Is Nirvana the most important band since the Beatles

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
So says Tom Petty.

I know writing that sentence is equal to blasphemy especially on this board. But given the fact we all love and worship pearl jam on this board, lets face it, they are important, but in the media and fandom department nirvana will always have bigger praise heaped on them, right or wrong.

There is no denying however the impact of Nirvana, of Kurt Cobain, of Nevermind, Incesticide, and In Utero, and Unplugged on the cultural landscape, on the music and rock world, and on society in general.

I am inclined to agree with Tom petty. Nirvana and Kurt werent the greatest band in history and had their share of bad or crappy songs, but in my mind, at least, they are the most important band to come out in my lifetime.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    your thoughts, the garrett.......:p
  • No!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    frankly I think all the Nirvana and Kurt hatred on the board is anger that Pearl Jam and Eddie werent and arent revered and hailed as much as Nirvana and Kurt were.

As I said, Pearl Jam is important, a hugely important band. That goes without saying. But come on people, lets not kid ourselves. The effect Nirvana and Kurt had on everything was pretty amazing.

Take it from eddie himself, "I dont think anyone of us, would be here if it wasnt for Kurt Cobain".

Pearl Jam should be praised by critics and fans in the future, but I think Nirvana should be classified as ushering in the rock revolution of the early 90's.

And sure Eddie was called a spokesman of a generation too, there is no question Ten, Vs and Vitalogy had a major impact in the 90's.
    if Nirvana isnt the most important band since the beatles, what are they then? They may be overhyped, but I doubt it.

I am sure all of you wouldnt be saying Pearl Jam was overhyped if the situation was reversed and Pearl jam had the praise and adoring, that Nirvana and Kurt seem to get.

Ed and Kurt made up, why cant Pearl Jam and Nirvana fans? Both bands are important, and should be appreciated as such
  • frankly I think all the Nirvana and Kurt hatred on the board is anger that Pearl Jam and Eddie werent and arent revered and hailed as much as Nirvana and Kurt were.
    No, it's because Nirvana wasn't that great of a band. Their impact was huge, but the music was just 'meh' most of the time.

I love em, but they're far from the greatest band in the world.

And quite frankly I think Dave is more talented than Kurt would have ever been.

p.s. Their impact WAS huge, but they are without a shadow of a doubt the most overhyped band in history. And this is coming from someone who's first love affair with music was with Nirvana,.. a long time, big fan. But an honest fan.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    name another band that changed the cultural landscape and really ushered in a new era during the last 15 years? Name another band that really kickstarted a movement? Name another band who has had a lead singer with the exception of Ed, who has had as much charisma, and charm and a way of describing the pain of his generation?

Nirvana were and still are big. If they werent extremely important what the hell were they?

Its funny, on the Nevermind thread people acted like that was one of the more important records to come out of the last 15 years. Yet, when we start suggesting that the band itself, and Kurt had a major impact, no, they are overhyped.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    The Beatles changed music and inspired countless of other bands and continue to do so today. All the bands that mention nirvana as their influence are generally crap i.e. Nickleback, it's that kinda standard y'know.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    No.

And it's not because I love Pearl Jam. But, no.
    Cock Fight.
    No, it's because Nirvana wasn't that great of a band. Their impact was huge, but the music was just 'meh' most of the time.

I love em, but they're far from the greatest band in the world.

And quite frankly I think Dave is more talented than Kurt would have ever been.

p.s. Their impact WAS huge, but they are without a shadow of a doubt the most overhyped band in history.

I never said they were the biggest band in the world. In fact I made a point to say that they werent. Read my post before responding. Kinda important if you want to make a point about my post.

Secondly, do you disagree or agree with my assertion that this Nirvana and Kurt bashing is a sort of whining and longing and anger that Ed and Pearl Jam arent held in the same reguard.

Who on this board would say Pearl Jam are the most overhyped band ever? Who on this board would say Pearl Jam's songs are okay, but most are "meh"?
    Who on this board would say they would be upset if when the history books were written, that pearl Jam was called the "most important band in the grunge scene".

Its kinda funny actually.

Because I cant think of a single person on this board who would be upset with Pearl Jam being called the most important band in the grunge scene, and getting the hype and praise that Nirvana gets

Its a double standard.
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    It is impossible to say that one band is so important that it defined the "grunge" movement of Seattle. Numerous factors influenced the development of the phenomenon beyond the influecne of a single band regardless if it is Nirvana and Pearl Jam. You go to look beyond these groups and look at the hunderds of other bands making music in the area at the time.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • name another band that changed the cultural landscape and really ushered in a new era during the last 15 years? Name another band that really kickstarted a movement? Name another band who has had a lead singer with the exception of Ed, who has had as much charisma, and charm and a way of describing the pain of his generation?

Nirvana were and still are big. If they werent extremely important what the hell were they?

Its funny, on the Nevermind thread people acted like that was one of the more important records to come out of the last 15 years. Yet, when we start suggesting that the band itself, and Kurt had a major impact, no, they are overhyped.
    Impact: Huge.

Music: sub-par.

Nevermind: I only really listen to half of it nowadays,.. lots of filler. But it's great nonetheless.

In Utero: Way better than Nevermind.

Unplugged: Fantastic, but Alice's unplugged destroyed it. Funny though how the best songs were covers (meatpuppets, ledbelly). But they were damn good.

So read carefulle Che, I love this band, and I'm not denying the impact, but the music just wasn't that great - especially if you compare them to their contemporaries.

"Make our day"
    its just so funny. For years this board has been almost vehemently opposed to any assertion that Nirvana and Kurt somehow were insanely important in rock music.

Again, how can Nevermind be one of the most important records in the last 15 years, but Nirvana not get the props on this board they rightly deserve.
    I agree with Ben Harpers assertion that pearl Jam is the best band in the world, and have actually posted that a few times. But how many people disagreed with Ben when he said it? How many of you did? I didnt disagree.

Yet when someone posts about the Arcade Fire being the greatest band in the world, no, Arcade Fire is overhyped. They are crap people on the board say.

Is that not hypocritical?

Its obvious we all love Pearl Jam, but to act like this is the only band worthy of praise is ludicrus and Ed himself would vehemently argue that many other bands in Seattle had a huge impact besides Pearl Jam.
  • I never said they were the biggest band in the world. In fact I made a point to say that they werent. Read my post before responding. Kinda important if you want to make a point about my post.
    I was just making a general statement.
    Secondly, do you disagree or agree with my assertion that this Nirvana and Kurt bashing is a sort of whining and longing and anger that Ed and Pearl Jam arent held in the same reguard.
    Disagree. Pearl jam was a different kind of band that spawns fans with different music tastes. Why would any of us be bitter? Most of us are Nirvana fans anyway.

edit: Also, Pearl Jam would be 100 times as big as nirvana if they hadn't deliberatley thrown themselves out of the limelight. They would've broken up over a decade ago, but they'd be bigger. It's not really a question of who gets the highest reguard, Pearl Jam played it smart and I'm glad they did. I can do without all that fame.
    Because I cant think of a single person on this board who would be upset with Pearl Jam being called the most important band in the grunge scene, and getting the hype and praise that Nirvana gets

Its a double standard.
    Pearl Jam had a complexity, depth, range, and versatility that Nirvana did not. Even Soundgarden and Alice couldn't touch em in that sense. Not to mention they've been unbeleivable their entire careers and are currently, 16 years later, still getting better live. Plus their other credentials that I'm sure you're aware of being on this board.

It's not a double standard, Kurt wrote alt/punk music and some not-too-terrible lyrics (often great), but Soundgarden, Alice, and especially Pearl Jam mopped the floor with them on all levels.

"Make our day"
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i'm reading 'important' as 'influential', unless tom petty meant it in a different way. the beatles broke up in 1970. there were a LOT of bands that got together and made music since then, who probably were more influential on music in general. to say nirvana was the most important *since* the beatles? in my opinion, nope.
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I personally think AIC and Mastodon are.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Are you actually reading people's replies here?

Yes, Nirvana were very important and made a huge impact. No, I don't like them. I never have. Before I got into Pearl Jam, I could never understand the fascination with them Nirvana. I just don't like the music very much. I, like many people, feel that Nirvana's success and impact far exaggerates their musical talent.

Critics hyping up any band annoys the hell out of me. But what gets to me the most is seeing people, people who have little to passing interest in music, wearing Nirvana t-shirts and hoodies. If they are really big fans of their music, then fair enough, but if they are just wearing something with the name Nirvana on because they think its cool, they should take it off. That goes for any band. I have a friend who has a Ramones t-shirt, and when I asked him if he was a fan, he said he had the greatest hits.

If Pearl Jam were hyped up to the level that Nirvana are, they wouldn't be the band they are now. They wouldn't have the fans they do now. If people started walking around with PJ shirts on because they thought it was the cool thing to do, it would anger me so much. And no, none of this is bitterness that PJ and Ed don't get the attention that Nirvana do. Why would we care either way? Most PJ fans love them for the music, and don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks, so it really makes little difference.

I don't necessarily agree with Ben Harper on PJ being the best band in the world. It's all subjective, and how can you possibly judge who is the best band in the world? It's a stupid title in the first place. Pearl Jam are my favourite band, but I would never tell anyone else that they were better than a band they liked, or that my musical taste was better than theirs.

Why can't you accept that people simply do not agree with you? Does there have to be an underlying reason? And if there does...why not opt for the most obvious one, the fact that they just don't like Nirvana that much.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    So says Tom Petty.

I know writing that sentence is equal to blasphemy especially on this board. But given the fact we all love and worship pearl jam on this board, lets face it, they are important, but in the media and fandom department nirvana will always have bigger praise heaped on them, right or wrong.

There is no denying however the impact of Nirvana, of Kurt Cobain, of Nevermind, Incesticide, and In Utero, and Unplugged on the cultural landscape, on the music and rock world, and on society in general.

I am inclined to agree with Tom petty. Nirvana and Kurt werent the greatest band in history and had their share of bad or crappy songs, but in my mind, at least, they are the most important band to come out in my lifetime.

i would whole-heartedly agree with you. in my opinion, without nirvana/nevermind/smells like teen spirit the wall of michael jackson and pop hair metal would not have been broken allow bands like pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins, etc to get wider exposure.

for me it was nirvana and then the other aforementioned seattle bands and then the pumpkins and the breeders and cracker and r.e.m. and then the second wave of stuff like stp and bush. before nirvana i was listening to kasey kasem and the top 40.

to say nevermind has filler is crazy. it is like saying ten or siamese dream has filler. and to say that nirvana and cobain would be nothing if he didn't kill himself is just plain stupid. by those lines hendrix would suck if he put out a few more records.

like what you like and don't worry about what other people think.
  • JSBE wrote:
    i
    to say nevermind has filler is crazy. it is like saying ten or siamese dream has filler.
    Nevermind isn't half the record SD is. And Ten is pretty damn solid throughout.. I use the term 'filler' lightly here though.. I just think the second half lags a bit. Point being that I think In Utero is a much better record.

"Make our day"
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Nirvana but they're the most overhyped band of all time. The media sold Kurt as the voice of a generation after he killed himself. Kurt wanted to be memorialized in death so like a smart little student of rock he shot himself at 27 so he could get himself grouped in with Jim, Jimi, and Janis. If Eddie had died at 27 instead of Kurt he would have been immortalized in the same way. Pearl Jam was a bigger band than Nirvana at the time of Kurts suicide, and "Ten" has outsold "Nevermind", but the self righteous rock media likes to now tell us that Nirvana was the biggest band ever from Seattle.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Nirvana but they're the most overhyped band of all time. The media sold Kurt as the voice of a generation after he killed himself. Kurt wanted to be memorialized in death so like a smart little student of rock he shot himself at 27 so he could get himself grouped in with Jim, Jimi, and Janis. If Eddie had died at 27 instead of Kurt he would have been immortalized in the same way. Pearl Jam was a bigger band than Nirvana at the time of Kurts suicide, and "Ten" has outsold "Nevermind", but the self righteous rock media likes to now tell us that Nirvana was the biggest band ever from Seattle.

Operaman on "Ten" outselling "Nevermind": "Nirvanaaaa, kiss-a my ass-o"

"Make our day"
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I agree with Ben Harpers assertion that pearl Jam is the best band in the world, and have actually posted that a few times. But how many people disagreed with Ben when he said it? How many of you did? I didnt disagree.

I did. I still do. I love Pearl Jam. But they are not the best.
    Cock Fight.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Sure they may have not had the talent of, say, Soundgarden, but Nirvana was a great fucking band with great fucking songwriting. Nevermind is far and away better than any single album PJ has put out, there's no filler on it. Every song is fucking ace. Eddie even said that their album was better.

The amount of hate they get on this board is confusing to say the least.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    name another band that changed the cultural landscape and really ushered in a new era during the last 15 years? Name another band that really kickstarted a movement?
    green day and the ramones come to mind. yes i think if kurt hadnt killed himself they would never been had such ass kissing from people in the music biz or from fans of music.yes u could say the doors are overhyped but i didnt see nirvana beeing banned from cities
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    When Eddie Vedder said Pearl Jam wouldn't be where they are without Nirvana, you could also say that none of them would be where they were if it weren't for Soundgarden.
    People will talk about Green River, Skin Yard, U-Men, The Melvins etc. But Sub Pop was set up specifically for Soundgarden!! Then they were the first of the Seattle bands to sign to a major label.
    So, in my opinion, although they didn't have the comercial success of others at the time, were the biggest influence.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Most important band since The Beatles:

Run DMC
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    no

no band is more 'important' than the Beatles
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Is Nirvana the most important band since the Beatles?

what an hilarious concept. the beatles were completely over-rated imo and nirvana were ok but nothing special. cobain and co were in the right place at the right time.

time for the old folks home mr petty!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Arctangent wrote:
    Is Nirvana the most important band since the Beatles?

what an hilarious concept. the beatles were completely over-rated imo and nirvana were ok but nothing special. cobain and co were in the right place at the right time.

time for the old folks home mr petty!

I agree that Nirvana was a case of being in the right place at the right time. But The Beatles, overrated? Tell that to every band since them who owe their careers to them.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    frankly I think all the Nirvana and Kurt hatred on the board is anger that Pearl Jam and Eddie werent and arent revered and hailed as much as Nirvana and Kurt were.

As I said, Pearl Jam is important, a hugely important band. That goes without saying. But come on people, lets not kid ourselves. The effect Nirvana and Kurt had on everything was pretty amazing.

Take it from eddie himself, "I dont think anyone of us, would be here if it wasnt for Kurt Cobain".

Pearl Jam should be praised by critics and fans in the future, but I think Nirvana should be classified as ushering in the rock revolution of the early 90's.

And sure Eddie was called a spokesman of a generation too, there is no question Ten, Vs and Vitalogy had a major impact in the 90's.
    Che, I don't usually agree with your political views, but in this case I agree with you 100%