Options

the doors

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
edited March 2007 in Other Music
any doors fans out there? what do you have to say about them?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    i say i love the Doors, second on my list of all time bands
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

Yeah I love them too.....maybe not second....but in the top five definitely...Jim was the best rock voice ever!
  • Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    My favorite band.

I've been listening to them since '89 or '90. I never grow tired of them. The songs never get old. In fact, I am still discovering new things in their music as every year passes. "Break on Through" still charges me up the same way it did when I first heard it. I think that says a lot about them as a band.

To me they are all-encompassing. You can simply groove and rock out to their music, drink beer and party to it, chill out to it, put on head phones and go on a journey to it, get high to it, or make love to it. The Doors can sound like music to a ritual or initiation, or simply just sound funky. It can be very spiritual, mellow, and beautiful and/or nasty, bluesy, and vulgar--sometimes all in the same song. It is sacred music to me.

The Doors did not allow themselves to be boxed in by lables or borders. They strived to be different. They are "world music" in the true sense of the word. Timeless and universal. But they are also so very, very California. Which is something I can appreciate, because that's where I'm from.

Alright, I've geeked out enough.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm
    Into this house we're born
    Into this world we're thrown
    Like a dog without a bone
    An actor out alone
    Riders on the storm

There's a killer on the road
    His brain is squirmin' like a toad
    Take a long holiday
    Let your children play
    If ya give this man a ride
    Sweet memory will die
    Killer on the road, yeah

Girl ya gotta love your man
    Girl ya gotta love your man
    Take him by the hand
    Make him understand
    The world on you depends
    Our life will never end
    Gotta love your man, yeah

Wow!

Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm
    Into this house we're born
    Into this world we're thrown
    Like a dog without a bone
    An actor out alone
    Riders on the storm

Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm
    Riders on the storm

CRAWL OUT NOW, KING SNAKE!
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    i love love love LOVE the doors!!!!!

never get sick of them

im actually looking forward to seeing them with that other guy ... i forget who he is ...standing in for jim ... i know it wont be anywhere near the same but exciting none the less
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    Love the Doors. They did so much in such a short time...1967 to '71...
    Everytime I'm around Venice I imagine Jim hangin around the area writing songs like Hello, I love You.
  • Options
    I read No One Gets Out Of Here Alive in the 6th grade and did a report on it. I love thd Doors. Like Sathogwa says they were definitely all-encompassing. They pushed limits in every way they could. Besides that songs like The End and Peace Frog just fucking rule.
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    mother ....yes son i want to wowwwwwwwwwwwww i wanna FUCK YOU
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

HELL YEAH!!!! The Doors RULE. There is NO WAY I can deny this band. Never get sick of them either. Classic! Definitley one of my fav bands of all time. Love love love LOVE them as well. Ray Manzarek is the frickin MAN! They really did do SO much in short amount of time and left a huge imprint on the musical world. Legendary without a doubt!
    Sathogwa wrote:
    The Doors can sound like music to a ritual or initiation, or simply just sound funky. It can be very spiritual, mellow, and beautiful and/or nasty, bluesy, and vulgar--sometimes all in the same song. It is sacred music to me.

Beautifully said and I could not agree more!

Little fun fact ~ Jim Morrison went to my high school and lived in my town briefly. Something I'm of course proud of. hehe. There's a bench in a park here here in Alameda dedicated to him. :)

One of my favs....

SOUL KITCHEN

Well, the clock says it’s time to close now
    I guess I’d better go now
    I’d really like to stay here all night
    The cars crawl past all stuffed with eyes
    Street lights share their hollow glow
    Your brain seems bruised with numb surprise
    Still one place to go
    Still one place to go
    Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen
    Warm my mind near your gentle stove
    Turn me out and I’ll wander baby
    Stumblin’ in the neon groves
    Well, your fingers weave quick minarets
    Speak in secret alphabets
    I light another cigarette
    Learn to forget, learn to forget
    Learn to forget, learn to forget
    Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen
    Warm my mind near your gentle stove
    Turn me out and I’ll wander baby
    Stumblin’ in the neon groves
    Well the clock says it’s time to close now
    I know I have to go now
    I really want to stay here
    All night, all night, all night
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    ^ that's a good song vedhed....
    :)

I love the Doors I liked them since i was a kid. :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    "Little fun fact ~ Jim Morrison went to my high school and lived in my town briefly. Something I'm of course proud of. hehe. There's a bench in a park here here in Alameda dedicated to him. "

No shit! I'm gonna have to go visit that!

"Soul Kitchen" is one of my favorites.
    Sleep on horseback
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Isn't it libragirl!!? We agree on yet another kick ass song. :D;) And I hear ya, I grew up with this band as well. They will forever hold a special place in my heart and I really will NEVER tire of them.

YES it's true Sathogwa! Isn't that awesome? :D You should totally visit it. My old P.E. teacher use to actually be Jim's too. :eek: He use to cut hair and do tats on the side...he cut Jim's hair. He continued to cut hair years down the line with the SAME scissors that cut the mighty man's hair. He also use to tell us stories about him. Pretty fuckin cool. Glad you appreciate the greatness of SOUL KITCHEN as well. Such a rockin song!!! :D

Here's another fav.... no matter HOW many times I hear it... it never fails to take me away. :o

*CRYSTAL SHIP*

Before you slip into unconsciousness
    I’d like to have another kiss
    Another flashing chance at bliss
    Another kiss, another kiss

The days are bright and filled with pain
    Enclose me in your gentle rain
    The time you ran was too insane
    We’ll meet again, we’ll meet again

Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The streets are fields that never die
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You’d rather cry, I’d rather fly

The crystal ship is being filled
    A thousand girls, a thousand thrills
    A million ways to spend your time
    When we get back, I’ll drop a line

*sigh*

:o

HAIL HAIL the almighty, legedary DOORS! In a classic league all their own. They can't be compared to anything else. Music that will forever ROCK our lives ! :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    "YES it's true Sathogwa! Isn't that awesome? You should totally visit it. My old P.E. teacher use to actually be Jim's too. He use to cut hair and do tats on the side...he cut Jim's hair. He continued to cut hair years down the line with the SAME scissors that cut the mighty man's hair. He also use to tell us stories about him. Pretty fuckin cool. Glad you appreciate the greatness of SOUL KITCHEN as well. Such a rockin song!!!"

Hey that's a good story! I have one too. I work with an "old" (ha ha) '60's guy in my office. He was at a poetry reading in the late 60's here in Sacramento. The featured reader was the poet Michael McClure, a good friend of Morrison. Any way, who should show up that night along for the ride with McClure but the Lizard King himself, three sheets to the wind I might add. I guess there was only about 20 people at the reading and each of them recieved a handbound copy of "The Lords and the New Creatures" BEFORE it was even published from the hand of Jim Morrison himself. I guess my coworker was flipping through his copy and Jim looked at him and went: "What, man? Don't you like it?"

I guess every one wanted him to read that night, but he was too drunk.
    Sleep on horseback
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    BUFFALO wrote:
    i say i love the Doors, second on my list of all time bands
    Yeah, I'd have to put them second after PJ! Love them. Like others, I never get tired of them. My husband actually saw them live twice - I'm so jealous. :) Also, Eddie is the only one I can imagine filling in for Jim. He did an awesome job.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    One of the most unique bands of all time. Each album was amazing and they never dissapointed. Robby Krieger is an awesome guitarist and doesn't get enough credit IMO. I actually saw them with Ian Astbury on vocals. They can still kick a lot of ass. I reccomend that anyone who likes the doors should go out and see them.

"Wild child full of grace, savior of the human race."
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    I really like the records too, I've got them all plus vhs and stuff but I really find Ray Manzarek the keyboard player isn't good at all and ruins most of the songs (not completely), he's kind of annoying.
    anyone else feel like I do?
    Marseille 09/09/06, Paris 11/09/06,wembley 18/06/07, werchter 07
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Yes...huge doors fan here aswell. Actually, has anyone seen the doors of the 21st century? Im wondering if they are as good or worth seeing if they hit my area of the world.
    I also just found out im going to paris for my 21st, so i'll be dropping by Jim's place in Pere LaChaise. Eerily beautiful that place is.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    As much as I love this band and as high as I would rank them on my list, I've yet to get any of their albums!! I know, I'll probably be shot for that, but it's hard getting money for other bands when you don't have a job and you buy so much Pearl Jam stuff!! But I have seen the movie with Val Kilmer and I've heard a good amount of their music to make a judgement about them, and they're def. one of the best bands ever!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    As much as I love this band and as high as I would rank them on my list, I've yet to get any of their albums!! I know, I'll probably be shot for that, but it's hard getting money for other bands when you don't have a job and you buy so much Pearl Jam stuff!! But I have seen the movie with Val Kilmer and I've heard a good amount of their music to make a judgement about them, and they're def. one of the best bands ever!!!
    Get or rent some of their videos. You won't be disappointed!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Go get the Doors self titled. The first one.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i remember borrowing my brothers' Doors albums when i was a kid. i would totally get lost in The Soft Parade. lol amazingly enough i still have most all the albums that i listened to after they all went through an intense house fire...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i have always liked them, grew up listening to them through my brother and sisters. i have to be in the right mood to hear them. my favorites are indian summer, soft parade, end of the night, queen of the highway, spanish caravan, love street... too many good songs to list.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Just a little FYI for those who don't have all of The Doors studio albums you can buy 'The Complete Studio Recordings' for the unreal price of $9.99 at Buy.com's music downloads.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201651819&loc=18250
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • Options
    katjakatja Posts: 188
    There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors!
  • Options
    Just a little FYI for those who don't have all of The Doors studio albums you can buy 'The Complete Studio Recordings' for the unreal price of $9.99 at Buy.com's music downloads.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201651819&loc=18250

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT INFO BRO!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    They are in my second fav of all time!
    I have read so many books on them, more than any other band.
    "No one here gets out alive"
    Wow I forgot how much I love that line!
    My new signature!
    Alot of my friends break my balls b/c they were all dead heads and I loved the doors. We would battle alot. Why can't you like both like me?
    The doors box set is great.
    Check out the acoustic version of "Hyacinth House" Fucking awesome!
    I would love for Eddie to play that on his guitar.
    Wow, would that be cool or what?
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    They are truly great...

Very influential.

If their music was released today it would sell and be popular. Thats a sign of a great band!
    "we're friends, only because of my situation"

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No. 41-+--+

" Nearly died...scared alive..."
  • Options
    Go get the Doors self titled. The first one.

LA Woman is by far the best album!
    Changleing
    Been down so long
    La woman
    Man, they are some beer drinking songs!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Hitchiker wrote:
    They are truly great...

Very influential.

If their music was released today it would sell and be popular. Thats a sign of a great band!

So true. Well said.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Their self titled album, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman are some of my favourite records ever. Simply an amazing band.

Any of you guys own any Doors dvd?
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."