Lollapalooza '08

Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
edited August 2008 in Other Music
so who was there?!? how great was it?!? im still in awe! saw 3 of my favorite bands 3 nights in a row as well as a bunch or other great acts! NIN being the only one i hadnt seen before last night and wow! their live show is incredible! i got my ass kicked by the crowd (even worse than RAGE) and their light show is INSANE! does it offend you, yeah? put on a great show saturday morning... the gutter twins were amazing eventhough mark just stood there like a statue... my only complaint was that radiohead played the EXACT same set that they did at st. louis... obviously not something to bitch about, but ive heard they mix it up alot and they shouldve assumed that alot of chicago people were at both... still an incredible show... i was about 30 yards from the stage for every headliner!

Lolla did it again! it tops itself every year! and the weather couldnt have been more perfect! lame poster this year though

lets hear some other peoples opinion... i saw ALOT of PJ shirts and tattoos (talked to a few of them) so i trust alot of people from here were there
"Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Great weekend!!!

My favs were probably Radiohead, Rage, Battles, John Butler, and The National. Iron and Wine was better than I expected. Jamie Lidell was interesting. I agree, Explosions were very good! Perfect band for a hot summer afternoon in the city. Gutter Twins would have been better at night, but what can you do.

I thought NIN slowed their set down to much with the Ghosts stuff, but for the hardcore fans I'm sure even that was great. Just not as much fun for the casual fan.

Would have loved to have seen Wilco, but couldn't pass up on Rage, and I've seen Wilco 2x's in the past year anyway. Also, Saul Williams and Steven Malkmus were casualties of schedule conflicts for me. :(

I felt like they crammed to many people in this year though, but with the weather so nice, I couldn't have pictured it any better!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    poster link?

and how was rage?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    LukinFan wrote:
    poster link?

and how was rage?
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/84065

rage was great! the crowd was crazy so they had to stop a few times to get everyone to step back and calm down (which kindof killed the momentum alot)... thought it was funny how many people were bitching about it... its a RAGE CONCERT! you should expect to get roughed up! they played their usual greatest hits setlist but it was phenomenal as usual! nice politcal rant during "wake up"

and i agree that NIN slowed it down a little too much in the middle of their setlist... i consider myself a pretty big fan so i was glad to hear something off of ghosts, but i wouldve preferred a different track... but my legs were all warmed up from jumping and moshing the first few songs and then its hard to get back into after slowing down for so long... mightve passed out if it was just rockin the whole time... pretty damn hot... wouldve liked to hear * fucker... trent was very sincere and grateful before playing hurt

• sgossard3 wrote:

rage was great! the crowd was crazy so they had to stop a few times to get everyone to step back and calm down (which kindof killed the momentum alot)... thought it was funny how many people were bitching about it... its a RAGE CONCERT! you should expect to get roughed up! they played their usual greatest hits setlist but it was phenomenal as usual! nice politcal rant during "wake up"

and i agree that NIN slowed it down a little too much in the middle of their setlist... i consider myself a pretty big fan so i was glad to hear something off of ghosts, but i wouldve preferred a different track... but my legs were all warmed up from jumping and moshing the first few songs and then its hard to get back into after slowing down for so long... mightve passed out if it was just rockin the whole time... pretty damn hot... wouldve liked to hear * fucker... trent was very sincere and grateful before playing hurt

I wasn't extremely close for Rage, but there was still quite a bit of moshing in my area. People were acting like they had never seen a moshpit before! I almost got in a fight when I realized that the guy behind me was trying to open up my backpack. All because I wasn't standing still, and might have "bumped" into him a few times. It was great to finally see those songs played live after listening to those albums for so long...
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    sgossard3 wrote:

thanks- yeah, that's kind of a weak poster. But it sounds like Rage rocked!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    sgossard3 wrote:

Im just amazed that NIN is doin some soft acoustic shit...I mean Justin Meldal Johnson(who was Beck's musical director for years) is playing a standup bass I heard????
    hoopinman wrote:
    Im just amazed that NIN is doin some soft acoustic shit...I mean Justin Meldal Johnson(who was Beck's musical director for years) is playing a standup bass I heard????
    i wouldnt go so far as to say "soft"... very rich in layers and nuances... even gently abrasive at time... though that sounds somewhat contradictory... definitely plenty for the mind to toy with like everything trents responsible for

and yep... the standup made an appearance on 2 or 3 songs last night

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i heard radiohead was not all that. rage & nin great. Slash and Perry at the kidapalooza sounded CRAZY!!!!!! And i LOVE G-love!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    SENROCK! wrote:
    i heard radiohead was not all that. rage & nin great. Slash and Perry at the kidapalooza sounded CRAZY!!!!!! And i LOVE G-love!!!!! :D
    who said that about radiohead?!? it was GREAT! nowhere near the insane violent energy of rage and NIN but still... definitely what ive come to expect and love about their live shows... as usual a little lacking in crowd interaction from thom, but thats just not his thing

i got a hint about slash being there the day before during jeff tweedys set (a highlight i forgot to mention before... i was literally 10 feet away from the guy!) they said something like "if youve played guitar hero, youll probably know tomorrows guest"... so i immediately thought of slash and figured itd be cool to see... but forgot to check it out the next day cause i was drinkin :D

anyone know what they played? / got a video link?

sgossard3 wrote:
    who said that about radiohead?!? it was GREAT! nowhere near the insane violent energy of rage and NIN but still... definitely what ive come to expect and love about their live shows... as usual a little lacking in crowd interaction from thom, but thats just not his thing

i got a hint about slash being there the day before during jeff tweedys set (a highlight i forgot to mention before... i was literally 10 feet away from the guy!) they said something like "if youve played guitar hero, youll probably know tomorrows guest"... so i immediately thought of slash and figured itd be cool to see... but forgot to check it out the next day cause i was drinkin :D

i will NOT reveal my source!!! :D
    I totally believed them tho cuz radiohead does NOTHING for me. no offense.

not sure of the songs slash and perry played. i heard them but i dont remember!!! :eek: i missed being there this year!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Radiohead was amazing, and I wasn't a fan right up until they went on that stage. They gave the best performance of the entire festival imo. Rage was good, but their sound sucked. There was a huge area of people who couldn't really hear them. Nails was cool too, but obviously Reznor couldn't perform 100% due to illness. Terrible Lie and Big Come Down still ruled.

Loved Battles, Saul Williams, Love and Rockets, Brazilian Girls (pussy & marijuana haha), and Does It Offend's dj set...I was dancin' for 3 days straight! I'm wiped!
  • I thought NIN slowed their set down to much with the Ghosts stuff, but for the hardcore fans I'm sure even that was great. Just not as much fun for the casual fan.

Agreed - I actually left when they were playing stuff from Ghosts. I like the music, but for a concert I got a little bored. One song would have been okay, but they droned on for too long. I'm sure I missed out, instead I went to Kanye who promoted himself and exploited his dead mother. It was lose-lose.

Radiohead and Rage were amazing. Rage sounded perfect where I was - in the middle somewhere. I thought having to stop the show mid-song was pretty funny, although I'm sure the people who were getting hurt weren't laughing.

Radiohead is a great band and sound just as great in concert - but if you don't like them, you don't like them. I never saw them before and loved their set-list. Only wished I could have heard "My Iron Lung", but that is a small complaint.
    Radiohead is a great band and sound just as great in concert - but if you don't like them, you don't like them. I never saw them before and loved their set-list. Only wished I could have heard "My Iron Lung", but that is a small complaint.
    you got all the obama shit going on around the festival and 2 other headliners you know are gonna get political the following nights and then you dont play "electioneering"??? FUCK! ;) (was hoping for that and "go to sleep")

• sgossard3 wrote:

It was good, but not great. I'd been told by many people that seeing them live would change my mind about radiohead, but that wasn't the case. It was a pretty boring set. Thom was as pretentious as ever. An hour and a half into the set he hadn't spoken a word to the crowd and played videotape and house of cards back to back, then faults the crowd for being quiet and subdued. Sorry Thom, if you want some excitement, you've got to play songs that aren't lullabies or funeral dirges. That said, when they were on, they were very good. Kid A and the National Anthem were standouts. But it is quite sad that they neglected so much of their more energetic material, especially when playing a hot outdoor festival.

Lolla was good, but paled compared to the last 2 years. Granted, I may be biased as I spent the 2-3 days before and during moving apartments and was exhausted and sore much of the weekend. Only got to see Radiohead on Saturday. Wilco and Rage were on fire (split their sets). Lupe Fiasco was awesome. Broken Social Scene and John Butler were also pretty good. Nine Inch Nails was the highlight for me though. Some of their instrumental interludes were kind of momentum killers, but at least those jams had a groove, which can't be said for the mellow tunes in Radiohead's set. I'm amazed to hear Trent was sick, can't imagine what they would have done at full strength because the set in general was incredible.
    anyone try to get their wristband off without cutting it yet? i just tried fire, pliers, hammer, screw driver, and more fire and that lil black fuckers not moving... must be made out of the same stuff as the black box on a plane... i would pursue it more agressively except i dont wanna inadvertently slit my own wrist... i want it in one piece though!

• sgossard3 wrote:
    anyone try to get their wristband off without cutting it yet? i just tried fire, pliers, hammer, screw driver, and more fire and that lil black fuckers not moving... must be made out of the same stuff as the black box on a plane... i would pursue it more agressively except i dont wanna inadvertently slit my own wrist... i want it in one piece though!

I ended up just cutting mine and then moving the black thing off. It was kind of a bummer, but whatcha gonna do?
  • hardboiled wrote:
    It was good, but not great. I'd been told by many people that seeing them live would change my mind about radiohead, but that wasn't the case. It was a pretty boring set. Thom was as pretentious as ever. An hour and a half into the set he hadn't spoken a word to the crowd and played videotape and house of cards back to back, then faults the crowd for being quiet and subdued. Sorry Thom, if you want some excitement, you've got to play songs that aren't lullabies or funeral dirges. That said, when they were on, they were very good. Kid A and the National Anthem were standouts. But it is quite sad that they neglected so much of their more energetic material, especially when playing a hot outdoor festival.

I didn't think he was faulting the crowd so much - he made a joke and everyone cheered, he laughed and it was all good. He seemed in good spirits, many around me noticed as well. I thought was very energetic with his grooves on stage. Of course I would call myself a Radiohead fan and even though their music may be depressing at times, gets me goin.

One thing I've noticed at about every concert I've been to - no one connects with the crowd like Eddie Vedder, PJ fans are lucky and biased in this way. Except maybe an old local (Grand Rapids, MI) band called Domestic Problems, it is rare (at the PJ level). So I do agree that his lack of talking was a negative, but this is typical. How much did Reznor talk? What about their songs that droned? It's funny that your complaints of Radiohead, are similar to my complaints of NIN. To each his own.

Also, I gave up and cut my band yesterday. Tried everything as well.
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    You just get a screwdriver and bend the clip inside the black thing...comes right off.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Lolla was a blast...NIN were great...the instrumentals slowed the momentum, but after that, they went back to the loud angry stuff....crowd wasn't as harsh as RATM.

Radiohead was cool...great lights

We watched Rage from the platform in the Lolla lounge...no way were we gonna get in the thick of things during their set.....the field was packed for their set...an amazing sight to see

For the most part, the backwards baseball cap-wearing/shirtless drunks behaved themselves.

This was my first Lolla (been to all of the Coachellas), and the venue was HUGE! It was great to see bands performing under the lights of the Chicago skyline.

Love and Rockets were great, even though most of the crowd were there to get a good spot for NIN.

The weather was muggy, so we got there around 4pm each day ('cept for Saturday..we got there early to see Does it Offend You, Yeah?, but went back to the hotel for a bit of a nap before coming back for Broken Social Scene).

Luckily, we got out of the city before the tornado warnings!

Overall, a fun experience.

edit: I used brut stregnth to rip off the wristband!
    :)
  • I didn't think he was faulting the crowd so much - he made a joke and everyone cheered, he laughed and it was all good. He seemed in good spirits, many around me noticed as well. I thought was very energetic with his grooves on stage. Of course I would call myself a Radiohead fan and even though their music may be depressing at times, gets me goin.

One thing I've noticed at about every concert I've been to - no one connects with the crowd like Eddie Vedder, PJ fans are lucky and biased in this way. Except maybe an old local (Grand Rapids, MI) band called Domestic Problems, it is rare (at the PJ level). So I do agree that his lack of talking was a negative, but this is typical. How much did Reznor talk? What about their songs that droned? It's funny that your complaints of Radiohead, are similar to my complaints of NIN. To each his own.

That's true. It did occur to me that the last band I saw on that scale before Radiohead was Pearl Jam and they are better than any band I've ever seen at engaging a crowd. They had the whole place jumping at last year's Lolla. I love listening to that bootleg. The way they came right out with Why Go and Corduroy just hooked the crowd. Radiohead at their best never seemed to have the kind of rapport Ed got by the first chorus.

Reznor did not talk much, it's true. But I felt like their set at least had some serious energy, singalongs, connection, etc. The intensity and energy of most of the songs made up for it. You can miss one or the other, but not both. I felt Radiohead missed on both. I agree the NIN set dragged in the middle a bit, but I like their instrumentals better. At least they were killer, creepy jams that you could move to (or trip balls to, which I rather wish I had done, hehe). I like those songs better because they at least had rhythm. I felt like Radiohead's droning songs would have been great in a concert hall with a seat, but when you've just got a piano ballad with whining, indecipherable lyrics, there's nothing to respond to. It's a stylistic choice I suppose. I prefer music to words, and I like a lot of hip hop and some electronica, so something with a killer groove that i can at least bob my head to suits me better than a simple piano ditty that I just listen to while staring at the stage. The crowd seemed to feel the same where I was. I've never heard as much talking at a show as there was when Radiohead played a slow song. There was some of that during NIN, but even during the down parts, people seemed mostly hypnotized and into what was going on.
  • Some of my vids for yas...

Love And Rockets - Ball Of Confusion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flM80ihUiho

Love And Rockets - No New Tale To Tell:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqg1fte7c5U

Nails - Closer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9n3ARHcRxs

Radiohead - National Anthem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qtoXUeu04

Radiohead - Everything:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttq87_ogJMM

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS07nNE3Pho

Saul Williams:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMy5GFdAsWA

Battles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yVwxX6Z7-8
  • sgossard3 wrote:

I said that about Radiohead. Now, I'm a casual fan of Radiohead and was ready for a greatest hits show(which for me is everything they did in the 90s), which I would expect bands to do when they play a festival. That's just me......I think a band has to appeal to the whole audience at a festival and not just the die hards. Sure, we all would have loved to see PJ play all the songs they played at the Vic at Lolla last year, but when they played Education, you could see the majority of the people asking people what song it was and pretty much gave everyone a 3.5 minute break.

Rage was INCREDIBLE! Total ass kicking from start to finish. Definitely my favorite band of the weekend.

Now, don't hate, but we decided to go see Kanye West on Sunday night instead of NIN just because we figured we'd end the weekend on a "party set" instead of an "angry set" and he was actually very good. Talk about a non-stop set. He went from one hit to another and didn't take a break until his "band" played Don't Stop Believin'. He did talk about how he was the "greatest" blah, blah, blah, but that's what rappers do.

Perry and Slash were outstanding!!! Kind of ironic to see those two on the Kids Stage, however. Slash left the top hat at home and sported a trucker hat and was lacking the cig hanging on his lip........it's for the kids! Anyway, they did Superstition, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Comin' Down the Mountain (I'm sure that's not the song title, but that's the first thing he yells out), and Jane Says. It was kind of funny cuz Perry introduced the songs to the kids and the adults went crazy when it was obvious what song they were going to play next.

My favs - Rage, Black Keys, Toadies, Lupe Fiasco, John Butler Trio, Kanye, Radiohead, Bloc Party, and Bang Camaro (they had 13 singers in their band!).

I think they blew the budget this year on the headliners and the meat of the lineup was lacking. Last year, I was running from stage to stage!
    I didn't think he was faulting the crowd so much - he made a joke and everyone cheered, he laughed and it was all good. He seemed in good spirits, many around me noticed as well. I thought was very energetic with his grooves on stage. Of course I would call myself a Radiohead fan and even though their music may be depressing at times, gets me goin.

i felt that trents words before "hurt" were more than enough... he came across as incredible sincere and grateful which im sure is 10X more than you got from kanye who was probably pissed that EVERYBODY wasnt there to see him (hes a cock)... ed wasted valuable time last year with talking... after seeing all the bands i did this weekend it makes me wish ed would talk a bit less at times... i usually like what he has to say since hes got a great sense of humor, but for a festivals radiohead, rage, and NIN had it right by keeping the chit chat to a minimum

as far the wristband thing... i think ive already melted and bent it too much for the simple fix... might have to just cut it :(

glad i havent heard any major negatives from anyone so far! its incredible how something so massive can run so flawlessly with so many people coming and going! and great to see so much environmental awareness there!

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    anybody catch tweedy on the kidz stage?
    Curious how that went
    sludawg13 wrote:
    I think they blew the budget this year on the headliners and the meat of the lineup was lacking. Last year, I was running from stage to stage!
    agreed... i was fine with it since i paid $60 for all 3 days... but if i had paid full price i wouldve expected a bit more

anyone wanna speculate headliners for next year? i was just doing it with a friend...

-beck
    -smashing pumpkins (they seem to like some 90's representation)
    -alice in chains (same reason as above, depends on success of new album)
    -stone temple pilots (probably wont even be around by next year)
    -foo fighters
    -my morning jacket
    -neil young
    -phish (more likely a bonnaroo headliner if the reunion happens)
    -weezer

alot of those are long shots... but they all seem plausible in my mind

Get_Right wrote:
    Curious how that went
    phenomenal... he was actually on the ground in front of the kidz stage instead... with a bunch of younsters at his feet... i feel bad for the people in the back, but since i was only like 10 feet away, dead center i had a great time... he played a few wilco songs (hummingbird, heavy metal drummer, and another) as well as an uncle tupelo song... very funny guy... one of the highlights of the weekend for me... glad i made it since i missed wilco

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    sludawg13 wrote:
    I said that about Radiohead. Now, I'm a casual fan of Radiohead and was ready for a greatest hits show(which for me is everything they did in the 90s), which I would expect bands to do when they play a festival. That's just me......I think a band has to appeal to the whole audience at a festival and not just the die hards. Sure, we all would have loved to see PJ play all the songs they played at the Vic at Lolla last year, but when they played Education, you could see the majority of the people asking people what song it was and pretty much gave everyone a 3.5 minute break.

Rage was INCREDIBLE! Total ass kicking from start to finish. Definitely my favorite band of the weekend.

Now, don't hate, but we decided to go see Kanye West on Sunday night instead of NIN just because we figured we'd end the weekend on a "party set" instead of an "angry set" and he was actually very good. Talk about a non-stop set. He went from one hit to another and didn't take a break until his "band" played Don't Stop Believin'. He did talk about how he was the "greatest" blah, blah, blah, but that's what rappers do.

Perry and Slash were outstanding!!! Kind of ironic to see those two on the Kids Stage, however. Slash left the top hat at home and sported a trucker hat and was lacking the cig hanging on his lip........it's for the kids! Anyway, they did Superstition, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Comin' Down the Mountain (I'm sure that's not the song title, but that's the first thing he yells out), and Jane Says. It was kind of funny cuz Perry introduced the songs to the kids and the adults went crazy when it was obvious what song they were going to play next.

My favs - Rage, Black Keys, Toadies, Lupe Fiasco, John Butler Trio, Kanye, Radiohead, Bloc Party, and Bang Camaro (they had 13 singers in their band!).

I agree about the lack of undercard bands....not many exciting early afternoon performances.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    Curious how that went

Yeah, I saw him there. He sat in front of the stage, so no one but the kids up front could really see him. He played about 4-5 songs including Humming Bird and Heavy Metal Drummer (which he tried unsuccessfully to change the lyrics to make more kid friendly).

He was also joined by a member of Uncle Tupelo (obv. not Jay Farrar) and they played an old Uncle Tupelo song I wasn't familiar with.

Pretty cool overall since Jeff is such a charismatic guy.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I agree about the lack of undercard bands....not many exciting early afternoon performances.

Bang Camaro was a great band to start the weekend off! Just balls to the wall rock. I read in their bio that they have between 10 and 20 singers per show and there are no verses in their songs......all choruses. They had a quote from one of the guys and he says, "Who remembers the verses to 'Pour Some Sugar on Me?" To an extent, he's right!

For me, the best part about the Kanye set was when he would stop rapping and let the crowd do it..........no one around me knew the words! And then I listen to Betterman this morning on my walk to work and it sounds like all 60,000 people are singing along.
    sludawg13 wrote:

HEY! I said i wasnt gonna reveal my source!!! But i love how you owned up. :D And did u REALLY say Lupe was good??!!! :eek: Did he get more material after last year or what! hahaha