Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187

reesdog said:

You guys heard any Kyuss? Homme's band before QOTSA. So good, quite a lot different than QOTSA, but just as good I'd say..

It's a good band. But honestly, they never quite worked for me. I tired several times to get into them but I guess for me, QOTSA is that much better.
    Ditto. I was just playing a few tracks the other day and it didn't quite hit the sweet spot for me musically. I also feel that way about some of QOTSA older albums before Like Clockwork. There's some really good tracks and then kinda mediocre. Just hoping the next album expands off the formula they used for Clockwork because that thing is amazing as a whole.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    tbergs said:

reesdog said:

You guys heard any Kyuss? Homme's band before QOTSA. So good, quite a lot different than QOTSA, but just as good I'd say..

It's a good band. But honestly, they never quite worked for me. I tired several times to get into them but I guess for me, QOTSA is that much better.
    Ditto. I was just playing a few tracks the other day and it didn't quite hit the sweet spot for me musically. I also feel that way about some of QOTSA older albums before Like Clockwork. There's some really good tracks and then kinda mediocre. Just hoping the next album expands off the formula they used for Clockwork because that thing is amazing as a whole.
    Agreed. I really like Rated R and Songs For The Deaf, but a lot of QOTSA is either hit or miss for me too. I think Clockwork is a good album, but I also enjoy Homme's work with Them Crooked Vultures and Iggy Pop as much as his QOTSA stuff. Kyuss is seldom on my radar.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456

reesdog said:

I feel the exact same way. Kyuss sounded like a good idea to me, but I just couldn't get into it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362

From Facebook
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Sweet logo!
    Oooooooo, cryptic! What does 25 mean?? April 25th?? They haven't been a band for 25 years, so it's not that. Perhaps their new album is a massive double album that has 25 full songs on it - That would be my wish, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    mfc2006 said:

From Facebook

Love that "Q".
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited April 2017
    Troy Van Leeuwen has said that the new album will be "simpler" than ...Like Clockwork. Hmmm. I wonder what that means to him? Musically? In terms of the visual art or the whole package or whatever? Because ... Like Clockwork was lush in a a few different ways. If he means the music itself (which would be my first assumption), I still wonder what he means exactly. The lushness of the previous album is probably what I love about it, so my immediate reaction when I read that was to feel a little disappointed, but then I remembered that the word simple is pretty subjective.
    Dammit, this is going to be a hard album to wait for. Even worse than when PJ announces one, because my expectations are way higher with QOTSA now (sad but true).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    PJ_Soul said:

Troy Van Leeuwen has said that the new album will be "simpler" than ...Like Clockwork. Hmmm. I wonder what that means to him? Musically? In terms of the visual art or the whole package or whatever? Because ... Like Clockwork was lush in a a few different ways. If he means the music itself (which would be my first assumption), I still wonder what he means exactly. The lushness of the previous album is probably what I love about it, so my immediate reaction when I read that was to feel a little disappointed, but then I remembered that the word simple is pretty subjective.
    Dammit, this is going to be a hard album to wait for. Even worse than when PJ announces one, because my expectations are way higher with QOTSA now (sad but true).

I'd love a leaner sound - even though I think Clockwork is still THE best album release of the past 5 years.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Not sure I would describe Like Clockwork as lush or complex. If the new one is simpler from a musical standpoint it's gotta be a pretty bare bones affair.
    I'm really looking forward to a QOTSA album no matter what it sounds like! Think it's interesting the whole "6 degrees of separation" thing. Mark Lanegan and Dave Grohl (Seattle scene guys) highly involved with QOTSA. Would love to see Josh Homme involved more with PJ or Foo Fighters, etc.
    DewieCox said:

Not sure I would describe Like Clockwork as lush or complex. If the new one is simpler from a musical standpoint it's gotta be a pretty bare bones affair.

Really? I never said complex, but I feel like it is super duper lush in its sound and presentation.
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    mfc2006 said:

From Facebook

Ohhhh this is gonna be good. Didn't get into them until well after Like Clockwork so hopefully a tour close to me is a possibility. How big of venues do they play at anyway?
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,621
    FrankY59 said:

mfc2006 said:

From Facebook

Ohhhh this is gonna be good. Didn't get into them until well after Like Clockwork so hopefully a tour close to me is a possibility. How big of venues do they play at anyway?
    Not including a festival, the last 2 times I saw them was in a 1000 seat theater on the Lullabies tour and a 5500 seat amphitheater on the Like Clockwork tour. Both in Pittsburgh.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    mfc2006 said:

From Facebook

edited April 2017
    Now they've just announced an Aussie and NZ tour in July. I'm going to assume that means the album will be out by July!!!! :clap:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Damn, was hoping for a US summer tour. tick tock
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul said:

reesdog said:

I feel the exact same way. Kyuss sounded like a good idea to me, but I just couldn't get into it.
    You guys are missing out, Kyuss are awesome, much more of a jam band than QOTSA. Welcome to Sky Valley, ...And The Circus Leaves Town and especially Blues For The Red Sun are the business, I play them all the time. Must be played on vinyl, loudly and on decent gear to get the full experience..

Best tracks: Phototropic, El Rodeo, Demon Cleaner, Spaceship Landing, 50 Million Year Trip and Mondo Generator..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    PJ_Soul said:

Now they've just announced an Aussie and NZ tour in July. I'm going to assume that means the album will be out by July!!!! :clap:

I will be going to this on the NZ leg, and they better play Mexicola this time, fuck that songs good! Beats anything off ...Like Clockwork. Last time they played here with Nine Inch Nails was the shit!

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    edited April 2017
    I loved the LA episode of Sonic Highways.

A good portion of it is dedicated to the old generator parties Kyuss had out in the desert, and also Rancho De la Luna where they do a lot of recording. I think Iggy went out & lived there w/ JH for the recording process of PPD. Arctic Monkeys also have traveled out there to record.

I love that stuff.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on

I loved the LA episode of Sonic Highways.

A good portion of it is dedicated to the old generator parties Kyuss had out in the desert, and also Rancho De la Luna where they do a lot of recording. I think Iggy went out & lived there w/ JH for the recording process of PPD. Arctic Monkeys also have traveled out there to record.

I love that stuff.

Yep, saw that episode too, was really good, looks like they have a lot of fun out there in the desert. Whenever I get back to the states I plan on visiting out there..

On a side note all of Sonic Highways was good (the DVD, not the album), best thing Dave Grohls done in years..

Now they've just announced an Aussie and NZ tour in the summer. I'm going to assume that means the album will be out by July!!!! :clap:
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

reesdog said:

You guys are missing out, Kyuss are awesome, much more of a jam band than QOTSA. Welcome to Sky Valley, ...And The Circus Leaves Town and especially Blues For The Red Sun are the business, I play them all the time. Must be played on vinyl, loudly and on decent gear to get the full experience..

Best tracks: Phototropic, El Rodeo, Demon Cleaner, Spaceship Landing, 50 Million Year Trip and Mondo Generator..
    Not sure I am missing out, since I have given their whole catalogue a very good chance. It just doesn't ry do it for me. I don't dislike it - it's just okay. But yeah, if I could choose between loving a band and not loving a band, I'd choose loving it every time, lol. Unfortunately it's not a choice. ;)
    edited April 2017
    Going back to the Kyuss thing, it's all very subjective. I actually enjoy listening to John Garcia in Hermano and Vista Chino, and his recent solo stuff is good too. And I absolutely love Brant Bjork and any-thong (Kyuss joke) by QOTSA.

For some reason, Kyuss is still not that interesting to me. Even Josh Homme's guitar sound back then is a bit too generic IMO. On paper, "Blues for the Red Sun" (John Garcia, Josh Homme, Nick Oliveri, Brant Bjork, Chris Goss) should be like one of the greatest albums of all time, but still never clicked for me.
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on

Going back to the Kyuss thing, it's all very subjective. I actually enjoy listening to John Garcia in Hermano and Vista Chino, and his recent solo stuff is good too. And I absolutely love Brant Bjork and any-thong (Kyuss joke) by QOTSA.

For some reason, Kyuss is still not that interesting to me. Even Josh Homme's guitar sound back then is a bit too generic IMO. On paper, "Blues for the Red Sun" (John Garcia, Josh Homme, Nick Oliveri, Brant Bjork, Chris Goss) should be like one of the greatest albums of all time, but still never clicked for me.

Fair enough, their sound is not for everyone is it..

A side note: just checked out Fatso Jetson. GREAT band! OMG, how did I miss these guys? Really enjoying listening to Cruel & Delicious, Archaic Volumes and Idle Hands. Reminds of the best of all the Palm Desert bands.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    according to some articles the album is done :smiley:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

according to some articles the album is done :smiley:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/04/queens-of-the-stone-ages-new-album-is-finished-and-mixed/

Looks like they finished mixing it
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    ^^^YES!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com