Is Nirvana the most important band since the Beatles

Comments

• dirtyT wrote:
    trying to compare Kurt's guitar talent to Mike's? Funny stuff!!

i'm trying to say there is an incomparable difference between coming up with a good solo or riff for someone ELSE's song and WRITING YOUR OWN GODDAMN SONG!

How many songs did\does Mike take credit for WRITING ...

LYRICS, MELODY, GUITAR, ETC ...

Kurt had quite a fucking few.

jeez.

And uh ... lets see ... Down is a REAL hard song to play ... i don't think Kurt could have EVER come up with something THAT complicated ... :rolleyes:

some of you need to wake up.

Most pearl jam is pretty easy, save some solos ...
    That's the most rediculous thing anyone's ever said in comparing Nirvana to Pearl Jam in a long time...dude, look at some of the songs McCready has written or helped write: Faithful, Given to Fly, Tremor Christ, Light Years, Inside Job, Marker in the Sand...McCready has all kinds of musical talent!! Kurt was really good with melody, but that was about the only real thing he had...

Faithful, Given to Fly, Tremor Christ
    these songs are NO HARDER THAN MOST ANY NIRVANA SONG
    Tremor Christ is MIND NUMBINGLY EASY ... Kurt had harder songs to play on Bleach!
    Faithful is a cakewalk and given to fly ain't much either.
    The next two you possibly get a "moderate difficulty" rating on and inside job, i dunno ... could be a bit harder,
    but i've never tried it cause i don't really like it myself.
    :)

and Kurt could play a mean solo (of sorts) himself!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Kurt was really good with melody, but that was about the only real thing he had...

Melody is utterly crucial. Charles Mingus told a story of being on a tour bus one time, with a lot of jazz musicians. One new, hep cat schooled in post-Ornette hard bop walked down the aisle of the bus and stood over the swing/early bop veteran Roy Eldridge in his seat. The new cat blew the most complex, lightning fast and harmonically sophisticated riffs he could think of, right into Roy's face, with as much sneery aggression as he could muster. When the young player was done, Roy looked up, completely nonplussed, and yawned, "Yeah, but can you sing me a song?"

Kurt's playing was lyrical, and it always sang a song.
  • Melody is utterly crucial. Charles Mingus told a story of being on a tour bus one time, with a lot of jazz musicians. One new, hep cat schooled in post-Ornette hard bop walked down the aisle of the bus and stood over the swing/early bop veteran Roy Eldridge in his seat. The new cat blew the most complex, lightning fast and harmonically sophisticated riffs he could think of, right into Roy's face, with as much sneery aggression as he could muster. When the young player was done, Roy looked up, completely nonplussed, and yawned, "Yeah, but can you sing me a song?" Kurt's playing was lyrical, and sang a song.

Thanks fins.
    It AMAZES me the arguments people will use to try and demean Kurt.

He WAS a fucking genius. Stop trying to ignore it people.
    Most bands would KILL to have ONE INFECTIOUS MELODY... Kurt gave you FOUR GODDAMN ALBUMS OF THEM!

WTF do you want?
    Maybe it's not your cup of tea but it was crazy good talent and will continue to be thought of as so by anyone with half an un-biased brain!
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Melody is utterly crucial. Charles Mingus told a story of being on a tour bus one time, with a lot of jazz musicians. One new, hep cat schooled in post-Ornette hard bop walked down the aisle of the bus and stood over the swing/early bop veteran Roy Eldridge in his seat. The new cat blew the most complex, lightning fast and harmonically sophisticated riffs he could think of, right into Roy's face, with as much sneery aggression as he could muster. When the young player was done, Roy looked up, completely nonplussed, and yawned, "Yeah, but can you sing me a song?"

Kurt's playing was lyrical, and sang a song.

Pearl Jam has plenty of melody in their music, plus some more!!!! Sure not all of their songs are catchy, but it's nice to have something different every now and then...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • This thread has definatley tapped a major issue in the psyche of a lot of Pearl Jam fans.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    It seems that each decade the rock media picks a band(s) to overhype. Here's how I see it. I'll give you the medias pick(s) and I'll list the rock fans pick(s).

50's
    Media-Elvis
    Rock Fans-Chuck Berry

60's
    Media-The Beatles and Bob Dylan
    Rock Fans-The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and CCR

70's
    Media-The Ramones, Sex pistols, and Bruce Sprinsteen
    Rock Fans-Led Zeppelin, The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith

80's
    Media-U2, The Clash, and The Police
    Rock Fans-AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, and Ozzy

90's
    Media-Nirvana and Radiohead
    Rock Fans- Pearl Jam and Oasis
  • You put GnR in the Rock Fans pick not the Media pick?

:D:D:D
  • for me nirvana have a few good songs however i do believe the status they seem to get these days is unfortunately because of kurts suicide.
  • Pearl Jam has plenty of melody in their music, plus some more!!!! Sure not all of their songs are catchy, but it's nice to have something different every now and then...

Sure, they have, but Nirvana's melodies have really seized the popular consciousness by the bollocks. I don't think they did it with quite the same counter-cultural aggression as early punk in the mid to late seventies, but they seem to sum up the entire feel of late 1991 to early 1994 as a historical moment, more than Clinton coming into power, the rise of Bill Gates, the continuing collapse of Sovietism or whatever girlfriend I was seeing at the time. ;)

In terms of musical importance, although Jimi Hendrix's career ran near enough parallel with the late Beatles period (September 1966- September 1970), he was the father of whatever transmogrifications pop (the post rock and roll, moptop beat sound) made into rock, post-rock and beyond.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'd go with The Ramones or Run DMC.

For guitar playing, Hendrix.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    They're the most important band in popular musical culture since the Beatles and no band had the same impact since Nirvana. Beatles and Nirvana were far from being the greatest musician or the most talented musicians of all time. But if it's about the impact on culture, i say yes, Nirvana is the most important band since the Beatles.

I laugh at those saying Nirvana are important because of Kurt's suicide, i also laugh when i read that Nirvana only influenced bands like ... Nickelback, when this band alone sounds a lot more like Pearl Jam than they do sound like Nirvana... but nevermind... ;) .

BTW i'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but i do remember very well that music changed a lot after their entrance in the mainstream music culture. I know that many bands were out there making better music at the time, but none had the massive mainstream impact Nirvana had.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Something I'm not gonna bother to quote..

SO..

Kurt vs. Mike writing.

Kurt - Decent lyricist, even above average. With a few exceptions the music he writes is extraordinarily basic though. There's hardly anything imaginative or creative about it (there ARE exceptions mind you - also the way he started to break out of crappy half-baked power chord riffs with In Utero is one reason I say it's his best work).

Mike doesn't write much, but his music is exceptional. Music doesn't have to be hard to play to be well written. He has the ability to capture fairly unique feelings with simple chord progressions and melodies. Even Down, that little guitar riff in the verse just sticks in your head and makes you feel good.

I wouldn't really call one of them better than the other for a lot of reasons though.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Nirvana were huge media type hits but they weren't important or that influentual. It's like saying Artic Monkeys are important. They are a big band but the only people who will take inspiration from them are copy cats. Artic Monkeys didn't start this new wave indie-emo-crybaby-bollocks but they are one of the ones who will be remembered most and are a huge media hit. Same with Nirvana.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Realistically, the Ramones.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
    to answer the original question: no.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Sawyer wrote:
    ...nope, the most overhyped band ever.....if Kurt did not become headless, they would never get the glory they do.

You do know that they were huge when they were around right?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    mole1985 wrote:
    The Beatles changed music and inspired countless of other bands and continue to do so today. All the bands that mention nirvana as their influence are generally crap i.e. Nickleback, it's that kinda standard y'know.

It doesnt matter if they mention them as an influence........every newer band is influenced by them directly or indirectly. Popular music would not be the same today if it wasnt for Nirvana, much of the other great music at the time would not have made it big if it wasnt for Nirvana. To doubt their importance is just ignorant, look at all the facts before you claim that Nirvana wasnt an incredibly important band.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Nirvana wasn't influentual or important in the grand scheme of things, in today's music and any influence seems to have been a negative one really. But nirvana was important to individuals and they helped people (including me) get into listening music and broadiningtheir horizons. Today's bands that have a clear nirvana influence Nickleback, Inme, Avril Lavigne are generally, ingeneral a big pile of poo.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    yes they light the fuse to an explosion but in no way were they the best at it and i have been thru 2 of those explosions the first being THE SEX PISTOLS ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Sawyer wrote:
    ...nope, the most overhyped band ever.....if Kurt did not become headless, they would never get the glory they do.

Alot of artist are hailed more in death than in their living lifetime. Elvis and Nirvana are such examples.

I don't think that it was Nirvana alone that powered the grunge movement. Pearl Jam were equally as big and alot of the fella's older than me in my youth( I was too young to get into pearl jam at the time) all had the bands long hair and shirt look.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    fada wrote:
    Alot of artist are hailed more in death than in their living lifetime. Elvis and Nirvana are such examples.

I don't think that it was Nirvana alone that powered the grunge movement. Pearl Jam were equally as big and alot of the fella's older than me in my youth( I was too young to get into pearl jam at the time) all had the bands long hair and shirt look.

I don't think Elivs is a good example. He was an absolute icon in his lifetime.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I don't think Elivs is a good example. He was an absolute icon in his lifetime.

so were nirvana & kurt.
    that's what pisses me off about these arguments.
    they all neglect the fact that nirvana were absolutely huge and representative of a fucking generation DURING their short career ... Nirvana worship was not born of Kurt's death ... maybe it sealed the deal but they were already at rock god status ...

you don't have a whole industry sucking at your ass-hole ... writing countless bullshit article after bullshit article, devoting ENTIRE zines to your photos and pointless quotes ... jesus people ... it WAS a cultural phenomenon ...

i think most of these stupid arguments stem from the mouths of fucking ignorant kids who weren't even cognizant of their own thoughts during KCs life time ... for them to talk about the relative or perceived importance of a band that met it's demise before their mental arrival is just crap ...

and if you were old enough to appreciate it and somehow didn't ... then i just shake my head.

:( :( :(

i don't know why i feel forced into these debates, but it's like no one will pony up to defend the fuckers anymore. nirvana were and remain important to what rock n roll has shaped in to ... the poppy sound of distorted guitars was never a mainstream item before their arrival ... and it is THE PARADIGM which most all current rock is based on.

sweet lord.
    figure it out.
    do the math.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    It's funny how so may on here have bought into the Nirvana hype. How about naming me all these great bands that Nirvana inspired. If Nirvana had never existed Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, RHCP, NIN, STP, AIC, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, and all the other big bands from the early 90's would have still broken through and become famous. The only thing Nirvana really did that was culturally relevant was usher in an era of flannel crap. The way I see it those of us who were in Junior High School at the time got cheated because the girls dressed grungy instead of slutty like today.

The second most influential band of all time has to be Black Sabbath.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    yeah its so stupid the antinirvana and antikurt backlash on this board. Its so stupid.

And I stand by my assertion most of the haters on this board are pissed off that Kurt and nirvana are and always will be remembered and basically sainted and worshipped,

while Pearl jam although they deserve every bit of praise that nirvana and kurt get,

lets face it y'all

when its all said and done, and the books are written, and its 2030, Nirvana and Kurt will be considered legends, while unfortunatly eddie and pearl jam wont get the praise they deserve'

and some people are bitter and pissed off about that.

Which is so stupid. Its not kurts fault he is praised like he is, and its not eddie's fault that he isnt praised like that.

This is so second grade!

My band is better than your band! No mine is! No mine!

The point of the thread-to discuss Petty's argument that Nirvana were the most important band since the beatles.

Obviously on this board, no such argument can hold water.

Its like suggesting you dislike a pearl jam song. You are a nonfan and arent a true fan.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Kurt didn't want to be praised. Kurt didn't want the fame. Kurt didn't want to be considered a genius.

Kurt was an artist and an inspiration to many...and he didn't like it.

However many will make the argument that he was the greatest ever and that Nirvana is as relevent as the Beatles.

If it has to be argued, then it could be so.
    Let the idiots argue while I continue to enjoy the small amount of material Nirvana produced.

I love the music then and now,
    every fuckin song

Who cares what I think?

edit: I like Dave Grohl but..............where's the feeling?
    the Minions
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    dunkman wrote:

EDIT: just read what Hitch-Hiker said and Led Zeppelin springs to mind.

Led zep have had a more musical, social, cultural impact than Nirvana... Led Zep influenced so much and so many that Nirvana never will.. Nirvana werent diverse enough and they left very little in terms of musical legacy for bands to be inspired by.

WOW...I can't believe it took 3 pages! Zeppelin was FAR more influential than Nirvana.

Thanks dunkman ; )
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • This is my experience and two cents for what its worth. When Nevermind came out I was senior in high school. I loved music and listened to Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, was starting to get into the Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.. I also enjoyed in my high school years the metal scene. Anything from glam (which was pop mainstream, Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue) to Metallica, Guns N Roses, etc..

Nirvana came along and to me was the truest music I had heard in a long time. Catchy riffs, rocking songs and Kurts desparate, shrieking, wailing voice. The hardness of it mixed in with the catchiness, popiness of the songs made it to me something special. Plus I think most of it was just heavy with dark overtones and they looked like us. No glam, no makeup just straight up rock n roll. I read so many people dissing Nirvana because they weren't talented. To me though they led the revolution from glam back to music that meant something.

Maybe not as important as the Beatles but fucking A very important to me, my life, and many of my friends lives.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I think they were the to the 90's generation. I love them. I love Pearl Jam more. But What Nirvana did was amazing and I thank them for opening the doors.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • when its all said and done, and the books are written, and its 2030, Nirvana and Kurt will be considered legends

Agree and they completely deserve it.

I think its crap to assume they would not be what they are today if Kurt didn't blow his head head off. Nirvana- In Utero debuted at #1, Unplugged was a huge success. Who's to say that they wouldn't be making even more kick ass albulms now? How can you assume that they are overhyped because he blew his head off?
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    I never said they were the biggest band in the world. In fact I made a point to say that they werent. Read my post before responding. Kinda important if you want to make a point about my post.

Secondly, do you disagree or agree with my assertion that this Nirvana and Kurt bashing is a sort of whining and longing and anger that Ed and Pearl Jam arent held in the same reguard.

Who on this board would say Pearl Jam are the most overhyped band ever? Who on this board would say Pearl Jam's songs are okay, but most are "meh"?
    Who on this board would say they would be upset if when the history books were written, that pearl Jam was called the "most important band in the grunge scene".

Its kinda funny actually.

Because I cant think of a single person on this board who would be upset with Pearl Jam being called the most important band in the grunge scene, and getting the hype and praise that Nirvana gets

Its a double standard.

Nirvana swayed popular music away from big cock rock and started a short period of time where decent music was popular. To think that any of Nirvana's music touches anything done by Pearl Jam is laughable. Nirvana were undoubtedly more influential in turning the tide of popularity from a certain genre to another, but they are nowhere near as influential as far as creating music. Pearl Jam will be remembered for having a great catalog of music. Nirvana will be remembered for igniting a shift in popular music.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...