mastodon is the fucking shit my brothers!!!!!

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited August 2007 in Other Music
gut drunk last night and conjured up a super dooper playlist on my 8gig apple nano i-pod.

it went something like this: (took 2 songs from each of these albums)

riot act - pearl jam
icky thump - white stripes
devil doll - roy orbison
nevermind - nirvana
1962 - 1966 - the beatles
send away the tigers - manic street preachers
led zep II - led zep
beyond - dinosaur jr
highway61 - bob dylan

next in the cue was mastodon my brothers. but alas, instead of taking two songs from blood mountain i rocked it straight through and spinned leviathan right after. i'm still a bit skull fucked after all that magnificent grade A++ metal. mastodon is the fucking shit my brothers.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    glasshouse wrote:
    gut drunk last night and conjured up a super dooper playlist on my 8gig apple nano i-pod.

riot act - pearl jam
    devil doll - roy orbison
    nevermind - nirvana
    led zep II - led zep
    beyond - dinosaur jr
    highway61 - bob dylan

next in the cue was mastodon my brothers. but alas, instead of taking two songs from blood mountain i rocked it straight through and spinned leviathan right after. i'm still a bit skull fucked after all that magnificent grade A++ metal. mastodon is the fucking shit my brothers.

I love mastodon. They are fuckin awesome. If you don't have remission you should go get that today.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    intodeep wrote:
    I love mastodon. They are fuckin awesome. If you don't have remission you should go get that today.

i know, i've been looking for remission for some time now - no luck

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    i know, i've been looking for remission for some time now - no luck

I don't know if you have access to itunes or not but it is on there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730
    glasshouse wrote:

riot act - pearl jam
    devil doll - roy orbison
    nevermind - nirvana
    led zep II - led zep
    beyond - dinosaur jr
    highway61 - bob dylan

yeah,fantastic,takes a bit of getting into,but your right! gonna put on hearts alive right now,forget about the world for a dozen minutes.
    brann's drum performance is some of the best drumming this decade. The guy blows my mind.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    Get some ISIS to go along with that. Add Oceanic and Panopticon...Hell get their Dico. Not for all, but its really excellent.
  • lukin321lukin321 Posts: 864
    I have Blood Mountain on the iPod but have yet to check it out. Looks like I have something to listen to on the ride home
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Excellent Mastodon and ISIS talk here...you all are my people. Just listened to In The Absence Of Truth today...
    seems like this important thread needs some more exposure.

any of you who haven't heard mastodon before, but are interested in anything hard rock - give these guys' music a visit. awesome stuff

sometimes i think i like blood mountain more then leviathan. Then i listen to leviathan and i'm like no this is their masterpiece thus far. Then a couple days later i listen to blood mountain again and i start to think well perhaps this could be better....

I really go back and forth with those albums.

hearts alive is a massive song that i love.

I love the break down towards the end on Siberian Divide. I wish they would jam it just a little bit longer. It really makes you want to "headbang"

Their two guitar attack sounds so thick and precise. I love how their rythems are so interesting. Above all though Brann's drumming as i mentioned is top notch. His fills are so interesting. you can tell he enjoys jazz.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    leviathan is where it is at my brother

P E N D U L O U S S K I N
    PENNDULOUSSSKIN

• bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Mastodon is the holy fuck and the true shit you fuckers! If you listen to them, jesus ain't that sweet anymore and they rock hard like fuck!
    well you ^^^ sure as fuck like MASTODON. good on you

• larslars Posts: 524
    mastodon just need a decent frontman and some better tunes...they have potential but they just not the next big metal thing, so get your hands down boy
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    i just needed to look at your name - lars - maybe the worst drummer in metal history.

of course many metallica pussies will dis mastodon because you've all got this inferiority complex. i understand. and don't tell me to pu my hands down - i'll push my arm right through your asshole

go listen to saint anger and after you swallowed your own vomit go spin leviathan and believe my brother.

and never ever, ever tell me to put my hands down. i will end you chief

lars wrote:
    mastodon just need a decent frontman and some better tunes...they have potential but they just not the next big metal thing, so get your hands down boy

It seems anytime a mastodon thread comes up you make sure to pop in and let everyone know how you think they are not good and their vocals are not good.

Which is fine it is your opinion. I Vehemently Disagree.

I like their vocals. I don't want them to change and as for better tunes? Musically they are top notch to me. I might be able to give some on the vocals becasue heck they are not the best but as far as their music goes i could not disagree more.

Thanks and take care try not to kill the thread by turning it into a bitch fest for those who like talking about how much they do enjoy the band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    hey dude^^^^^^, i think leviathan is my favorite spin at the moment - of all spins. that album owns me. heaaarts allliiiiive

glasshouse wrote:
    hey dude^^^^^^, i think leviathan is my favorite spin at the moment - of all spins. that album owns me. heaaarts allliiiiive

For some reason Hearts Alive did not catch with me until i saw them do it live. Ever since then i love it too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Leviathan is awesome! i saw them open for Clutch during the Remission tour... bought the digipack version (w/ the live dvd) at the show. Blood Mountian is good but i prefer Leviathan. Isis is awesome too!! so is:
    5ive
    Pelican
    Milligram
    Scissorfight
    Oxbow
    Cave In
    Converge
    i'll do a lot of very stupid/illegal/immature/irresponsible things in order to see the mastodon live in concert.

bump to the top.

score: 1 million

glasshouse wrote:
    i'll do a lot of very stupid/illegal/immature/irresponsible things in order to see the mastodon live in concert.

i've seen them 4 times in teh past 10 months and they are playing here again on sunday and i dont think i'm gonna make it..... :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i have seen mastodon twice live... they are sensational.. that guy is the best drummer ever... EVERY fill is just insane.. he keeps his awesome speed up in every pace

they are totally awesome!
    I BrisK I wrote:
    i have seen mastodon twice live... they are sensational.. that guy is the best drummer ever... EVERY fill is just insane.. he keeps his awesome speed up in every pace

they are totally awesome!

yes, MASTODON are COOL like that

glasshouse wrote:
    i just needed to look at your name - lars - maybe the worst drummer in metal history.

of course many metallica pussies will dis mastodon because you've all got this inferiority complex. i understand. and don't tell me to pu my hands down - i'll push my arm right through your asshole
    hey, I´m not a big metallica fan but I do know they have meant more in music history than Mastodon ever will....do you sincerely disagree with that?
    lars wrote:
    hey, I´m not a big metallica fan but I do know they have meant more in music history than Mastodon ever will....do you sincerely disagree with that?

i sincerely disagree

sincerely yours

i will not stop bumping this, this band's music is way to MASSIVE

Mastodon are as big as Warrant were. Metallica are big as Metallica were and still is. Metallica could easily sell out 50000. Mastodon would have trouble selling 10000. Mastodon have alot to learn....and lars ulrich is a way better drummer than the mastodon drummer.