Greenday on american idol.

Comments

• There's one thing about this board I don't get?? A band plays on American idol to raise money for a benifit that you guys don't like you shit all over them and call them sellouts. PJ does benefits all the time and you praise them like God. Their doing the same thing to raise money for a cause. If PJ was on Amercain Idol doing the same cause, let me be blunt and just come out and say this, you would either be on your knees or calling them sellouts. It sounds hypocritical to me.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I just wanted you to know where I was coming from.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    B nice wrote:
    pearl jam was on Friends
    and and
    eds old lady wore a pj hoodie to the cubs game like "look at me and my lip job"

Talk About LAME

PJ's song was on Friends, they never appeared. Big difference.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I watched it . I never knew Green Day had expanded to four members, the usual suspects and the shark they jumped over. Seriously , aren't there other forums for expressing support and raising money to aid the victims of the genocide in Darfur?
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Raising money for charity is a joke?

no being a going on american idol and becoming a mockery of what you once were aka joke is being a joke
  • gibbits wrote:
    one thing i never got about greenday is they never gave a fuck for political cause for their entire career - nearly became irrelevant and bankrupt, so they hop on the hate bush bandwagon and put on eyeliner - and everyone hails them as the saviours of rock and true musicians - now they cover one of the best protest songs ever - and its just so fake. i liked greenday when they wrote music about masturbating and smoking weed - all their stuff from kerplunk to warning, but this faux we give a shit stuff is terrible - i guess i just have to face greenday didn't want to be the band they were anymore, they wanted to suck off emo kids.
    Hasn't Billie Joe been wearing eyeliner his whole career?

I'm not a Green Day fan, but seriously... they played for a good cause and obviously THAT show is going to get their cause exposure.

Oh..and like someone else said..maybe they grew out of teenage boy land.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    The song is a charity single, right? So they have sacrificed their 'punk-rock credibility' to hopefully sell more copies/downloads to raise money for that charity? That in itself is a pretty cool thing to do, it's not like they are promoting their latest album or anything.

First off, they haven't had "punk cred" since 1993. After Dookie, punk rock they were no more. Secondly, I did not see the performance, but it sounds as though the only display of them raising money for charity was by a video playing behind them can leave some wondering what they were doing there. At least when PJ did Rockin' with Bono it was at a charity concert, not fucking American Idol. Great that GD are raising money for Darfur, but IMO they still blow.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    Staceb10 wrote:
    I guess if Green Day are sell outs then so is Bono.

Glad to see we're on the same page
  • Blind3 wrote:
    I watched it . I never knew Green Day had expanded to four members

yeah the new guitar player is pretty much ignored
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
    i am sickened by what i am reading here. a band doing something for a good cause is being a sell-out? everyone should sacrifice a little to help some one else. for all of the nay sayers here what have you done for anyone else lately? is this honestly the type of people that represent themselves as pearl jam fans? i am ashamed to be under such a title as you. be less self righteous and allow others to do as they see fit! pearl jam would puke all over if they could here some of this crap!

Again let me state that I did not see the performance. But did they have a website showing or any mention about how we could make a difference? Again, if they did I will take back what I'm about to say, but it seems to me that if they were that concerned about making money for a good cause wouldn't they demand that they would only appear on some pile of shit show if they could get their message across via a statement or through the mentioning of a website? IMO they are johnnycomelately's who want to jump on the caring bandwagon only to further their career.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

edited October 2010
    what have you done lately? i don't think someone should have to hold your hand to figure out a way to help! educate yourself!

That's not the point. Seeing how we have more people vote for American Idol than we do for the president of the u.s. I would venture a guess that the viewers, not me, would need their hands held in being told what cause to support. I'm not questioning my education, how bout you? Seem a little sensitve when someone poses a valid question about your beloved Green Day.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• ReeenkRoinkReeenkRoink Posts: 108
    Blind3 wrote:
    I watched it . I never knew Green Day had expanded to four members, the usual suspects and the shark they jumped over. Seriously , aren't there other forums for expressing support and raising money to aid the victims of the genocide in Darfur?

There are other forums, but that is the Number 1 show in the Country, like it or not it has the biggest audience.

No one heard Steven Van Zandt on Stern yesterday saying that Bruce Springsteen may consider going on American Idol to do promotion for their next album? He said the music Industry has changed and radio is no longer a viable outlet for promotion.
    No one heard Steven Van Zandt on Stern yesterday saying that Bruce Springsteen may consider going on American Idol to do promotion for their next album?

That would be a sad, sad, day.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

edited October 2010
    not my beloved green day, just peoples right to do what they want. i voted. i always vote! never voted for an american idol though. i feel all people need to educate themselves and if watching american idol happens to shed some light on ignorant people then i say it's a good thing.

Agreed! But again I ask you or anyone else who saw the performance, was their any mention of the cause other than a video screen in the background. If not, I have a feeling that the aforementioned ignorant people wouldn't be learning anything from the performance other than "Greenday good. I'm hungry, must eat food."
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Agreed! But again I ask you or anyone else who saw the performance, was their any mention of the cause other than a video screen in the background. If not, I have a feeling that the aforementioned ignorant people wouldn't be learning anything from the performance other than "Greenday good. I'm hungry, must eat food."

The song they did was a song from a charity album. Therefore, if you like the song and want to check it out you buy the album that goes to the charity.

All this crap about Green Day and nobody cares about Bono being on AI or even Joe Perry???
    Staceb10 wrote:
    The song they did was a song from a charity album. Therefore, if you like the song and want to check it out you buy the album that goes to the charity.

All this crap about Green Day and nobody cares about Bono being on AI or even Joe Perry???

Don't watch the show so didn't know that Bono was on. As far as Joe Perry is concerned, at this point, nothing that any member of Aerosmith does will surprise me. They sold their soul a good 20 years ago. Let the Greenday whorefest...err, lovefest resume.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• whitejellywhitejelly Posts: 18
    mookie9999 wrote:

Exactly right. I didn't see Green Day perform (I have never watched American Idol because I do not like the type of music that is prodominately featured), but if there was no mention of the charity that they are supporting, then they are not on to support a "good cause". American Idol is not a good cause. I'm guessing very little if any of the millions of dollars generated from the American Idol show went to the charity. Green Day was on to keep themselves relevant to potential record buyers for when they drop their next album.

If they did legitimately promote their cause, with at least a mention of what the cause was, there would be an argument that they were playing for charity. Otherwise, sell-out all the way. But does it really matter? As long as I like the music, I will buy it and listen to it, regardless of how many other people buy it and listen to it.

I guess ultimately I am arguing that they were not there to support the cause. Their job is to make music and sell it and that is what they were there for.

As far as their politically charged album (and Pearl Jam's political statements), I've always been of the opinion (personally) that I don't care what the band's leanings are. If it's a good song, it's a good song. I can educate myself about issues and what I believe is the best for me, my country, and my planet. I respect their opinion, but I'm not going to judge them on it (I'll keep my judgements to politicians who are ultimately making the decisions). So even if a band did a complete political 180, if the music is good, I don't care. Did Green Day sell-out by hopping on the anti-Bush bandwagon? Maybe...but there are still some good songs on American Idiot.
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Nijmegen 2007
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    At first, I couldn't believe that they would be on a lame show like AI, but if you watched it, it wasn't just a great Lennon song covered and for Darfur, they had screens with words on them persuading people to act and stand up for humanity. Instead of selling out, I see this as a political and social move that's pretty smart, since all the shallow and brain-dead people out there watch shows like AI. We need to get them moving and thinking differently.
    whitejelly wrote:
    Exactly right. I didn't see Green Day perform (I have never watched American Idol because I do not like the type of music that is prodominately featured), but if there was no mention of the charity that they are supporting, then they are not on to support a "good cause". American Idol is not a good cause. I'm guessing very little if any of the millions of dollars generated from the American Idol show went to the charity. Green Day was on to keep themselves relevant to potential record buyers for when they drop their next album.

If they did legitimately promote their cause, with at least a mention of what the cause was, there would be an argument that they were playing for charity. Otherwise, sell-out all the way. But does it really matter? As long as I like the music, I will buy it and listen to it, regardless of how many other people buy it and listen to it.

I guess ultimately I am arguing that they were not there to support the cause. Their job is to make music and sell it and that is what they were there for.

As far as their politically charged album (and Pearl Jam's political statements), I've always been of the opinion (personally) that I don't care what the band's leanings are. If it's a good song, it's a good song. I can educate myself about issues and what I believe is the best for me, my country, and my planet. I respect their opinion, but I'm not going to judge them on it (I'll keep my judgements to politicians who are ultimately making the decisions). So even if a band did a complete political 180, if the music is good, I don't care. Did Green Day sell-out by hopping on the anti-Bush bandwagon? Maybe...but there are still some good songs on American Idiot.

Thank You! For a moment I thought I was lost in an abyss of pure, sweet, street legal ignorance. Started to think I was the only one that shared this opinion. Wouldn't care so much if I was the only one, but still be saddened by the state of music affairs that everyone is on the same bus of, "Fuck you if you disagree, and a big Fuck You if you don't like American Idol."
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

For those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gPck4ZPEs

Just watched it and I stand by my initial statement. All that I saw was a 2-3 second flash of the words "Stop the Killing in Darfur" followed by a shorter "Save Darfur". The rest was smoke, lights, and the random citizen.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I thought it was a great cover. sell outs, AI garbage, blah blah blah whatever. still a great cover.

And a side note - many times bands appear b/c they have contracts with record companies and promotions makes them appear. that is corporate america. hard to stay away from that - PJ has done a very decent job at it, but was willing to alienate record companies and fans. Not all bands are willing to do that. Some call that sell out's - other's call it a smart profitable business decision. all just an opinion.
    I thought it was a great cover. sell outs, AI garbage, blah blah blah whatever. still a great cover.

And a side note - many times bands appear b/c they have contracts with record companies and promotions makes them appear. that is corporate america. hard to stay away from that - PJ has done a very decent job at it, but was willing to alienate record companies and fans. Not all bands are willing to do that. Some call that sell out's - other's call it a smart profitable business decision. all just an opinion.

I can't stand Green Day (shocker, I know). But with that being said, it was a decent cover. As far as contractual obligations, after the success of American Idiot, you cannot tell me that they don't have enough pull to not appear on AI? Give me a break.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    ONce again the stupid "Sell-Out" label.

Can someone tell me how promoting a song on a BENEFIT album and showing video screens promoting your message to one of the largest viewing audiences of the year (many who wouldn't know of any of this otherwise) is a bad thing? Really.

Oh, and I'm no fan of Greenday, but jeez, try to think slighlty outside of your oh so Indie, commercial hating, sell-oout box from time to time.
    hippiemom = goodness

Can someone tell me how promoting a song on a BENEFIT album and showing video screens promoting your message to one of the largest viewing audiences of the year (many who wouldn't know of any of this otherwise) is a bad thing?

I'm sorry. But flashing a two second sign stating "Save Darfur" is not properly promoting a message. Half of the AI viewing audience probably think that Darfur is a band on some other reality competition. They should have done more.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I'm sorry. But flashing a two second sign stating "Save Darfur" is not properly promoting a message. Half of the AI viewing audience probably think that Darfur is a band on some other reality competition. They should have done more.
    Uh.....it wasn't Green Day's fault that idiot cameraman didn't focus on the screens. I watched that clip you provided and the message was playing the whole time.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    danny72688 wrote:
    Uh.....it wasn't Green Day's fault that idiot cameraman didn't focus on the screens. I watched that clip you provided and the message was playing the whole time.

Exactly.

It's really cool that people have so little to worry about in their lives that this is a big deal to them.
    hippiemom = goodness
    danny72688 wrote:
    The message was playing the whole time?? If you blinked, all you would have seen were pictures of people you don't know. For all you know they could have been singing for the NAACP.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    The snobbery on this board is astounding....