Greenday on american idol.

Jzs20Jzs20 Posts: 28
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I don't know if there are many greenday fans on here, but they just performed one of the best cover songs i've ever heard. "Working class hero" Pretty powerful performance if i say so myself.

I wouldn't say it's as good as such covers like Love reign o'er me or last kiss but its up there...IMO
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Jzs20 wrote:
    I don't know if there are many greenday fans on here, but they just performed one of the best cover songs i've ever heard. "Working class hero" Pretty powerful performance if i say so myself.

I wouldn't say it's as good as such covers like Love reign o'er me or last kiss but its up there...IMO
    prepare for the worst...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I can't believe those guys played AI ... lame-o.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    My father called to tell my son GD was on tv. Good cover, shitty place to play it. I was watching the Yankees.

At the end Bill Joes face looked like he was thinking...."Damn, did we just sell out............again?"
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    can you say - sellout sorry ass mfer's
    american idol is the ultimate garbage show
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • not4unot4u Posts: 512
    it is now so very easy to see the influence Pearl Jam has had on green day. Pearl Jam rules. Good stuff green day.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Wow....I love Green Day.....
    ....but did they forget they wrote American Idiot?

I guess they didn't mean what they were saying on that entire album and especially that song. Lame.
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    Jzs20 wrote:

someone please tell me what the fuck is so great about the last kiss cover?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Jzs20Jzs20 Posts: 28
    I don't know about any of you but I like money.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    moeaholic wrote:
    Me too! But I probably wouldn't listen. I cannot STAND that song. Yuck. Always a fastforward for me.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Good for them

now go on

who is the new guitar player?
    the Minions
  • lint223lint223 Posts: 33
    first off, the wife makes me watch it. LOL I was really suprised to see GD on there, but before people start calling them sell outs and stuff from being on there... i think they were promoting a benefit album for Amnesty International where all proceeds go to help save Darfur... and the images behind the band as they played kinda showed that... so i don't think they were there to open for Sanjaya. LOL
    ~===================================~
    ~Toronto 2003, Kitchener-London-Hamilton 2005~
    ~
    Toronto I & II 2006
    ~
    ~===================================~
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    trying to bring attention to the tragedities in Darfur, and for the promotion of peace is hardly "selling out."
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    why do people really care that green day performed on AI? isn't that song for a lennon tribute album that is being sold for some sort of charitable cause? if so, isn't it a good thing that they are trying to generate some buzz about it? i might be wrong about the compilation, but i was under the impression it was a benefit-type thing.

here it is: http://12.149.159.102/darfur/pr-REM.html

it's to benefit amnesty international and for darfur. good cause i would say.
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    one thing i never got about greenday is they never gave a fuck for political cause for their entire career - nearly became irrelevant and bankrupt, so they hop on the hate bush bandwagon and put on eyeliner - and everyone hails them as the saviours of rock and true musicians - now they cover one of the best protest songs ever - and its just so fake. i liked greenday when they wrote music about masturbating and smoking weed - all their stuff from kerplunk to warning, but this faux we give a shit stuff is terrible - i guess i just have to face greenday didn't want to be the band they were anymore, they wanted to suck off emo kids.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    gibbits wrote:
    one thing i never got about greenday is they never gave a fuck for political cause for their entire career - nearly became irrelevant and bankrupt, so they hop on the hate bush bandwagon and put on eyeliner - and everyone hails them as the saviours of rock and true musicians - now they cover one of the best protest songs ever - and its just so fake. i liked greenday when they wrote music about masturbating and smoking weed - all their stuff from kerplunk to warning, but this faux we give a shit stuff is terrible - i guess i just have to face greenday didn't want to be the band they were anymore, they wanted to suck off emo kids.
    i agree and this just proves further there $ell OUT$. im so glad im not a fan anymore
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Maybe you guys should look up the cause that that cover is contributing to.

Pearl Jam did pretty much the same thing.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    i dont care what the cause is, that doesn't all of a sudden means green day gives a fuck about what theyve been spouting off about for the past 4 years - face it - being a political dissenter is selling right now. Please, explain to me how PJ did the same thing? I would love to hear how pearl jam didn't give a shit about political issues until bushleauger or something equally as contrived as your reasoning. PJ have been political from day one, they are real about their passion - not just doing it to make the bank.
  • LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    I like them, and am shocked they played on that stupid show. That show is as bad as TV gets!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • moeaholic wrote:
    I thought I was the only PJ fan who didn't like that song! It's just a boring song.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    gibbits wrote:
    one thing i never got about greenday is they never gave a fuck for political cause for their entire career
    You're joking right? Go listen to Nimrod. They just chose to be in your face about it for AI.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    omg why would any band play this show... good song though.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The song is a charity single, right? So they have sacrificed their 'punk-rock credibility' to hopefully sell more copies/downloads to raise money for that charity? That in itself is a pretty cool thing to do, it's not like they are promoting their latest album or anything.
  • does this even belong in the pearl jam fourm? Additionally, Green Day performing on AI just solidifies the fact that they are a fucking joke.
    does this even belong in the pearl jam fourm? Additionally, Green Day performing on AI just solidifies the fact that they are a fucking joke.

Raising money for charity is a joke?
  • granparocksgranparocks Posts: 45
    gibbits wrote:

oh, i totally agree. there would be nothing cooler than listening to a bunch of 30 somethings STILL singing about weed and masturbation.

maybe they are just growing up. like the rest of us.
    oh, i totally agree. there would be nothing cooler than listening to a bunch of 30 somethings STILL singing about weed and masturbation.

maybe they are just growing up. like the rest of us.

and someone hits the nail on the head, thank you.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    american idiot blows riot act away.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • B niceB nice Posts: 182
    I can't believe those guys played AI ... lame-o.

pearl jam was on Friends
    and and
    eds old lady wore a pj hoodie to the cubs game like "look at me and my lip job"

Talk About LAME
    life has nothing to do with killing time
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim

b nice loves pearl jam like ed vedder loves america
  • B niceB nice Posts: 182
    american idiot blows riot act away.

your mother

that is just obscene
    life has nothing to do with killing time
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim

b nice loves pearl jam like ed vedder loves america
  • Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    Maybe they didn't give a shit (or appear to) because they were young and Bush wasn't in office and there was no war to protest in their earlier years? Some of you are the most judgmental people in the world when it comes to other people's careers and music. I guess if Green Day are sell outs then so is Bono. That was him I saw on AI a few weeks ago actually working with the American Idol contestants right?

As for last night, I think Joe Perry deserves the ridicule more than Green Day.. playing with Sanjaya?? That's just wrong.