Pete Doherty

Comments

• AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Here's something: I really hate Into the Wild and I cannot understand what people seem to like about it. The only good thing about it are the 2 covers. And don't get me wrong, I travelled thousands of miles for this guy and his band. But I won't go slagging on people who like and love it. I won't ask what there is to like about. I don't like it. I forgot about it. Moved on. Listened to Shotters Nation again. Bought tickets to see Babyshambles. Allright.

By the way, the one time I saw Pete live, he was so stoned. He threw everything into the audience including himself (when I catched him and helped him back onstage). But the whole gig had something so rock 'n roll about it. And when they closed with Fuck Forever... my god... it was like... I don't know. I fucking loved it. It's the most rock 'n roll concert I've ever seen.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Angus wrote:
    Here's something: I really hate Into the Wild and I cannot understand what people seem to like about it. The only good thing about it are the 2 covers. And don't get me wrong, I travelled thousands of miles for this guy and his band. But I won't go slagging on people who like and love it. I won't ask what there is to like about. I don't like it. I forgot about it. Moved on. Listened to Shotters Nation again. Bought tickets to see Babyshambles. Allright.

By the way, the one time I saw Pete live, he was so stoned. He threw everything into the audience including himself (when I catched him and helped him back onstage). But the whole gig had something so rock 'n roll about it. And when they closed with Fuck Forever... my god... it was like... I don't know. I fucking loved it. It's the most rock 'n roll concert I've ever seen.

Seeing Fuck Forever live is always a highlight of a show, the place always goes mad. Down at the front of every Babyshambles gig ive been to it is like a Korn show or something, which is pretty mad for an indie band!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Ach forget it... I was trying to move the conversation towards a more artistic slant but lets just leave it as him being a useless junkie that shags stick insects if you want.

This whole thread is class leading entertainment, and this post is fucking great.
    All I know about Doherty was a RS interview where he spent the whole time, whacked on drugs, trying to get whacked on drugs or trying to buy frugs to get wacked on.

I lost interest at that point.

The grotty lifestlye he was leading is no object of envy for me.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • All I'm doing is procrastinating during work.

I've not said anything negative about anyone elses's opinions, and I've not actually said anything negative about pete doherty, I actually said some positive things which no one commented on.

I'm not on any high horse. I've not demanded anyone back up their opinions, I've (tried to) facilitate some honest debate about the artistic benefits of the man, and I've raised the issue of how the mainstream media view music/music fans/celebrity which I find interesting... therefore I'll open up the thread and comment. I'm not going to go to the U2 thread or the Springsteen thread cos it's clear in my mind what those artists are and what my opinions of them are.

The same is not true of pete doherty.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    LMFAO,,,,,,just a great thread, thats all
    "step outta your Christian PJ message pit flanders"
    " a waste of flesh & bone...."

I dont have a problem with Pete in particular, thought Beg,Steal or Borrow was ok. being pummelled by the sight of him on every newspaper & tv does tire, but then there are other more weighty flies in the ointment as I see it.
  • This whole thread is class leading entertainment, and this post is fucking great.
    All I know about Doherty was a RS interview where he spent the whole time, whacked on drugs, trying to get whacked on drugs or trying to buy frugs to get wacked on.

I lost interest at that point.

The grotty lifestlye he was leading is no object of envy for me.

Reminds one of Frank Zappa's comment about rock journalism being all about people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.
    Calling someone a useless junkie has never been in my eyes a positive thing to say about anyone. I know he's a junkie, but who gives a shit? I certainly dont, not when he's writing music that I (emphasis on the I here) enjoy. Hear people whining about his tabloid exploits and wonder how it can upset people so much. Dont read the tabloids if you dont want to read exploitatative journalism!! I dont even make a point of reading about his exploits, i dont care what he gets up to, i just listen to his fucking music!! Simple!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I was trying to move the conversation towards a more artistic slant but lets just leave it as him being a useless junkie that shags stick insects if you want.

Re-read the above. I didn't call him a useless junkie. I suggested that a summarisation of the thread was that he was a useless junkie if no one was interested in discussing his artistic merits. There's a big diffference.

I do read the tabloids, they provide an interesting perspective on what interest people in the UK. I'm a music buff, so I'm interested in why people are interested in Pete Doherty.

I dont like poetry, not even going to pretend i like ANYONE'S poetry. It bores me to tears and i dont mind admitting it.

And scotinamsterdam. C'mon tae fuck man, you insinuated he was a useless junkie and that's that, no need to tap dance round it. I understand the way you said it, but the thought is still there whether you admit it or not lol
  • Personally, I've nothing against interviews with celebrity spaceheads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo

Doherty just needs a bigger hat. :D
    elmer wrote:
    LMFAO,,,,,,just a great thread, thats all
    "step outta your Christian PJ message pit flanders"
    " a waste of flesh & bone...."

I dont have a problem with Pete in particular, thought Beg,Steal or Borrow was ok. being pummelled by the sight of him on every newspaper & tv does tire, but then there are other more weighty flies in the ointment as I see it.

I love Beg Steal and Borrow, he did a performance of that on Jonathan Ross by himself ages ago which was pretty cool and he was actually given good reviews afterwards shockingly enough! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3MU1EShFoNw

Also love Sedative which is on the same EP, when they played this at the last show i was at the singing was amazing, as good as ive heard for any band anywhere. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8Pilv7Dq8
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Libertines were just another totally overrated 'next big thing' hyped up by the utter music drivel rag NME. Then somehow Pete got picked up by the national tabloids as a total fucking loser and his on off relationship with the parasite Kate Moss made him a sort of 'anti' media darling. He should just do a suicide pact with the other current pointless media obession Amy Winehouse.

Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines just show you how bad the current state of new music is when these musically talentless wasters are clung to by the teens as the spokesperson for there generation.
    Soupy wrote:
    Libertines were just another totally overrated 'next big thing' hyped up by the utter music drivel rag NME. Then somehow Pete got picked up by the national tabloids as a total fucking loser and his on off relationship with the parasite Kate Moss made him a sort of 'anti' media darling. He should just do a suicide pact with the other current pointless media obession Amy Winehouse.

Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines just show you how bad the current state of new music is when these musically talentless wasters are clung to by the teens as the spokesperson for there generation.

This is pretty much the most retarded post ever to have been posted on the interweb.
    Soupy wrote:

You are entitled to your opinions but i think that's all rubbish. The way Pete Doherty is in the papers all the time bears no relevance to the fact that he still writes a lot of music that people are genuine fans of, people like myself for example. Couldnt care less about how the media portray him or what he does or doesnt get up to in his spare time.
    Sorry for my reaction, I was a bit drunk.

Anyway, I saw the Arena Pete Doherty documentary yesterday. Funny & sad at the same time.
    I liked the most recent documentary about himm was some really cool footage of backstage at gigs i was actually at. Liked the bit he came out the gig at the end and into the waiting car, which had Radiohead, High and Dry playing full blast.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Soupy wrote:

I take the point on how NME bigs up new bands, but as far as the Libertines were concerned, well, I thought they were pretty decent. I thought they made two quite urgent, exciting records,..I mean for this day and age. Fair enough, he's a druggie, a loser, he's gonna cop it. But that shouldn't detract from what he's done on record, and as far as Babyshambles goes, from what I've heard (and I'm not big into either) Dirty Pretty things are doing better stuff than Pete's mob.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    I like Dirty Pretty Things as well and have seen them play some excellent live shows, still much prefer Pete's work to Carl's though. The Libertines were probably better but some of the songs he's produced with Shambles are amazing, Loyalty Song, Arebours, Man Who Came Top Stay being my favourites probably.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Angus wrote:
    This is pretty much the most retarded post ever to have been posted on the interweb.

The Internets like a box of chocolates....

I stand by everything I said aside from the the suicide pact bit which was meant with a trace of irony.
    stu gee wrote:
    I like Dirty Pretty Things as well and have seen them play some excellent live shows, still much prefer Pete's work to Carl's though. The Libertines were probably better but some of the songs he's produced with Shambles are amazing, Loyalty Song, Arebours, Man Who Came Top Stay being my favourites probably.

Can't argue there, I've not heard enough of either. But I did really like the vibe of the DPT tracks I heard.
    The Dirty Pretty Things album was pretty good i thought, think they have a new one out soon as well. As i said though, i prefer babyshambles sound. Love this song from the DIA album. Arebours - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8Pilv7Dq8
    stu gee wrote:
    The Dirty Pretty Things album was pretty good i thought, think they have a new one out soon as well. As i said though, i prefer babyshambles sound. Love this song from the DIA album. Arebours - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8Pilv7Dq8
    Yeah, it's fine. But, as always, it's what you like, and I really do prefer this sound...
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYde_Hckww
    stu gee wrote:
    I liked the most recent documentary about himm was some really cool footage of backstage at gigs i was actually at. Liked the bit he came out the gig at the end and into the waiting car, which had Radiohead, High and Dry playing full blast.

That's the one.

And I thought Dirty Pretty Things was pretty mediocre. Good music, but nothing exceptional. Barat is a magnificent guy, but I feel the magic happens when Doherty is involved, wether it is with the Libertines or Babyshambles.
    Angus wrote:
    That's the one.

And I thought Dirty Pretty Things was pretty mediocre. Good music, but nothing exceptional. Barat is a magnificent guy, but I feel the magic happens when Doherty is involved, wether it is with the Libertines or Babyshambles.

I think Carl writes some catchy songs but he's not as clever as Doherty in my opinion. I like a lot of his writing for when he was in the Libs, love that song I Get Along, think he wrote that.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    this thread came back up and i was hoping there might be some death involved... alas it was only the death of 'taste'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Yeah sure Pete acts like an idiot sometimes... but that doesn't matter.

I have listened to the Libertines/Babyshambles, and to me, they're both shite. At least I listened to the music before dismissing it :p

I liked one of Dirty Pretty Things songs... most of it is not my style of music though.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    dunkman wrote:
    i couldnt find a 'useless fuckhead' forum so i've posted it in 'other music'

anyone else hoping this guy tries to pretend he's a cloud sometime soon?

here is little something you're going to enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeJFVvwz6A
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    genie wrote:
    here is little something you're going to enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeJFVvwz6A

i cant watch it at work but is it Donughty rhyming the words 'spoon' and 'moon' whilst teenagers wank onto his doorstep?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    i cant watch it at work but is it Donughty rhyming the words 'spoon' and 'moon' whilst teenagers wank onto his doorstep?

Nah. He's rhyming "spoon" with "skag" as usual. ;)