Lollapalooza '08

Comments

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    sgossard3 wrote:
    phew... wasnt sure how to interpret all those :eek:

itd be great to see him and mike together live! if hes willing to make an appearance with chris cornell live then im sure hed do the same for PJ (or anyone else willing to give him a hot meal :D)
    that sh*t aint right.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    i KNEW IT!!!! ure lucky i love you. I was going to add in my last post "i dont want to hear about toledo 04!!!" THANKS.

I was at that show, but was so bombed I can barely remember anything. You didn't miss much though, it was all Neil Young's show when they were onstage. Peter just kind of stood there strumming. I'd have killed to have him bust out the talkbox and hear Ed close the show by screaming "do you... DO... feel like I DO?!"
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Yeah, I saw him there. He sat in front of the stage, so no one but the kids up front could really see him. He played about 4-5 songs including Humming Bird and Heavy Metal Drummer (which he tried unsuccessfully to change the lyrics to make more kid friendly).

He was also joined by a member of Uncle Tupelo (obv. not Jay Farrar) and they played an old Uncle Tupelo song I wasn't familiar with.

Pretty cool overall since Jeff is such a charismatic guy.

I was curious about this, so I checked viachicago.org. Apparently the guest was Bill Belzer, who I believe was an interim drummer for a few months between Mike and Ken. The song they played was "New Madrid" from Anodyne. Sounds like a nice little appearance.

I watched the first 2/3 or so of Wilco's performance online. The nudie suits were quite impressive.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    hardboiled wrote:
    I was at that show, but was so bombed I can barely remember anything. You didn't miss much though, it was all Neil Young's show when they were onstage. Peter just kind of stood there strumming. I'd have killed to have him bust out the talkbox and hear Ed close the show by screaming "do you... DO... feel like I DO?!"
    yes i heard. :mad: (THANKS ADAM)

and ohhhhhhhhhh BOY. I wouldnt know what to do with myself if the talk boxxx & Ed singing that took place!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,855
    I wasn't at Lolla but I saw Rage in 2000 and I think their crowds are a fucking joke. I know I probably sound like a square but it's just way to violent down there. For every guy like me in the crowd (watching Morello's every move, appreciating Zack's flow), there's twenty guys who are just there to bash each other's brains in. I understand that it's not the type of music that you just stand their and listen to but some of those pits are fucking ridiculous.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I wasn't at Lolla but I saw Rage in 2000 and I think their crowds are a fucking joke. I know I probably sound like a square but it's just way to violent down there. For every guy like me in the crowd (watching Morello's every move, appreciating Zack's flow), there's twenty guys who are just there to bash each other's brains in. I understand that it's not the type of music that you just stand their and listen to but some of those pits are fucking ridiculous.
    eh i was expecting it... actually really liked it... im big enough to defend myself though... i will agree that there were alot of meathead guitar hero frat boys there that were just looking to blow of some steam... i was glad to see everyone had eachothers back when someone went down though so no one got trampled... and good about letting people through when people were passed out or having a bad trip
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,855
    sgossard3 wrote:
    eh i was expecting it... actually really liked it... im big enough to defend myself though... i will agree that there were alot of meathead guitar hero frat boys there that were just looking to blow of some steam... i was glad to see everyone had eachothers back when someone went down though so no one got trampled... and good about letting people through when people were passed out or having a bad trip

Again I wasn't at Lolla, but at the show I saw in 2000, I wasn't on the floor so I wasn't a part of the craziness. I just observed it a bit. I dunno, I think it discredits the band a bit. the musicianship is so top-notch that I felt that those people were missing out. Moshing so recklessly like that just seems like more of a thing for mindless Limp Bizkit fans.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Again I wasn't at Lolla, but at the show I saw in 2000, I wasn't on the floor so I wasn't a part of the craziness. I just observed it a bit. I dunno, I think it discredits the band a bit. the musicianship is so top-notch that I felt that those people were missing out. Moshing so recklessly like that just seems like more of a thing for mindless Limp Bizkit fans.
    agreed... it was nice (though a waste of time) to see zach stop between songs and have everyone take a few steps back and warn people if it kept up as violently that they would cut the show short... as much as everyone (excluding fans) thinks rage is some mindless, radical band they really do have everyones best interest at heart and are one hell of a band

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    sgossard3 wrote:
    agreed... it was nice (though a waste of time) to see zach stop between songs and have everyone take a few steps back and warn people if it kept up as violently that they would cut the show short... as much as everyone (excluding fans) thinks rage is some mindless, radical band they really do have everyones best interest at heart and are one hell of a band

I was amused when Zach paused to voice his concern about crowd safety, etc., and then, launched right into "Bullet in the Head" !!
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I thought it was a fun weekend. Friday and Saturday were great, but Sunday was a little lackluster for me. My favorites were Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, Black Keys, Explosions in the Sky, Rage and the National. Seeing Tweedy on the kids stage was cool too.

I thought the crowds were pretty weak, especially during Radiohead.

Too many 5'3 girls need to know that they can't survive in the front for Rage.

Honestly I haven't listened to much of NIN's new stuff...but I thought it was a real momentum killer during their set. Terrible Lie was amazing, but so much of their new material seemed to bore the crowd.
    Bremerton wrote:
    Too many 5'3 girls need to know that they can't survive in the front for Rage.
    in front of anywhere! they kept bitching about how they couldnt see and wanted to get up on peoples shoulders to block the people behind them! they should learn they cant hold their booze and drugs like tall people too... i saw more short chicks passing out

• Get_Right wrote:
    cool thanks
    I bet it was pretty good.

beautiful and snow?
    ;)
    thats what I sing to my kids

LOL! :)

Actually, I think it was "beautiful and unknown" but he only remembered to change the lyrics once or twice. He actually said in the middle of the song that he kept messing it up.

Also, I swear he added a lyric about "the girl" lifting her shirt up at the show. I couldn't believe it at the time, but I am almost positive that he sang something to that effect. :o
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I was amused when Zach paused to voice his concern about crowd safety, etc., and then, launched right into "Bullet in the Head" !!

Yeah, it's kind of a lost cause trying to get everyone to calm down when you are going to start playing Bullet in the Head or Know Your Enemy next. Can you really blame people for losing it? :)
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    sludawg13 wrote:
    Perry and Slash were outstanding!!! Kind of ironic to see those two on the Kids Stage, however. Slash left the top hat at home and sported a trucker hat and was lacking the cig hanging on his lip........it's for the kids! Anyway, they did Superstition, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Comin' Down the Mountain (I'm sure that's not the song title, but that's the first thing he yells out), and Jane Says. It was kind of funny cuz Perry introduced the songs to the kids and the adults went crazy when it was obvious what song they were going to play next.

They were alright for probably not practicing a whole lot and playing with a couple SoR teenagers. I wouldn't say it was outstanding. Unique, yes. Enjoyable, yes. Outstanding, not quite.

And Slash did have a cigarette. Not right away, but he did light up.

And it was Janes' 'Mountain Song' for those keeping track at home.

Lolla was good, but probably my least favorite of the last four years. The lineup was headliner-heavy; the supporting act list wasn't nearly as impressive as previous years.

Personal favorite performance- Iron & Wine. Amazing the mood and atmosphere they created on a really nice Sunday afternoon.

Standouts- Radiohead, Explosions In The Sky, NIN.

Accidental discovery of the weekend- Holy Fuck. They were a last minute replacement, I believe, and we accidentally went to their stage instead of The Black Lips (or Kids, or Keys, or whatever other one of the trillion "Black _____" bands was playing on the opposite main stage). We liked what we heard so much we stuck around for the whole set.
    LOL! :)

Actually, I think it was "beautiful and unknown" but he only remembered to change the lyrics once or twice. He actually said in the middle of the song that he kept messing it up.

Also, I swear he added a lyric about "the girl" lifting her shirt up at the show. I couldn't believe it at the time, but I am almost positive that he sang something to that effect. :o
    "she lifted her shirt at the battle of the bands" :D

• sgossard3 wrote:
    "she lifted her shirt at the battle of the bands" :D

YES!!! You saved me from idiocy! :D

What a great line! Maybe not the best for the kid stage though... I'm sure it floated over their heads anyway!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
    YES!!! You saved me from idiocy! :D

What a great line! Maybe not the best for the kid stage though... I'm sure it floated over their heads anyway!
    kids lift their shirts all the time... theyve got nothing to show under there... im sure they didnt think a thing of it... he said something else about smoking pot that i thought was more offensive than the titty flashing line... not that i would care about either if i was a parent

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    sgossard3 wrote:
    anyone try to get their wristband off without cutting it yet? i just tried fire, pliers, hammer, screw driver, and more fire and that lil black fuckers not moving... must be made out of the same stuff as the black box on a plane... i would pursue it more agressively except i dont wanna inadvertently slit my own wrist... i want it in one piece though!

Mine must not have been put on very tight, because on Monday just playing with it, I was able to work it off my wrist. I put it back on to wear to the NIN show in Toronto last night though! Oh we had a blast a Lolla. So awesome to see NIN again. My jaw just kept dropping at the lights, and Trent on MARIMBA during The Greater Good.

We managed to: See Saul Williams, MEET Saul, (both my daughter and I), AND keep our decent spot for NIN, (Saul's signing was at 7, NIN at 8:15) with me going first to the signing, sprinting back to take over holding the spot she'd been holding, so she could run over.

Yeah, Radiohead still doesn't do much for me. My daughter got a spot up by the soundboard, but I stayed all the way back by the stairs going into the field. They are good, but just not my thing.

The 2nd night, we'd never seen Rage, but we knew up front is pretty hardcore, so we thought we'd hang back, but when the first few notes of Testify came on I didn't want to be so far back, and my daughter and I looked at each other and we started running up. We stayed out of the hardcore front, but just had to get closer. People were talking around us, so we kept working our way up through large gaps till we got to where people were grooving and not yacking. The sound was kind of quiet though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    The 2nd night, we'd never seen Rage, but we knew up front is pretty hardcore, so we thought we'd hang back, but when the first few notes of Testify came on I didn't want to be so far back, and my daughter and I looked at each other and we started running up. We stayed out of the hardcore front, but just had to get closer. People were talking around us, so we kept working our way up through large gaps till we got to where people were grooving and not yacking. The sound was kind of quiet though.
    i keep hearing how bad RAGEs sound was at certain spots... thats really a shame... where i was was PERFECT

• Radiohead was a borefest.

The only time people cheered was when the LIGHT SHOW did something interesting.

RATM was spectacular.

NIN was godlike.

And Bang Camero is my new favorite band.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
    Joe where were you at NIN and Rage? Up at the rail?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Radiohead and Rage were both big events for me, seeing as Radiohead is one of my favorite bands and Rage is one of the first bands I ever got into...it was my first show for both of them. Unfortunately, the sound was pretty rough, and i wasn't even that far back. Rage kept switching between being too quiet and random spikes where it was just loud enough...if im seeing Rage at a festival, its gotta be LOUD! Radiohead just sounded too compressed because I was hearing it through a farther speaker set rather than off the stage....hope to get much closer for APW this weekend. Both were fantastic shows, just plagued by bad sound.

I closed the weekend with Kanye. Ive already seen NIN and im really not a big fan so I thought id experience something new with Kanye....I wasnt let down. It was actually a very very enjoyable show.

Smaller bands....nowhere near the quality of KOL or MMJ last year but Rogue Wave and the Raconteurs were still quality. Broken Social Scene surprised me with how good they were. Black Keys were repetitive and overrated as usual but still moderately entertaining. MGMT was really cool but the sound sucked and a nearby techno act drowned a lot of it out. Duffy was actually surprisingly good too.

Main grip about this year-sound issues.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    Rage kept switching between being too quiet and random spikes where it was just loud enough

Yeah, exactly what I heard from where I was. It seemed like every time Morello moved to the far right of the stage, he would get louder...then it would cut off when he moved back towards the center.
  • keelycankeelycan Posts: 409
    Am I the only person here who passed on rage and enjoyed a cold bottle of pino with WILCO they were one of my highlights along with BRoken social scene they never get enough time what a band , did anybody dance their ass off with sharon jones??? other good ones devotchka, GOGOL BORDELLO WAS AWESOME SO MUCH ENERGY!!!!! and the raconteurs wre fun also goood times
    Soldier Field 1995~Alpine Valley June I,II 1998~ United Center 2003~Alpine Valley 2003~Madison Square Garden I,II 2003~Toledo VFC 2004~Montreal 2005~Ottowa 2005~United Center I,II 2006~Cincinnati 2006~Summerfest I,II 2006~The Vic Theatre 2007~Lollapalooza 2007~Bonnaroo 2008~United Center I,II 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2008~Austin City Limits 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2011~Alpine Valley Sep 03,04 2011~Wrigley Field 2013~Seattle 2013
  • keelycan wrote:
    Am I the only person here who passed on rage and enjoyed a cold bottle of pino with WILCO they were one of my highlights along with BRoken social scene they never get enough time what a band , did anybody dance their ass off with sharon jones??? other good ones devotchka, GOGOL BORDELLO WAS AWESOME SO MUCH ENERGY!!!!! and the raconteurs wre fun also goood times
    A couple people in my crew went to Wilco, and they said it was really good. Wish I coulda seen Sharon Jones. Gogol was cool tho haha...freakin' gypsies.
  • Radiohead was a borefest.

The only time people cheered was when the LIGHT SHOW did something interesting.

RATM was spectacular.

NIN was godlike.

And Bang Camero is my new favorite band.

Sure.............

Nobody likes Radiohead.

I wasn't there yet I'm 100% positive this was a biased post based on your past Anti-Radiohead stance.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
    keelycan wrote:

I had to see Rage, but I agree with you on Broken Social Scene - never seen them before and they were good, as was Gogol Bordello. (I changed into a purple tee for Gogol hehe), and the Raconteurs were awesome. I felt very lucky to have been in the vicinity of both Jack White and Tom Morello in the same weekend. I'd listened to a bit of Devotchka online and decided they weren't really my thing.
    keelycan wrote:
    =GOGOL BORDELLO WAS AWESOME SO MUCH ENERGY!!!!!
    it was like something right out of borat! very cool and unexpected!

• Sure.............

Nobody likes Radiohead.

I wasn't there yet I'm 100% positive this was a biased post based on your past Anti-Radiohead stance.
    Totally. Radiohead easily stole that festival. And I never liked them until about 5 minutes after they took the stage...at that point I was thinking "ok, I can dig this"...by the time National Anthem started, it was more like "AHHHHHHHH!!! wtfadkafldkaflda!!!!"

Now I know why all their shows sell out so quickly.

This is coming from someone who is a HUGE fan of both Nails & Rage
  • Sure.............

Nobody likes Radiohead.

my bias has nothing to do with the fact that Radiohead spent 2 hours playing really mellow music that left everyone just standing there watching silently.

Whereas NIN and RATM destroyed and had everyone screaming the songs at the tops of their lungs, and after they finished the chicago streets were overtaken by a sea of people cheering and yelling for BLOCKS AND BLOCKS, long after they left the park

Ask anyone who was there

there is no comparison when it comes to what people thought of Radiohead vs. the other bands. The crowd response was night and day.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB