Greenday on american idol.

Comments

• mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Staceb10 wrote:
    The snobbery on this board is astounding....
    Could you be more specific?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Green Day and American Idol.............two of the biggest problems with American entertainment
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    mookie9999 wrote:
    The message was playing the whole time?? If you blinked, all you would have seen were pictures of people you don't know. For all you know they could have been singing for the NAACP.
    They weren't. Don't be ridiculous. It was playing but since the people who work at American Idol have no clue they focused on Billie. There was probably even some spoken word about it but was edited out.
    danny72688 wrote:
    They weren't. Don't be ridiculous. It was playing but since the people who work at American Idol have no clue they focused on Billie. There was probably even some spoken word about it but was edited out.

If that was the case then AI (anyone who has a major role in the show) are an even bigger bunch of douchebags than I already thought! Joking aside, when watching the clip all I saw was the two separate messages shown very briefly followed by clips of I assume Sudanese natives. You can't say that the "message" was playing throughout. Even when they focused on Billie you could see what was going on in the background.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Could you be more specific?

Sure.. Calling Green Day sell outs for playing a song on American Idol and acting like they just sold their soul to the devil. Then when someone says it was promoting a song from a charity album..it isn't enough either! Because they didn't come out and say "We know American Idol sucks but we want to make everyone aware that we are doing this to promote this album to help save Darfur" everyone acts like they are no longer worthy of being called musicians or some shit. It's ridiculous. Again, Bono must be the same sad sell-out because he actually WORKED with the damn contestants but wait..is that different because he was doing it for a benefit show? :rolleyes:
  • Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    mookie9999 wrote:
    If that was the case then AI (anyone who has a major role in the show) are an even bigger bunch of douchebags than I already thought! Joking aside, when watching the clip all I saw was the two separate messages shown very briefly followed by clips of I assume Sudanese natives. You can't say that the "message" was playing throughout. Even when they focused on Billie you could see what was going on in the background.

So what?

Have you ever heard a song like that and thought "wow that was great. I wonder where I can find that song"? Well what do you know....they can find it on the BENEFIT album they are promoting.
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Yes American Idol is run by fools I agree.

And yes I only saw a few written messages, but images speak louder than words and I see a lot of that going on.
    Staceb10 wrote:
    ...like they just sold their soul to the devil.

Again, Bono must be the same sad sell-out because he actually WORKED with the damn contestants but wait..is that different because he was doing it for a benefit show? :rolleyes:

Actually I thought they sold their soul to the devil when they played the Super Bowl. I have never seen Bono on the show (I don't watch the show). If he did it for a benefit, then knowing Bono, I'm sure people knew what he was doing there.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

Staceb10 wrote:
    So what?

Have you ever heard a song like that and thought "wow that was great. I wonder where I can find that song"? Well what do you know....they can find it on the BENEFIT album they are promoting.

Actually, to find this song I would only have to reach into my vinyl collection to hear the original. As far as people buying it and the money going to a good cause, great. But after the idol crowd pays to vote for their favorite, they probably will just rip the tune online and say fuck Darfur.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i really dont understand why this band gets so much crap. They are a good band. Not the greatest ever, and certainly not the worst. But American Idiot was an awesome album. I mean, people act like they sold out, but kathleen hanna punk rock idol of her own, appears briefly on the record.

I for one think its great they got a political conscience.

I for one am eagerly awaiting the follow up to American Idiot.
    but kathleen hanna punk rock idol of her own, appears briefly on the record.

Whenever I hear that name I think of the message she left for Watt that Ed played on Self Polution Radio. Funny Funny stuff! "Yeah, Mr. Watt..."
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    as far as the song choice goes, Working Class Hero is one of the most powerful songs ever, and its hardly ever on those top 10 songs lists or whatever.

Its a chilling portrayal of what life is like, coming of age, and all that. Its about how adults could give a damn about us kids.

So ANY band that is bringing this message to the masses, the powerful words of John lennon, anyone who is doing that, is a stand up band.

We need Working Class Heroes. people who refuse to buy into the system, people who question, people who dont follow the rules.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I thought it was good cover, but OMG they had to play it on there? lol...I love GD but there is no way I can defend them now :p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:
    but OMG they had to play it on there?
    Yeah I feel the same way. Kinda makes American Idiot seem so fake.
    However it was a smart move to sell that benefit CD. Get the idiots from AI to buy it and you're guaranteed to sell mass quantities.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    danny72688 wrote:
    However it was a smart move to sell that benefit CD. Get the idiots from AI to buy it and you're guaranteed to sell mass quantities.

lol..true enough
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Actually I thought they sold their soul to the devil when they played the Super Bowl. I have never seen Bono on the show (I don't watch the show). If he did it for a benefit, then knowing Bono, I'm sure people knew what he was doing there.

So Bono sold out too when U2 played the Superbowl?
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    as far as the song choice goes, Working Class Hero is one of the most powerful songs ever, and its hardly ever on those top 10 songs lists or whatever.

Its a chilling portrayal of what life is like, coming of age, and all that. Its about how adults could give a damn about us kids.

So ANY band that is bringing this message to the masses, the powerful words of John lennon, anyone who is doing that, is a stand up band.

We need Working Class Heroes. people who refuse to buy into the system, people who question, people who dont follow the rules.

AMEN to THAT! :D
    mookie9999 wrote:
    That's not the point. Seeing how we have more people vote for American Idol than we do for the president of the u.s. I would venture a guess that the viewers, not me, would need their hands held in being told what cause to support. I'm not questioning my education, how bout you? Seem a little sensitve when someone poses a valid question about your beloved Green Day.

As for the whole theory that more people vote for AI than the presidency, the presidency only allows you to vote once. AI allows people to vote endlessly. Those numbers are inflated & don't represent the number of individuals who voted.
    Also I said it in the other thread & I'll say it here too:

I can't wait til Kelly Clarkson's Mike Watt album comes out & every indie snob dies a little inside! :D
    So Bono sold out too when U2 played the Superbowl?

Um, Yes. It's all about pick and choose wisely. Are Pearl Jam masters at it? No. Do they do it better than most mainstream acts? IMO, Yes.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    Um, Yes. It's all about pick and choose wisely. Are Pearl Jam masters at it? No. Do they do it better than most mainstream acts? IMO, Yes.

I don't like U2 personally but whatever. Just curious to see if you were playing on an even playing field.
  • this is a joke. bands appear on tv all the time to promote songs/albums. why are you all so bitter? because it was american idol? and its cool to not like it?

i guess bands that appear on leno/letterman/snl (hello pearl jam) are sellouts too? they're doing the same exact thing green day did.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    Personally I can't stand U2. Just curious to see if you were playing on an even playing field.

I always play on an even field. :D Or at least try to. Now back to this Watt/Clarkson duo, do tell. Please tell me it will be an acapella duet of Piss Bottle Man!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

this is a joke. bands appear on tv all the time to promote songs/albums. why are you all so bitter? because it was american idol? and its cool to not like it?

i guess bands that appear on leno/letterman/snl (hello pearl jam) are sellouts too? they're doing the same exact thing green day did.

Exactly. I'm so sick of everyone jumping on their soap boxes, screaming at the top of their lungs, "I hate fill-in-the-blank" It's so tiresome. Everyone thinks they're so fresh, so cutting edge, so radical by declaring they hate whatever happens to be popular at the time. But honestly, by the time they've made their self-important declarations public, the whole issue has been played to death.

It's one thing to not like a tv show or a band. It's a whole other thing when people start acting like it's the downfall of western civilization. Join a real fight. Find a real cause.
    this is a joke. bands appear on tv all the time to promote songs/albums. why are you all so bitter? because it was american idol? and its cool to not like it?

It is because it is on American Idol, but not because it's cool not to like it, but rather for what the show stands for and who it is being marketed to. Letterman is a sardonic, no nonsense host who you can tell when he does and does not like an act or guest. He seems to respect music and musicians and enjoys having a good time. Whereas AI whores their contestants out on some tour, force them to sign a recording contract of the likes of producers from the 1950's where the "artists" get screwed everywhich way from Thursday, and have no say in what they can or cannot do. So, no I don't feel that artists appearing on talk shows are sell outs, unless you appear on Carson Daly. That guys just a fucking tool! ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    I always play on an even field. :D Or at least try to. Now back to this Watt/Clarkson duo, do tell. Please tell me it will be an acapella duet of Piss Bottle Man!

Watt plays on her new album. Frankly I love it. I seriously love it. :D I don't mean the album. I haven't heard it. I love the fact that he's playing on her album. Pitchfork snobs need to be put in their place sometimes :D
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    Since I've upset so many of you I would like to add I highly doubt anyone from Orange County know what it's like to be a working class hero, anyway let me sum up:

-Bono is a sell out and more of a politician than a musician - anyone have any figures of how many of his personal riches have went to the causes he parades?

-Green Day are pushing a message they didn't give a fuck about 5 years ago - or was there no problems in the world to speak against before Bush?

-American Idiot was trash

Thanks, I look forward to the bleeding hearts to come and tell me how Pearl Jam did the same. Also, my issue isn't necessarily that these bands are selling out - they sell out all the time - its that they are using the man who is the antithesis of selling out to push themselves - benefit or not. It's the musical equivalent to putting Kurt in a doc martens advertisement.
    gibbits wrote:

-Green Day are pushing a message they didn't give a fuck about 5 years ago - or was there no problems in the world to speak against before Bush?

Yeah God forbid someone actually awaken politically. You know grow. Evolve.

Bleeding hearts? That's fresh. Good luck to everyone arguing in this thread. I pity the people who have him on their side.
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    who "awakens" to politics at 35? this shit is going on in front of your eyes from day one.
    gibbits wrote:
    who "awakens" to politics at 35? this shit is going on in front of your eyes from day one.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize they was an age requirement. You have to be politically active by a certain age or else you sit on the sidelines for the rest of your life?