Your Favorite Instrumental Bands?

Comments

• I don't take offense to most comments - we all have our own opinions about music...but yeah out of my list, STS9 is the most boring imo...not a huge fan of theirs - prolly should have just left them off. Particle and The Duo have been my two favs lately though. There's not too much i dislike. I'm not one of those "Jambandy snobs you see over on the PT boards, lol. Probably because like you , I listen to a large diverse amount of music from rock, to punk, to "livetronica"...and so on.

Lotus did a KILLER late night set at wakarusa this past summer though. They've definitely gotten more diverse in their sound - their latest album is really good.

Most of these bands I like to listen to while i'm working on artwork - paintings or design...they inspire me what can i say. :) Going to some of the shows get old after awhile though. But I think it is mostly the bands fault for not bringing enough new material when they come back through town.

what festival did you play and what band are you in?
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • MILES DAVIS!

and Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez has some interesting instrumental solo stuff
    saw things so much clearer
  • Mogwai (seeing them live this saturday)
    65daysofstatic
    Godspeed! You Black Emperor
    Explosions in the Sky

those are the ones i really like.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Mogwai (seeing them live this saturday)

ENJOY...a Mogwai concert is unlike any i've ever seen before (seen them 3 times now) easily the loudest band i've ever heard live - an unbelievable wall of sound At certain points when they were in full stride it felt like the music was pushing me back and pounding me to the ground.....you could actually feel the force of the sound through your entire body. Wore earplugs for the 2nd show - only the first couple songs because I didnt like how it changed the sound of the music (I know i'll pay for it later in life). Definitely one of the top 5 bands i've ever seen - long live the guitar army
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Check out Bell Orchestre, pretty mellow compared to most mentioned so far. A lot of people complain about length and repetition in instrumental music, (although I like these aspects) but Bell Orchestre keep everything quite concise and fluid.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • DesignVHL wrote:
    I don't take offense to most comments - we all have our own opinions about music...but yeah out of my list, STS9 is the most boring imo...not a huge fan of theirs - prolly should have just left them off. Particle and The Duo have been my two favs lately though. There's not too much i dislike. I'm not one of those "Jambandy snobs you see over on the PT boards, lol. Probably because like you , I listen to a large diverse amount of music from rock, to punk, to "livetronica"...and so on.

Lotus did a KILLER late night set at wakarusa this past summer though. They've definitely gotten more diverse in their sound - their latest album is really good.

Most of these bands I like to listen to while i'm working on artwork - paintings or design...they inspire me what can i say. :) Going to some of the shows get old after awhile though. But I think it is mostly the bands fault for not bringing enough new material when they come back through town.

what festival did you play and what band are you in?

It was a small festival in Pulaski,NY called the Gathering. I'm in a band called the American Monster Band, we've yet to really get our feet off the ground so to speak but we're trying our best without any help from a manager/promoter ect. You can check out our website @ http://www.americanmonsterband.com
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I'm surprised the Dirty Three haven't been mentioned yet.

thanks for finally putting them down. Whatever You Love, You Are is my favorite instrumental album of all time.

I know someone else mentioned a band called Ring, Cicadas on here. That's wierd because my friends' band is an instrumental band and their name is just Cicadas....and by the way, they fucking rock. I doubt anyone has heard shit like they're doing. check it out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=11707767
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Eric Johnson - he's not a band, but he sure can rock.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Don Caballero
    Dysrhythmia - Greatest math rock band ever
    Hella
    Oxes
    These arms are snakes
    Miles Davis
    Minibosses - Computer game tunes
    Ozric Tentacles
    Quite enjoyed Omar Rodruigez' first album "a manual dexterity..." His new one sucks tho. 10 mins of one riff, boring
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Explosions In The Sky

This was the first musicians I checked out when I looked at this thread, and I have to say I am very impressed, and I will be looking for some more of their music. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try the next band you have in the list there.

A very cool instrumental band from Guelph, Ontario are called King Cobb Steelie, sometimes they have a singer, either one of the guys, or a female, sing some songs, but most songs are instrumental and spacy-ish.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Lunar Crush
    Club D'Elf
    Hasidic New Wave
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Soulive
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Godspeed's "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" is my favorite post rock/instrumental record. It's otherworldly.

some other instrumental records I really like are:

Mogwai - "Mr. Beast" - one of my favorite releases of 06
    Explosions in the Sky - Those who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever and The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place
    A Silver Mt. Zion - He has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of our Rooms
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Siga ROS
    WILCO
    grimmy
    GRIMMY wrote:
    Siga ROS
    WILCO

please explain
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    StoneG82 wrote:
    please explain
    The Q. was.... "what your fav instumental band"

Wilco.and Sigus ros: I love both of these band.I love them live..almost the same as PJ. I like all the diffrent insturments they play,from the Eletric guiters to the Air sith they play. I just seen Wilco last night in CINCY they groove me out... I hope I answered your Q>
    grimmy
    GRIMMY wrote:
    The Q. was.... "what your fav instumental band"

Wilco.and Sigus ros: I love both of these band.I love them live..almost the same as PJ. I like all the diffrent insturments they play,from the Eletric guiters to the Air sith they play. I just seen Wilco last night in CINCY they groove me out... I hope I answered your Q>

well yeah. I never really considered Wilco an "instrumental band".

they sure do rock, though!

I love "At Least that's What you Said", especially live.

Wilco are the best live band around today.
  • Sigur Rós
    Explosions in the Sky
    The Album Leaf
    Mogwai
    Piano Magic
    Hood
    Fog
    Four Tet
    Múm
    Soulive
    Zero 7
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Russian Circles

Wow, I downloaded a copy of these guys, and I was definitly impressed. They only have the one album, Enter, but it was very good on first listen. It seemed quite heavy at parts, which I liked. Contrast that to Explosions In the Sky, which is more mellower.

Speaking of Explosions, I really like the Friday Night Lights soundtrack they did. The entire soundtrack is done by them. Listenting to it right now. I have found 4-5 of their CDs and downloaded them, and like them all. I will definilty pick up a CD or 2 if I see them in the retail stores now that I dig their music.

But Russian Circles, I would recommend anyone purchasing or DL'ing "Enter"
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    daft punk

don't tell me its dance music either!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Love Spirals Downwards- the real group, not Love Spirals that sucks.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I really like the Beastie Boys album "The in sound from way out". It's a sort of greatest hits of their instrumental music...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    5ive, Pelican, The Bakerton Group
  • smarchee wrote:
    Wow, I downloaded a copy of these guys, and I was definitly impressed. They only have the one album, Enter, but it was very good on first listen. It seemed quite heavy at parts, which I liked. Contrast that to Explosions In the Sky, which is more mellower.

Speaking of Explosions, I really like the Friday Night Lights soundtrack they did. The entire soundtrack is done by them. Listenting to it right now. I have found 4-5 of their CDs and downloaded them, and like them all. I will definilty pick up a CD or 2 if I see them in the retail stores now that I dig their music.

But Russian Circles, I would recommend anyone purchasing or DL'ing "Enter"

Good to hear man, I really really love 'Enter', you'll start to hear about this band a little more I think. The guitar player has been in a couple of Guitar Mags, getting hailed for his style.

As for Explosions, I think The Earth Is A Cold Dead Place is their best piece of music.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Lots of great bands listed

I know this subject is old but i've been finding some really great new music on these two sites. If you aren't familiar check 'em out. It's amazing how many quality bands are out there.

http://www.thesilentballet.com
    http://www.afterthepostrock.com
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Godspeed you! black emperor are fucking amazing

also, even though there are vocals on it, Eyvind Kang's Virginal Co Ordinates is stunningly beautiful and Mike Patton's vocals are pretty much their own instrument anyway.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Mogwai
    Sigur Ros
    Four Tet

Broken social scene? (not sure if people would consider them an instrumental band, brilliant anyway.)
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • vivifluviviflu Posts: 122
    This guys have to my opinion a good potential.

overdriveampexplosion.ch
    Fighting fire with fire since world's birth, bumping into the same stone over and over again... and we call this evolution?
  • Check out:

Heroic Doses - Self Titled

Great all the way through, a little more pop-savvy than some of the stuff listed above. But I listened to it three or four times last night.

Ring, Cicada - Good Morning Mr. Good

A couple songs with lyrics, but they are really good songs. "La Renard" is one of them, awesome song. And the song "March" is a good one.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • smarchee wrote:

Speaking of Explosions, I really like the Friday Night Lights soundtrack they did. The entire soundtrack is done by them. Listenting to it right now.

Not to take away from the brilliance that is Explosions In The Sky from that soundtrack, but my favorite tune by far (which is also instrumental) is Sonho Dourado by Daniel Lanois.

I'm actually able to listen to it now, but in the beginning when I first got the CD, that song brought me to tears every time.