Zack De La Rocha continues to call for revolution

Comments

• Kraven wrote:
    If theres one person Id want to be around right now, it would be John Lennon.

You said it. I love Rage Against the Machine, and I like their ideals, in all honesty I do but a violent revolution simply won't work in these times in a country like the US. Things like tanks, planes etc. that civillians just don't have will squash a revolution in minutes and secondly, violence breeds violence not peace, it always has and it always will.

John Lennon was a true visionary and a real revolutionary. He had the american people actually pushing for peace, in a non-violent, diplomatic way. He urged people to voice their opinions, vote and bring about change through unity not uprising and the government was SCARED SHITLESS of John Lennon. This government doesn't give a fuck about Rage Against the Machine. Politicians make their money off making somebody miserable, big business and military strength, pushing for peace strikes the heart of all of those and is far more terrifying for politicians than playing into their hands with a violent upbringing.

"All We are Saying, Is Give Peace a Chance"
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • Listen to the Smashing Pumpkins new song:
    United States
    It's a great 9min song on the new album about Revolution.
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Is McDonalds going to sponser this Revolution? If so, I'm in....
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Oh how true this is.

Do any of you think RATM would have got back together if none of this terrorist/war shit was going on ??
    It's just more marketting !!

That's unfair for ratm. It's possible they wouldn't have gotten back together without the terror/war piece going on. But it is possible the reason isn't for marketing purposes.

Never once I have doubted that Zach (as well as the other members) is genuinely pissed off. And most of his fans are pissed off as well. And he is pissed off at the society, and now he is pissed off enough against the admnistration that he got his band back together (which btw was the best music news in a long time). He probably won't die throwing molotov cocktails at the white house while screamin "viva la revolucion" but you can't deny the anger (and rage) of this band is real.

And the anger that his fans feel find an answer in his lyrics and his speeches. So maybe they won't die throwing molotov cocktails at the white house either but at least they'll try and see through the constant flow of bs around us and act to change some things around them. And all of this make them more than just the money lovin pricks you turn them out to be.
  • Bush is a murderer and killer and a war criminal.

We need to rise up. Rise! RISE! This system doesnt give a crap about you. And if you think Obama and hilary give a damn about you you must be high on meth.

RISE!

Wow dude. I'm not a big fan of Bush and I understand your apathy with there not being much to choose from amongst politicians in the two major parties but you are an idiot.

If you think Bush is a murderer and war criminal why don't you actually learn about your namesake Che Guevera. You heard him mentioned in song and saw the cool t-shirts of him and think he was a great visionary of change. Why don't you ask the Cuban people what they think of him. He only slaughtered and tortured their families by the 100s. Then he went on to wreak havoc in South America and accomplished nothing positive.

That Castro revolution worked real well too as now instead of there being haves and have nots in Cuba there are only have nots with the exception of Castro's inner circle. I'll take my white house and picket fence any day.

Feel free to continue toking on your joints and proselytizing about things you know nothing about though.
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    musician should just play music they dont know shit about the world
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    You know, I actually agree with some of what you have to say, but as an owner of a house and a fence, Im a little put off by that statement.

I see no reason why we cannot simply be politically active, while also working to support a family and home.

...and a white picket fence, or whatever icono-50's imagery that represents to you.

yeah i agree i own a house have 2 kids no fence but i make sure i get my ass to the voting booth to all the elections i can vote at and i've worked hard at getting that house so yeah i don't agree with that statement or zach's views .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jsaso wrote:
    musician should just play music they dont know shit about the world

So writers should just write novels/poems, and not worry about the world at large? The problem isn't that musicians write about "the world", it's that they take a very simplistic view of the problems they tackle. Which is probably a necessity for a 4 minute rock song. Ne'ertheless, I'd prefer that musicians write about something they care about, rather than studiously avoiding writing about "the world".
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    pjl44 wrote:
    What's stupid is calling for Bush to be hung. It's stupid because it never could/should happen. It's also stupid because anyone continuing to call out Bush and not Cheney as the ultimate instigator of 90% of our woes either can't read or is too lazy to do so.

Our political troubles continue to be fueled by your Ann Coulters, Zach de la Rochas, Bill O'Reillys and Michael Moores. Provocate your masses with the most insane shit you can spew out of your mouth rather than sit down with the "bad guys" on "the other team" and discuss REAL issues with an eye toward REAL solutions.

Or you can just paint a swastika on George Bush's head and tell yourself you're making a difference...

agreed 100%. i like rage as a band, but come on. what the hell have they ever done to make the world a better place. shut the fuck up.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    does anybody remember GHANDHI he preached non violence to get his point across and it worked ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    DOSW wrote:
    Or maybe if he started gunning people down, he'd be thrown in jail for life and boom, that would be the end of his attempts at starting a fire. If he tried to start a revolution right now, it would die before it ever started. Do you think he's a moron or something? If he had the right support behind him, then he could very well do it. I'm not saying he definitely would, because I don't know him. But all signs point to it.

you guys are hilarious. go start his revolution for him and see what happens. he is full of shit, he's all talk, it's an image and you know it. and if you don't know it you're very naive. and don't ask how i know he's full of shit, because i don't have any facts i can throw at you which i'm sure you are looking for, but a 7 year old could see through his antics.
    I do believe his music and lyrics are inspiring. It just inspires me to go to the polls though.

I ain't turning over cars and burning down cities for that spaghetti head.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    Why doesn't Rage shut the fuck up?? Are you serious (directed to those who said such things)? Do you know what practically every Rage song is about? Revolution, justice and freedom. Telling them to just sing about other things (like love, girls, and the meaning of life??) is ridiculous. It's who they are. if it pisses you off so much, just don't listen.

And let's see, what has any of them done for the cause?? Well, their music IS a form of protest. Instead of grabbing a sign and marching down the street, they played the DNC, they played to raise money for causes that they believe in. They educate- through their music and other resources- websites. Scoff!! How can they educate since they're such dumb musicians who don't know of these things ?! Again, let's see, Tom has a degree from Harvard in political science, he's worked in a senator's office, he's sang/rallied at multiple protests inclding Imokalee workers (with ZacK), for Food Not Bombs, many anti-war protests, the South Central Farmers (with ZacK), against Taco Bell, formed an organisation called Axis of Justice with Serj Tankian to donate, eduacate and give resources to many political/social causes, and the list goes on.....

As far as Zack is concerned, I don't know as much, this is true. I do know that he uses his music as a form of protest. He's performed so many protests over the years with Rage, Tom, and even solo that it's hard to keep track. Don't you think that when they sing about "rolling down Rodeo with a shotgun" that it really could just be an idea- a thought- a beginning to a real plan? Planting the seeds? not that really expect someone to pick up a shotgun but maybe start to see the world as it really is- possibly to pick up an interest in changing things. Maybe most don't like their suggested methods- violence- and with this I agree. I'm not one for violence. BUT I love that they are getting a message of change out. If people don't like their way of stating things- so be it. Like I said, no need to listen. However when people say that they should change or just shut up, that pisses me off (obviously). They DO know what they are talking about. Most of their fans are young, angry guys who want to change things- not take out a bunch of people with an uzi.

As far as big houses, limos, etc., who knows? Probably no one here. Do we really know how much they donate or give of themselves? Doubtful. If Zack or Tom takes you out on the town in a limo and then you guys return to their big, fancy mansion in the hills, please do share what big hypocrites they are. Otherwise, I'd say that it's all speculation.

"The blues guy I met that never had a hit said "you don't gotta be loud son to be heavy as shit". Well I'm the triggerman baby, and tonight I'll prove that this machine here, well it kills fascists too." - The Nightwatchman
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "Why would you criticize them for actually trying to make a difference on a large scale? If you don't like their message of sometimes violent uprising, then fair enough. But to scoff at them for trying to envoke change? Seems kinda low to me."

They're trying to make a difference - that's commendable. But I don't agree about the way they try and do it. It just reeks of hypocrisy. If my post sounded like Rage were violent thugs then I apologise because that's not what I was trying to say. They've contributed to a lot of charities and helped numerous political causes, so it's not as if viciously oppose everything they do.

They made some great music and I'll definately try and see them live if I get the chance. But it's possible to like music without having to agree with the message, and I don't agree with De La Rochas very extreme methods.
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    dana_b wrote:
    Why doesn't Rage shut the fuck up?? Are you serious (directed to those who said such things)? Do you know what practically every Rage song is about? Revolution, justice and freedom. Telling them to just sing about other things (like love, girls, and the meaning of life??) is ridiculous. It's who they are. if it pisses you off so much, just don't listen.

And let's see, what has any of them done for the cause?? Well, their music IS a form of protest. Instead of grabbing a sign and marching down the street, they played the DNC, they played to raise money for causes that they believe in. They educate- through their music and other resources- websites. Scoff!! How can they educate since they're such dumb musicians who don't know of these things ?! Again, let's see, Tom has a degree from Harvard in political science, he's worked in a senator's office, he's sang/rallied at multiple protests inclding Imokalee workers (with ZacK), for Food Not Bombs, many anti-war protests, the South Central Farmers (with ZacK), against Taco Bell, formed an organisation called Axis of Justice with Serj Tankian to donate, eduacate and give resources to many political/social causes, and the list goes on.....

As far as Zack is concerned, I don't know as much, this is true. I do know that he uses his music as a form of protest. He's performed so many protests over the years with Rage, Tom, and even solo that it's hard to keep track. Don't you think that when they sing about "rolling down Rodeo with a shotgun" that it really could just be an idea- a thought- a beginning to a real plan? Planting the seeds? not that really expect someone to pick up a shotgun but maybe start to see the world as it really is- possibly to pick up an interest in changing things. Maybe most don't like their suggested methods- violence- and with this I agree. I'm not one for violence. BUT I love that they are getting a message of change out. If people don't like their way of stating things- so be it. Like I said, no need to listen. However when people say that they should change or just shut up, that pisses me off (obviously). They DO know what they are talking about. Most of their fans are young, angry guys who want to change things- not take out a bunch of people with an uzi.

As far as big houses, limos, etc., who knows? Probably no one here. Do we really know how much they donate or give of themselves? Doubtful. If Zack or Tom takes you out on the town in a limo and then you guys return to their big, fancy mansion in the hills, please do share what big hypocrites they are. Otherwise, I'd say that it's all speculation.

"The blues guy I met that never had a hit said "you don't gotta be loud son to be heavy as shit". Well I'm the triggerman baby, and tonight I'll prove that this machine here, well it kills fascists too." - The Nightwatchman

Thank you...at least someone on here actually posts facts about what Rage members do outside of playing music. Also Zach actually did quit the band and spend time working with the Zapatistas in Mexico, actually working for a revolution in a place ravaged by American corporations through that faulty agreement called NAFTA. This is a band who does care, and is right that Bush should be killed for what he's done to his own and other countries' people...this is a guy (Bush) who has quite possibly had a member of his own army (Pat Tillman) murdered for political purposes, and has cabinet members who actually say things like the 50k+ Iraqis that we have killed directly and/or indirectly is worth it with no recourse for their stupidity. Yes we are lucky to live in a country where there is opportunity for such wealth, the problem is while you pro-Americans are so proud to point this out you never stop to realize that in America there is also quite an interesting have and have not's scenario where 1 percent of the people own 40% of the weath, a country where its not worth Bill Gates time to lean over and pick up his $2000 wallet because he makes more than that per second, and we can't even feed, clothe, and properly educate thousands...WAKE UP.
    They are nothing but a bunch of communists.

rage are legends...but cmon...rise like iraqi youth???
    iraqi youth isnt rising!!!
    they should try to play in iraq...
    i bet you they would be scared as shit
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    dana_b wrote:

Right on. I was going to reply to soulsinging's and jeffbr's bullshit, but now there's no need to because you said more than I ever could have.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    so what's wrong with that?
    ryan198 wrote:
    so what's wrong with that?
    i hear dave coulier is calling for revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ok?!?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    DOSW wrote:
    Right on. I was going to reply to soulsinging's and jeffbr's bullshit, but now there's no need to because you said more than I ever could have.

If he said more than you could have, that's too bad.

What he said referred to protests, and volunteering for groups seeking change. That's great! What I was talking about was his call for revolution. I thought that was the discussion. Many musicians and entertainers are actively working for change. SOAD, PJ, Neil Young, etc... Rage does that, too and I think that's great. But the whole "revolution" tirades Zack goes on are what I was referring to as marketing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    so you all dont think rage had any impact, however small in terms of radicalizing people. Cause personally I am one of those people. Who else talked about Mumia, peltier and the zapatistas. Go to a Free Mumia rally, how many of those folks heard about him through Rage? I would bet quite a few. And even mumia praised rage for igniting interest and activist passion in his case.

Plus, through their website and the Evil Empire liner notes they included recommended radical books. You dont think anyone read those books do you?I sure as hell read them.

And what about Tom Morello. He is just as radical. He agrees with Zack. And is the same exact way. Did you read what he had to say about his solo debut? That it was meant as a manual for radicals, to start the revolution. he has some lyric where he calls our real troops "the black mask wearing" people. Those are anarchists people!

How is Zack hypocritical? Isnt eddie? Or Bono? Or even Ian Mackaye? They all take money from making political statements. And I love all their music.

But to act like Zack is different from any of them is absurb. Ed isnt someone who hides his opinion and its clear he is for radical social change. Yet he and the band do that while charging 120 bucks per pair of ten club tickets. Ed lives in a nice house. He isnt a bum.

Its fine to discuss rock stars and politics but please people, lets stick to ne standard.

Either its cool for all rock stars to advocate for social change, or its not cool for all.
    You said it. I love Rage Against the Machine, and I like their ideals, in all honesty I do but a violent revolution simply won't work in these times in a country like the US. Things like tanks, planes etc. that civillians just don't have will squash a revolution in minutes and secondly, violence breeds violence not peace, it always has and it always will.

John Lennon was a true visionary and a real revolutionary. He had the american people actually pushing for peace, in a non-violent, diplomatic way. He urged people to voice their opinions, vote and bring about change through unity not uprising and the government was SCARED SHITLESS of John Lennon. This government doesn't give a fuck about Rage Against the Machine. Politicians make their money off making somebody miserable, big business and military strength, pushing for peace strikes the heart of all of those and is far more terrifying for politicians than playing into their hands with a violent upbringing.

"All We are Saying, Is Give Peace a Chance"

I am a pacifist too, and have never engaged in violent tactics at protests, but lets face it people, going to marches with signs and chanting isnt ending the war. We had the biggest protest in history BEFORE the war even began. It didnt change a damn thing. I am all for peaceful protests, but i am in agreement with Ben Harper. We need to reevaluate our tactics. Holding hands and singing give peace a chance aint bringing our boys and girls home from iraq. The sooner we realize that the sooner we can end the war.

We need to try new tactics
    jeffbr wrote:
    If he said more than you could have, that's too bad.

What he said referred to protests, and volunteering for groups seeking change. That's great! What I was talking about was his call for revolution. I thought that was the discussion. Many musicians and entertainers are actively working for change. SOAD, PJ, Neil Young, etc... Rage does that, too and I think that's great. But the whole "revolution" tirades Zack goes on are what I was referring to as marketing.

SOAD, PJ, and Uncle neil dont go on revolution tirades? SOAD support Manson for gods sakes.
    Wow dude. I'm not a big fan of Bush and I understand your apathy with there not being much to choose from amongst politicians in the two major parties but you are an idiot.

If you think Bush is a murderer and war criminal why don't you actually learn about your namesake Che Guevera. You heard him mentioned in song and saw the cool t-shirts of him and think he was a great visionary of change. Why don't you ask the Cuban people what they think of him. He only slaughtered and tortured their families by the 100s. Then he went on to wreak havoc in South America and accomplished nothing positive.

That Castro revolution worked real well too as now instead of there being haves and have nots in Cuba there are only have nots with the exception of Castro's inner circle. I'll take my white house and picket fence any day.

Feel free to continue toking on your joints and proselytizing about things you know nothing about though.

I love how you act like you know me but you have no goddamn idea about anything about my life. Stick to being a pushover jerk. It suits you well.
    anyone willing to answer my question? Seems to me the antiZack people are saying "he is a hypocrite because he makes millions off calls for activism and revolution"

My question is this: how is Zack any different from Ed, Uncle Neil, REM, Bruce, etc...? They all have a social conscience, but make millions off of it.

Why all this hatred for Zack and not all this hatred for any other musician who wears their politics on their sleeves?
    DAVE COULIER IS ASSEMBLING THE COALITON OF THE WILLING:

Bono VoX
    Zach De La Rocha
    Dave Couiler
    Jaleel White
    Chandler Bing
    T.I.
    Fergie
    Fredy Miller

the have made this promotional video to stop the war:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_6hhv8UUc
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    so you all dont think rage had any impact, however small in terms of radicalizing people. Cause personally I am one of those people. Who else talked about Mumia, peltier and the zapatistas. Go to a Free Mumia rally, how many of those folks heard about him through Rage? I would bet quite a few. And even mumia praised rage for igniting interest and activist passion in his case.

Plus, through their website and the Evil Empire liner notes they included recommended radical books. You dont think anyone read those books do you?I sure as hell read them.

And what about Tom Morello. He is just as radical. He agrees with Zack. And is the same exact way. Did you read what he had to say about his solo debut? That it was meant as a manual for radicals, to start the revolution. he has some lyric where he calls our real troops "the black mask wearing" people. Those are anarchists people!

How is Zack hypocritical? Isnt eddie? Or Bono? Or even Ian Mackaye? They all take money from making political statements. And I love all their music.

But to act like Zack is different from any of them is absurb. Ed isnt someone who hides his opinion and its clear he is for radical social change. Yet he and the band do that while charging 120 bucks per pair of ten club tickets. Ed lives in a nice house. He isnt a bum.

Its fine to discuss rock stars and politics but please people, lets stick to ne standard.

Either its cool for all rock stars to advocate for social change, or its not cool for all.

ed encourages people to get informed, get involved, and vote. i've never heard him urge anyone to start blowing up civilians like the iraqi insurgents. rage has. and that's why it's hypocrisy. i dont doubt rage is honest in their convictions or ideas, nor do i doubt they have been committed to various causes. i just think it's bullshit for a rich rock star to stand on a stage and encourage violence he is not willing to engage in himself. same goes for you. if you think we need different tactics, how about you join a militia next time instead of running and hiding in a commune?
    ed encourages people to get informed, get involved, and vote. i've never heard him urge anyone to start blowing up civilians like the iraqi insurgents. rage has. and that's why it's hypocrisy. i dont doubt rage is honest in their convictions or ideas, nor do i doubt they have been committed to various causes. i just think it's bullshit for a rich rock star to stand on a stage and encourage violence he is not willing to engage in himself. same goes for you. if you think we need different tactics, how about you join a militia next time instead of running and hiding in a commune?

maybe because i dont think by advocating for different tactics I am advocating for ONLY ONE thing. Different tactics mean just that, different tacticS, the S is capitalized to emphasize the plural nature of that word.

Maybe before jumping on my back and acting like an ignorant idiot, it would be wise to ask me about what those tactics would be, and if joining a commune could be a tactic in itself.