Tool

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i've always though tool was too pretentious to actually be a fan of.

well it helps to be pretentious yourself. ;):p:D

thats why i like them so much. :rolleyes:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i saw tool in baltimore and atlantic city this past weekend. i'm not quite sure how i ended up at a concert in baltimore (again)...

but WOW... great shows. they played flood on friday, which was amazing. they replaced in with right in two on saturday (my favorite track from 10,000 days). they also added the pot to saturday's setlist, which was somewhat of a surprise since they hadn't been playing it (and it broke up the normal setlist order).

they were jamming/altering the songs more than usual, it seemed. there were very specific structural differences in the way the songs were presented each night. it's incredible that a band with such complex material can pull off something like that.

and although i've never really cared too much about light shows/lasers/special effects, i have to say that the visuals during wings for marie/10,000 days were just spectacular.

for anyone going to see these guys in the near future, the opening band is called melt-banana. unless you're a fan of atonal noise that vaguely resembles the sound of parrots being slaughtered, you can do yourself a favor and skip this one. the drummer and bassist were alright, i suppose.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    for anyone going to see these guys in the near future, the opening band is called melt-banana. unless you're a fan of atonal noise that vaguely resembles the sound of parrots being slaughtered, you can do yourself a favor and skip this one. the drummer and bassist were alright, i suppose.

So what time did Tool take the stage? I am quite sure that I am going Saturday night and wouldn't mind missing the first band. Although, we might buy tickets at the door so maybe we shouldn't be too late.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    if any of you are on youkanland....there's a great dvd up from sheps in london....circa '94
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So what time did Tool take the stage? I am quite sure that I am going Saturday night and wouldn't mind missing the first band. Although, we might buy tickets at the door so maybe we shouldn't be too late.

When i saw them they went on at 9:20 opening band was 8.

I would make sure to be there an hour after the opening band just to be safe.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • So what time did Tool take the stage? I am quite sure that I am going Saturday night and wouldn't mind missing the first band. Although, we might buy tickets at the door so maybe we shouldn't be too late.

get there by 9:00 at the latest. that's been the scheduled start time for most of the shows.

they usually end up taking the stage between 9:05 and 9:20.
    We saw Tool Saturday night at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau, Mo. I really enjoyed the show. We arrived at about 8:20 p.m. and got floor tickets at the box office. They were 2nd row from the back, but both my husband and I are tall so we were pleasantly surprised that we got such good tickets that late. Those tickets must have been held back because the center (although a small venue) appeared almost full.

We missed the opening act upon the advise of another poster in this thread. After reading a review I am glad we missed it. I don't think it is our type of music.

As to Tool I really enjoyed it. I have only two albums, Lateralus and 10,000 Days, so there were several songs that I did not recognize. I have to admit I got sort of bored towards the end. They played some songs (all in a row) that seemed to me to slow the momentum. Maybe because I wasn't all that familiar with the songs. But they perked up at the end. The light show was great, especially the green "nets" overhead. They came on stage about 9:05 and played till almost 11pm. They didn't play "The Pot" and I wanted to hear that. I loved the stage set up. It looks like a picture frame that displays four photos. Each of the members is located in the middle of a frame, there is a video display as background in each of the frames - very entertaining and downright artistic in my opinion.

My husband has never really liked the music and he got really bored. He enjoyed the stage set up and the light show, but would have left early if I had given the nod. He is not really into music all that much though.

I am glad I had the opportunity to see Tool despite the $54.00 per ticket price. I didn't even look at the t-shirts after someone told me that the women's shirts were $40.00 each. I have a closet full of t's - don't need another one that badly.

All prior posters: thanks for the advice and sharing of info.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    That is cool that you enjoyed the show.

The songs from the 10,000 days album seems to drag the life out of this tour's shows. a lot of times they seem to have long drawn out slow intro's and by the time they pick up the pace you are already losing interest.

Still a good show when i saw them i wish they would pep up the setlist a little though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Can't wait to see 'em in Chicago (northwest 'burbs) on June 27th.

Hoping to hear something from Opiate. Pushit would be nice too.
    Sawyer wrote:
    see ya there....sears centre is cool and do not rule out morello being there given that he and adam are both from libertyville.....more than once i have seen tom out at bars.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot, Morello was at Cape. I didn't even realize who it was until I read the review today. I just know that Maynard said thanks to Tom and Phil?? One of them had on a surgical mask or something.. I was at the back of the floor and my contacts were dirty so I didn't have a clear picture.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 378
    intodeep wrote:
    That is cool that you enjoyed the show.

The songs from the 10,000 days album seems to drag the life out of this tour's shows. a lot of times they seem to have long drawn out slow intro's and by the time they pick up the pace you are already losing interest.

Still a good show when i saw them i wish they would pep up the setlist a little though.
    i can't help but wondering if those songs drag because they suck so bad. yes, that is it
    Lets show some love for them.

An unconventional band, who in the words of the great zack de la rocha when talking about patti smith, "they are more concerned about moments than making hits"

they make odd, nonlinear, and abstract videos that they refuse to appear in.

They take great pains to make music that is powerful

They talk about topics most current rock music wouldnt dare broach-Carl Jung, genetics, spirituality

their music is extremely complex, even to the point of making one song tie into the fibonocci sequence.

They are a great band who are more into the music, than the money. And for that they are admirable.
    if it took me five years to make music that bad i would go back to designing pet stores. maynard is an asshole
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    one thing i will never understand is why if someone doens't like a band, they have to insist that they suck. is it me or is this just ignorant? i mean, they suck? tool sucks? come on man, even if you don't like them, you have to admit they are very talented musicians, artists who don't follow the mainstream, and make music that they want to, not what everyone else wants them to? and if other's enjoy it, like it, fantastic! i mean, i dont prefer to listen to kelly clarkson, for example, but i wouldn't say she sucks. i mean she has talent, and makes music alot of people enjoy. i dunno, i guess it just pisses me off when you say a band SUCKS because you don't like them. you don't like them, don't listen to them, and don't bother reading a thread about them. i mean i always skip the kelly clarkson ones :-)

btw, i love tool.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    It's amazing how a full listen to Aenima can rekindle my love of this band... I think i've taken a year break from it... and its still as amazing as ever...

I suggest everyone to to do the same at as high a volume as possible!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    It's amazing how a full listen to Aenima can rekindle my love of this band... I think i've taken a year break from it... and its still as amazing as ever...

I suggest everyone to to do the same at as high a volume as possible!
    Yeah that album is one of my favorites ever.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    one thing i will never understand is why if someone doens't like a band, they have to insist that they suck. is it me or is this just ignorant? i mean, they suck? tool sucks? come on man, even if you don't like them, you have to admit they are very talented musicians, artists who don't follow the mainstream, and make music that they want to, not what everyone else wants them to? and if other's enjoy it, like it, fantastic! i mean, i dont prefer to listen to kelly clarkson, for example, but i wouldn't say she sucks. i mean she has talent, and makes music alot of people enjoy. i dunno, i guess it just pisses me off when you say a band SUCKS because you don't like them. you don't like them, don't listen to them, and don't bother reading a thread about them. i mean i always skip the kelly clarkson ones :-)

btw, i love tool.

You make a good point. I mean I don't like and just cannot get into The Arcade Fire and Muse, to name two bands off the top of my head, but I wouldn't say they suck, they just do nothing for me.

I would however stick my neck out and say Nickleback are crap and that anyone who says otherwise is wrong :)

I love Tool but I guess one of the things is that those who love Tool gush about them and if someone has read so many positive things then listens to them and doesn't like them they might be inclined to say something like they suck simply because the music to them isn't anywhere near the quality they were expecting.

I also think that when you are really passionate about music it can sometimes prevent you from being objective about some bands that you don't care for.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    Hebejebe wrote:
    You make a good point. I mean I don't like and just cannot get into The Arcade Fire and Muse, to name two bands off the top of my head, but I wouldn't say they suck, they just do nothing for me.

I would however stick my neck out and say Nickleback are crap and that anyone who says otherwise is wrong :)

I love Tool but I guess one of the things is that those who love Tool gush about them and if someone has read so many positive things then listens to them and doesn't like them they might be inclined to say something like they suck simply because the music to them isn't anywhere near the quality they were expecting.

I also think that when you are really passionate about music it can sometimes prevent you from being objective about some bands that you don't care for.

This is true.
  • sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    i'm listening to undertow right now at work, its good shit.
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    the only thing that I was frustrated w/their live act was the fact that their setlists were pretty similar from show to show. Otherwise, they are absolutely amazing live! They just know how to do a great show. I've tinkered with an idea of a setlist, so here it is, kinda loosly based on how they put it together on the 10,000 days tour and my personal picks and that they average 11 songs per show:

Vicarious
    Stinkfist
    46 & 2
    Bottom
    Schism
    10,000 Days
    Sober
    Lateralus
    Ticks & Leaches

Opiate
    Right In Two
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • I am part of the Tool Army but I love and hate Tool. They are sell outs especially Maynard. Danny Carey is one of the best drummers in the world. I love the lyrics. The Alex Grey artwork they are using for their album artwork lately is really amazing. While they are amazing live, they don't vary their set lists enough and don't release enough live recordings. They do take WAY too long to release albums. I wonder if 10,000 days will ever be released to vinyl. They don't really love their fans like Pearl Jam does. The Tool Army doesn't hold a candle to 10c. Maynard seems like an egotistical ass most of the time.

I just saw them at Bonnaroo a few days ago and I realize that while lots of people thought it was an amazing show I was disappointed in it. Maynard's voice was off but maybe he's sick? The setlist was pretty much what they have been playing the whole tour I was really expecting more.
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • romajoromajo Posts: 16
    I just saw them again last night. My second show this tour . You're right about setlists. There were a few changes, but not many. Then again, with their stage video and lights which seem fit with the music it's probably hard to change it up much. I personally was a little bored with the lights the second time around, but the music was still awesome and Maynard's vocals were on last night. He was "sick" last time I saw them.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    I am part of the Tool Army but I love and hate Tool. They are sell outs especially Maynard. Danny Carey is one of the best drummers in the world. I love the lyrics. The Alex Grey artwork they are using for their album artwork lately is really amazing. While they are amazing live, they don't vary their set lists enough and don't release enough live recordings. They do take WAY too long to release albums. I wonder if 10,000 days will ever be released to vinyl. They don't really love their fans like Pearl Jam does. The Tool Army doesn't hold a candle to 10c. Maynard seems like an egotistical ass most of the time.

most bands don't vary their set lists at all. very few do a pearl jam and play a different set every night. tool's set is very tied to their videos and lighting in a similar way to rush. and rush play the same set every night.

the big gaps between albums are generally explainable. they took their record company to court which ate up a good few years and stopped them recording. then maynard was writing, recording and touring with a perfect circle. twice. that's more time gone. then when they do release an album they tour the world pretty extensively and from what i gather they don't like to write on the road. given the high quality of every tool release i would rather get one superb album every 4/5 years than a load of crap every 2 years.

tool do things their way, in their own time. you have to accept that.

although i do agree about the live recordings. i would love a live tool album. they recorded shows when touring lateralus for a proposed live dvd but that never happened. i just hope these recordings find their way out of the vault one day.
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    They are sell outs especially Maynard.

Um, yeah, they are - and they admit it.

Did you actually listen to Hooker With a Penis?
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Tool is great. Bottom Line. Carey/Maynard are the 2 most talented musicians of our time. Justin/Adam two of the most unique.

They created a sound and continually tweaked and updated to the point where people try to copy it but no one else pulls it off as well.

They actually use complex time signatures and put time into there compositions.

Maynard is pretentious a dick and Eddie is a close minded fuck but i love them both.

Aenima is one of the greatest records of our time.

Every album has 3 or 4 "great" songs.

It's too bad some of you discredit them for not conforming to the 3 minute radio hit / album every 2 years pop mold.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • JibitiJibiti Posts: 265
    what merchandise should i expect to see, specifically prices for t-shirts and posters?
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
    Arctangent wrote:
    most bands don't vary their set lists at all. very few do a pearl jam and play a different set every night. tool's set is very tied to their videos and lighting in a similar way to rush. and rush play the same set every night.

the big gaps between albums are generally explainable. they took their record company to court which ate up a good few years and stopped them recording. then maynard was writing, recording and touring with a perfect circle. twice. that's more time gone. then when they do release an album they tour the world pretty extensively and from what i gather they don't like to write on the road. given the high quality of every tool release i would rather get one superb album every 4/5 years than a load of crap every 2 years.

tool do things their way, in their own time. you have to accept that.

although i do agree about the live recordings. i would love a live tool album. they recorded shows when touring lateralus for a proposed live dvd but that never happened. i just hope these recordings find their way out of the vault one day.
    by "high quality", i'm hoping you mean production, not good songs
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Haijay wrote:
    by "high quality", i'm hoping you mean production, not good songs

tool have yet to write a bad song, so by high quality i mean production, songs, packaging, everything.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jibiti wrote:
    what merchandise should i expect to see, specifically prices for t-shirts and posters?

i bought a hoodie and it cost me $90 australian. i dont know what that means with the exchange rate. i wear it all the time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i'll bump this, although they are a far cry from being one of my favorite artists they rock hard and true. hooker with a penis is one crazy wicked cool bomb
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Arctangent wrote:
    tool have yet to write a bad song, so by high quality i mean production, songs, packaging, everything.
    wings for marie?, lipan conjuring?.They only have two good songs per record,come on man,(or woman)