The Annual "Top 5 Albums of the Year" Poll

Comments

• pjl44 wrote:
    Black Lab love...nice! I've been keeping up with them, too. The record is probably in my top ten, but too much good music this year...

i was surprised to see someone with black lab on there! i also have been trying to keep up with them. i didn't get the electronic/remix album though. did anybody here get it? i hope that they can pull together a touring band sometime soon. i'd love to go to a black lab show!
  • boroff89 wrote:
    This is an interesting question. Being a typical ethnocentric American, I had been going with the US release dates (as with the Silversun Pickups). What do others think about this particular case?

we should also be asking whether or not we should allow for 'leaked' albums to be on the list
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Sixx: A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack (it isn't a soundtrack to a movie)
    Sevendust - Alpha
    Alterbridge - Blackbird
    Ben Harper - Lifeline
    Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    we should also be asking whether or not we should allow for 'leaked' albums to be on the list

Haha. No, no leaked albums. Albums officially released for the first time somewhere in the world during the year 2007.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    My votes goes tooooo (In no particular order)

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (brilliant comeback by Reznor after the lukewarm With Teeth)
    Radiohead - In Rainbows (lovely album. Really lovely album)
    Modest Mouse- We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (Quality as always from those guys, going in a more orchestrated and epic direction now, like Spitting Venom and Parting of the Sensory)
    White Stripes - Icky Thump (my fave WS album of them all I think. A bit more "rawk" sound that really suits them)
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (solid album, if not so surprising. But they know their stuff alright.)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    some good albums mentioned already :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • radiohead -in rainbows
    the arcade fire - neon bible
    the national - boxer
    white stripes - icky thump
    spoon - ga ga ga ga ga
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Nothing groundbreaking here, but I love 'em:

Dinosaur Jr - Beyond
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild
    Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
    Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
    Elliott Smith - New Moon
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
    White Stripes -Icky Thump
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
    Biffy Clyro - Puzzle
    QOTSA - Era Vulgaris

Honourable Mentions:
    Minus The Bear - Planet of Ice
    Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • bump
    the Minions
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,225
    i was surprised to see someone with black lab on there! i also have been trying to keep up with them. i didn't get the electronic/remix album though. did anybody here get it? i hope that they can pull together a touring band sometime soon. i'd love to go to a black lab show!

Technologie...ehhhh...depends on how big a fan you are. Not my cup of tea, but I bought it to support the cause. I saw 'em once way back when YBAM was out and I'd really like to see 'em again.
  • DananDanan Posts: 94
    Radiohead- In Rainbows
    Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
    Ben Harper- Lifeline
    Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
    Wellington 26/2/98
    Melbourne 13/11/06
    Melbourne 14/11/06
    Melbourne 16/11/06
    Seattle 21/9/09
    Seattle 22/9/09
    Auckland 27/11/09
    Christchurch 29/11/09
  • I'm not surpirsed that Neon Bible is doing so well, but I am dissapointed. Just not a fan of Arcade Fire at all.

Am I alone?
  • I'm not surpirsed that Neon Bible is doing so well, but I am dissapointed. Just not a fan of Arcade Fire at all.

Am I alone?

I despise their overrated shit... which is all of it... I just really don't like it... I can't beleive all the hype

Am I alone?

not a big fan either

I totally forgot about Band of Horses when I voted. Love the new album.
    the Minions
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild

For the 500th time, no Into the Wild. Please vote for something else. We all love Ed. Think of this as the Best of 2007 that does not involve a release from Pearl Jam or a member of Pearl Jam.
    Again, we'll discuss the results in a separate thread when the voting is done, but regarding Neon Bible, it is not only my favorite album of the year, it is my favorite album of the decade. I can understand people who really are into bluesy guitar driven rock not getting into Arcade Fire. However, I firmly believe that if you see them live and are not completely moved, you are broken on the inside. I don't know how else to say it. I eat, sleep, and breathe music. My CD collection goes back to Louis Armstrong's Hot 5 recordings from the late 1920s. For the longest time, Pearl Jam stood on a pedestal above every other band/artist I had heard as the one that had the biggest impact on me and moved me the most. Arcade Fire has just about risen to that level as well. There has never been another band like them (the Talking Heads comparisons are ridiculous), and I don't think there will ever be another band like them again. It's like in Garden State where Natalie Portman's character emphasizes the importance of completely unique moments. Arcade Fire is one of those completely unique and beautiful moments.
  • the national - boxer
    radiohead - in rainbows
    modest mouse - we were dead before the ship even sank
    lcd soundsystem - sounds of silver
    spoon - ga ga ga ga ga
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Again, we'll discuss the results in a separate thread when the voting is done, but regarding Neon Bible, it is not only my favorite album of the year, it is my favorite album of the decade. I can understand people who really are into bluesy guitar driven rock not getting into Arcade Fire. However, I firmly believe that if you see them live and are not completely moved, you are broken on the inside. I don't know how else to say it. I eat, sleep, and breathe music. My CD collection goes back to Louis Armstrong's Hot 5 recordings from the late 1920s. For the longest time, Pearl Jam stood on a pedestal above every other band/artist I had heard as the one that had the biggest impact on me and moved me the most. Arcade Fire has just about risen to that level as well. There has never been another band like them (the Talking Heads comparisons are ridiculous), and I don't think there will ever be another band like them again. It's like in Garden State where Natalie Portman's character emphasizes the importance of completely unique moments. Arcade Fire is one of those completely unique and beautiful moments.

for someone not discussing we sure are discussing aren't we?
    :)
    the Minions
    for someone not discussing we sure are discussing aren't we?
    :)

lol To be continued then.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    has to be Arcade Fire, Into the Wild and Plant/Krauss... easily. Silverchair is also up there with Wilco.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    has to be Arcade Fire, Into the Wild and Plant/Krauss... easily. Silverchair is also up there with Wilco.

Again, no Into the Wild please.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    boroff89 wrote:
    Apparently a 2006 release. Can you please leave a new post letting me know what you want to replace it with?
    Ooops...I'll pick EVs Into the Wild then j/k
    Radiohead- In Rainbows (just recently download this because of this thread)
    Great job on keeping up w/ all this by the way
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    Bjork - Volta
    Modest Mouse - We were dead before the ship even sank
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    boroff89 wrote:
    For the 500th time, no Into the Wild. Please vote for something else. We all love Ed. Think of this as the Best of 2007 that does not involve a release from Pearl Jam or a member of Pearl Jam.

Oops! Sorry!

Okay, let me think...In that case I'll go for the Wilco album. Only had it a couple of weeks, but it's a pretty strong album.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
    PJ Habit wrote:
    Ooops...I'll pick EVs Into the Wild then j/k
    Radiohead- In Rainbows (just recently download this because of this thread)
    Great job on keeping up w/ all this by the way

lol Thanks. Fixed.
    Bumping this. Again, please don't vote for Into the Wild.
  • Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest of Times
    Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
    Bruce Springsteen - Magic
    Son Volt - The Search
    Kings of Leon - Because of times
  • acidfuelacidfuel Posts: 153
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Feist - the reminder
    The Shins- Wincing the Night Away
    Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
    Matthew Good - Hospital Music (the lack of love for this record is astonishing)
    The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour
    Wintersleep - Welcome to the Night Sky
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?