mastodon is the fucking shit my brothers!!!!!

Comments

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    dude, you ^^^^^^ are a dumbass.

at least you are funny
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    lars wrote:
    and lars ulrich is a way better drummer than the mastodon drummer.

this is the most ignorant statement i've read in my life. ever.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • larslars Posts: 524
    He´s a faster, more diverse, and generally speaking a more technical advanced drummer than the guy from mastodon....heck I don´t even know his name so how good can he be. I´ll bet if you walk down the street and ask 100 people there would be more people who know of lars ulrich than mastodons drummer.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    dude, you seriously need to ease of the heroin - life is racing past you and you're missing every fucking peace of important detail

lars wrote:
    ...heck I don´t even know his name so how ....

let me complete your sentece for you:

serious can you take anything coming from me regarding the mastodon drummer???

exactly. now hush and go listen to lars thumping away on his recycle bins while the grown ups discuss more relevant matters.

You can´t handle the truth
    as far as METAL goes the truth goes by the name "leviathan", and i handle it every day brother.

soulsearching and music goes together well

• Mastodon are awesome (met them twice, quite arrogant and up their own ass's actually...) but I do have to say that I agree that Lars (as much as I dislike the ugly little knome) is probably a better drummer. Mastodon still do have alot to learn, granted, they haven't sold out on the making music for money's sake like Metallica (face it who really liked StAnger? I know I thought it was shite...) but they still haven't created such masterpieces as Justice for All or The Black Album... Leviatan is good, Remission is amazing and Blood Mountain is ok but it's hardly diverse is it? Metallica have so many fans from so many walks of life that can't be ignored and they hardly got there by having a shit drummer now did they?!
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Mastodon are awesome (met them twice, quite arrogant and up their own ass's actually...) but I do have to say that I agree that Lars (as much as I dislike the ugly little knome) is probably a better drummer. Mastodon still do have alot to learn, granted, they haven't sold out on the making music for money's sake like Metallica (face it who really liked StAnger? I know I thought it was shite...) but they still haven't created such masterpieces as Justice for All or The Black Album... Leviatan is good, Remission is amazing and Blood Mountain is ok but it's hardly diverse is it? Metallica have so many fans from so many walks of life that can't be ignored and they hardly got there by having a shit drummer now did they?!

leviathan pisses on the entire metallica discography. and don't even think of explaining to me why you think lars out drums Bränn Dailor - cause that is beyond bullshit

• lars wrote:
    He´s a faster, more diverse, and generally speaking a more technical advanced drummer than the guy from mastodon....heck I don´t even know his name so how good can he be. I´ll bet if you walk down the street and ask 100 people there would be more people who know of lars ulrich than mastodons drummer.
    there's actually a drummer from an underground metal band... well they used to be underground... not anymore... jesse smith was his name.... he used to be zao's drummer in their underground years. this guy is actually a much better drummer than lars... he'll eat him up anytime.

here's a link dude.... just listen to the drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIEViyLtAMM
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    PENNDULOUSSSKIN

bump bump bump.

this song is quite heavenly in its entirety

hearts alive is the most massive song ever to pass thru my hearing system

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well Brann (drummer from mastodon) in my opinion really is immensly more talented then Lars. In fact in a recent interview (from just a couple months ago) lars talks about how much respect he has for brann and how good he thinks he is. Coming from an ego maniac like lars that is pretty cool for him to even admit someone else can perform the task of drumming.

To me brann really blows Lars away on creative metal drumming. The jazz aspects he uses in his drumming and his fills really makes mastodon so interesting in my opinion.

As for this Metallica vs Mastodon comparison. As far as popularity goes and selling out concerts Metallica wins out big time. Mastodon are no where near their level. That is why when they played together earlier this summer Mastodon opened for them.

now when compairing albums.. I think they both have very brilliant starts to their career. I know master of puppets and ride the lightening are great albums but i actually like leviathan and blood mountain better. Master of puppets is a better album then both of them but i think that when you compare the two albums Leviathan and blood mountain are both very strong together and i actually like both more then ride the lightening. That is why i'lll take the two mastodon albums but it is just a matter of taste.

And i think without a doubt remission is better then kill em all hands down.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    dude, mastodon's drummer is Brann Dailor

• at risk of putting the cat amongst the pigeons....

Do you really think that if it wasn't for Metallica, Mastodon would even exist?! regardless of who's kicking the bass?! tell you what... tell me in 20 years when Mastodon are selling out Wembley Stadium like Metallica did last Sunday....

Hehehe! ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

this thread is not about how many fans Mastodon can draw to a live performance, much less what metallica can or can't do. this thread is about appreciating and celebrating the massive sound out there which calls itself mastodon.

and btw i couldn't care less about metallica - i seriously think they're one of the most overhyped acts in music ever.ever.

• ...and like I said, Mastodon are AWESOME.
    Have seen them far more times than i've seen Metallica and am more likely to buy tickets for their gigs and reach for their albums than Metallica's..... when I met em, they were rude though, not met Metallica so I wouldn't know!
    I'm just playing devils advocate and continuing a healthy discussion really! No hard feelings :)

• glasshouse wrote:
    and btw i couldn't care less about metallica - i seriously think they're one of the most overhyped acts in music ever.ever.

Incidently I agree.... lol

no hard feelings mate. as you said, friendly discussion.

• glasshouse wrote:
    no hard feelings mate. as you said, friendly discussion.

cool bananas :)

Ok then, Favourite Mastodon song ever?

cool bananas :)

Ok then, Favourite Mastodon song ever?

difficult one. i know this is probably bit of a stereotype answer but hearts alive is just such a massive song. probably that one.

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    lars wrote:
    Mastodon are as big as Warrant were. Metallica are big as Metallica were and still is. Metallica could easily sell out 50000. Mastodon would have trouble selling 10000. Mastodon have alot to learn....and lars ulrich is a way better drummer than the mastodon drummer.

WHAAT?? lars invented a lot of things that people still used but he is very slow.
    Mastodon drummer is waay better like you say in the beloq quote
    lars wrote:

you really are a moron.. just becuase something is opoular it doesn't mean its good??? metal core and indie is hell popular but its shit... just becuase you dont know his name that makes him worse etc?

well maybe not 100 mastodon fans....dude who cares if more people know lars.. the mastodon drummer is still better..
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    glasshouse wrote:
    gut drunk last night and conjured up a super dooper playlist on my 8gig apple nano i-pod.

it went something like this: (took 2 songs from each of these albums)

riot act - pearl jam
    icky thump - white stripes
    devil doll - roy orbison
    nevermind - nirvana
    1962 - 1966 - the beatles
    send away the tigers - manic street preachers
    led zep II - led zep
    beyond - dinosaur jr
    highway61 - bob dylan

next in the cue was mastodon my brothers. but alas, instead of taking two songs from blood mountain i rocked it straight through and spinned leviathan right after. i'm still a bit skull fucked after all that magnificent grade A++ metal. mastodon is the fucking shit my brothers.
    I saw mastodon live at wembley a couple of weeks ago supporting metallica, and they are the fucking shit.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    difficult one. i know this is probably bit of a stereotype answer but hearts alive is just such a massive song. probably that one.

Mine's 'I am Ahab' or (probably predictable) 'March of the Fire Ants'.... fantastic songs, great live too! nice one, you've made me go liston to Leviathan now.... lol

• sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    Metallica have had 25 years to make an impact on music history. Mastodon have had, what, 5 or 6? This entire argument over which band is more important can't die until both bands are finished.

For the record, I love Mastodon. Blood Mountain was my absolute favourite album of 2006 (think about that, and think about what other band whose message board I'm posting on right now put out an album in 2006). Blood Mountain is fucking incredible. So is Leviathan. The first time I heard Hearts Alive, it was cathartic. It still is. Mastodon are the greatest band making metal right now.

But they didn't make Master of Puppets. For this, Metallica holds a slight edge. Master of Puppets is, flat out, one of the greatest records ever made. Granted, just ten years after that their hideous decline was picking up speed. But those first four albums were incredible.

I guess what I'm saying is, Metallica is best all time, Mastodon is best right now. Let's see what Mastodon does in the next ten years; the answers may change. As long as Mastodon don't cut their hair :)

For all we know, they could both be punked by Pig Destroyer. Phantom Limb is fucking sick. Just throwing that out there.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
    I BrisK I wrote:

well maybe not 100 mastodon fans....dude who cares if more people know lars.. the mastodon drummer is still better..
    No he´s not....and lars´s girlfriend is prettier
    Mine's 'I am Ahab' or (probably predictable) 'March of the Fire Ants'.... fantastic songs, great live too! nice one, you've made me go liston to Leviathan now.... lol

i am ahab are very close to being my favorite. thing is, the whole of leviathan is just spectacular......too difficult to choose

and the fact that leviathan in its entirety is based upon Herman Melville's 1851 classic novel "Moby Dick" makes it even more awesome.

apparently blood mountain also revolves round one theme: these four blokes trying to ascent blood mountain overcoming various obstacles and beasts of the forest. their mission is to find the crystal skull atop blood mountain and insert into their souls to achieve the next level of human evolution.

sad thing is they don't make it all the way to the top - they get swiped down by an avalanche and die in the cold.

fucking awesome

• bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    No one outmetals Mastodon in the 2000s. Yeah, Metallica had their days in the 80's but now if you're looking for the purest shit in the absolute shittest form, then Mastodon is the motherfucking deal.