Pete Doherty

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Really liking the new Babyshambles album, had heard a lot of the new songs done acoustic and at live shows but its great to hear them on the new album. Just been looking at some of the songs uploaded on Youtube, think my favourite is Unstookietitled. Theres a recording of it someone has put up, the sound isnt great but i love this song! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGTQDZFGKM
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • eMMI wrote:
    even the thought of him bores me to tears.

I know nothing of him except that he's Kate Moss' on-off-on-off-on-off-it-never-ends-on-off -boyfriend. :rolleyes:

He's more famous for dating her, than his music anyway.....I didn't know he was a musician for a few years.
    "It's all happening"
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I hope he lives forever,that way no one would have to listen to any crap about him being a lost genius or whatever crap people come up with for gimps like him when they die.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    I loved the Libertines before Pete got all hyped/messed up. Still love about every song he ever wrote. I adore the new Babyshambles album. Can't wait to see them live in January.

And as someone a couple posts back said: seeing Peter play Time for Heroes was a highlight of my concert life.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
    Angus wrote:
    I loved the Libertines before Pete got all hyped/messed up. Still love about every song he ever wrote. I adore the new Babyshambles album. Can't wait to see them live in January.

And as someone a couple posts back said: seeing Peter play Time for Heroes was a highlight of my concert life.

Up the Bracket is one of my favourite British albums of all time. The follow up was great as well. I thought Down in Albion was a good album, with songs like Loyalty song and Arebours being outstanding but didnt think on the whole that the Babyshambles first album was as good as either of the Libertines, even though i still loved it.

The new stuff is really good i think and i think that Mik coming in on guitar has improved them a lot, the last time i saw Babyshambles they put on one of the best shows ive ever seen in all my time of going to gigs. i dont care if people think Pete Doherty is a gimp. i actually think he's a bit of a prick myself with his behaviour, still love his music though, and loved it before i even knew who he was.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    You know I cherish you, my love!
    Angus wrote:
    You know I cherish you, my love!

Pearl Jam are my favourite band by quite a bit but i enjoy Pete Doherty's lyrics as much as any songwriter ive heard.

"There are fewer more distressing sights than that
    Of an.... Englishman in a baseball cap
    Yeah we'll die in the class we were born
    That's a class of our own my love
    A class of our own my love"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:
    i couldnt find a 'useless fuckhead' forum so i've posted it in 'other music'

anyone else hoping this guy tries to pretend he's a cloud sometime soon?

i like pete doherty.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    stu gee wrote:
    Pearl Jam are my favourite band by quite a bit but i enjoy Pete Doherty's lyrics as much as any songwriter ive heard.

Lately I've been starting to doubt if PJ really is my favourite band. Or if I'm just going through a phase where I'm just not interested in them anymore. I just know that 2 people (Pete Doherty & Conor Oberst) are currently pushing very hard for my number one spot of favourite artist.

Just bought tickets for 2 Babyshambles gigs in January (Lille & Brussels). Looking to add a 3rd one. :)
    Angus wrote:
    Lately I've been starting to doubt if PJ really is my favourite band. Or if I'm just going through a phase where I'm just not interested in them anymore. I just know that 2 people (Pete Doherty & Conor Oberst) are currently pushing very hard for my number one spot of favourite artist.

Just bought tickets for 2 Babyshambles gigs in January (Lille & Brussels). Looking to add a 3rd one. :)

The first time i saw Babyshambles they were ok, but Pat the guitarist was fucked and walked off after 5 songs and the gig obviously deteriorated. The second time they were a lot better but i was so hungover after drinking for about a week straight that i couldnt get right into it. The third time, and this was when Mik had joined as guitarist, they were amazing, one of the best shows ive ever seen. Even the Daily Record tabloid newspaper reviewed the performance as being excellent, which was unheard of up untill then. Im hoping he sorts himself out completely and continues for a long while to come, not holding my breath though.
  • cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    He's one of those UK media darlings that doesn 't translate well to North America. The only things he's known for over here is being that Ugly guy who fucks Kate Moss and does alot of coke.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    cuyler41 wrote:
    He's one of those UK media darlings that doesn 't translate well to North America. The only things he's known for over here is being that Ugly guy who fucks Kate Moss and does alot of coke.
    Ha Ha!
    Thats pretty much all he's famous for here....:)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • There was a lot of furore around the libertines when it first came out. I listened, didn't think much about it and assumed there was something I was missing that other people seemed to be latching onto. I've kind of assumed everything since would have the same effect on me and I've not heard much. It's about the same level of chance I give to any new music that's been hyped.

The UK press seems to have decided that Pete Doherty should take up at least a page of each newspaper everyday, so I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing/reading/hearing about him. He's got to the stage where no matter how good he sounds he can't live up to the hype that the media has thrown on him. The press seem to be pre-empting his demise cos theyw ant another Keith Moon or Sid Vicious but I'm afraid it doesn't really work like that. The whole thing smells a bit prefabricated in it's rock n'roll ness. Maybe I'm just getting to old to be impressed by it any more.

I'm not really a lyrically driven listener, but if that's Exhibit A of Doherty Genius, then the case is closed for me. I obviously do miss what other people rave about. Maybe I should take up a career as a lyricist:

"I don't like Neds
    Class is in our heads
    It'll be the same on our death beds"

I did however see this picture a few months back:

http://images.vpro.nl/images/28178511+s(500)

I thought there was an energy there that I've not seen for a long while, especially not in music coming out of the UK.
    There was a lot of furore around the libertines when it first came out. I listened, didn't think much about it and assumed there was something I was missing that other people seemed to be latching onto. I've kind of assumed everything since would have the same effect on me and I've not heard much. It's about the same level of chance I give to any new music that's been hyped.

The UK press seems to have decided that Pete Doherty should take up at least a page of each newspaper everyday, so I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing/reading/hearing about him. He's got to the stage where no matter how good he sounds he can't live up to the hype that the media has thrown on him. The press seem to be pre-empting his demise cos theyw ant another Keith Moon or Sid Vicious but I'm afraid it doesn't really work like that. The whole thing smells a bit prefabricated in it's rock n'roll ness. Maybe I'm just getting to old to be impressed by it any more.

I'm not really a lyrically driven listener, but if that's Exhibit A of Doherty Genius, then the case is closed for me. I obviously do miss what other people rave about. Maybe I should take up a career as a lyricist:

"I don't like Neds
    Class is in our heads
    It'll be the same on our death beds"

I did however see this picture a few months back:

http://images.vpro.nl/images/28178511+s(500)

I thought there was an energy there that I've not seen for a long while, especially not in music coming out of the UK.

Its not an example of Doherty's genius, its an example of a lyric i like.
  • So convince me! Where are these great poetic lyrics people rave about?
    So convince me! Where are these great poetic lyrics people rave about?

I dont feel i need to convince anyone of anything surrounding anyone's lyrics. Why are any lyrics great? Who is anyone to tell me who's lyrics or what lyrics i shouldnt enjoy?
  • Ach forget it... I was trying to move the conversation towards a more artistic slant but lets just leave it as him being a useless junkie that shags stick insects if you want.
    Ach forget it... I was trying to move the conversation towards a more artistic slant but lets just leave it as him being a useless junkie that shags stick insects if you want.

Why do you like Eddie Vedder's lyrics, or any other lyricists lyrics that you do?

But fair enough. Doesnt stop me enjoying his music, or any other drug using musician who shags whoever they want. If i like it ill listen. I listened to and loved the Libertines before i could tell you who Pete Doherty was.

I find people's not understanding of others enjoying of Pete Doherty's music strange. There are plenty other musicians who are worshipped like gods who you could pick on. People shouldnt let what they read in the tabloids angry up their blood so much.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Why do you like Eddie Vedder's lyrics, or any other lyricists lyrics that you do?

I don't. I'm not a lyric person. I'm drawn by the music, and then the lyrics come second, there's bits and pieces I hear and I quite like, but ultimately it's the energy and emotion represented in the music, be that a guitar crunch a drum beat or a bass twang or an emotion put over in someone’s voice. They say Aretha Franklin could sing the phone book and make it sound good. That's kind of where I stand on lyrics.

I'm not getting any of those things from Babyshambles, The Libertines or Pete Doherty and I opened the thread hoping someone could shed some light on it. You clearly don't want to or can't. So, Pete Doherty remains of interest to me purely on the tabloids perspective of what a "Rock Star" is these days, which appears to me to be an unconvincing plastic version of Keith Richards for the 21st century.

Keith moon (and other's like him) dealt with phenomenal interest in his phenomenal talent by creating his own media persona to hide from the attention and suffered from it in later life, the pigeonhole he created for himself ultimately killed him.

Through our frustration of "don't make em like the used to" we seem to let the media design a pigeonhole for Pete Doherty to sit in by pretending there's some level of greatness in Pete Doherty cos he shoots up and writes an average pop song. Create the attention and the talent will follow?

In him, Kate Moss, Paris Hilton and the whole celebrity culture, I see people that are so desperate for fame that they overlook what they should be famous for in the first place.
  • I don't. I'm not a lyric person. I'm drawn by the music, and then the lyrics come second, there's bits and pieces I hear and I quite like, but ultimately it's the energy and emotion represented in the music, be that a guitar crunch a drum beat or a bass twang or an emotion put over in someone’s voice. They say Aretha Franklin could sing the phone book and make it sound good. That's kind of where I stand on lyrics.

I'm not getting any of those things from Babyshambles, The Libertines or Pete Doherty and I opened the thread hoping someone could shed some light on it. You clearly don't want to or can't. So, Pete Doherty remains of interest to me purely on the tabloids perspective of what a "Rock Star" is these days, which appears to me to be an unconvincing plastic version of Keith Richards for the 21st century.

Keith moon (and other's like him) dealt with phenomenal interest in his phenomenal talent by creating his own media persona to hide from the attention and suffered from it in later life, the pigeonhole he created for himself ultimately killed him.

Through our frustration of "don't make em like the used to" we seem to let the media design a pigeonhole for Pete Doherty to sit in by pretending there's some level of greatness in Pete Doherty cos he shoots up and writes an average pop song. Create the attention and the talent will follow?

In him, Kate Moss, Paris Hilton and the whole celebrity culture, I see people that are so desperate for fame that they overlook what they should be famous for in the first place.

Great post. Last night I witnessed a huge showcase of singer-songwriters with more talent in their little fingers than Doherty in his whole drug-addled body. Why won't they make it? Because of the growing pay-to-play culture in the UK gigging scene. If your face fits, you'll get the promoters and the backing to do gigs (think of all those hopeless Barfly touring bands), whereas a lot of local artists get excluded because they haven't the £££ behind them. They're not so readily assimilated into the marketplace. Pete Doherty might be one of the best lyricists among the NME set, but the NME set is no longer about musical quality. It's about superficiality.
    I don't. I'm not a lyric person. I'm drawn by the music, and then the lyrics come second, there's bits and pieces I hear and I quite like, but ultimately it's the energy and emotion represented in the music, be that a guitar crunch a drum beat or a bass twang or an emotion put over in someone’s voice. They say Aretha Franklin could sing the phone book and make it sound good. That's kind of where I stand on lyrics.

Well as i said before, i loved the libertines before i knew who he was, what drugs he took or who he was shagging. You say you're not getting these things from babyshambles, the libertines or pete doherty. Who on earth said you SHOULD be getting anything from them? Im sure you like lots of musicians that i wouldnt like and vice versa, same with the way lots of people like different bands or things, etc. etc. Crazy as it seems, people have different tastes and opinions. I keep it simple. I like them, because i like their sound, and i like the contents of their lyrics. There is no mathematical equation to it, i just like it, simple.

If you dont like something you dont always have to make someone who does like it explain why its good. Just accept you dont like it and move on. I see there's a very popular thread about U2 down there, and another about Bruce Springsteen. Im not a fan of Bruce Springsteen, and I hate U2 with a passion but im not going to ask an avid fan to map out why they are apparently so good. In fact, the less i like something, the less time i usally spend talking about it. That's just me though.
    Lol, wondered how long it would be before finsbury park carrots burst in with their unhealthy obsession of letting people know they dislike pete doherty. Where do you get the energy, and how can you be bothered?!
  • stu gee wrote:
    Lol, wondered how long it would be before finsbury park carrots burst in with their unhealthy obsession of letting people know they dislike pete doherty. Where do you get the energy, and how can you be bothered?!

On the contrary, I think criticising Pete Doherty is very healthy. I like the "they" in your sentence, though. It inadvertently acknowledges the plurality of opinions against Sir Peter, Wankstayne of Albion.
    On the contrary, I think criticising Pete Doherty is very healthy. I like the "they" in your sentence, though. It inadvertently acknowledges the plurality of opinions against Sir Peter, Wankstayne of Albion.

Its because im not sure if you are female or male, and its still up for question.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Its because im not sure if you are female or male, and its still up for question.

Not as much as the question of why any grown man would like Pete Doherty. :D
    Not as much as the question of why any grown man would like Pete Doherty. :D

Just keep on hating, and joking. Ill keep on listening and enjoying, regardless of 'witty' remarks made by names on a forum. :)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    His reputation as a drug addict seems to come before his reuputation as a song writer, unforunately. I never even realised that he was a singer in a band until a few months ago, despite the fact that he's plastered all over the tabloids...

Anyway, not a fan of his music and he needs to get his life together.
    Ill say once again, many, many people, myself included, were massive fans of his music LONG before he became a tabloid journalist's wet dream.
    stu gee wrote:
    Ill say once again, many, many people, myself included, were massive fans of his music LONG before he became a tabloid journalist's wet dream.

You can include me as well. And I'll never go in discussion with some people who ask "explain me what's good about it?". Go have a listen. If you don't like it, well then, good for you, don't bother. If you like it, nice. But I don't feel the need to explain to anyone what it is that I like so much about almost any song the guy has ever written. Fuck all the Pete Doherty haters, I really don't give a fuck about them.
    Angus wrote:
    You can include me as well. And I'll never go in discussion with some people who ask "explain me what's good about it?". Go have a listen. If you don't like it, well then, good for you, don't bother. If you like it, nice. But I don't feel the need to explain to anyone what it is that I like so much about almost any song the guy has ever written. Fuck all the Pete Doherty haters, I really don't give a fuck about them.

I wouldnt go as far as to say fuck all the pete doherty haters, they dont really bother me and i dont wish any particular harm against them. I just dont like people who seem to enjoy riding on their high horse and putting down other people's music tastes or opinions, or who think that someone is wrong because of what they listen to. I couldnt be bothered questioning other people's music tastes or taking up such an interest in musicans that i DONT like that it must surely get in the way of my enjoying music and musicians that i do like.

You wont see me in a U2 thread saying to a Bono arse rider saying, come on, enlighten me, what is so good about this prick and his music? How is his music better than Joe Bloggs', what do his lyrics mean to you, really, come on, explain yourself!! lol