anyone listen to rap?

Comments

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    i'd feel like shooting them in the head with a magical gun that doesn't kill but instead magically rids them of their close-mindedness if they do make such statements. :D
    I'll do it: all rap sucks. Period.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I'll do it: all rap sucks. Period.

OUCH!!!!!that hurts........I'm going to get Fifty after y'all........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    writersu wrote:
    No, my son does like both but the one he mentioned is one called Rakim........heard of him?
    Heard of him?! :D Rakim is pretty much considered the greatest rapper ever. Not the most popular or successful but the most technically gifted. The first 3 Eric B and Rakim albums are godly. I LOVE Rakim :) I am thinking about going to see him in march in London. I'll probably be the only white kid there though :D Your son has good taste.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Heard of him?! :D Rakim is pretty much considered the greatest rapper ever. Not the most popular or successful but the most technically gifted. The first 3 Eric B and Rakim albums are godly. I LOVE Rakim :) I am thinking about going to see him in march in London. I'll probably be the only white kid there though :D Your son has good taste.

Yes he's a legend, a poet laureate here's an example from his days with Eric B. called...Casualities Of War

I saw him in Washington DC on the last night of his tour and we waited till 1:15am some 2 and half hours later. He rocked the house for the next 2 hours though and it was well worth the wait.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Yes he's a legend, a poet laureate here's an example from his days with Eric B. called...Casualities Of War

I saw him in Washington DC on the last night of his tour and we waited till 1:15am some 2 and half hours later. He rocked the house for the next 2 hours though and it was well worth the wait.

Peace

wow...........that is awesome.......

he really is a great lyricist.......the video images are also great....I don't know why he is not more well known; he sure has the talent....maybe it's his choice not to be so in the limelight....what do you think?

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    writersu wrote:
    wow...........that is awesome.......

he really is a great lyricist.......the video images are also great....I don't know why he is not more well known; he sure has the talent....maybe it's his choice not to be so in the limelight....what do you think?
    The thing with Rakim is, amongst people who listen to real hip-hop and not this 50 cent and Chamillionaire crap that you see on TV, he is MASSIVELY respected, like a God. He just never really had the same success as the other people around at the time like Run DMC. Rakim practically reinvented rapping though. No one used the same sort of complex internal rhyme structures and stuff. The song Follow the Leader is rhythmically more precise than anything by poets like William Wordsworth. He plays with the beat, adapting it to suit him and not vice versa. It's incredible.

Wow... I'm such a geek :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-rEpM6OhQ&feature=related
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The thing with Rakim is, amongst people who listen to real hip-hop and not this 50 cent and Chamillionaire crap that you see on TV, he is MASSIVELY respected, like a God. He just never really had the same success as the other people around at the time like Run DMC. Rakim practically reinvented rapping though. No one used the same sort of complex internal rhyme structures and stuff. The song Follow the Leader is rhythmically more precise than anything by poets like William Wordsworth. He plays with the beat, adapting it to suit him and not vice versa. It's incredible.

Wow... I'm such a geek :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-rEpM6OhQ&feature=related

No, not at all a geek.........really..........

he is so talented. and yeah, I can see the way he works the words along with the beat, yes, that is a talent. It really was evident in the Casualties of War video that I saw here. That is a talent because think about it; to keep the beat up you have to make the beat work as well as the words so they don't end up sounding stupid just to rhyme.

I am so glad that you guys turned me onto this as well as my son; I had no clue about Rakim until you guys brought up this thread and then I asked my son who was his all time favorite and then when he sais Rakim I got to hear him.....there is a lot of music whether rap or whatever that is crap and finding good ones is like a diamond in the rough, you know?
    And yeah, I like "Fitty" as my sons and I joke but I know what you mean....we all have our favorites and likes to dislikes, right??

• I'll do it: all rap sucks. Period.

Yup. But I wouldn't say it all sucks, just 99% of it.

The other 1% is okay in a novelty/nostalgic kind of way, never to be taken seriously.
    was it?....
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    kool moe dee........first intellectual rapper i came across.

i also like xzibit.....concentrate.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    Yup. But I wouldn't say it all sucks, just 99% of it.

The other 1% is okay in a novelty/nostalgic kind of way, never to be taken seriously.
    wow. you know nothing.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    wow. you know nothing.

and I think you should start a "why I hate rap". no, but why would someone go on an "anyone listen to rap?" thread just to bash it when you see that it is people who like it talking?

just curious.........

and again, btw, it is not all crap. but we all have our own likes/dislikes.

but just because we don't like it doesn't make it a fact; just an opinion.

writersu wrote:
    and I think you should start a "why I hate rap". no, but why would someone go on an "anyone listen to rap?" thread just to bash it when you see that it is people who like it talking?

just curious.........

and again, btw, it is not all crap. but we all have our own likes/dislikes.

but just because we don't like it doesn't make it a fact; just an opinion.
    haha why did you quote me when you said that and not the guy who said it was crap? :)
  • Yup. But I wouldn't say it all sucks, just 99% of it.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    wow. you know nothing.

Knowing what you don't like, is something...so how could they know nothing?

The way I look at it is like this.

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but I'll use Pearl Jam here for the example. I've been
    listening to Pearl Jam now for about 18 years. I currently listen to stuff they did 18 years ago, and
    I listen to stuff they have done most recently, and everything in-between.

I can't be completely sure, but I do have a really strong feeling that I'll probably be listening to Pearl Jam
    for next 18 years, and beyond. Their music stands the test of time.

Now, can anyone HONESTLY say that they listen to, on a continuous basis, rap that was made 18 years ago?

And, can anyone really see themselves listening to rap 18 years from now (which, for most of us will be
    when we're in our 40's and 50's)?

If you answered yes to the first question...really? C'mon.

If you answered yes to the second question...C'mon, you're delusional. A forty year old who listens to rap??? Just plain silliness.

Bottom line; rap is the most elementary and fickle forms of entertainment/music, and simply does not stand the test of time.

So that's why, in the words of intheflesh? "It can't be taken seriously"
    If money is the root of all evil, then how come most religions ask for so much of it from their followers?

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but I'll use Pearl Jam here for the example. I've been
    listening to Pearl Jam now for about 18 years. I currently listen to stuff they did 18 years ago, and

I can't be completely sure, but I do have a really strong feeling that I'll probably be listening to Pearl Jam

Now, can anyone HONESTLY say that they listen to, on a continuous basis, rap that was made 18 years ago?

And, can anyone really see themselves listening to rap 18 years from now (which, for most of us will be

If you answered yes to the second question...C'mon, you're delusional. A forty year old who listens to rap??? Just plain silliness.

Bottom line; rap is the most elementary and fickle forms of entertainment/music, and simply does not stand the test of time.

For the life of me why would you assume such a thing? I listened to rap when it got big in the late 70's and I still listen to some of it now and I'm 45. To break it down for me rap 15%, HMetal 30%, Reggae 20% and hard rock for the rest.

All music is good like what you but respect others who may like something you care nothing for.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    For the life of me why would you assume such a thing? I listened to rap when it got big in the late 70's and I still listen to some of it now and I'm 45. To break it down for me rap 15%, HMetal 30%, Reggae 20% and hard rock for the rest.

All music is good like what you but respect others who may like something you care nothing for.

Peace

I wrote nothing disrespectful.

"All music is good?" WHAT!? No it's not. Some of it is really bad.
    If money is the root of all evil, then how come most religions ask for so much of it from their followers?
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Only rap I like is LL Cool J and some Beastie Boys.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    I wrote nothing disrespectful.

"All music is good?" WHAT!? No it's not. Some of it is really bad.

Exactly, that's why rap for me is very very selective and I meant no disrespect to you in general. It's all good. You won't hear me listening to 50 Cent and other commercial rappers.

Peace

Your ignorance is astounding. How much hip-hop have you listened to? Evidently not a lot. It's not just the crap you see on MTV you know. It's just as valid a genre as any other. Christ, I think it's pretty embarrassing when a 40 year-old still listens to angst-ridden "grunge" music but it's their choice. I said the guy knows nothing because he is clearly not a person who listens to hip-hop and yet claims to know that NONE of it is to be taken seriously. Please, go and listen to a song like B.I.B.L.E by Killah Priest from GZA's album Liquid Swords, or even something as mainstream as Changes by Tupac. yeah, really novel stuff there.

I despair about some people. Don't talk about what you do not know, it just highlights ignorance. And yes, I regularly listen to hip-hop that was made 18 years ago. I listen to hip-hop that was made 25 years ago and I don't think that means I have poor taste in music. I happen to have very good taste in music and the hip-hop I listen to is some of the best of it.

Rant over.
  • Rap is gimmick fueled marketing scheme that takes little to no musicianship (and by musicianship, I mean playing an actual musical instrument) and has as much depth and range as a rain puddle.
    was it?....
    Rap is gimmick fueled marketing scheme that takes little to no musicianship (and by musicianship, I mean playing an actual musical instrument) and has as much depth and range as a rain puddle.
    Oh sweet Jesus, some people are hilarious.

Marketing scheme? Yes, crap like Lil Jon and his crunk juice and fat ass. that isn't real rap music. Some people need to do a little investigation before they pass comment on things they have no knowledge about. I assume that you don't like singers then? If the voice isn't an instrument? You know what happens when you pluck a guitar string? all you do is transfer kinetic energy into sound energy, it isn't difficult, I know because I play it. You know what happens when you're a hip-hop producer, one of the greats like DJ Premier or Pete Rock? you root through your old blue note jazz vinyls and hear a 3 second clip that you KNOW you can paint a masterpiece with if you sample it, same way a photographer just captures a moment on film. They didn't paint the picture so are they not an artist? Art is conceptual, not mechanical, unless you like shit like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Then we have the technical ability needed to be a good rapper. It's not just lyricism, which is of paramount importance. Some rappers are fantastic lyricists and poor rappers. Rhythmic ability is extremely important. A brilliant rapper understands the musicality of a piece of music as well as the rhythm section of a rock band and plays to their strengths. The notion that because it's not using a guitar, bass and a drum , it's not music is so fucking retarded I can barely believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuUZ1NnmRCc
    Listen, learn and realise that the song I just posted is a masterpiece.

Ps, go and listen to The Roots, a hip-hop group that play all their own instruments, guitars, bass, drums and all. On record and in concert.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    haha why did you quote me when you said that and not the guy who said it was crap? :)

because you were right..............

I am 44. case closed.................

writersu wrote:
    because you were right..............
    about the poster knowing nothing?
  • i would argue that jay-z is the most overrated rapper ever. . .ive never understood his popularity. . .he has like 2 or 3 songs that are decent. . .other than that, he sucks
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    i would argue that jay-z is the most overrated rapper ever. . .ive never understood his popularity. . .he has like 2 or 3 songs that are decent. . .other than that, he sucks
    I agree that he is overrated. Maybe not the most though. His first album Reasonable Doubt is a classic. It's a shame that it's his more recent, worse stuff that is more recognised.
    Rap is gimmick fueled marketing scheme that takes little to no musicianship (and by musicianship, I mean playing an actual musical instrument) and has as much depth and range as a rain puddle.

Yes, however the same could me said about Heavy Metal which I also love. There's some rap artists who use actual intruments and can play them too and write lyrics that mean or stand for something.

Example the one song of Jay-Z that I like Minority Report I

In these lyrics one can feel the pain these were going through....something that means something, that's all.

Minotiry Report II Short Version

Peace

Also I've become very selective in the rap I'll choose to listen too. Again something that means something and has an issue that affects us here in America.

This is from a friend of mine Micheal Franti back in 1992 when he led the rap group Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy...with his song TELEVISION: Drug of a Nation.

Peace

• ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    hold on......i am 35 and quite certain i will still enjoy snoop dogg, kool moe dee, xzibit, cypress hill, beastie boys, and one song by m&m "lose yourself" while sitting in my rocking chair on the front porch watching my grandchildren throw pudding and jello at me.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    about the poster knowing nothing?

uhuh.................

people who make what I refer these to as "blanket statements", you know the ones who say things like, "All white people are this.........blah, blah, blah.." or "All music before the nineties was pretty much crap, blah, blah, blah" or in the strangest of ways and mindsets here;.........."all rap sucks....".

This may not give an accurate description of who this person is truly but I will say the possibilities...............Maybe he's one of those who missed his calling as music critic, you know like derogotas from chgo..........he is awful---maybe he can apply there.........
    and he needs to give the rest of us his opinion to enlighten us who know nothing..................
    Or maybe he has musical Napoleon syndrome; you know; all I like is great and all I dislike is shit...........or maybe, just maybe..........

he is so bored that to rile us up in a coversation defending a music that doesn't need defending is making him feel important or maybe entertained. Or better yet, let's turn him on to better stuff than he knows and by the end of the day, he'll be cool, talk better and have better street cred.............

or maybe not???????????????

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    libragirl wrote:
    Only rap I like is LL Cool J and some Beastie Boys.

Radio and License To Ill are basically the same record except Licensed To Ill has better rappers, guitar samples, and beats.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson