Blind Melon 10/07/07

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    & let's not forget Aaron Lewis' awesome cover of "Black." lol.

Seriously though, covering a song is fine, shows respect & appreciation to the artist...Playing make believe is different. ;)

how is this playing make believe? did they give him a shannon mask?
  • mouthfulofsoup, I know you're emotional involved with the songs and Shannon, but give the guys a chance.

You have to have an open mind about this tour, the music and appreciating the legacy of Blind Melon.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    momofglynn wrote:
    Yes that's right BLIND FUCKING MELON!!!!! (in fact, everytime someone said that, the guys in the band would say Right on!!!)First show in 12 years!!!!! I am still in shock. I am still half asleep, got home so late from Providence. It was such an emotional night. If any of you have them coming near your town I highly recommend going. You will never see them in such a small venue again. I know I am in the Boston area and they are coming back around in about 2 weeks, at Harper's Ferry. Burlington, VT tonight. The new kid is SPOT ON!! They are very clear they want to keep Shannon's image very much alive. There is nothing but love from this band for Shannon and Travis knows he will never replace Shannon ever. BUT MAN DOES HE HAVE A SET OF PIPES!!!!!!!!!!

Tears pouring down my face when they opened with Galaxy. I think I came to tears about 5 maybe 6 times during the night. I just could not believe I was hearing Blind Melon after 12 years. It was like a breath of fresh air. My buddy has the set list. I have a pick and the memories of talking to each of the surviving member and telling them what I have been saying since the day Shannon died. The crowd, I will say, from the minute the 1st opening band came on, to the second that Blnd melon came to the stage, to the final sing along of No Rain, the crowd was behind them 100%. Of all places to kick off a tour like this, Providence is an AWESOME town. So beautiful. Could not believe how easy it was to get there.

Glen Graham - Drums-Just held both of his hands and said thanks for coming out and welcome back. The happened right at the end of the show, you could tell he had some sort of release. In the beginning of the night we almost walked right into him as we were heading to the show. He was b-lining to some pizza shop!

Rogers Stevens - Guitar- I got to talk to in length right after the show. So down to earth. He calls Travis a blessing. Couldn't believe that such a talented guy just appeared after all that time. And he felt maybe now the rest of the world will see how much hard work they put into Soup.

Christopher Thorn - Guitar- Greeted him right as the came on stage for the first time. That was emotional for both of us. Got to talk to him and his dad afterwards. His dad is so proud. It's like the families had been living with this along with the bands. They all knew that it was not suppose to end but they knew that they needed to give everyone space.

Brad Smith - Bass, Vocals- Again chatted with him briefly. But certainly got the point across that it was the right time. And I welcomed him back.

I did not get to speak to Travis other than shake his hand. But every single person in that room sang every single lyric, even the new songs right back at him. He is the real deal. Just solid, amazing.

If you have any doubts, let me assure you that these will blow you away!!!! Go and see them. You will not be disappointed. I just wish I had more money to see a couple of the other shows. But I feel honored to have seen the very 1st show back.

I could go on all day on just how insane the night was.

Thanks for listening. Please do yourself a favor and check this band out. Blind Melon is fucking BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im glad you had such a great time.... I'm waiting for them to come around FL.

I saw them in 1994, with Shannon and I can't wait to see them again :) !
    You are right Shannon will never be replaced, but after exchanging a couple of emails with Rogers Stevens I dont think that was ever their intention...

Ill keep my eye out for Florida dates :)

Thanks for the review...it sounds like a great show!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    blind melon without shannon is not blind melon....he was great and tjhe soul of the band

I don't think it's the same either....
    But I think that Brad, Glen, Christopher and Rogers have continued with what was their band as well with great respect....

I didnt wanna hear it when I heard they were getting back together with the same name and touring doing songs Shannon use to sing, w/out Shannon...

... since then I have exchanged a couple of words with Rogers Stevens and it's kinda hard not to understand the way they feel as well....

Blind Melon will never be the same IMO, just because of the fact Shannon is not longer there.... but Im looking forward to see the rest of the band again and what Travis can deliver with the new songs....
    reggie500 wrote:
    if that were the case then Elvis and Sinatra would've never recorded a note because they never wrote songs....
    PJ would've never covered a Who song.
    Sindead O'Conner would've never recorded that deeply personal Prince song...

the list goes on and on.

I think soulsinging was being sarcastic.... hence the smiley rollin' its eyes...
  • I understand how you feel about this - you are right, there is a difference...I saw the new Alice In Chains and they were great and all, but it was a little sad to me that they sang angry chair...I think they could have done it as an instrumental.

Finally a voice of reason (besides mine ;)) enters the thread. :)
    how is this playing make believe? did they give him a shannon mask?
    Yeah, you just couldn't tell cuz it was a bad imitation...much like his singing. :D
    mouthfulofsoup, I know you're emotional involved with the songs and Shannon, but give the guys a chance.

You have to have an open mind about this tour, the music and appreciating the legacy of Blind Melon.

PBM

Nah, no open mind. My mind is closed on the matter. I appreciate the legacy of the real Blind Melon every day when I listen to my CD's or a live show from the past. I don't need to hear them trying to recreate the impossible 12 years later. I'd give anything to have them back, but that unfortunately will never truly happen.
    Im glad you had such a great time.... I'm waiting for them to come around FL.

I saw them in 1994, with Shannon and I can't wait to see them again :) !
    You are right Shannon will never be replaced, but after exchanging a couple of emails with Rogers Stevens I dont think that was ever their intention...

Ill keep my eye out for Florida dates

Thanks for the review...it sounds like a great show!

Wow, Urs. I'm amazed you changed your mind on this. I remember how strongly you felt about it. :( I really don't understand how any true Melon fan can be ok with this. Have you seen the video of "Change" on Youtube from that night? Give me a fucking break. To each their own. But the words I exchanged with Rogers a while back only confirmed that he can give a rats ass about his fans.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."

Wow, Urs. I'm amazed you changed your mind on this. I remember how strongly you felt about it. :( I really don't understand how any true Melon fan can be ok with this. Have you seen the video of "Change" on Youtube from that night? Give me a fucking break. To each their own. But the words I exchanged with Rogers a while back only confirmed that he can give a rats ass about his fans.

Blind Melon to me will never be the same w/out Shannon....
    whether I think Travis should or not be singing certain songs.... I dont know about that... to me the songs mean what they mean and I look at Travis as covering those songs... not really performing them as his own.. kinda like when they did the Storytellers for The Doors and all those different singers sang Jim's songs, and that's all it was different singers paying a tribute to Jim with Jim's old band I think this is very much like that... in my heart those songs are still Shannon's and they will never be the same unless sung by him...

As I said earlier... I had a lot of issues with this using the same name for the band but the reality of it is that this band was not just Shannon but it was all of them and their lives came to a halt when Shannon passed... and they are trying to hold on to what they worked so hard for so I can understand the way they feel...

Even Shannon's mom has come to terms with it... I dont think she thinks of Blind Melon as the same.. but I'm sure in her heart she also understands that Rogers, Brad, Chris and Glenn have the right to continue on with the band....

I dont feel less of a fan because I don't hold a grudge against them...
  • Blind Melon to me will never be the same w/out Shannon....
    whether I think Travis should or not be singing certain songs.... I dont know about that... to me the songs mean what they mean and I look at Travis as covering those songs... not really performing them as his own.. kinda like when they did the Storytellers for The Doors and all those different singers sang Jim's songs, and that's all it was different singers paying a tribute to Jim with Jim's old band I think this is very much like that... in my heart those songs are still Shannon's and they will never be the same unless sung by him...

As I said earlier... I had a lot of issues with this using the same name for the band but the reality of it is that this band was not just Shannon but it was all of them and their lives came to a halt when Shannon passed... and they are trying to hold on to what they worked so hard for so I can understand the way they feel...

Even Shannon's mom has come to terms with it... I dont think she thinks of Blind Melon as the same.. but I'm sure in her heart she also understands that Rogers, Brad, Chris and Glenn have the right to continue on with the band....

I dont feel less of a fan because I don't hold a grudge against them...

Exactly, different singers singing Jim's songs to pay tribute to him. Not calling themselves the fucking Doors while doing so. & I don't care what anyone says, yes Nel in her own way has come to terms with it, it certainly doesn't mean she's okay with it. Her myspace message alone about it said a lot about her real feelings without having to.

Do they have the "right" to continue on with the band...sure. Does it make it right? No.

Cash those checks while they last, boys! :)
    Exactly, different singers singing Jim's songs to pay tribute to him. Not calling themselves the fucking Doors while doing so. & I don't care what anyone says, yes Nel in her own way has come to terms with it, it certainly doesn't mean she's okay with it. Her myspace message alone about it said a lot about her real feelings without having to.

Do they have the "right" to continue on with the band...sure. Does it make it right? No.

Cash those checks while they last, boys! :)

I dont know if there is right or wrong....
    Like I said Blind Melon to me will always be with Shannon as the lead singer...
    But I was ready to let go of the grudge...
    Whatever they do with their music and how they do it doesnt change what Blind Melon means to me...

Other bands have done so ... AC/DC and Pink Floyd being 2 examples... Bon Scott was so unique to AC/DC as he still is though so is Brian Johnson... does he sing Bon's songs sure he does... does that mean he replaced him... ?absolutely not... he just gave the band a different twist with a very similar voice...

Pink Floyd ... Roger Waters hasn't died of course but they toured without him and it was not the same but they sure were still Pink Floyd...

Shannon has a special place in my heart and there will never be anyone that will sing those songs and make them mean as much ...
    But I dont find it in me (not anymore) to judge them or tell them whether they are right or wrong...

im guessing by your tone that that he doesn't give a rat's ass about is you and your self righteous attitude about what he can and cannot do with HIS band. i'm a true melon fan, and i am just fine with this. becos actually knowing a few things about the band beyond your mindless, casual lead singer worship (only the most casual fans of a band focus on lead singers as much as you do), i'm aware that shannon auditioned for the band. you said yourself, change was the first song he played to THEM. THEY were a band before shannon. they are a band after. and they can go on to record and tour with whoever the fuck they want. they are far from the first band to have more than one singer throughout their career. ever hear of a band called pink floyd? pretty sure they didn't pack it in and call it quits once syd barrett left. then there's the aforementioned ac/dc. faith no more. van halen. carlos santana doesn't even sing his songs at all. when were the beatles actually the beatles? i mean, if the only important or meaningful person in a band is the singer, which singer made the beatles the beatles? didn't black sabbath change singers at one point?
  • im guessing by your tone that that he doesn't give a rat's ass about is you and your self righteous attitude about what he can and cannot do with HIS band. i'm a true melon fan, and i am just fine with this. becos actually knowing a few things about the band beyond your mindless, casual lead singer worship (only the most casual fans of a band focus on lead singers as much as you do), i'm aware that shannon auditioned for the band. you said yourself, change was the first song he played to THEM. THEY were a band before shannon. they are a band after. and they can go on to record and tour with whoever the fuck they want. they are far from the first band to have more than one singer throughout their career. ever hear of a band called pink floyd? pretty sure they didn't pack it in and call it quits once syd barrett left. then there's the aforementioned ac/dc. faith no more. van halen.

I'm so sick of the "such & such band did it" comparison. Well "such & such" wasn't my fav. band & just because someone else did it doesn't make it right. Yeah, you're right I'm just a casual fan, I can't understand why this bothers me so much. :rolleyes: He auditioned for the band, that is correct, but to say they were a band before would be debatable. While all the members brought their uniqueness to the band, Shannon was the the true creative driving force & passion behind it. Listen to the new songs compared to the old & tell me they compare. They were in a whole nother league before. To classify themselves as the same band is insulting to Shannon, the fans & their catalog.

I had nothing against any of the guys for continuing with other projects & continuing to play music after Shannon died, hell, that's what they do & should be doing.

I held great respect for the band for deciding not to continue under the Melon name after Shannon passed. It showed that the guys really thought of themselves as brothers as they always claimed. Just cuz 12 years passes you don't replace your brother do you?
    I'm so sick of the "such & such band did it" comparison. Well "such & such" wasn't my fav. band & just because someone else did it doesn't make it right. Yeah, you're right I'm just a casual fan, I can't understand why this bothers me so much. :rolleyes: He auditioned for the band, that is correct, but to say they were a band before would be debatable. While all the members brought their uniqueness to the band, Shannon was the the true creative driving force & passion behind it. Listen to the new songs compared to the old & tell me they compare. They were in a whole nother league before. To classify themselves as the same band is insulting to Shannon, the fans & their catalog.

I had nothing against any of the guys for continuing with other projects & continuing to play music after Shannon died, hell, that's what they do & should be doing.

I held great respect for the band for deciding not to continue under the Melon name after Shannon passed. It showed that the guys really thought of themselves as brothers as they always claimed. Just cuz 12 years passes you don't replace your brother do you?

no, but i won't be changing my name when my brother dies either... becos i'm still a member of the mc___ family. i haven't heard the new songs. i think i heard 3 of them and i liked them all very much. what drew me to the band in the first place was always the songwriting and the musicianship. shannon was icing on the cake.

my point with the other bands is how can you forgive pink floyd, but not blind melon? they classified themselves as the same band... do you feel that was an insult to their fans? were dark side of the moon and the wall huge insults that should never have seen the light of day?
  • Just curious, how old are you, soulsinging?
    Just curious, how old are you, soulsinging?

25. what difference does that make?
  • To classify themselves as the same band is insulting to Shannon, the fans & their catalog.

I think it's clear that they're not the same band. But, while touring under that moniker, they are going to pay tribute/respect to some great songs

I applaud them to trying different projects. Again, it didn't click. They have every right to continue on with a name they established.

I agree with with soulsinging said in another thread...to paraphrase: You're championing Shannon as if he appreciates you having his back.

I think Shannon would appreciate the respect his band mates show him and I think he would want his music to live on in a live atmosphere.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Blind Melon is an incredible band that had the heart and soul of a real band. Their albums kept rock alive for me through these turbulent times in the 21st century. We need this band to rock and roll!!!

Are they coming to Detroit??? Please tell me they are at least hittin Toledo!
  • Lets all stop making such a big fuss over a mediocre one hit wonder band.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Lets all stop making such a big fuss over a mediocre one hit wonder band.

kidding right?

you actually heard any of their albums or songs except no rain?
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    kidding right?

you actually heard any of their albums or songs except no rain?

I've heard all 3 of their albums.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • Exactly! No Rain was cool and that got me interested in the album. I asked one of my music loving friends and they had seen them live and said they kick ass. Picked up the first album and bought the other two a week later.

Check out Black Stone Cherry! They are a new young band out of the south.
  • 25. what difference does that make?

Ah, ok. So you were only 13 when Shannon died & either weren't a fan yet, or some kid who couldn't grasp it. That's all I needed to know.
    Lets all stop making such a big fuss over a mediocre one hit wonder band.

lol...asswipe. :p
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Jealous; Blind Melon is one of the all time best bands. Still listen to them on a weekly basis.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Ah, ok. So you were only 13 when Shannon died & either weren't a fan yet, or some kid who couldn't grasp it. That's all I needed to know.

You lose a lot of creditability with that statement. :(

I was 18 at the time of his passing.

I was incredibly saddened by his death. I related to their music and appreciated the sound they created.

PBM

• You lose a lot of creditability with that statement. :(

I was 18 at the time of his passing.

I was incredibly saddened by his death. I related to their music and appreciated the sound they created.

PBM

There's a big difference between 18 & 13 when it comes to understanding & appreciating music, PBM. I was 17 & they were my fav. band when he passed.
  • There's a big difference between 18 & 13 when it comes to understanding & appreciating music, PBM. I was 17 & they were my fav. band when he passed.

That totally depends on the person, some people can be very mature at 13, just as some people can be incredibly immature at 18.
  • That totally depends on the person, some people can be very mature at 13, just as some people can be incredibly immature at 18.

Yeah, you are right...But this kid in particular is still immature, so I can only imagine what 13 was like for him. lol.
  • Yeah, you are right...But this kid in particular is still immature, so I can only imagine what 13 was like for him. lol.

Dude, with all due respect (and of course you're entitled to your opinion), why do you bother arguing in these Blind Melon threads? Your opinion is based solely on emotion and completely devoid of logic. If you're so intent on shunning the reunion, why waste your energy debating the finer points when you have no plans to even entertain anyone else's opinions?

Just because you believe Shannon was the heart and soul of the band, doesn't mean he was. Just as I will always think of Chris Cornell as the most important member of Soundgarden, doesn't mean the other members didn't bring equal talent to their roles in the band. It just so happens that the singer gets to deliver the most emotional aspect of the music, i.e the lyrics and vocals - but all of those things would be worthless without the musical backing.
  • Dude, with all due respect (and of course you're entitled to your opinion), why do you bother arguing in these Blind Melon threads? Your opinion is based solely on emotion and completely devoid of logic. If you're so intent on shunning the reunion, why waste your energy debating the finer points when you have no plans to even entertain anyone else's opinions?

Just because you believe Shannon was the heart and soul of the band, doesn't mean he was. Just as I will always think of Chris Cornell as the most important member of Soundgarden, doesn't mean the other members didn't bring equal talent to their roles in the band. It just so happens that the singer gets to deliver the most emotional aspect of the music, i.e the lyrics and vocals - but all of those things would be worthless without the musical backing.

Yea, it's a useless battle & waste of time...but I can't stand to see people raving about "BLIND MELON" when it's so wrong to me. I remember a time, back before they decided to get back together, someone would suggest it, & everyone would say it wouldn't be the same & how ridiculous it was. Now everyone thinks it's the greatest thing in the world & I just don't get it.

Blind Melon was my fav. band when Shannon passed, & still is to this day. When all was said & done, I was left with this perfect band, with a perfect catalog that nothing would ever be able to destroy.

I know I will not change anyone's mind, nor will anyone change mine. I'm just venting...
  • I'm just venting...

I think we understand where you're coming from. I think we'd all love for Shannon to be here making great music.

But, the past is the past.

I'm excited to see Glen, Chris, Rogers and Brad create new music with Travis and honor the music of Shannon.

PBM

• you guys need to splash some fuckin water on yer faces. cool off. damn.

this sounds more like a tribute of sorts than a cash cow. i know some people love this band and have for years and years and years, but the fact is, i bet very few young people are discovering blind melon these days, especially the beautiful classicness of "soup." most of blind melon's best songs are on that album and it's shitty that the other band members were only able to play these songs that they poured their fuckin guts into (not just shannon) live a handful of times before hoon kicked it on tour. after 12 years, they probably realized that this was some of the very best, most inspired music they have ever made, and were saddened that barely anyone even knows about the record. from that set list, they wanna bring that album out of obscurity and into some form of modern relevance. you wanna cut their throats for that? i doubt shannon is very pissed off about this. he's probably pretty damn proud to see em come to terms emotionally with everything. let's everyone heal a little bit.

if yer a fan, sorry to say, you are nothing but a spectator, regardless of your emotional involvement. you didn't conceive of these songs. you didn't give birth to em. you didn't sweat it out with your friends and hope and dream that people will connect with your art. you didn't have yer friend robbed before it could be achieved. these guys have their reasons for this, and you can't fault em for thier decisions. they wanna play these songs live with a crowd that knows every fucking word and pay tribute to their friend as well as their own amazing musical legacy.

fuck off if you think that's wrong.

now, if they start doing commercials and shit, then i'll cry foul. but for a tour, big fucking deal. geez.