Lollapalooza '08

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    sgossard3 wrote:
    agreed... i was fine with it since i paid $60 for all 3 days... but if i had paid full price i wouldve expected a bit more

anyone wanna speculate headliners for next year? i was just doing it with a friend...

-beck
    -smashing pumpkins (they seem to like some 90's representation)
    -alice in chains (same reason as above, depends on success of new album)
    -stone temple pilots (probably wont even be around by next year)
    -foo fighters
    -my morning jacket
    -neil young
    -phish (more likely a bonnaroo headliner if the reunion happens)
    -weezer

alot of those are long shots... but they all seem plausible in my mind

I am thinking:

Roger Waters
    Iron Maiden (perhaps a bit of a stretch)
    Metallica
    Coldplay

The festival is getting "old" enough that they may have to have some repeat headliners.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    SENROCK! wrote:
    HEY! I said i wasnt gonna reveal my source!!! But i love how you owned up. :D And did u REALLY say Lupe was good??!!! :eek: Did he get more material after last year or what! hahaha
    he was MUCH better than last year... ill give him that... had some new stuff... and he didnt do the "can you dig it??" which was a plus... had some very talented backup singers and their outfits were even coordinated which made it seem more considered than last year (i guess matching clothes were in this year since wilco did the same thing)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

This was my first Lolla (been to all of the Coachellas), and the venue was HUGE! It was great to see bands performing under the lights of the Chicago skyline.

:)
    Isnt that AMAZING???!!!! I say they picked the perfect place to have lolla cuz that skyline is craziness. Gladd you hadd fun!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    agreed... i was fine with it since i paid $60 for all 3 days... but if i had paid full price i wouldve expected a bit more

anyone wanna speculate headliners for next year? i was just doing it with a friend...

-beck
    -smashing pumpkins (they seem to like some 90's representation)
    -alice in chains (same reason as above, depends on success of new album)
    -stone temple pilots (probably wont even be around by next year)
    -foo fighters
    -my morning jacket
    -neil young
    -phish (more likely a bonnaroo headliner if the reunion happens)
    -weezer

alot of those are long shots... but they all seem plausible in my mind

Beck, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Jay-Z with The Roots, My Morning Jacket, Jimmy Eat World.
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    HEY! I said i wasnt gonna reveal my source!!! But i love how you owned up. :D And did u REALLY say Lupe was good??!!! :eek: Did he get more material after last year or what! hahaha

Yes!!!! Very good! Full band behind him and no, "CAN YOUUUUU DIG IT?"
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am thinking:

Roger Waters
    Iron Maiden (perhaps a bit of a stretch)
    Metallica
    Coldplay

The festival is getting "old" enough that they may have to have some repeat headliners.
    wow... you could count me out of JOEJOEJOE's lolla :p

i agree its gonna start getting hard to get bands epic enough to be headliners AND fit the overall feeling of the festival without double dipping... and i think we have a contract in chicago til 2012

sgossard3 wrote:
    he was MUCH better than last year... ill give him that... had some new stuff... and he didnt do the "can you dig it??" which was a plus... had some very talented backup singers and their outfits were even coordinated which made it seem more considered than last year (i guess matching clothes were in this year since wilco did the same thing)

hahaha 'can u dig it'.....:D last year sludawg & i were by the wine tent or something trippin out on Lupe cuz he hadd like what, 20 minutes to kill and was out of material? ohhhh it was great. Im gladd he improved at least!!! :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

sgossard3 wrote:

i agree its gonna start getting hard to get bands epic enough to be headliners AND fit the overall feeling of the festival without double dipping... and i think we have a contract in chicago til 2012
    whats wrong with Iron Maiden & Metallica??!!!!!! :eek:

sludawg13 wrote:
    Yes!!!! Very good! Full band behind him and no, "CAN YOUUUUU DIG IT?"

the million dollar question is.......
    were you EXXXCITED???!!!!! :D

sgossard3 wrote:

Its far from MY Lolla...just an educated guess!

I loved the city of Chicago....we didn't have too much time for strolling around, but we ate at The Chicago Chop House, The Weber Grill and Miller's Pub.

Having a hotel room very close to the venue was great!
    SENROCK! wrote:
    whats wrong with Iron Maiden & Metallica??!!!!!! :eek:
    love maiden... but like he said that would be a long shot... and i fuckin hate metallica... and coldplay?? i guess i could actually see that happening... as long as theyre at the same time as a good band... and i just dont think roger waters is a great fit for lolla though ive heard he puts on a good show

lollas tricky because they seem to not wanna go further back than the 90's with headliners yet theres only so many bands between then and now big enough to headline... itd be great to see the stones or peter frampton or something of that caliber and generation but i dont see it happening at lolla for some reason

• SENROCK! wrote:
    the million dollar question is.......
    were you EXXXCITED???!!!!! :D

Not gonna lie, we were just through the gate and I turned to her and said, "I'm excited!" Then I told her how you and I asked each other that all the time.

I also introduced her arm to the fan blade from those little AT&T fans. :D
    sgossard3 wrote:
    love maiden... but like he said that would be a long shot... and i fuckin hate metallica... and coldplay?? i guess i could actually see that happening... as long as theyre at the same time as a good band... and i just dont think roger waters is a great fit for lolla though ive heard he puts on a good show

lollas tricky because they seem to not wanna go further back than the 90's with headliners yet theres only so many bands between then and now big enough to headline... itd be great to see the stones or peter frampton or something of that caliber and generation but i dont see it happening at lolla for some reason

Coachella had Roger Waters this year, so I bet Lolla would be ok with such a booking.

Madonna may be a possibilty as well.

There are way too many festivals now, so the talent pool gets watered-down more and more every year.
    sludawg13 wrote:
    Not gonna lie, we were just through the gate and I turned to her and said, "I'm excited!" Then I told her how you and I asked each other that all the time.

I also introduced her arm to the fan blade from those little AT&T fans. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my GOD i am laughing SO loud!!!!! Those damn fan blades!!!!! I cant stop laughing!!!!! :D You're CRAZY!!!!
    Im gladd you guys hadd fun. You'll need to fill me in on 'stuff' pretty soon.

sgossard3 wrote:
    litd be great to see the stones or peter frampton
    PETER FRAMPTON??!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

id love to see sigur ros, presidents of the USA, and band of horses get a slot right before a headliner next year too... thats the kind of act this year needed in that spot

SENROCK! wrote:
    PETER FRAMPTON??!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    i trust those are positive eeks??

he is BY FAR the MOST underrated guitarist EVER! his last album was SICK! and he would definitely have some fun sing alongs!

SENROCK! wrote:
    PETER FRAMPTON??!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek eek

perhaps he could fit it in between his state fair / boat show apprearances!
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    I had a great time for the fourth year in a row. Some highlights for me were Broken Social Scene, Yeasayers, The Whigs, The Blakes, Ha Ha Tonka, Radiohead, Rage, NIN.

I would have to say that this year was my least favorite lineup though. Last year being the best of course. PJ, KOL and MMJ... you can't beat that.

I played a ton a hack this year... more so than years past.

I forgot to add... I thought the sound was bad for Rage and Radiohead. I was on the right side pretty far back though.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    hey... i feel for what the guy has been limited to... fuckin car insurance commercial?!? he seems to take it all with a grain of salt and just keep on keeping on though... who here can argue that hes not an incredible guitarist?? i know mike would agree with me!

ok i can see what people are saying though... hes kindof the same caliber as ted nugent at this point in his career (though less of an ass)... maybe not a headliner... but he would be fun!

Riot_Mac wrote:
    I had a great time for the fourth year in a row. Some highlights for me were Broken Social Scene, Yeasayers, The Whigs, The Blakes, Ha Ha Tonka, Radiohead, Rage, NIN.

I would have to say that this year was my least favorite lineup though. Last year being the best of course. PJ, KOL and MMJ... you can't beat that.

I played a ton a hack this year... more so than years past.

Broken Social Scene were great...these "collective" bands from Canada are great fun!
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hey... i feel for what the guy has been limited to... fuckin car insurance commercial?!? he seems to take it all with a grain of salt and just keep on keeping on though... who here can argue that hes not an incredible guitarist?? i know mike would agree with me!

ok i can see what people are saying though... hes kindof the same caliber as ted nugent at this point in his career (though less of an ass)... maybe not a headliner... but he would be fun!

He is the John Mayer of the 70s.....he lost a lot of credibility by being a teen idol.

I saw him when he played guitar for David Bowie on tour in 1987...he was great.

Remember when he was on "Ba Ba Blacksheep" ?
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i trust those are positive eeks??

he is BY FAR the MOST underrated guitarist EVER! his last album was SICK! and he would definitely have some fun sing alongs!
    Listen to me. Anyone that knows me here KNOWS that i ADORE The Master Sir McCready. HOWEVER......Peter Frampton is the reason i love music the way i do. I have said several times on this board that HE is the ULTIMATE Master and that if i saw him & Sir McCready on stage together........i'd probably combust right then & there.

• SENROCK! wrote:
    Listen to me. Anyone that knows me here KNOWS that i ADORE The Master Sir McCready. HOWEVER......Peter Frampton is the reason i love music the way i do. I have said several times on this board that HE is the ULTIMATE Master and that if i saw him & Sir McCready on stage together........i'd probably combust right then & there.

Toledo '04 :D Just wanted to rub it in again!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    ohhhhhh JOE. Because you and I get along Im not gonna take that as a dis which NORMALLY i would. I give the guy ALOT of credit for everything he went thru. To see him playing again is good enough for me. I would LOVE to see him at Lollapalooza!!!! Can u imagine him AND the boys take that stage in 2010???!!!!! I CAN!!!!!

• sludawg13 wrote:
    I said that about Radiohead. Now, I'm a casual fan of Radiohead and was ready for a greatest hits show(which for me is everything they did in the 90s), which I would expect bands to do when they play a festival. That's just me......I think a band has to appeal to the whole audience at a festival and not just the die hards. Sure, we all would have loved to see PJ play all the songs they played at the Vic at Lolla last year, but when they played Education, you could see the majority of the people asking people what song it was and pretty much gave everyone a 3.5 minute break.

Rage was INCREDIBLE! Total ass kicking from start to finish. Definitely my favorite band of the weekend.

Now, don't hate, but we decided to go see Kanye West on Sunday night instead of NIN just because we figured we'd end the weekend on a "party set" instead of an "angry set" and he was actually very good. Talk about a non-stop set. He went from one hit to another and didn't take a break until his "band" played Don't Stop Believin'. He did talk about how he was the "greatest" blah, blah, blah, but that's what rappers do.

Perry and Slash were outstanding!!! Kind of ironic to see those two on the Kids Stage, however. Slash left the top hat at home and sported a trucker hat and was lacking the cig hanging on his lip........it's for the kids! Anyway, they did Superstition, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Comin' Down the Mountain (I'm sure that's not the song title, but that's the first thing he yells out), and Jane Says. It was kind of funny cuz Perry introduced the songs to the kids and the adults went crazy when it was obvious what song they were going to play next.

My favs - Rage, Black Keys, Toadies, Lupe Fiasco, John Butler Trio, Kanye, Radiohead, Bloc Party, and Bang Camaro (they had 13 singers in their band!).

I think they blew the budget this year on the headliners and the meat of the lineup was lacking. Last year, I was running from stage to stage!
    No hate here, I dig Kanye. My gf and I saw the Glow in the Dark tour already though, so opting for NIN was easy. Though I was kind of disappointed with it at the time. A little too scripted for me I think, plus our seats were way at the back of an arena. I imagine it would have made for a very cool end to the weekend.

And THAT was Slash and Perry??? I was walking by and heard Superstition and wanted to stop, but we were hungry. If I'd know who was playing it... damn!

I agree about a hits show though. I was happy that Pearl Jam did that, it got the whole crowd fired up and made for so much fun. I also agree that the lineup was leaner than in years past.
    sludawg13 wrote:
    Toledo '04 :D Just wanted to rub it in again!
    i KNEW IT!!!! ure lucky i love you. I was going to add in my last post "i dont want to hear about toledo 04!!!" THANKS.

SENROCK! wrote:
    phew... wasnt sure how to interpret all those :eek:

itd be great to see him and mike together live! if hes willing to make an appearance with chris cornell live then im sure hed do the same for PJ (or anyone else willing to give him a hot meal :D)

• SENROCK! wrote:
    i KNEW IT!!!! ure lucky i love you. I was going to add in my last post "i dont want to hear about toledo 04!!!" THANKS.

And you can't forget about Uncle Neil, too!!! :D Okay, I'm done.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Yeah, I saw him there. He sat in front of the stage, so no one but the kids up front could really see him. He played about 4-5 songs including Humming Bird and Heavy Metal Drummer (which he tried unsuccessfully to change the lyrics to make more kid friendly).

He was also joined by a member of Uncle Tupelo (obv. not Jay Farrar) and they played an old Uncle Tupelo song I wasn't familiar with.

Pretty cool overall since Jeff is such a charismatic guy.
    cool thanks
    I bet it was pretty good.

beautiful and snow?
    ;)
    thats what I sing to my kids