Your Favorite Instrumental Bands?

Comments

• Rico Rodriguez
    Dancing Mood
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Liquid Tension Experiment!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    MOGWAI (amazing)
    Tortoise
    Godspeed
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Switch wrote:
    Liquid Tension Experiment!

Oh man, I hate those guys.

But I did pick up a Tortoise cd today.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • for a killer middle-eastern vibe check out Tuatara w. Peter Buck (R.E.M.) and Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees). excellent stuff
  • no one seems to have mentioned either pelican or red sparrowes. both excellent instrumental bands that are in a similar vein to isis (indeed red sparrowes has members of isis and neurosis among its number)
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Sounds like I'm going to have to get some Mogwai! I like new music.

My contribution is :

Rodrigo y Gabriela! They are fantastic live... only two guitarists but they sound like an orchestra... I thoroughly recommend anyone to listen to them, regardless of your musical taste. And they're now touring the states.

http://www.myspace.com/rodrigoygabriela

My second contribution are:

Apocalyptica!

Metal on Cellos... how can it not be good? . They're the one's that released the album of Metallica covers on cello's, they rocked harder than Metallica when I saw them last year!

"Sold out venues the world over say it all. The band that closed the chasm between Shostakovich and Metallica, between concert halls and rock venues has become one of the most respected groups on the planet"

http://myspace.com/apocalyptica
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Apocalyptica
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Arctangent wrote:
    no one seems to have mentioned either pelican or red sparrowes. both excellent instrumental bands that are in a similar vein to isis (indeed red sparrowes has members of isis and neurosis among its number)

I listen to Pelican, they are pretty awesome.

Going to see them in a couple of weeks with Russian Circles.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Listening to a live show from Mogwai playing at the Gothic Theatre, Denver, Colorado in the US last year. Absolutely amazing, probably the best live recording ive ever heard and the show is phenomenal. I love Mogwai anyway but this is pretty special! Tracklisting is...

01] Intro
    02] Yes! I Am a Long Way From Home
    03] Hunted By A Freak
    04] Friend Of The Night
    05] Helicon 2
    06] Acid Food
    07] I Know You Are But What Am I?
    08] Cody
    09] We're No Here
    10] Stanley Kubrick
    11] Travel Is Dangerous
    12] You Don't Know Jesus
    13] Helicon 1
    14] Glasgow Megasnake
    15] My Father, My King

Some of my favourite Mogwai tracks on there definitely.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Isis
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    definitely explosions in the sky
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    itsevobaby wrote:
    definitely explosions in the sky

What this guy said.................I have been blown away by them since I heard them in Friday Night Lights, I cant enough of their music........its rock music in classical form
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    lanterna is a cool instrumental band - didnt see them mentioned
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    godspeed you black emporer
    mogwai
    explosions in the sky
    pelican
    sigur ros
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The Charles Mingus Sextet, early 1964. If anybody rocked hard, Dolphy did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDAbp9m5yw&mode=related&search=
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    pelican and red sparrowes are both superb instrumental bands.
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    DO MAKE SAY THINK
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Mahavishnu orchestra. Literally a group of the best instrumentalists on their respective instruments at the time. The first incarnation that is.

Damn right. These guys were flat out scary. The Inner Mounting Flame is easily one of the 10 best guitar albums of all time.

Since Finsbury nominated The Mingus group with Dolphy, I have to go with Coltrane's classic quartet. Coltrane is obviously a god, but Elvin Jones is also one of the greatest drummers of all time. McCoy Tyner and Jimmy Garrison were badasses too.
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    Bela Fleck and Flecktones give the most amazing instrumental live show i´ve ever seen...
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Damn right. These guys were flat out scary. The Inner Mounting Flame is easily one of the 10 best guitar albums of all time.

Since Finsbury nominated The Mingus group with Dolphy, I have to go with Coltrane's classic quartet. Coltrane is obviously a god, but Elvin Jones is also one of the greatest drummers of all time. McCoy Tyner and Jimmy Garrison were badasses too.

add a little Chick´s Corea accoustic band...the one with patitucci and weckl...
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Explosions in the Sky
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    One of my favourite Mogwai performances, very powerful stuff. Would love to see them live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnNNN6S-YcE - helicon 1
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood
    John Schofield
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I love the Beastie Boys' instrumental music. The In Sound From Way Out is amazing but it came out before Hello Nasty so their best instrumental song is missing. If anybody hasn't heard Sneaking Out Of The Hospital, they should. You can just picture a fantastic video of the Beastie Boys sneaking out of a hospital to that song. Very cool.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Ditto on the Beastie Boys. Can't wait for the new album!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    The new Beasties album is good.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Explosions in the Sky

ya and robin foster

there are alot of new instrumental bands.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Explosions in the Sky

uhhhhhhhh Dit-to
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Yndi Halda is sweet. They have four songs on their only album and each song is at least 10 mins.
    If I could, think I would give in.