Options

The tea party

SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
edited August 2007 in Other Music
You know for a three piece, this is one of the most talented bands I have ever heard.

They experiment with alot of different instruments and you can tell that they put alot of thought into their songs, just look at Transmission

To bad they broke up though

Have anyone heard of them, and if so do you know any other bands that sounds similar?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    The Editors remind me a lot of the Tea Party.

I used to love them when I was younger. They had a great live show. "The River" was my favorite song.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    I knew a lot of Canadians in college... so yes, yes I have heard of them. Not sure that I can recommend any other bands as it's been a while.

...this is a pointless post for me.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I like The Tea Party. I think I've got Tangents in the cd collection somewhere. Not sure I could recommend anybody similar though. I just enjoy them for their uniqueness. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Tek Money wrote:
    The Editors remind me a lot of the Tea Party.

I used to love them when I was younger. They had a great live show. "The River" was my favorite song.
    editors? don't hear it, only they both have deep voices.

was a big tea party fan, everything upto seven circles, that was pretty limp-wristed. BIG BIG FAN of edges of twilight, triptych, interzone mantra & transmission. great band.

too bad jeff martins solo album didn't quite cut it
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    loved them up to Triptyct (sp?) but then imo they all thought they were major rock stars and Jeff was coked up all the time. a true shame
  • Options
    I'd put Tea Party's first three records up against any bands first three records. Brilliant musicians, brilliant songwriters.
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Really, really great band.

The live version of Psychopomp in the Illuminations DVD gives me goosebumps.
    Edges of twilight and Transmission are amazing, and should be in all the lists of best albums of the 90s...

Too bad they broke up and that Jeff Martin's solo CD sucks... :(
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    They have a new song out. It's a bit bland for me. Oh well.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    They have a new song out. It's a bit bland for me. Oh well.

yeah, it feels like an Ocean At The End leftover. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    they are touring. on the back of ONE SONG. The Black River tour. so odd. they say they are playing "some new music" on this tour. Then why not release it so the crowd will know what they are listening to at the shows instead of recording it so they can post it on youtube during the encore?

on the fence about going to this one. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    edited December 2018
    I went to "Other Music" and thought I had accidentally clicked on "A Moving Train",  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    they are touring. on the back of ONE SONG. The Black River tour. so odd. they say they are playing "some new music" on this tour. Then why not release it so the crowd will know what they are listening to at the shows instead of recording it so they can post it on youtube during the encore?

on the fence about going to this one. 
    That is really weird. And it's not even a good song. But I'm sure the shows will still be awesome. I'm probably going to try and get tix. I enjoyed the last one so much, I think I said to myself at the time that I'd never miss them again when they come to town.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    their performances are always on point, I guess I'm just getting tired of JM's stage banter. He acts like he's Jesus and everyone is there to revel in his mastery. And I have seen them in concert enough and have all his live albums to know it's ultra-rehearsed from a canned script. he says the same thing every damn show. 

this is obviously a bit of a sticking point for me, as this was a mild complaint for the Headstones as well. Hugh says the same thing to every crowd. I know, because I'm IN every crowd. LOL

I guess most artists do that, I guess it just takes away from the authenticity and in-the-moment-ness of it for me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2018
    their performances are always on point, I guess I'm just getting tired of JM's stage banter. He acts like he's Jesus and everyone is there to revel in his mastery. And I have seen them in concert enough and have all his live albums to know it's ultra-rehearsed from a canned script. he says the same thing every damn show. 

this is obviously a bit of a sticking point for me, as this was a mild complaint for the Headstones as well. Hugh says the same thing to every crowd. I know, because I'm IN every crowd. LOL

I guess most artists do that, I guess it just takes away from the authenticity and in-the-moment-ness of it for me. 
    Yeah, I figure one just has to stop going to multiple shows if this is getting annoying for them. I absolutely understand what's off-putting about it; there are few things I hate more than insincerity. So I guess I think ignorance is bliss when it comes to this one, lol. If you just see one show a tour and lay off the live material with artists who do this, you won't know the difference. =)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I figure one just has to stop going to multiple shows if this is getting annoying for them. I absolutely understand what's off-putting about it; there are few things I hate more than insincerity. So I guess I think ignorance is bliss when it comes to this one, lol. If you just see one show a tour and lay off the live material with artists who do this, you won't know the difference. =)
    the insincerety is not enough for me to stay away from the HS, and probably not enough with TP either, but it's the way he talks to the crowd, as I said, some sort of a shaman who we have all come to bask in his wisdom. I liked it in the 90's when there was no internet and I'd go to one show and I was likely high out of my mind, but now? Meh. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

the insincerety is not enough for me to stay away from the HS, and probably not enough with TP either, but it's the way he talks to the crowd, as I said, some sort of a shaman who we have all come to bask in his wisdom. I liked it in the 90's when there was no internet and I'd go to one show and I was likely high out of my mind, but now? Meh. 
    I actually didn't get any of that the one time I saw the Tea Party. He did talk a fair bit, but it wasn't like you're describing at all. It was just charming and entertaining, and actually quite apt. Not at all obnoxious like you're saying.
  • Options
    The new tour dates are supposed to be in support of an EP which is getting released early next year. The few shows at the end of the year, I'd be surprised if there was anything new other than the single (or 2 if another gets released before then). The stage banter being the same, stories introducing the songs, and not varying the set list are why I'll only go to one show per tour but I do try to hit every tour because it's a great show. Also, while it's not the best song they've put out, I do dig the new single.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
    The new tour dates are supposed to be in support of an EP which is getting released early next year. The few shows at the end of the year, I'd be surprised if there was anything new other than the single (or 2 if another gets released before then). The stage banter being the same, stories introducing the songs, and not varying the set list are why I'll only go to one show per tour but I do try to hit every tour because it's a great show. Also, while it's not the best song they've put out, I do dig the new single.
    Jeff Burrows was less that convincing on the EP being released that early. Unless there was something I missed?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    Presales up.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Jeff Burrows was less that convincing on the EP being released that early. Unless there was something I missed?
    Just going on that interview with JM from the end of October. Other than a couple shows, the start of the heavy touring is March 16... The EP should definitely be out by then, no? Got my Buffalo tix this morning
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
    Just going on that interview with JM from the end of October. Other than a couple shows, the start of the heavy touring is March 16... The EP should definitely be out by then, no? Got my Buffalo tix this morning
    I'm hoping. that's what would make sense. but these tours take a while to organize. I saw JB say something on social media that he was unsure what a new release would take, whether it was just the single, an EP, but probably not a full record. And he didn't seem to know when it would be released. i'd have to find that post again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    got my floor tix for Winnipeg this morning! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    VIP packages. $125. no soundcheck. just meet and greet with some signed stuff and tote bags. not sure about that. I like the soundcheck part of it. don't care so much about a tote bag. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2018
    VIP packages. $125. no soundcheck. just meet and greet with some signed stuff and tote bags. not sure about that. I like the soundcheck part of it. don't care so much about a tote bag. 
    Tote bags are only good for those who actually walk around with a bag normally... You know, to keep the tote bag in. I always have a tote bag with me, rolled up in my purse, and it comes in handy ALL the time. Seriously, men really need to get on the purse train - they really are useful, and suddenly tote bags would be a lot more appealing. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Tote bags are only good for those who actually walk around with a bag normally... You know, to keep the tote bag in. I always have a tote bag with me, rolled up in my purse, and it comes in handy ALL the time. Seriously, men really need to get on the purse train - they really are useful, and suddenly tote bags would be a lot more appealing. :lol:
    I have a murse. My messenger bag. no need for no tote. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    But the tote is for when you end up with stuff that won't fit in the messenger bag of course. Like if you stop for groceries or something.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    But the tote is for when you end up with stuff that won't fit in the messenger bag of course. Like if you stop for groceries or something.
    nope. don't need one. have two pearl jam ones and have never been used. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    nope. don't need one. have two pearl jam ones and have never been used. 
    I am not seriously trying to convince you to get a tote bag man, lol. I'm just kidding. ;)
  • Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388

I got tickets for the Calgary show.  I haven't seen these guys since 1997 - once at Edgefest and then at Mac Hall a few months later.  I listened to Splendor Solis last night to help make up my mind - I forgot how formative that music was in my youth!

I will also pass on the tote bag though.

• Options
    toolie said:

I got tickets for the Calgary show.  I haven't seen these guys since 1997 - once at Edgefest and then at Mac Hall a few months later.  I listened to Splendor Solis last night to help make up my mind - I forgot how formative that music was in my youth!

I will also pass on the tote bag though.

you might need it to hold your other tote bags though. you never know how many baguettes you are going to spontaneously buy on the way home. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com