Tool

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Lets show some love for them.

An unconventional band, who in the words of the great zack de la rocha when talking about patti smith, "they are more concerned about moments than making hits"

they make odd, nonlinear, and abstract videos that they refuse to appear in.

They take great pains to make music that is powerful

They talk about topics most current rock music wouldnt dare broach-Carl Jung, genetics, spirituality

their music is extremely complex, even to the point of making one song tie into the fibonocci sequence.

They are a great band who are more into the music, than the money. And for that they are admirable.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like 'em. Hopefully one of these days I'll get to see them in concert.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • i think TOOL is one of the best, talented and most ROCKIN' bands there is. you're right about their complexity, they care more about their songs being perfect than what people think about them. they make music for themselves, and people just so happen to like it as well. they should be coming around the states again for another tour in support of 10,000 Days during spring. anyone from philly should meet me there!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Yawn. Bands are nothing without good songs. That's just what I think of Tool.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:

Okay, so you have heard TOOL, clearly you have never listened.

I have many friends who do not like the band, but LOVE the lyrics. You can not deny the depth of their music. I actually found the quoted statement offensive.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    yosi wrote:
    I like 'em. Hopefully one of these days I'll get to see them in concert.

you really really need to... i have seen them 4 times now and each time has been amazing. one of the best live bands on the planet!
  • I actually found the quoted statement offensive.

Well then you need to relax and get laid dude ;)

I also think that Tool have great lyrics, are very skillful musicians who can put musical 'pieces' together, but bore the pants off me. A band needs good, distinctive songs. Without that, it's just like improvisational jazz band: unmistakably excellent, but who wants to listen to a whole night of it? Trust me I've tried, improvisational jazz AND Tool.

I can honestly say I've heard a fair bit from Tool, and all I really remember is 'Schizm', because that song defines their sound.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,255
    TOOL should be a must see concert for anyone who considers themselves to have any knowledge of music ,their live show is truly an artist interpretention of music, even if you are not a fan i believe their show would change most open minded music fans opinion of the band .....they fucking rock,i have seen them only once and never for a moment did i feel bored during their show .............
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

I can honestly say I've heard a fair bit from Tool, and all I really remember is 'Schizm', because that song defines their sound.

Yea, but its an awesome song, so by that logic, they have an awesome sound.
  • Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned

This will make your head explode !
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
    Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned

its amazing to see justin and adam wringing those noises out of their instruments during lost keys when they play them live. they opened with those two when i saw them at the hammersmith odeon last june... the floor shook!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have respect for Tool, but I don't like them. I've given them a chance, but their stuff just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of metal.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,255
    DOSW wrote:
    I have respect for Tool, but I don't like them. I've given them a chance, but their stuff just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of metal.
    you should catch one of their shows ,i never listend to TOOL before i saw them live after that it changed my mind ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I have found that you cannot force tool on anyone ... you either appreciate it or you don't.

You cannot try to "get into" it ... it gets you. If someone asks what album they should buy first, sure you can recommend something ( i have done it here ), but they are probably not going to like it. they may find a song or two they like, but it will most likely be a dust collector.

as for 10,000 days, it is simply a masterpiece ... after probably at least 100 times thru the album, i am still looking foward to the next time i listen to it.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned

maynard on acid ^^^
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they also take at least 4-5 years to put out new material. i've posted before on here how lame i think that is so i won't bother here.
    Okay, so you have heard TOOL, clearly you have never listened.

I have many friends who do not like the band, but LOVE the lyrics. You can not deny the depth of their music. I actually found the quoted statement offensive.

Name three great songs by Tool. I'll go on AOL music or iTunes and listen to them right now.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    Name three great songs by Tool. I'll go on AOL music or iTunes and listen to them right now.

try any of these:

opiate
    sober
    Ænema
    stinkfist
    forty six & 2
    schism

if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em...
  • Alex_Coe wrote:

I totally agree. Tool is musical masturbation.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • they also take at least 4-5 years to put out new material. i've posted before on here how lame i think that is so i won't bother here.

it kinda sucks, but it's their decision. and they've made it for a number of reasons.

maynard has said that they hardly make any money from their studio albums due to the terms of their record deal. so they prefer touring. and during the five years in between albums, they'll usually complete two or three world tours... which is very cool.

also, tool's albums have a complexity to them that is unmatched in mainstream music. there is no way they could release an album as involved as lateralus or 10,000 days in only two years.

and even if they could, creating music that complex can be very stressful. it usually ends up causing conflicts between band members. this was one of the themes of lateralus.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Tool are one of the only major bands around who you can still call "artists". Maybe Radiohead can fall into that category as well. A band that is willing to challenge their listener and push their music into uncharted territories. This doesn't mean they write wanky music that is all over the place. In fact, Tool songs, once you are into them, have great hooks.

Let's face it, Tool does not and will not write 4 minute radio friendly ballads. Their is a certain level of work the listener needs to put in to get something out of their albums. But it is well worth it. And once you uncover the patterns in their music, you get really, really into it. It sucks you in, if you are willing to let go and dive into the music. It is definitely not background music.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:

Sober
    Right in Two
    H.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
    Alex_Coe wrote:

I know I'm the third or fourth person to suggest songs but,

Schism
    Sober
    Forty Six and 2
    they also take at least 4-5 years to put out new material. i've posted before on here how lame i think that is so i won't bother here.

i would rather a group (not just tool) take 4-5 years and release a masterpiece than chuck out a piece of crap every 14 months or so. give me quality over quantity any day.

and you won't find any tool songs over at the iTunes store, as tool have not licensed their songs for download.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i don't know man, Laturalus was about half good... some of that stuff towards the end like "Reflection" were horrible. i saw them on that tour and had to sit through those longass songs (and i LOVE long songs) that go nowhere.

i heard most of 10,000 Days and was not impressed. some of those riffs sounded straight out of a Godsmack record, plus i distinctly remember hearing a riff that i'm sure was on AEnima.

somebody posted on here that they don't make money from their records... dude, they sell millions of copies. i'm sure all their records since Undertow are multi-platnium. obviously all bands make their real money on the road.. what w/ $30 tshirts and $40-50 hoodies.. a band the size of Tool can make a killing.. plus if the band has any say on how much to charge for parking-i doubt they do but still, look at all the other ways these bands rip you off, and i know it's not just them but every big band out there.

i thought AEnima was a masterpiece and Laturalus was NOT worth the 6 years i waited. yeah, i know they put out Salival in between but looking back that kind of sucked. Tool annoy me. but if you guys like it, go for it you know.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i don't know man, Laturalus was about half good... some of that stuff towards the end like "Reflection" were horrible. i saw them on that tour and had to sit through those longass songs (and i LOVE long songs) that go nowhere.

i heard most of 10,000 Days and was not impressed. some of those riffs sounded straight out of a Godsmack record, plus i distinctly remember hearing a riff that i'm sure was on AEnima.

somebody posted on here that they don't make money from their records... dude, they sell millions of copies. i'm sure all their records since Undertow are multi-platnium. obviously all bands make their real money on the road.. what w/ $30 tshirts and $40-50 hoodies.. a band the size of Tool can make a killing.. plus if the band has any say on how much to charge for parking-i doubt they do but still, look at all the other ways these bands rip you off, and i know it's not just them but every big band out there.

i thought AEnima was a masterpiece and Laturalus was NOT worth the 6 years i waited. yeah, i know they put out Salival in between but looking back that kind of sucked. Tool annoy me. but if you guys like it, go for it you know.
    I can't for the life of me understand how you don't like Lateralus. sure it has long songs but so did Aenima. eulogy, pushit and Third Eye are all over 9 minutes.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    great band, put out 2 great albums, but I just can't get into them, 10,000 days was a HUGE dissapointment, I bought it when I bought PJ, and thought it was just so repetitive and had songs that went on and on and just go NO WHERE! I will admit they are good, I respect them, but I just don't see whats so great about them!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08

I also think that Tool have great lyrics, are very skillful musicians who can put musical 'pieces' together, but bore the pants off me. A band needs good, distinctive songs. Without that, it's just like improvisational jazz band: unmistakably excellent, but who wants to listen to a whole night of it? Trust me I've tried, improvisational jazz AND Tool.

This pretty much sums up Tool as I see it.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120

dude you fuckin nailed it! AMEN!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    On AOL music there is 6 songs: The Pot, Vicarious, Viginti Tres, Right in Two, Intentioned, Rosetta Stoned, and Lost keys. I listened to The Pot, it was okay. The instrumentals were okay but I don't like the singer. Vicarious was sorta samey, but relatively good.

Still, I can't see where this rabid fanbase is coming from.
  • i don't know man, Laturalus was about half good... some of that stuff towards the end like "Reflection" were horrible. i saw them on that tour and had to sit through those longass songs (and i LOVE long songs) that go nowhere.

it's not that they don't make ANY money. they make more than enough. but the record label gets a much higher cut than the band does, and it seems like this causes some bitterness in their world. of course, the record label also lets them release whatever they want without objection. so it's a two-way street.

you're absolutely right that almost all bands make their real money on the road, especially since the record label usually doesn't get a cut of the tour earnings. so for tool, touring extensively is their way of "sticking it" to the label.

of course, money has always taken on sort of a weird meaning in the tool world. i never get tired of posting these lyrics:

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/aenimalyrics.php#07

it's almost like, "we don't need your money... but FUCK YOU, we got it anyway!" money is the ultimate indicator of status in our society (for better or for worse), and it seems like tool really gets a kick out of taking it away from people through such unconventional means.

speaking of unconventional... lateralus and 10,000 days. i think they're both amazing albums. you obviously feel differently, and that's fine. i think we can all agree that tool's newer material isn't going to appeal to everyone. it's not intended to. lateralus and 10,000 days require MANY listens in order to gain full appreciation, and i guess a lot of people aren't really interested in putting in that kind of time.

but dude... godsmack?!? lol... c'mon... godsmack is one of the most simplistic and derivative bands in the world. tool is one of the most complex and original. sure, adam jones plays a lot of power chords. but i feel that the complexity of his recent riffs is the result of the odd time signatures that he uses more so than the specific chords that he plays. of course, this is all just my opinion.