zeitgeist is the pumpkins 3rd grand masterpiece

Comments

• Anybody know if iTunes pre-orders are available for download at midnight? If not, what time? I've only listened to about four tracks so far. So fuckin excited to get my hands on it :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Now that the thread is actually back on topic, would the person who said he/she was a pumpkins fan but really didn't like the album explain why? I'm just curious. I really enjoy all of their albums - even Machina I AND Machina II. I've only heard snippets of most of the songs, but I liked most of what I heard and was looking forward to picking this up. I would like to hear from other pumpkins fans who don't like it. Please tell me what you don't like about it, more than just "it sucks".

The lyrics are semi-retarded. "I don't wanna fight/every single night/everything I want is in your light!" Compare that to "The useless drag of another day/The endless drags of a death rock boy/Mascara sure and lipstick lost/Glitter burned by restless thoughts/Of being forgotten!"

Songs like "That's The Way," "Never Lost," and "Bring The Light" all sound like Zwan outtakes. "Come On (Let's Go)" is cock rock at it's best. Something the Pumpkins would never have done back in the day. The only song that sounds like what the Pumpkins would have done is "7 Shades Of Black."

It's just a bland rock album, and it sucks that the Smashing Pumpkins name is on it. When I think the Pumpkins I think of grand, huge symphonic rock with pure feeling. "Starz" sounds like Billy dialing in.

My main quip with the album is the production. It sucks. They should have brought back Butch Vig, Flood, or whoever. Billy's litte vocal harmonies run parts of United States and Doomsday Clock for me. And I hate the Brian May-esque guitar solos. I was just hoping for something more, but I feel let down. The album would have been so much better also if they included the title-track Zeitgeist in real tracklist instead of a bonus track. It's a simple acoustic song that's very powerful and one of the best thing Corgan's done in a while.

I hope that is enough reason as to why I just can't get into it. I mean it's better than alot of shit rock on the radio, granted. But it's the fucking Smashing Pumpkins. These guys made the best fucking double-album of all time. Zeitgeist is just too basic. Besides United States(the end fucking rules though), there isn't anything
    powerful on the whole record.

EDIT: And the weirdest thing, I think God And Country might be my favorite track on the album.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    honestly what were some of you expecting on this album??? i get the feeling you wanted a meloncholly and infinite sadness part 2???

i dont have any expectations for this album, i dont even remember the last good thing Coragan has done
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    And the weirdest thing, I think God And Country might be my favorite track on the album.
    I like most of the album and this is my favorite track too.

I sincerely hate the mixing of the vocals on this album, except for the title track which is just Billy and his acoustic (so I know it was the production sounding like utter shit, not Billy).

I also think that Billy may have created some anthems. Starz definitely, and I'd even stand by Doomsday Clock.
    pjalive21 wrote:
    honestly what were some of you expecting on this album??? i get the feeling you wanted a meloncholly and infinite sadness part 2???

i dont have any expectations for this album, i dont even remember the last good thing Coragan has done

No not exactly, but something that varies a little more. I just can't listen to tracks 4, 8, 9, and 10 without thinking, "My god Billy what have you done?"
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    No not exactly, but something that varies a little more. I just can't listen to tracks 4, 8, 9, and 10 without thinking, "My god Billy what have you done?"
    the main question is what have you done?
    you said you were a musician...how many fan boyz do YOU have?
    how many grammys have you won??? post a video of your music on you tube and lets see the mighty musician
    jsaso wrote:
    how many grammys have you won??? post a video of your music on you tube and lets see the mighty musician

Dude shut up, you are an idiot.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    jsaso wrote:
    dude, let the guy have his/her opinion, even though i can't agree, they stated what they wanted to say in a far more mature & accepting way than what you have. it's posts like that send threads spiraling into verbal insults & ruining it for those who actually want to discuss the topic.

as you were peoples :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    Dude shut up, you are an idiot.

yes but you said...united states is easy on guitar so let me
    see you...or where you just ...you know...pretending to be
    something you are not???
    i am just wondering and expecting a video on you tube
    ...from you playing united states....cause you said
    it is easy...
    jsaso wrote:
    yes but you said...united states is easy on guitar so let me
    see you...or where you just ...you know...pretending to be
    something you are not???
    i am just wondering and expecting a video on you tube
    ...from you playing united states....cause you said
    it is easy...

Ok dude, I'm not going to fucking post a youtube video of me playing guitar to prove to some random dude on the message board that I'm not a liar. I'm not "that guy." I don't care what you think, but United States is NOT a very difficult song to play on guitar. If you really care so much, listen to my band here: myspace.com/tchoupchupacabra
    Ok dude, I'm not going to fucking post a youtube video of me playing guitar to prove to some random dude on the message board that I'm not a liar. I'm not "that guy." I don't care what you think, but United States is NOT a very difficult song to play on guitar. If you really care so much, listen to my band here: myspace.com/tchoupchupacabra

well you are not half bad...but why no vocals?
    it tottaly kills the songs
    jsaso wrote:
    well you are not half bad...but why no vocals?
    it tottaly kills the songs

Those are just demos, we have just recently added a new vocalist/guitar player. So now you can finally shut up.
  • Get a room you two.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    can we please get back to the pumpkins' new album.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Anybody know if iTunes pre-orders are available for download at midnight? If not, what time? I've only listened to about four tracks so far. So fuckin excited to get my hands on it :D

I tried to get it at midnight last night. Waited until about 15 after and tried again and no dice.

I got up this morning around 6:30 and before i hopped in the shower i was able to download it at that point.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I like the album. Only listened to it 3 times, but with each listen it gets better.
    Agree with the comments on the production and I really don't like the art work, but overall I think it's great.
    The closest challenger to Dinosaur Jr for album of the year in my opinion.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    culot4 wrote:
    Billy goes and pulls that shit on Live Earth plugging the album like some kind of desperate asshole.

yea its amazing that people fail to realize musicians are in it for the $$$

class dismissed
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    jsaso wrote:
    IP BAN, delete thread
    not quite
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    So when do we get our code for the tix?!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • So when do we get our code for the tix?!

Probably the day before the pre-sale....i hope. Can't wait for Oct. 7, Detroit.

As for the album...I've only given it a full listen once. Can't say that i like it or dislike it at this point. We'll see after a few more listens

Btw, did anybody catch the Pumpkins on Letterman last night? I guess they're going to be on Fri. night as well.

"She fell funny"

• vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    There has been talk, stemming from statements made over the weekend, that this is all about money. I'll be the first to reinforce that statement by bitching about all the different versions of the album. WHY? Why do I have to download the album from iTunes, buy an album from Best Buy, and go to Target and buy a third copy just to get all of the songs. I consider myself a bit of a completist. I would love to hear them all and give them all a try, but there's no way I can justify to myself spending $30 for three copies of the album because they each have a different song. And that's not even getting into the fact that, as a consumer, my confidence is low due to the low quality of the solo album and the Zwan album that preceded Zeitgeist.

And then I get to thinking about my good friend who is a Pumpkins fiend. I start predicting that he will buy the normal 12 song version, the 78 page special edition, the iTunes edition, the Best Buy edition, the Target edition, and he'll probably try and hunt down a vinyl copy as well. That's 6 copies of the album that this fan will buy because that's how many different versions are offered. And he can't possibly be the only one that obsessed. It's a way to sell more records, and inflate the sales numbers.

anyway, does anyone have any strategic tips for me?
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
    I just downloaded all the bonus tracks from the Pumpkins message board.
    vedhead011 wrote:
    There has been talk, stemming from statements made over the weekend, that this is all about money. I'll be the first to reinforce that statement by bitching about all the different versions of the album. WHY? Why do I have to download the album from iTunes, buy an album from Best Buy, and go to Target and buy a third copy just to get all of the songs. I consider myself a bit of a completist. I would love to hear them all and give them all a try, but there's no way I can justify to myself spending $30 for three copies of the album because they each have a different song. And that's not even getting into the fact that, as a consumer, my confidence is low due to the low quality of the solo album and the Zwan album that preceded Zeitgeist.

And then I get to thinking about my good friend who is a Pumpkins fiend. I start predicting that he will buy the normal 12 song version, the 78 page special edition, the iTunes edition, the Best Buy edition, the Target edition, and he'll probably try and hunt down a vinyl copy as well. That's 6 copies of the album that this fan will buy because that's how many different versions are offered. And he can't possibly be the only one that obsessed. It's a way to sell more records, and inflate the sales numbers.

I selected the version with Zeitgeist the song because I liked it best out of the three. I will hunt down the others online. Simple as that. Billy is all about us downloading his shit on the internet.

And to counter the money hungry argument, check their ticket prices.

EDIT: It's not really that different from buying the CD singles of songs you already have to get the B-Sides really. One of them is on the Tarantula single and I'm sure the other two will be the other B-Sides.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    vedhead011 wrote:
    Yep, torrents, rapidshare, megaupload are your friends! ;)
  • vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    I just downloaded all the bonus tracks from the Pumpkins message board.

would you possibly have a link?
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • culot4 wrote:
    Just as I was starting to get back into the Pumpkins for the first time in a decade, Billy goes and pulls that shit on Live Earth plugging the album like some kind of desperate asshole. I still like Zeitgeist though, just not him.
    Why on Earth are there so many assholes that take Corgan a thousand times more seriously than he takes himself? Fucking god.

Zeitgeist is a great album but it's no masterpiece. I actually like the Machina's better.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Personally I love it. Glad they're back, gonna listen to this all day!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    vedhead011 wrote:
    would you possibly have a link?
    My man I can hook you up with all three mp3s if you shoot me an email. I warn you though.....Death From Above is fucking bad.....and I don't mean bad as good.
  • I love the new LP. I consider myself a pretty hard core collector. I am going to pick up the Best Buy, Target, iTunes and the LE Book. Pearl Jam, NIN, and SP are the only bands I usually buy multiple copies. To be honest though, whats the difference in them putting out the b-sides on overseas imports, or on the LP itself... Who really cares? Either way it's still going to cost me 10 bucks... Bands have done this for the past 50 years... It's nothing really new...

:O/
  • Ava17adore wrote:
    I love the new LP. I consider myself a pretty hard core collector. I am going to pick up the Best Buy, Target, iTunes and the LE Book. Pearl Jam, NIN, and SP are the only bands I usually buy multiple copies. To be honest though, whats the difference in them putting out the b-sides on overseas imports, or on the LP itself... Who really cares? Either way it's still going to cost me 10 bucks... Bands have done this for the past 50 years... It's nothing really new...

:O/
    You've got 24 posts and I believe all of them are about the Pumpkins.

:cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"