zeitgeist is the pumpkins 3rd grand masterpiece

itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
edited July 2007 in Other Music
i wish i could inject this album into my veins so it was playing 24/7 through my body
Look Alive,
See These Bones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Just as I was starting to get back into the Pumpkins for the first time in a decade, Billy goes and pulls that shit on Live Earth plugging the album like some kind of desperate asshole. I still like Zeitgeist though, just not him.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    it was a joke
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    culot4 wrote:
    Just as I was starting to get back into the Pumpkins for the first time in a decade, Billy goes and pulls that shit on Live Earth plugging the album like some kind of desperate asshole. I still like Zeitgeist though, just not him.

wow
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    culot4 wrote:
    dude it was a joke, stop bein a holier then thou fan, u sound like one of the many assholes on here
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

someone please explain what the joke was. To me it looked like a guy who took his band and put them on the biggest stage he could find to coincide with his album, and used a benefit show for his own alterior motives. I watched the concert all day and didn't hear one other musician plug their music. If it was a joke it was a tasteless one.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    culot4 wrote:
    someone please explain what the joke was. To me it looked like a guy who took his band and put them on the biggest stage he could find to coincide with his album, and used a benefit show for his own alterior motives. I watched the concert all day and didn't hear one other musician plug their music. If it was a joke it was a tasteless one.

How is that a bad thing? Its actually quite smart to plug your album, especially when you havent released a record as a band for 7 years.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

How is that a bad thing? Its actually quite smart to plug your album, especially when you havent released a record as a band for 7 years.

Not when you're supposed to be there to give the impression you care about the enviornment and to support a cause. it just made him look like an egotistical jackass.
    culot4 wrote:
    Not when you're supposed to be there to give the impression you care about the enviornment and to support a cause. it just made him look like an egotistical jackass.

i heard madonna REALY cares about nature
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    culot4 wrote:
    I watched the concert all day and didn't hear one other musician plug their music.

Alicia Keys did.
    And sorry, but Zeitgeist is nowhere near a masterpiece. It has some moments, but it isn't very good overall. At best it is an average album.

Which, after Zwan and the solo album, is a step up. There's promising stuff on here, but really, the last 6-7 years it seems Billy Corgan has been a lost musician searching for his sound.

That said, the live versions of Gossamer have been mind-blowing.
    AndySlash wrote:
    And sorry, but Zeitgeist is nowhere near a masterpiece. It has some moments, but it isn't very good overall. At best it is an average album.

Which, after Zwan and the solo album, is a step up. There's promising stuff on here, but really, the last 6-7 years it seems Billy Corgan has been a lost musician searching for his sound.

That said, the live versions of Gossamer have been mind-blowing.

zetigeist with neon bible and icky thump ...in top 3 albums in 2007...
    easy
    well thats like your opinion, man
    AndySlash wrote:
    well thats like your opinion, man

true...man
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Zeitgeist is a horrible album. It just isn't good. The production, lyrics, music all suck. Billy is trying too hard. I agress with everyting said in this allmusic.com review: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jcfoxzu5ldde

I'm so happy that Pearl Jam is a real band and they all contribute to songs, and Eddie isn't a dictator like Corgan.

Zeitgeist just falls flat and lacks the real feel of a Pumpkins album. If you call it a masterpiece, there is something wrong with you and you probably also listen to Hinder and Blue October. I'm a huge Pumpkins fans and really wanted to like the album but I don't. I already ordered the iTunes version, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have bought it after the leak.

Also in terms of best of 07...Zeitgeist doesn't have ANYTHING on QOTSA's Era Vulgaris...the BEST rock album of 07 by FAR.
    Zeitgeist is a horrible album. It just isn't good. The production, lyrics, music all suck. Billy is trying too hard. I agress with everyting said in this allmusic.com review: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jcfoxzu5ldde

I'm so happy that Pearl Jam is a real band and they all contribute to songs, and Eddie isn't a dictator like Corgan.

Zeitgeist just falls flat and lacks the real feel of a Pumpkins album. If you call it a masterpiece, there is something wrong with you and you probably also listen to Hinder and Blue October. I'm a huge Pumpkins fans and really wanted to like the album but I don't. I already ordered the iTunes version, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have bought it after the leak.

Also in terms of best of 07...Zeitgeist doesn't have ANYTHING on QOTSA's Era Vulgaris...the BEST rock album of 07 by FAR.

people who writte reviews are guys that were to bad
    to make it as musicians...and by the way...in in italia zeitgeist got 8/10, in slovenia 8,5/10 in croatia 9/10...
    so i guess...only uk press doesnt like the album...
    unncut...4/5 stars...sun...4/5 stars...daily mirror...4/5 stars...
    so...i guess...the rest od the world likes it...
    mtv germanys album of the month...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Considering it's coming out this Tuesday, I don't see the problem with mentioning it.

It's not like it's going to be out in a month or came out three months ago. It's in a few days. It seems appropriate to mention it!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    jsaso wrote:
    people who writte reviews are guys that were to bad
    to make it as musicians...and by the way...in in italia zeitgeist got 8/10, in slovenia 8,5/10 in croatia 9/10...
    so i guess...only uk press doesnt like the album...
    unncut...4/5 stars...sun...4/5 stars...daily mirror...4/5 stars...
    so...i guess...the rest od the world likes it...
    mtv germanys album of the month...

Haha...right. I'm a music writer and a musician, so you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. First you say critics aren't relevent and then you spout off reviews from other countries. I don't care. I think Zeitgeist sucks. I'm being honest and not buying into the whole SP fanboy thing. It's just not a good album.
    justam wrote:
    Considering it's coming out this Tuesday, I don't see the problem with mentioning it.

It's not like it's going to be out in a month or came out three months ago. It's in a few days. It seems appropriate to mention it!

yeah i agree...they are making to much of a deal...it was just a stupid joke...
    by the way...anybody from new york?
    there is a big zeppelin with a zeitgeist cover and it is flying around town...
    i have seen it ... just was picking up a donout at the 33rd and mappeles crossing and was suprised by that zeppelin
    Haha...right. I'm a music writer and a musician, so you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. First you say critics aren't relevent and then you spout off reviews from other countries. I don't care. I think Zeitgeist sucks. I'm being honest and not buying into the whole SP fanboy thing. It's just not a good album.

well if you make a record that is as good as zeitgeist le me know...
    ...musician :) ... i bet you could do the united states drumm bit in a flash...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

thats so funny and couldnt be further from the truth, ed has always been a dicator of some sorts.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

jsaso wrote:
    well if you make a record that is as good as zeitgeist le me know...
    ...musician :) ... i bet you could do the united states drumm bit in a flash...

Well I play guitar and US on guitar ain't that tough. But I hate stupid comments like "you can't say something bad about blah unless you do it yourself." Fuck that. It's my right as a consumer/american to voice my opinion and I am doing so. Fuck Zeitgeist.
    thats so funny and couldnt be further from the truth, ed has always been a dicator of some sorts.

But not to the point where he goes back and retracks everyone's instrumental parts minus the drums. The other members have some of say in the creation of the songs.
    But not to the point where he goes back and retracks everyone's instrumental parts minus the drums. The other members have some of say in the creation of the songs.

this thread is even worse then the 7 season of beverly hills 90210...
    closed the thread or at least lock it
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Zeitgeist isn't a masterpiece, but it doesn't suck either. Zeitgeist is good enough to beat albums like Adore and Machina. The first 3 songs are hard rocking and good songs. The 4th That's the Way is boring. Tarantula is ok again. Starz is one of the best songs on it, United States is the best song on Zeitgeist.

And then the trouble starts, Neverlost is fucking boring, Bright The Light is also a little bit boring and (Come On) Let's Go...I don't even know why this is on the album. For God And Country is a good song and the last song is a song like only the Pumpkins could end an album, but not really great.

From the extra tracks only Stellar is good. I even don't know why this song didn't made the album. With Stellar on the place of Neverlost and Gossamer on the place of (Come On) Let's go, this album would be far better. Zeitgeist is an ok. till good album, but masterpiece? no way!!! 3,5/5
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    culot4 wrote:

I couldnt believe he said that. I knew he was bad, but not THAT bad. He acts like a hip hop artist or some sh*t. Does he have NO f*cking morals?
  • who cares, the album sucks
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • A ton of artists plugged their albums, Alicia Keyes, Kelly Clarkson, Bon Jovi mentioned their new record... who cares, it's their job and they were donating their time for the cause.

As for the Pumpkins set, they were the only ones who weren't out there all jolly, they are rock stars and rock stars are supposed to be edgey, controversial so when they opened with United States and changed a lyric in Bullet I thought it was great... of course the network TV cut United States from the broadcast.

As for the album itself, I can see why some people don't like it (I do however), you gotta remember the Pumpkins have always cited 70's rock as their influence and every record except Adore has been produced to know end, so it's not much a surprise to me that Zeitgeist ends up this way!
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I'm glad that Billy plugged his album. That's why these musicains play these benefit gigs, to promote themselves!!! At least Billy had the balls to be honest and not pretend he was there to really save the Earth. Why did you guys watch yesterday? I watched to see a few bands I like play, not because I was interested in learning about recycling.
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I'm glad that Billy plugged his album. That's why these musicains play these benefit gigs, to promote themselves!!! At least Billy had the balls to be honest and not pretend he was there to really save the Earth. Why did you guys watch yesterday? I watched to see a few bands I like play, not because I was interested in learning about recycling.

Good point, its not like the few people that change their minds because of rockstar influence will save the planet anyways
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Klumpie wrote:
    Zeitgeist isn't a masterpiece, but it doesn't suck either. Zeitgeist is good enough to beat albums like Adore and Machina.

Agreed. It's #3 on my list (#4 if you count the Aeroplane box set).
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06