My Morning Jacket - EVIL URGES = amazing

RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
edited July 2008 in Other Music
My station just got it - no single to be played until May 6th (which is part 2 of Touch Me I'm Going to Scream).........BUT I DID LISTEN TO IT!

WOW WOW WOW.

I think this may be album of the year....it blew me away on first listen and that never happens to me.

Tracks that standout: "I'm Amazed" "Aluminum Park" "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream" (BOTH PART 1 and 2)

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
-JJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Im Amazed is easily their best song off the album.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    can't wait to hear the album...
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I've listened to the album a few times already and the songs that really stand out to me are "Evil Urges" and "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1". The next 3 songs "Highly Suspicious", "I'm Amazed" and "Thank You Too" I really don't like at all but the rest of the album is pretty good.
  • Evil Urges, Librarian and Aluminum Park are early standouts for this pilled-up Jacobite.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    spnkri wrote:
    I've listened to the album a few times already and the songs that really stand out to me are "Evil Urges" and "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1". The next 3 songs "Highly Suspicious", "I'm Amazed" and "Thank You Too" I really don't like at all but the rest of the album is pretty good.

dude, highly suspicious sounds fucked. its like prince. the chorus is ridiculous and strange. i would not think that was MMJ in a million years. im iffy on the whole album right now...havent heard the last half yet...still getting to it. but man i was shocked at highly suspicious.

also sec walkin is pretty darn weak if you ask me.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Evil Urges+I'm Amazed+Aluminum Park+Remnants=

BADASS TO THE MAX
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have every plan to buy this the day it comes out.

but if anyone has a nice link they would like for me to look at please feel free to pm me :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    intodeep wrote:
    I have every plan to buy this the day it comes out.

but if anyone has a nice link they would like for me to look at please feel free to pm me :)

:)

I've listened to it a couple of times and i love it! Touch Me I'm Going to Scream part 2, Highly Suspicious, Sec Walkin', Aluminium Park, Thank You Too, Remnant etc are all fantastic and show a different sound for the band. I like that they're trying new things.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• I was sent it this morning but alas, it does not work :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I was sent it this morning but alas, it does not work :(

I have now been sent it in a different format and i'm downloading it as I type... I will pass judgement when it has been listened to :cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• It is good.....after one listen I deleted it so it'll be fairly fresh when I buy it on June 10th. Can't wait to blast a high-quality version on the ol' stereo. The title track is awesome, as the vocals are a bit different for James with the ultra high falsetto (in Highly Suspicious as well), but it also includes vintage MMJ rock about three minutes into the song. I'm diggin so far.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • My verdict?

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD!!!

It's awesome!!!

I'm completely in love with Highly Suspicious... it's like a dirty 80's Prince track but better!

Aluminium Park and Evil Urges are probably my next favourites.... damn! It's one hell of an album! :D

• DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    what about smokin' from shootin' that songs awesome too.
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Ive never heard MMJ before but was gonna listen to this later.

will I like it? (bear in mind ive been listening to nothing but Mastodon and Down since Saturday)
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i love this album... highly suspicious is a really odd tune, but i am liking it. it sounds like a fun song for them to be playing!

i can't wait to go to Radio City now!
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I'm really jealous of you guys. I've only head Evil Urges and Touch Me part 2, and I love them both. I have every intention on buying the album on june 10th, but I wish there was a way for me to listen to the album so I can get ready for bonnaroo.

*edit* Thanks guys!
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
    Ive never heard MMJ before but was gonna listen to this later.

will I like it? (bear in mind ive been listening to nothing but Mastodon and Down since Saturday)

They sound nothing like those two bands.

You should check out the Baroness though if you've been grooving to those two.

They are from Savannah GA great sound great drummer lots of comparisons to Mastodon (obviously they are from the same area but they make a similar kind of groove metal)

you should probably check out MMJ at some point though. In particular check out a few songs from their album It Still Moves like Run Thru, Golden, & One Big Holiday.

Those songs generally make folks fans :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I'm loving this album. It's very different to Z, and I wasn't sure what to make of it initially...but it's great!

Evil Urges, Touch Me I'm Going To Scream (1&2), Librarian, Thank You Too, Remnants and I'm Amazed are stand out tracks to me. And Highly Suspicious doesn't sound a thing like MMJ...but I still like it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I hate to put a bad taste in anyones mouth, but when i listen to highly suspicious, i feel like a pedophile. It just sounds like some raunchy kids song. I kinda like it, but for that reason i feel wierd listening to it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    I have an mp3 up on my blog (just see the sig and scroll down 1-2 subjects).

They are on Saturday Night Live on May 10th as well.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    toddiet123 wrote:
    I have an mp3 up on my blog (just see the sig and scroll down 1-2 subjects).

They are on Saturday Night Live on May 10th as well.

Yeah can't wait for their SNL performance. I like that they're finally getting some mainstream recognition too.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    yeah the SNL performances should be great, i cant wait for that.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    Well I've made it through the first 5 songs. I'm not sure what to think of the first 3, but I'm Amazed and Thank you Too are really cool

After hearing Im Amazed i literally cheered saying "thats the my morning jacket i remember!"

I'll have to listen to it a few times before i judge the entire album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    At times it's like the Flaming Lips and MMJ had a baby.

Thank You Too

is on my myspace ... http://www.myspace.com/bobasfeet

(for a day)
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 406
    any one else think Touch me part 2 sounds Pink Floydish???

i dunno something about it
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
    really diggin touch me im going to scream. its such a different sound....the whole album, im still a little shocked.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    this WILL be a great album I can feel it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    I've listened to the album 3 times now and it is good. I don't think i'll end up liking it more then Z or It Still Moves, but i'm not sure where i'd rank it amongst Ten Fire or At Dawn yet.

There are some rockers on the latter half of the album that is for sure.

Renmats sounds like One Big Holiday's little brother. Probably has a lot to do with the drumming in the begining.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • audiodave wrote:
    And Highly Suspicious doesn't sound a thing like MMJ...

no, it sounds like a dirty Prince song....
    I hate to put a bad taste in anyones mouth, but when i listen to highly suspicious, i feel like a pedophile. It just sounds like some raunchy kids song. I kinda like it, but for that reason i feel wierd listening to it.

See, I think it's kinda raunchy too... I love it :o

• stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    is "Good Intentions" supposed to be 6 seconds long or is that just the version I downloaded?? it's all just screaming for like 2 seconds and "okay cool" and that's it....
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around