Blind Melon 10/07/07

momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Yes that's right BLIND FUCKING MELON!!!!! (in fact, everytime someone said that, the guys in the band would say Right on!!!)First show in 12 years!!!!! I am still in shock. I am still half asleep, got home so late from Providence. It was such an emotional night. If any of you have them coming near your town I highly recommend going. You will never see them in such a small venue again. I know I am in the Boston area and they are coming back around in about 2 weeks, at Harper's Ferry. Burlington, VT tonight. The new kid is SPOT ON!! They are very clear they want to keep Shannon's image very much alive. There is nothing but love from this band for Shannon and Travis knows he will never replace Shannon ever. BUT MAN DOES HE HAVE A SET OF PIPES!!!!!!!!!!

Tears pouring down my face when they opened with Galaxy. I think I came to tears about 5 maybe 6 times during the night. I just could not believe I was hearing Blind Melon after 12 years. It was like a breath of fresh air. My buddy has the set list. I have a pick and the memories of talking to each of the surviving member and telling them what I have been saying since the day Shannon died. The crowd, I will say, from the minute the 1st opening band came on, to the second that Blnd melon came to the stage, to the final sing along of No Rain, the crowd was behind them 100%. Of all places to kick off a tour like this, Providence is an AWESOME town. So beautiful. Could not believe how easy it was to get there.

Glen Graham - Drums-Just held both of his hands and said thanks for coming out and welcome back. The happened right at the end of the show, you could tell he had some sort of release. In the beginning of the night we almost walked right into him as we were heading to the show. He was b-lining to some pizza shop!

Rogers Stevens - Guitar- I got to talk to in length right after the show. So down to earth. He calls Travis a blessing. Couldn't believe that such a talented guy just appeared after all that time. And he felt maybe now the rest of the world will see how much hard work they put into Soup.

Christopher Thorn - Guitar- Greeted him right as the came on stage for the first time. That was emotional for both of us. Got to talk to him and his dad afterwards. His dad is so proud. It's like the families had been living with this along with the bands. They all knew that it was not suppose to end but they knew that they needed to give everyone space.

Brad Smith - Bass, Vocals- Again chatted with him briefly. But certainly got the point across that it was the right time. And I welcomed him back.

I did not get to speak to Travis other than shake his hand. But every single person in that room sang every single lyric, even the new songs right back at him. He is the real deal. Just solid, amazing.

If you have any doubts, let me assure you that these will blow you away!!!! Go and see them. You will not be disappointed. I just wish I had more money to see a couple of the other shows. But I feel honored to have seen the very 1st show back.

I could go on all day on just how insane the night was.

Thanks for listening. Please do yourself a favor and check this band out. Blind Melon is fucking BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's Go Red Sox!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ahh you went

I saw the setlist on their forum ;p

TAPERS!??
  • I know they filmed it. I know they were documenting the whole tour. I spoke with the director of the project. I do not think there was a taper on the floor that I saw. But you never know.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Is there no one but me on here that went last night? Anyone thinking about going to any of the shows?
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    momofglynn wrote:
    Is there no one but me on here that went last night? Anyone thinking about going to any of the shows?

i didn't know they were touring. i'll definitely go if they hit chicago. as to your first question... i think this board has more memers than rhode island has residents... so i doubt anyone was anywhere near the venue ;)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Come To Europe!!
  • This is a show I'm definitely interested in seeing. I just have to find a local show and check them out.

Even though Shannon is gone, I still appreciate the musicianship of Rogers, Glen, Brad and Chris. They had a great sound and I'm glad they're continuing on with Travis.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    You lucky dog.
  • This is a show I'm definitely interested in seeing. I just have to find a local show and check them out.

Even though Shannon is gone, I still appreciate the musicianship of Rogers, Glen, Brad and Chris. They had a great sound and I'm glad they're continuing on with Travis.

PBM

What I thought was the best is that I got to say to rest of the surviving members how proud I was of them. Everything that I felt when Shannon died I could to say toto them and it was such an amazing thing. How awesome I thought Soup was. How I could see them grow as musicans. It really was a very very emotional show for all that were there. I mean I had a nice conversation with Chris's Dad, telling him I was proud on a fan of music level but I could understand on a parent level how he felt too. It was a nice conversation for sure.

As far as it being in RI, I drove less than a hour and 30 minutes to get down there. There were people from MA, CT, NH, RI. The place was packed.

Go and see them. They really deserve the chance to show the rest of the world how great they were and how great they will become again. You will not be disappointed I promise.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • momofglynn wrote:
    How awesome I thought Soup was.

It really is a great album and showed great promise in the evolution of their sound.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

It really is a great album and showed great promise in the evolution of their sound.

PBM

it's weird when you read their bio how harshly criticized that album was. it was excellent.

they're going to be in chicago next week and i will be there!
  • it's weird when you read their bio how harshly criticized that album was.

I don't get that. I have favored Soup over Blind Melon for quite some time. Their sound really progressed.

It's too bad we won't get more of that with Shannon on vocals, but I'm looking forward to what Travis can deliver.

PBM

• you will not be disappointed. This kid can sing. Galaxie was amazing. Really amazing. He sang change, he sang soup, he sang it all so well. Brought me to tears like 5 or 6 times during the night. Sorry if that sounds silly. I know it sounds really silly to get all worked up. When I was interviewed for the documentary I got misty eyed even. I almost did not sign the disclaimer because I did not want people to possibly see me crying about a band. I have a strong feeling it will make whatever video they put out. I was next to the director all night, she even went up and sang mouth full of cavities with the band. My friend insisted that I do it anyways that it was an honest reply and that emotions were very high from everyone involved.

I mean when Brad came to the mic after the opening song, he even commented on how heavy it was for them and that we made it so easy for them to come back now. I am still getting chills from what I experienced last night. It was up there as one of the best concert experiences that I have had to date. It's in the top 5 like Soup is in the top 5. I felt that they all really appreciated my words about how I felt about Soup. The other guitarist, not Chris, really was so happy to speak with me and let him know the fans thought the world of their work.

I could really talk on and on about this. Just do yourself the favor if they come within 2 hours of you, go. Bring your friends. Have a great time.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • blind melon without shannon is not blind melon....he was great and tjhe soul of the band
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
    blind melon without shannon is not blind melon....he was great and tjhe soul of the band

it was only a matter of time.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    I'm going tomorrow night (NYC)
    Can't say I'm a fan, but my friend's into them and for $15

Know quite a few people, who's taste I respect, who love them

Not sure they'll measure up to other shows i'm seeing this week (PJ Harvey!!!, Tori, QOTSA)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    mauichick wrote:
    I'm going tomorrow night (NYC)
    Can't say I'm a fan, but my friend's into them and for $15

Know quite a few people, who's taste I respect, who love them

Not sure they'll measure up to other shows i'm seeing this week (PJ Harvey!!!, Tori, QOTSA)

have you ever listened to them? you should be in for quite a treat. im going next week.

ps. did anyone else know that unified theory released a new album? i had no idea!
  • I'm glad they know how good Soup is. Fucking brilliant record.

Travis seems cool by me. :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • momofglynn wrote:
    you will not be disappointed. This kid can sing. Galaxie was amazing. Really amazing. He sang change, he sang soup, he sang it all so well.

Are you fucking kidding me? I can't believe he touched those 2 songs. A while ago they said there would be songs left out out the set for obvious reasons & I thought for sure 'Change' would be one of them, well, for obvious reasons. :mad: & 'Soup' being one of (if not) my all time fav. Melon songs shouldn't be touched by anyone but Shannon...

No wonder I had such a shitty day today...I musta felt this bs going on in my soul. I hope the guys enjoy the ride while it lasts..."Blind Melon" my mother fucking ass.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    they are not coming to vancouver or seattle.....i would LOVE to see them...here to hoping...
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    Are you fucking kidding me? I can't believe he touched those 2 songs. A while ago they said there would be songs left out out the set for obvious reasons & I thought for sure 'Change' would be one of them, well, for obvious reasons. :mad: & 'Soup' being one of (if not) my all time fav. Melon songs shouldn't be touched by anyone but Shannon...

No wonder I had such a shitty day today...I musta felt this bs going on in my soul. I hope the guys enjoy the ride while it lasts..."Blind Melon" my mother fucking ass.

:rolleyes: i wondered how long it'd take you to show up. you're right though, nobody should ever sing someone else's song... EVER!
  • The set:

Galaxie
    2x4
    Toes Across the Floor
    For My Friends
    Change
    Wishing Well
    Soup
    Make a Difference
    Soak the sin
    Tumbling Down
    Hypnotize
    Sleepyhouse
    Right Set of Eyes
    Drive-
    Time-
    Encores

Mouthful of Cavaties
    The Pusher
    No Rain (Ripped Away)> No Rain

Wow, I can't believe the # of Melon songs that they played that should have never been touched. (Unless of course as a tribute by another band, soulsinging) :D
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I'm not really a fan, but that sounded like a pretty good show. It's great to see another good 90's band get back together, I'll say that much.
  • :rolleyes: i wondered how long it'd take you to show up. you're right though, nobody should ever sing someone else's song... EVER!

if that were the case then Elvis and Sinatra would've never recorded a note because they never wrote songs....
    PJ would've never covered a Who song.
    Sindead O'Conner would've never recorded that deeply personal Prince song...

the list goes on and on.
    The set:

Galaxie
    2x4
    Toes Across the Floor
    For My Friends
    Change
    Wishing Well
    Soup
    Make a Difference
    Soak the sin
    Tumbling Down
    Hypnotize
    Sleepyhouse
    Right Set of Eyes
    Drive-
    Time-
    Encores

Mouthful of Cavaties
    The Pusher

Wow, I can't believe the # of Melon songs that they played that should have never been touched. (Unless of course as a tribute by another band, soulsinging) :D

nope, that makes me pretty damn excited for their show next week! how is it a tribute if another band plays it but it's not if the band plays songs that they wrote with another singer? see aic, ac/dc, faith no more, etc.
    reggie500 wrote:
    if that were the case then Elvis and Sinatra would've never recorded a note because they never wrote songs....

the list goes on and on.

exactly.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The set:

Galaxie
    2x4
    Toes Across the Floor
    For My Friends
    Change
    Wishing Well
    Soup
    Make a Difference
    Soak the sin
    Tumbling Down
    Hypnotize
    Sleepyhouse
    Right Set of Eyes
    Drive-
    Time-
    Encores

Mouthful of Cavaties
    The Pusher

Re: your title: No. No one else wants to puke. I wish I was there to hear great musicians playing great songs.
  • I have read the Burlington, VT show went well. Same set list. To the person that can not understand why they played Soup or Change, well you have your opinion. I completely respect that.

The person I went with said the same thing prior to going into the show. He is heading to another show on the tour and now he hopes they play them again. I am glad they sang them. Last time I checked Blind Melon is a band not Shannon Hoon. I have seen them with Shannon and now I have seen them without.

Of course if I had my choice I would had preferred Shannon, everyone would, even the rest of the band, even the new singer said it. But he's gone. He's not coming back. The music that the rest of the group put out is just as intense as it always was and the singer can pull it off.

I give them my best wishes always. I am just so glad that the were able to get to this point. If it goes no further than this tour then so what, they did it. I actually got to say to each of them what I wanted to say to them, person to person. That in it's self was something I never thought would ever happen.

In talking with Rogers, I even said, I am just going to put it out there, and I just said it exactly how I felt, it was from the heart. He knew it and completely appreciated the words, like he was so glad that the fans really knew how hard they worked on Soup and how it was so quickly washed away when Shannon passed.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Where's Tones of Home???

Maybe that is on the banned list...
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • reggie500 wrote:

the list goes on and on.

& let's not forget Aaron Lewis' awesome cover of "Black." lol.

Seriously though, covering a song is fine, shows respect & appreciation to the artist...Playing make believe is different. ;)
  • & let's not forget Aaron Lewis' awesome cover of "Black." lol.

Seriously though, covering a song is fine, shows respect & appreciation to the artist...Playing make believe is different. ;)

I understand how you feel about this - you are right, there is a difference...I saw the new Alice In Chains and they were great and all, but it was a little sad to me that they sang angry chair...I think they could have done it as an instrumental.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.