Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
edited January 2006 in Other Music
well, i made this after seeing the one about primus
i gotta say, primus are one of the coolest bands ever

les claypool on bass- seriously the best basist ever

tim alexander - amazing drummer

ler lalonde - amazing guitar

these 3 guys are genious, if you know what iam on about, good for you
if not, get frizzle fry or sailing the seas of cheese and listen to it 100 times and then buy a dvd, like humans should not act like people
however, primus were going to do a mtv unplugged session but mtv didn't let him!!! for unkown reasons, but i think they are quite predicatble

woo primus are awesome

PEACE

Brisk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'm a huge Primus fan. I think I've seen them around 8-10 times by now (plus the Frog Brigade twice and Oysterhead once) and have pretty much every disc and dvd they've put out. I haven't kept up with some of Les' side projects, but the stuff I do own is mostly good.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Huge Primus fan here....Les is one of the top three bass players......(sorry but Flea has him beat on spirit alone, and polotics) ....seriously- lead bass is more like what Les plays. I get wild when I listen to that.......

"Here they come...."
    Donate to Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness today.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    I'm pretty sure we will see a new primus album sometime this year.
    My favorites are 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese' & 'Antipop'
    Seen 'em 3 times in Milwaukee.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    primus sucks

:)
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    Hell yeah! I love Primus. It's easily the best stuff involving Les. Just this year I saw the light, picked up the albums/dvd, and fell in love.

Primus sucks.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Love Primus, have all their albums. I could watch Les play bass for hours and be amazed. This band has no weakness.

I am the anti-pop
    I'll run against the grain until the day I drop
    I am the anti-pop
    The man you cannot stop
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    oysterhead.
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    8 posts so far! Is that all the love that Primus can get?
    Primus rules! Les Claypool must be the most insane bassplayer I've ever heard.
    Became a fan back in 94 (i think) when they played Roskilde Festival.
    Couldn't help thinking of a classic Beavis and Butthead-quote:
    "If I could move my arm that fast I'd never leave the house" :D

MY NAME IS MUD!!!!!!!!!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I only have the brown album and to be honest I think it's a bit meh. They are very talented musicians though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    "I DO BELIVE IN CAPTAIN CRUNCH"
    " FOR AM I THE FRIZZLE FRY!!!!!!"

man, they own, aparantly flea is just as good a les, but he cant really go mad in the peppers

i got into them like 2003/4 . to see them live must have been maaaad
  • Options
    I only have the brown album and to be honest I think it's a bit meh. They are very talented musicians though.

That is, in my opinion, *easily* their weakest album. Some fans swear by it, but I like maybe 2-3 songs off of it. Do yourself a favor and go buy Frizzle Fry or Sailing The Seas Of Cheese. Then get Pork Soda, Tales From The Punchbowl and Antipop.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Havent heard alot of Primus, but Hallucinogenetics is a cool dvd. Did Les ever release the dvd with all the side project stuff on it? My favorite song that is Les related is Whamola. Purple Onion is a masterpiece in my opinion.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Havent heard alot of Primus, but Hallucinogenetics is a cool dvd. Did Les ever release the dvd with all the side project stuff on it? My favorite song that is Les related is Whamola. Purple Onion is a masterpiece in my opinion.

He did release it. You can get it from the Primus site.

In my opinion, Purple Onion is a flop. To each his own.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    He did release it. You can get it from the Primus site.

In my opinion, Purple Onion is a flop. To each his own.

My opinion on it may be based on the fact that I generally pop it in when Im pretty high.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Primus is definitely pretty damn cool. They were my first show ever and I'll never forget it.
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i love primus until the day i day, but les isnt the best bassist ever. there are bassists in jazz that seem to have 10 fingers on one hand but only have 5. also search for jean baudin...

SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE OWNS YOUR HAIRY ANUS!!!!!!
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    wooooow primus first show! cooo
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    i love primus until the day i day, but les isnt the best bassist ever. there are bassists in jazz that seem to have 10 fingers on one hand but only have 5. also search for jean baudin...

SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE OWNS YOUR HAIRY ANUS!!!!!!

No offense, but I wish there was a rule against bringing jazz into any coversation about a musicians ability. I have a hard time believing that all these jazz players are that much better than their rock and roll counterparts. I don't doubt that there are alotta great musicians outside the world of rock, but sometimes it getsa bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    No offense, but I wish there was a rule against bringing jazz into any coversation about a musicians ability. I have a hard time believing that all these jazz players are that much better than their rock and roll counterparts. I don't doubt that there are alotta great musicians outside the world of rock, but sometimes it getsa bit ridiculous.
    dude i was like you, but you have to see these guys for yourself. i didnt care much for jazz, until my uncle took me to this jazz bar, and i instantly became a jazz fan. theyre incredibly techinical and can sometimes be really heavy. no joke! most people think that double bass drums were thought up by metal but jazz drummers have been using them scince the 30s.... blah blah blah, you get the idea
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

There are a lot of rock guys who could probably fill in with a jazz ensemble, but honestly jazz musicians are in a totally different realm. You are talking about Berkley graduates/etc who practice day in and day out and know every chord, scale, time signature, progression, and can look at an 8-chord song and figure out some cimbination of scales to play over it without even blinking. You have to get into jazz to understand what I am talking about. Les Claypool is one of my favorite bassists, but Vic Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stuart Hamm, Steve Bailey, etc could put him to shame from a techincal standpoint. But that is taking NOTHING away from Les. He is incredible in his own right and the stuff he comes up with is mind blowing. He has dabbled in fusion jazz a bit too though, so he's not 100% rock based.

All I'm saying is jazz is it's own beast where there are no rules. Gimme any 100% straight ahead rock player of any instrument you think rules (and they probably do in the rock world) and from a purely technical standpoint I can find someone in jazz to all but school them.
  • Options
    yeh jazz seems to be more technical, its harder to teach yourself like a trumpet or something, and jazz guys know more about scales arppegios and stuff
  • Options
    I agree that jazzmusicians are technically more advanced. Some of the shit they can do with their instruments are midnblowing. But is it just me or doesn't it sometimes seem like they are to eager to show of or whatever, so that they - as a band - sound out of tune/rythm? I'm not that big a jazzfan, so don't flame me for this oppinion.....
    There's somebody inhere with a signature that reads:
    Jazz is musical wanking! :D Couldn't agree more.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    dane wrote:
    I agree that jazzmusicians are technically more advanced. Some of the shit they can do with their instruments are midnblowing. But is it just me or doesn't it sometimes seem like they are to eager to show of or whatever, so that they - as a band - sound out of tune/rythm? I'm not that big a jazzfan, so don't flame me for this oppinion.....

There are so many different forms of jazz. Some of it is very cacophonous, sometimes on purpose and other times because the musicians are just not in sync. Not all jazz musicians are necessarily good musicians. There are such things as bad jazz groups.

But jazz when it works is almost the definition of musical perfection. Its beautiful, sometimes even moreso in its rawest state. Check out some early 60's live Coltrane to see an example of someone pouring everything they have into their playing.

Some people view it as wankery. The same could be said for Mike soloing during Evenflow. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    There are a lot of rock guys who could probably fill in with a jazz ensemble, but honestly jazz musicians are in a totally different realm. You are talking about Berkley graduates/etc who practice day in and day out and know every chord, scale, time signature, progression, and can look at an 8-chord song and figure out some cimbination of scales to play over it without even blinking. You have to get into jazz to understand what I am talking about. Les Claypool is one of my favorite bassists, but Vic Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stuart Hamm, Steve Bailey, etc could put him to shame from a techincal standpoint. But that is taking NOTHING away from Les. He is incredible in his own right and the stuff he comes up with is mind blowing. He has dabbled in fusion jazz a bit too though, so he's not 100% rock based.

All I'm saying is jazz is it's own beast where there are no rules. Gimme any 100% straight ahead rock player of any instrument you think rules (and they probably do in the rock world) and from a purely technical standpoint I can find someone in jazz to all but school them.

I give you Danny Carey. I know there are quite a few jazz drummers that accept him into their world of badass drummers. John Bonham was also respected amongst the jazz drummers in his day.
    My knowledge of jazz is quite limited. I am interested in gettin into it. What are some pretty rockin bands that are obviously jazz influenced.
    Also, the drummer from the Mars Volta is amazing and he is constantly changing what he plays.
  • Options
    dane wrote:

haha
    yeh nice one for pickign that out
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    haha
    yeh nice one for pickign that out

?? Are you the one that used to have that sig?
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    lol no i wasn't heh

oops typo - picking*
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I give you Danny Carey. I know there are quite a few jazz drummers that accept him into their world of badass drummers. John Bonham was also respected amongst the jazz drummers in his day.
    My knowledge of jazz is quite limited. I am interested in gettin into it. What are some pretty rockin bands that are obviously jazz influenced.
    Also, the drummer from the Mars Volta is amazing and he is constantly changing what he plays.

Danny Carey is a great drummer. But I can also think of a lot of rock drummers in his league or better.

But as far as jazz drummers go: Compare Dennis Chambers or Billy Cobham to Danny Carey. No contest.

It sounds like you may dig some fusion groups. You should check out the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Vital Tech Tones, early Billy Cobham solo work, Miles Davis circa 69-72 (like "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew").
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Danny Carey is a great drummer. But I can also think of a lot of rock drummers in his league or better.

But as far as jazz drummers go: Compare Dennis Chambers or Billy Cobham to Danny Carey. No contest.

It sounds like you may dig some fusion groups. You should check out the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Vital Tech Tones, early Billy Cobham solo work, Miles Davis circa 69-72 (like "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew").

Have you listened to his side project, Volto. Its his jazz influence comin out. I havent got a chance to listen to it, but a buddy of mine, a drummer mind you, loves them, and all things Danny Carey. Until you can watch him up close, you dont realize how good he is. Said friend has a dvd of him playing Lateralus in the studio on his bronze Paiste set. Its downright amazing. Tons of power too. He was flinchin everytime he hit a cymbal. And at one point he uses a gong. Somethin I never picked up on before. Billy Cobham is on there as well as a few other jazz drummers. There is a guy on there that does Bonzo dead on too. I can't think of the name of the dvd. Itsa must for drummers and really musicians of any sort.

Thanks for the recomendations. I will have to check some of that stuff out.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

dont forget buddy rich...