anyone listen to rap?

justjoshingujustjoshingu Posts: 538
edited January 2008 in Other Music
gangsta or pop rap or whatever.

i haveto admit i will listen to kanye here and there, or fity, or jay-z. not like a hardcore listener but sometimes you hear stronger by kanye and are singing it for half a day.

i will also add this. rap isnt as hardcore as when i was growing up.
NWA-fuck the police
ICE T - Cop killer
etc

50 cent-in da club
jay-z -- H to the izzo...
mean people suck!
but nice people sw****w

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wrong forum.

But yes. I do.

Kanye put out the best album last year, IMO. He is freakin' great.

I love a shit load of Hip-Hop. The Roots, Tribe, Jurassic 5, Talib, Nas, Jay-Z, you name it.

Pop rap they play in the clubs is pretty shit, though.

I also have a soft spot for Houston rap including Slim Thug, Mike Jones, and Chamillionaire.
  • wu tang clan, cypress hill, snoop dogg are all on my ipod. along with pearl jam, modest mouse, interpol, jazz, glenn campbell, johnny cash... heh, pretty darn eclectic mix i got.

listen to the ghost dog soundtrack.... that jim jarmusch film. it's got music from the rza of wu tang clan... that hip hop stuff is really great music. it truly is a master work of music. people oughtta listen to it more. it's great music to chill with too.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • yeah... I do

ICP, Cypress Hill and Necro predominantly.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • *waits for the first RAP IS CRAP reply*
  • *waits for the first RAP IS CRAP reply*
    i'd feel like shooting them in the head with a magical gun that doesn't kill but instead magically rids them of their close-mindedness if they do make such statements. :D
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • primarily old-school stuff: run-dmc, eric b and rakim, boogie down productions, marley marl, biz markie

also some older acts that are still around like the beastie boys and cypress hill and some west coast stuff like dr. dre and nwa.

of the current stuff, i like little of it, although the jim jones ballin song is catchy.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • I listen to Outkast.
  • i listen to the digital underground sometimes.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    gangsta or pop rap or whatever.

i haveto admit i will listen to kanye here and there, or fity, or jay-z. not like a hardcore listener but sometimes you hear stronger by kanye and are singing it for half a day.

i will also add this. rap isnt as hardcore as when i was growing up.
    NWA-fuck the police
    ICE T - Cop killer
    etc

50 cent-in da club
    jay-z -- H to the izzo...

im down with FITTY, jigga man, LOVE young jeezy. I used to listen to alot of NWA, Ice Cube, EPMD, biz, haaaaaaaaaaated too $hort but the guys got skill. Definitely RUN DMC. Good times.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    The Pharcyde, Arsonists, DITC, Run DMC, Cypress Hill, Fugees, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Talib Kweli, Wu Tang, NWA... Gang Starr
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I like original stuff, and artists who can pronounce things. However those requirements are few and far between in the rap genre these days. I love Tupac's works. And more recently Kanye West, Outkast, and the Black Eyed Peas.
    "It's all happening"
  • NO!!!
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Stetsasonic, Slick Rick, Ultramagnetic MCs, A Tribe Called Quest all awesome in my book.
    Also, 'Illmatic' by Nas is one of my all time fave albums.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • I listen to some rap. Love the old school stuff the best. My favorite stuff is NWA. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the new stuff too though.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • De La Soul
    Tribe Called Quest
    Nas
    J5
    Roots
    Cypress Hill

all good stuff.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I can listen to almost anything BUT rap.
    I like Beastie Boys but they have a lot of rock in their music.
    But Homeboy Rap? No Way.
    Wait......ok, I will listen to old school Run DMC. Thats it.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    in the early days

but when the 2 best rappers ( biggie and pac ) are dead .....

"kick in the door ,wave in the 44 ,all ya heard was poppa dont hit me no more "
  • I listen to alot of hip hop

NWA
    Jurassic 5
    Ice Cube
    Ice T (and bodycount)
    Dead Prez
    wu tang
    redman and method man
    raekwon
    people under the stairs
    Outkast

and lots more :)
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I do like some, though not very much. Pretty much hate all the (c)rap that you hear on the radio, but that isn't limited to any musical genre. I know very little rap, and I haven't bothered to look any further into it as of it.

The only stuff I really listen to is Saul Williams, though he is very rock influenced.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I do not understand why a white guy would listen to Gansta rap?
    Those people singing do not like you and most likely the are singing about you in one way or another.
    Younger people today blow my mind. When I see a white guy dressing up like a rapper with his pants hanging down below his ass and his hat sideways, it makes me laugh b/c he looks silly.
    I hope none of you in here do dress like that.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • No, not really. I listen to some of the older stuff (RUN DMC, etc) but like is a strong word.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    yes

big fan of the beasties, jay-z, the tribe, Q-tip solo, jurassic 5, del tha funky homo sapien...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    in the early days

but when the 2 best rappers ( biggie and pac ) are dead .....

"kick in the door ,wave in the 44 ,all ya heard was poppa dont hit me no more "

indeed biggie was the man (from brooklyn's finest)

Hit ya, back split ya, fuck fist fights and lame scuffles
    Pillow case to your face, make the shell muffle
    Shoot your daughter in the calf muscle
    Fuck a tussle, nickel-plated
    Sprinkle coke on the floor, make it drug related, most hated
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I really like listening to Nas. And yes I have two of his albums, Illmatic and It Was Written.
    I also listen to Wu-Tang Clan, Cypress Hill, Beasties, Naughty By Nature.

I prefer the groups over a solo act. But always though Nas is and was an incredible storyteller.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • I do not understand why a white guy would listen to Gansta rap?
    Those people singing do not like you and most likely the are singing about you in one way or another.
    Younger people today blow my mind. When I see a white guy dressing up like a rapper with his pants hanging down below his ass and his hat sideways, it makes me laugh b/c he looks silly.

Gangsta Rap doesn't even exist anymore man.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I do not understand why a white guy would listen to Gansta rap?

They rap about a lot of things. I might not suffer from the white man's opression but I sure enjoy that sticky icky, and I like my bitches too... :cool:

No, seriously, a lot of those lyrics are about problems everyone faces, and you don't need to be black to appreciate a lot of those problems.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I do not understand why a white guy would listen to Gansta rap?
    Listen, Snoop loves us, ok grandpa?
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I dont really listen to rap but i do like Public Enemy. I like the new Aseop Rock album 'None shall Pass'.

Also i REALLY recommend A skillz & Krafty Kutz album 'Tricka Technology' it's a blend of funk and hip hop. Some good tunes on there.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007