection is my middle name
    ...and whatever rhymes with eloquent.
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    has anybody heard the frog brigade? i cannot beleive its les!!! its so bad!!!

They're quite good. You have to see them live to appreciate them.

But how can you say they are so bad? Have you heard them covering all of PF's "Animals" on disc? It's amazing how well they nail it!
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

But how can you say they are so bad? Have you heard them covering all of PF's "Animals" on disc? It's amazing how well they nail it!
    i just couldnt stand it! i luv primus like crazy but this was just so horrible. i cant remember which track it was but it was one of the most repeditive and annoying things ive ever listened to.
  • Options
    Top 5 "CRaZy" primus songs...

1. Poetry and Prose
    2. Tommy The Cat
    3. Year of The Parrot
    4. Pilchers Squad
    5. De Anza Jig

:) just a thought...
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the 5 gallons of diesel dvd is awesome.
  • Options
    bass_man10 wrote:

1. Poetry and Prose
    2. Tommy The Cat
    3. Year of The Parrot
    4. Pilchers Squad
    5. De Anza Jig

As in your favorites or songs you think are more 'out there' (aka crazy) than others?
  • Options
    bass_man10 wrote:

1. Poetry and Prose
    2. Tommy The Cat
    3. Year of The Parrot
    4. Pilchers Squad
    5. De Anza Jig

What!!!!?????!!!!!! You left off "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver." That's a "crazy" song. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Primus kicks ass but i prefer les's side projects better. They arent as heavy. I saw him with the fancy band this year in chicago and it was crazy. The drums > whamola > drums was awesome in its own right but was made even better when Tim Alexander and Larry LaLonde came out to join the band.

and Skerik is a bad ass.
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    BinFrog wrote:

the animals cover is fantastic.
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    the 5 gallons of diesel dvd is awesome.

Can I assume that it is free of any "noodling"????? ;)