124»

Comments

• holtz wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MpKBpoA1Y

Nico Hoon singing Change in Chicago

Thumbs up!

Talk about a seal of approval.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    thats awesome!
    I really hope they come Europe
  • blind melon without shannon is not blind melon....he was great and tjhe soul of the band

That's what I was thinking.....Did they exhume him from his dirt nap to sing, because that's the only way I'm going to see Blind Melon in 2007.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • That's what I was thinking.....Did they exhume him from his dirt nap to sing, because that's the only way I'm going to see Blind Melon in 2007.

Seriously, while all this Nico, Nel & the band paying tribute to Shannon right now is touching...what's gonna happen when that wears off & they actually expect to be considered "Blind Melon?" It'll never happen, they'll always be a cover band of their own band. & While Travis seems like a nice enough guy from the clips I've watched...he'll always be that guy who is "filling in."
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Seriously, while all this Nico, Nel & the band paying tribute to Shannon right now is touching...what's gonna happen when that wears off & they actually expect to be considered "Blind Melon?" It'll never happen, they'll always be a cover band of their own band. & While Travis seems like a nice enough guy from the clips I've watched...he'll always be that guy who is "filling in."

i'd rather see a blind melon cover band with travis filling in than 90% of the bands out there today.
  • i'd rather see a blind melon cover band with travis filling in than 90% of the bands out there today.

& That's fine & dandy.

But it is what it is...& Blind Melon it is not.
    & That's fine & dandy.

if pearl jam can still call themselves pearl jam after adding matt cameron and the subsequent drop in quality, then blind melon can still be blind melon ;)
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    if pearl jam can still call themselves pearl jam after adding matt cameron and the subsequent drop in quality, then blind melon can still be blind melon ;)
    haha ouch... funny though!
  • if pearl jam can still call themselves pearl jam after adding matt cameron and the subsequent drop in quality, then blind melon can still be blind melon ;)

Omg, you are so right...that is the same thing exactly! :D
  • the new songs are pretty good, the new singer does a decent job on the old stuff, Shannon's family is very cool with this...guess you are going to have to move forward on with live mouthfulofsoup
  • the new songs are pretty good, the new singer does a decent job on the old stuff, Shannon's family is very cool with this...guess you are going to have to move forward on with live mouthfulofsoup

I assume you meant "life?" My life has moved on just fine, thanks. I learned accept Shannon's passing & to appreciate the timeless, amazing gift he & the boys left me a long time ago. I don't care who is cool with it. The fact is, I am not delusional & refuse to pretend that they are suddenly back as the same band.

& As far as moving on...I anxiously await Sparta's next stop this way...:)
  • I assume you meant "life?" My life has moved on just fine, thanks. I learned accept Shannon's passing & to appreciate the timeless, amazing gift he & the boys left me a long time ago. I don't care who is cool with it. The fact is, I am not delusional & refuse to pretend that they are suddenly back as the same band.

Hey, I'm gonna cut you some slack, I know I've been a bit blunt with my comments in the past - and obviously this is something very close to your heart. But I do think to some extent perhaps you are missing the point. Just watching all those live videos, the thing that struck me, was all those people singing along, hell they were practically drowning out the band! It totally reminds me of when I saw AIC last year, it seemed like a huge celebration of the music, the band and audience joined as one. The fact there was a new singer was almost a non-issue, cause he was just leading the sing-alongs, as a fan himself.

Watching that video of Nico singing Change pretty much confirmed for me that they are doing the right thing. Those songs are far too good not to be played ever again. I understand that you will never consider this Blind Melon, because for you Shannon Hoon was Blind Melon. I can't say I agree, I think their songs went beyond just a great singer and lyricist. I think the music perfectly complimented his style. Travis is a very good fit for the band. Listening to the new songs, they sound like Blind Melon songs. Nobody is expecting them to sound exactly the same as they did with Shannon, but really that isn't the point. It's just a chance for this band to contiune writing and performing together.

I don't think it's a case of being delusional, if they sucked live and the new songs were no good, I wouldn't be interested at all. Music for me, can be an incredibly healing thing, and I can't imagine a more fitting tribute to Shannon than to celebrate the music they made together - and to me, it doesn't get any better than this.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I BrisK I wrote:
    thats awesome!
    I really hope they come Europe

I hope they come too. Was an amazing clip to watch.

I guess that's me, you and facepollution off to another gig if they do decide to head over this way :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    I assume you meant "life?" My life has moved on just fine, thanks. I learned accept Shannon's passing & to appreciate the timeless, amazing gift he & the boys left me a long time ago. I don't care who is cool with it. The fact is, I am not delusional & refuse to pretend that they are suddenly back as the same band.

who said they are the same band?

sparta is the worst opening band i've ever seen ;)
  • I listened to Sometimes and Wishing Well again last night.

Same great Melon vibe to the songs.

I will they would release more tour dates.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Some of you guys are nuts.

I fucking loved Blind Melon back in the day and had the fortune of seeing them open for GNR back in 1993, so I can assure you that I'm not late to this party.

Anyways, with no disrespect to Shannon, Travis is a better frontman/musician than Shannon could've ever been. He adds a whole new element and while there will be plenty of idiots who say it's a joke, anyone who has taken the time to actually listen to the new stuff and all the work Travis has done both solo and with his previous bands should just plain know better.

And for those on Oink, earlier this month Travis himself uploaded ALL of his stuff along with the new Blind Melon so everyone could check it out.

I loved Shannon to death, but the current version does more than justice given the circumstances. And I don't think that this always works. Take AIC for example. I think it's great that they're back out there, but I do feel like I'm watching a cover band whereas with these guys it feels like Blind fucking Melon.
  • & That's fine & dandy.

They should just change their name to....

Regurgitated Facsimile Melon

...then I'd be cool with it.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • I am floored with that video of Nico singing Change. Thank you so much for sharing that. I only wish I was there to see it. I am probably going to go to the Boston show on the 22nd. I have not been able to get out of my head the songs, the band, the vibe, the whole thing. I like the new songs. The band is as tight as ever. I look forward to the new direction and I know Shannon is smiling from above.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • who said they are the same band?

sparta is the worst opening band i've ever seen ;)

Further proving my point that your opinion is shit. ;)
    They should just change their name to....

Regurgitated Facsimile Melon

...then I'd be cool with it.

lol, I like you. :)
  • Further proving my point that your opinion is shit. ;)

lol, I like you. :)

Amen, might as well just have the Doors start touring with some Jim Morrison wannabe. Well at least Blind Melon didn't sell their souls to Satan and pick their singer from a reality, karaoke show like INXS. I guess there are degrees of retardedness when trying to carry on with a fill in for a deceased singer.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • If you are around the Boston area here is your opportunity to check this out. You will not be disappointed I promise. The show is tonight at Harper's Ferry. Hope to see a few of you there.

RIP Shannon. You will always be missed!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    Amen, might as well just have the Doors start touring with some Jim Morrison wannabe. Well at least Blind Melon didn't sell their souls to Satan and pick their singer from a reality, karaoke show like INXS. I guess there are degrees of retardedness when trying to carry on with a fill in for a deceased singer.

didnt the doors do that already?
  • didnt the doors do that already?

If they did, I thankfully missed it.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • If they did, I thankfully missed it.

So did I, but that got me curious, so I looked it up...

http://www.avrev.com/news/0203/07.doors.shtml

That what ya meant, soulsinging? Did that ever happen? & Also notice the name "the doors 21st century."

I don't think we'd be having this debate if we went with boxwine's previous name suggetion for Melon. ;)
    So did I, but that got me curious, so I looked it up...

That what ya meant, soulsinging? Did that ever happen? & Also notice the name "the doors 21st century."

I don't think we'd be having this debate if we went with boxwine's previous name suggetion for Melon. ;)

yeah, that's what i meant. the other key difference with the doors is it was only half the original band and robbie vocally opposed the entire project. not the case with blind melon. the decision was absolutely unanimous and supported by the family of the deceased. bit different.
  • So did I, but that got me curious, so I looked it up...

Wow, that's horrible. What the fuck was Stuart Copeland doing? I guess he was desperate before the latest Police reunion. Dude must need some cash badly.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    holtz wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MpKBpoA1Y

Nico Hoon singing Change in Chicago

I never saw this when it was originally posted...stumbled across it on youtube, then searched here....man....did that ever fuck me up. talk about bittersweet.
  • that video is awesome. Is anyone going to the Hartford show on 2/29? We are trying to get a few people to go. I could not go to the Harper's Ferry show in Boston. It's my friend's birthday, so we are trying like mad to get down there.
    Let's Go Red Sox!