My Morning Jacket - EVIL URGES = amazing

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    stylo17 wrote:
    is "Good Intentions" supposed to be 6 seconds long or is that just the version I downloaded?? it's all just screaming for like 2 seconds and "okay cool" and that's it....

Yep that is how it is supposed to be.

I thought i might have had a bad copy at first as well but good intentions is really not a "song"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • someone help a brother out!!!

i need this!!

shamilton12@zoominternet.net
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    intodeep wrote:
    Yep that is how it is supposed to be.

I thought i might have had a bad copy at first as well but good intentions is really not a "song"

oh perfect. I thought it didn't finish or something.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • I seriously Cant Wait For the Release, i am dying to hear it. i have already heard the song Evil Urges, and its friggin great, cant wait to hear the rest
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • I download the single Evil Urges today from the MMJ website. Wow. I love it. I haven't been able to stop listening to it!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Urges.

I can't wait for the new album.
  • where is everyone finding this album? someone send me in the direction of the link please!!
  • someone help a brother out!!!

i need this!!

shamilton12@zoominternet.net

done :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I can't stop listening to it... I went to sleep with it on last night and travelled to work with it this morning :o

'I'm Amazed' really is... urm... amazing! Tbh though, there isn't a song I dislike on the album.

Here, anyone else think 'Thank You Too' sounds a bit 70's?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• this album is amazing as a whole. to those who don't like the experimentation, to me, that's what mmj is, a band with great fundamentals who loves to experiment. i can't really compare this with any of their other albums, which to me is how it should be. as a fan of pearl jam, i can truly appreciate a band progressing their sound with each album. overall, though, there was a lot of talk about this year being a weak one musically. With warpaint (black crowes), attack & release (black keys), and evil urges, for me this is shaping up to be one of the better musical years in recent memory
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
    I can't stop listening to it... I went to sleep with it on last night and travelled to work with it this morning :o

'I'm Amazed' really is... urm... amazing! Tbh though, there isn't a song I dislike on the album.

Here, anyone else think 'Thank You Too' sounds a bit 70's?

I did not catch the 70's vibe there but i do think it is a very good song. A great ballad.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I did not catch the 70's vibe there but i do think it is a very good song. A great ballad.

Oh I agree, it is a great song but to me it's got a real 70's American pop sound to it... it's great! :D

• didn't hear any song of the album yet... can't wait to buy the album though! If it's like Z it will definetely be the album of the year (for me)...
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Oh I agree, it is a great song but to me it's got a real 70's American pop sound to it... it's great! :D

I heart the 70s vibe in the song for sure, but its emerging as one of my favourites already! I get chills because of the way Jim James sings this line -

"I don't what you were doin', i know i just want to thank you for thinkin' of me"

Epic.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

didn't hear any song of the album yet... can't wait to buy the album though! If it's like Z it will definetely be the album of the year (for me)...

I don't think it is near as good as Z or It Still moves to be honest, but it has some good songs. If you are a fan of the band you'll enjoy the listen.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    if there is one thing missing on this album... its a WOAH song. don't get me wrong, i really like the album... but the other albums have 1-2 songs that are just... WOAH

The Tennessee Fire has I Think I'm Going to hell
    It Still Moves has Run Through
    Z has Lay Low and Dondante

Z was the first MMJ album i got because of all the hype they received on these forums when they opened for PJ. Lay Low and Dondante are the songs that SOLD me on them. Those two songs are still some of my favorites from the crew.

I don't want an album full of WOAH songs, but 1-2 mixed in would be great. nonetheless Evil Urges is still a great album!
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    lephty wrote:
    if there is one thing missing on this album... its a WOAH song. don't get me wrong, i really like the album... but the other albums have 1-2 songs that are just... WOAH

The Tennessee Fire has I Think I'm Going to hell
    It Still Moves has Run Through
    Z has Lay Low and Dondante

Z was the first MMJ album i got because of all the hype they received on these forums when they opened for PJ. Lay Low and Dondante are the songs that SOLD me on them. Those two songs are still some of my favorites from the crew.

I don't want an album full of WOAH songs, but 1-2 mixed in would be great. nonetheless Evil Urges is still a great album!

Fair point! Evil Urges has three 'WOAH' songs for me at the moment - Highly Suspicious, Thank You Too, and Touch Me part 2. They blow me away.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    ive said woah and what the hell a few times to highly suspicious, but the rest of the album is really great....new direction and its working for them

anybody feel the zep vibe starting at 3:03 of evil urges.

i cant stop listening to this album. im hooked. touch me im going to scream is a beaut. so serene.

also nobody is mentioning how country and out of left field sec walkin is. what do you think of it?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    also, i hope that the pemberton festival is not MMJ's only stop through the vancouver area. that would really suck for me. i have to see them, in like the orpheum or something. would be amazing
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    I think Highly Suspicious is the wow song on this album... i'm just staying wow for a different reason then i have in the past.

I like it but it almost sounds like it should have been a hidden track or something. although in a way it is cool for the band to include it in the album.

I bet it will be fun live.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • this is my fav. band in the world. I can't help it. Pearl Jam doesnt do it for me anymore like My Morning Jacket does. Flame on.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    this is my fav. band in the world. I can't help it. Pearl Jam doesnt do it for me anymore like My Morning Jacket does. Flame on.

I've been saying this since "It Still Moves"...MMJ are probably making the best music of anyone right now (maybe tied with Radiohead). Glad to see people are really realizing it now.

I haven't even heard this album yet..I'm waiting for the legit release. Its tough to wait though.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    also, i hope that the pemberton festival is not MMJ's only stop through the vancouver area. that would really suck for me. i have to see them, in like the orpheum or something. would be amazing

Me too...Pemberton is too much $$ for me, so I hope they do another show here. I have a feeling they will.
  • Yeah, like somebody else asked where did yall get the leak? I am no doubt buying the album on release day but I need a new MMJ fix. Please help out. thanks!
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Yeah, like somebody else asked where did yall get the leak? I am no doubt buying the album on release day but I need a new MMJ fix. Please help out. thanks!

I guess I'm "old-fashioned"....gonna wait for the excitement of release date & come home, listen & rejoice! I too need an MMJ "fix"...been listening to them all night. Hey, waves roll in - didn't you get the MP3 that MMJ emailed those of us on their email list? Free download of "Evil Urges" .......hmm? Check it out.
  • Igottago wrote:
    I've been saying this since "It Still Moves"...MMJ are probably making the best music of anyone right now (maybe tied with Radiohead). Glad to see people are really realizing it now.

I haven't even heard this album yet..I'm waiting for the legit release. Its tough to wait though.
    The song Masterplan from It Still Moves got me hooked. I've been obsessively listening to Thank You now.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    I was already listening to this at the moment i found this Thread. In my Opinion, Its the album to Beat. It has blown me away.
  • This album is amazing. Blown away right off the bat. I love the fact that this band is not afraid to evolve and change their sound. It is very different from previous efforts but outstanding nonetheless. IMO, their best work to date. Evil Urges, I'm Amazed, Touch Me Parts 1 and 2, Remnants, Aluminum Park, and Thank You Too are all owning me right now....
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    Yeah, like somebody else asked where did yall get the leak? I am no doubt buying the album on release day but I need a new MMJ fix. Please help out. thanks!

Me too, pretty please. I always buy (multiple) copies of my fave bands. MMJ is right up there with the best, and I've only had a chance to hear "Evil Urges" and it's bad ass.

reluctant_messiah@hotmail.com

Pretty please. And thanks!
  • bold99bold99 Posts: 17
    This album is just mind blowing for me...I can't stop listening to it....I can't believe nobody mentioned the Pearl Jam Influence on "Remmnants"....I can already see Eddie's guest vocals when these two bands get together again.
    buncha bullshit threads going around involving EVIL URGES

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

bump