anyone listen to rap?

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Binaural wrote:
    Not a fan of rap, as it is now. I love hip hop though, I remember the first time I heard Jurassic 5 I freaked out. Lupe Fiasco is a rare talent today, you should check out Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor and Lupe Fiasco's The Cool, two fantastic albums, I hope he's hitting Europe this summer, I been wanting to catch this guy in concert for about two or three years now.
    Also anyone listen to MF Doom?
    The messed up thing is that proper hip hop is alive and well, it's not getting the coverage at the minute, but like I said, with artists like Fiasco coming into the spotlight maybe we might see a change, god knows the genre needs it.
    Yeah I generally prefer to say I like Hip-hop too. I love MF DOOM (remember All Caps when you spell the man name :p) One of the best, most abstract lyricists around.

From Deep Fried Frenz:

"FRIENDS is a term some people use loosely
    I'm real choosy on what I choose to let crews see
    You telling me, I try ta act broke
    Jealousy, the number one killer among black folk
    Fellas be under some type a spell, like crack smoke
    Ghetto cinderellas, lead 'em right to your stack loc
    Just another way a chick'll lead to your end
    I check the dictionary for the meaning of Friends
    It said: Person, one who likes to socialize with
    Sympathise and help her, and that's about the size of it
    Most of the time these attributes is one-sided
    To bolster the crime, they apt to shoot you through your eyelid"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    writersu wrote:
    Yeah, the words in some of these are really good. I haven't litened to much of Snoop Dog's stuff but I loved "Gangsters Paradise" after that movie came out , Desperate Minds.........it gave me the chills truthfully.

And I also like Fifty Cents' "Many Man", (that is the title, right).

and then, there is my bad mood music, that is so hysterical to think that this entertains me, but what is that one song called when the singer sings, "I don't like y'all , so f--k y'all"?
    are you perhaps misquoting Dr Dre's Forgot About Dre? the lines goes "So fuck y'all, all of y'all, if y'all don't like me, blow me"

anyway, if the stuff you like from hip-hop (Gangsta's paradise, 50 Cent, Dr Dre) then there's a wealth of stuff that'll blow your mind. you've really only heard the mainstream (and in my opinion, largely shit) stuff. Mainstream rap had a lot to offer in the late 80s, early to mid 90s (NWA, Public Enemy, Tupac, Biggie, early Dre, Warren G) but it's appalling now. Digging further is the only solution.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yeah I generally prefer to say I like Hip-hop too. I love MF DOOM (remember All Caps when you spell the man name :p) One of the best, most abstract lyricists around.

From Deep Fried Frenz:

"FRIENDS is a term some people use loosely
    I'm real choosy on what I choose to let crews see
    You telling me, I try ta act broke
    Jealousy, the number one killer among black folk
    Fellas be under some type a spell, like crack smoke
    Ghetto cinderellas, lead 'em right to your stack loc
    Just another way a chick'll lead to your end
    I check the dictionary for the meaning of Friends
    It said: Person, one who likes to socialize with
    Sympathise and help her, and that's about the size of it
    Most of the time these attributes is one-sided
    To bolster the crime, they apt to shoot you through your eyelid"
    I honestly think that Dangerdoom is one the best albums of all time. What do you think of the latest record?
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I don't listen to rap a lot, but there are some artists out there that I really like. If it's Ludacris or OutKast, I'll listen to it. Also, I like some old school stuff from the East vs. West rap war time. That's about it though.
  • Everyone should listen to Blue Scholars, Some of Seattle's finest!
    http://www.myspace.com/bluescholars
    Binaural wrote:
    I honestly think that Dangerdoom is one the best albums of all time. What do you think of the latest record?
    Which do you mean by the latest? the latest one under the DOOM name? MM Food... I like it a lot. Deep Fried Frenz and Beef Rap are two of my favourite songs.
  • Was into rap a couple of years ago. Now I don't hear anything that I like from rap/ hip-hop. And the kids seem to be liking rock again, which I prefer to 6 -7 years ago when they all prefered hip/hop. May be its just a low time for the genre.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    are you perhaps misquoting Dr Dre's Forgot About Dre? the lines goes "So fuck y'all, all of y'all, if y'all don't like me, blow me"

anyway, if the stuff you like from hip-hop (Gangsta's paradise, 50 Cent, Dr Dre) then there's a wealth of stuff that'll blow your mind. you've really only heard the mainstream (and in my opinion, largely shit) stuff. Mainstream rap had a lot to offer in the late 80s, early to mid 90s (NWA, Public Enemy, Tupac, Biggie, early Dre, Warren G) but it's appalling now. Digging further is the only solution.

Yeah, I guess , no I know you are right.........

so turn me on to some other good stuff I have not heard of yet.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    writersu wrote:
    Yeah, I guess , no I know you are right.........

so turn me on to some other good stuff I have not heard of yet.
    I listed a bunch of stuff on the first page but I have a few absolute essential recommendations for you :)

Nas - Illmatic
    Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 chambers)
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
    Dr Dre - The Chronic
    Main Source - Breaking Atoms
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother (contains my favourite hip-hop song ever, They Reminisce Over You)
  • Only when my bitches leave the house.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I listed a bunch of stuff on the first page but I have a few absolute essential recommendations for you :)

Nas - Illmatic
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    Dr Dre - The Chronic
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother (contains my favourite hip-hop song ever, They Reminisce Over You)

I have never heard Main Source but love everything else you listed so I am gonna be sure to check it out this weekend
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    I have never heard Main Source but love everything else you listed so I am gonna be sure to check it out this weekend
    Oh god yeah, please do. Breaking Atoms is a stone cold classic. A 5 mic album in The Source magazine if I recall. One of the few to get 5 mics on release. It has Nas' first contribution to a record on "Live at the barbecue", 3 whole years before Illmatic. It's magic.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    only good hip hop, which is like finding a needle in a pile of shit, but there is some excellent stuff out there, blackalicious, J5, tribe called quest, arrested development, talib kweli, common, to name a few.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    lephty wrote:
    Blackalicious
    gift of gab is a GENIUS.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Nas - Illmatic
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    Dr Dre - The Chronic

I will check these out, and get back to you. Maybe my son will get into them as well. I know he likes Dr Dre and The Game. He also told me about some rapper that I cannot think of his name now (so why mention it, right?????) that is his favorite and only had about 3 cd's out in the 90's (I think) and that's it. ring a bell? or maybe like half of the rap population........so much talent wasted, you know?

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    writersu wrote:
    I will check these out, and get back to you. Maybe my son will get into them as well. I know he likes Dr Dre and The Game. He also told me about some rapper that I cannot think of his name now (so why mention it, right?????) that is his favorite and only had about 3 cd's out in the 90's (I think) and that's it. ring a bell? or maybe like half of the rap population........so much talent wasted, you know?
    Was it maybe the Notorious BIG? or 2pac? 2pac is my favourite rapper of all time but I didnt recommend an album because his studio albums were generally inconsistent. His greatest hits is probably my most listened to album of all time. I've loved his music for about 10 years. I'm only 19.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Was it maybe the Notorious BIG? or 2pac? 2pac is my favourite rapper of all time but I didnt recommend an album because his studio albums were generally inconsistent. His greatest hits is probably my most listened to album of all time. I've loved his music for about 10 years. I'm only 19.

No, my son does like both but the one he mentioned is one called Rakim........heard of him?

Jeremy1012 wrote:

yeah, I think it is the same song.........I find a sick pleasure in saying those words on a bad day (although due to gender I skip the blow me part.........)

• writersu wrote:
    No, my son does like both but the one he mentioned is one called Rakim........heard of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Irsh2mXJ-E
    NERDS!
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    writersu wrote:

rakim is usually ranked 1st or 2nd, (depending on who you talk to) as the greatest MC of all time. its always a debate about him or KRS. rakim is an amazing lyricist. unreal actually. but for what theyve done for hip hop and longevity and message in lyrical content and skills, i (and most others do to) have to give the title to KRS.

Rakims album, Paid in Full is an absolute rap classic, up there with Criminal Minded, It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back, and Raising Hell.

here check him out on wiki, the god RA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakim

and with Eric B in the beginning. the song Eric B is president and Paid In Full are fundamental for old schoolers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_B._%26_Rakim
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Was it maybe the Notorious BIG? or 2pac? 2pac is my favourite rapper of all time but I didnt recommend an album because his studio albums were generally inconsistent. His greatest hits is probably my most listened to album of all time. I've loved his music for about 10
    years. I'm only 19.

ok, found out about the f--k you song, actually it is by Fifty Cent and it's called, "Life's On The Line". That's the one that I like to sing while driving, (with my windows up, mind you.........can't carry a tune to save my life......)

Nobody likes me
    Nobody likes me, but that's okay
    Cuz I don't like y'all anyway
    ...And I don't like y'all anyway
    Fuck all y'all!!
    My watch talk for me, my whip talk for me
    My gat talk for me
    BLAT! Wutup homie
    For bitches who don't know me
    ...They wanna blow me cuz the shit I floss wit sayin a lot for me

rakim is usually ranked 1st or 2nd, (depending on who you talk to) as the greatest MC of all time. its always a debate about him or KRS. rakim is an amazing lyricist. unreal actually. but for what theyve done for hip hop and longevity and message in lyrical content and skills, i (and most others do to) have to give the title to KRS.

Rakims album, Paid in Full is an absolute rap classic, up there with Criminal Minded, It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back, and Raising Hell.

here check him out on wiki, the god RA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakim

and with Eric B in the beginning. the song Eric B is president and Paid In Full are fundamental for old schoolers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_B._%26_Rakim

yeah, my son IS a cool kid!!!!!!!!!I thought it was only because I was his mom...........awesome that you like Rakim too.........I will check in on the links you gave as soon as I finish my homework........(college round 2)

• snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    i listen to immortal technique, nas, biggie, big L, lupe, some tu pac, and cypress hill mostly.

and for the record i'd also like to say weezy fucking sucks.
    snipes824 wrote:
    i listen to immortal technique, nas, biggie, big L, lupe, some tu pac, and cypress hill mostly.

and for the record i'd also like to say weezy fucking sucks.

ok, so me, the clueless one, needs to ask, "who is weezy?" Is he worse than soldier boy???????

writersu wrote:
    ok, so me, the clueless one, needs to ask, "who is weezy?" Is he worse than soldier boy???????
    haha sorry. lil wayne. hes the big thing these days because he comes out with a new mix tape every week it seems like. too bad they all suck horribly.

and he's about on par with soulja boy. but i'll get killed for saying that.
    snipes824 wrote:
    haha sorry. lil wayne. hes the big thing these days because he comes out with a new mix tape every week it seems like. too bad they all suck horribly.

oh, no.......my son is musically bipolar I suppose because he asked for LilWayne, Birdman 5 Stunna, Gucci Mane for Christmas and I got all of them for him.........I have not listened to them; did I do something wrong? I have no problem with a random, f--k you for the pure effect no other word has, as long as I don't hear my kids say it, music is music; they're not responsible for raising my kids so I don't get all weird about it, but that said, some music, that just pointlessly says over and over and over, like a 12 yr old who thinks their cool, f,f,f,f,f,....etc or n,n,n,n,.....etc. is just pointless...............so what is the word on those? Of which calibur are those artists?

• snipes824 wrote:

He might be like like Soulja Boy, but Lil' Wayne drops many sick verses. You just have to listen to it with headphones and not watch him on TV or live. :)
    NERDS!
    He might be like like Soulja Boy, but Lil' Wayne drops many sick verses. You just have to listen to it with headphones and not watch him on TV or live. :)

oh, kids these days.........

next he'll want to see that Elivs Presley guy shake his hips so repulsively......

(just kidding........sounding like the parents did that had Elvis Presley to contend with..........)

writersu wrote:
    oh, no.......my son is musically bipolar I suppose because he asked for LilWayne, Birdman 5 Stunna, Gucci Mane for Christmas and I got all of them for him.........I have not listened to them; did I do something wrong? I have no problem with a random, f--k you for the pure effect no other word has, as long as I don't hear my kids say it, music is music; they're not responsible for raising my kids so I don't get all weird about it, but that said, some music, that just pointlessly says over and over and over, like a 12 yr old who thinks their cool, f,f,f,f,f,....etc or n,n,n,n,.....etc. is just pointless...............so what is the word on those? Of which calibur are those artists?
    your son is one of many dont worry. wayne has something that most people like. for some reason, i just don't like his raps at all really. as for n,n,n and f,f,f...well i don't listen to him enough to say definitively, but i'll guarentee he says them a bunch. not over and over with no purpose, but a couple times a song for sure.
    snipes824 wrote:
    your son is one of many dont worry. wayne has something that most people like. for some reason, i just don't like his raps at all really. as for n,n,n and f,f,f...well i don't listen to him enough to say definitively, but i'll guarentee he says them a bunch. not over and over with no purpose, but a couple times a song for sure.

I guess it's like the same with rock star posers, there are rap posers and I can kind of tell the authentic rap; n,n,n,n,f,f,f,f thing and it just doesn't land the same, you know? Like when Fifty Cent sings it, he just sounds naturally badass and their are others who try to be like him or others and just hit the wall. kind of like Creed vs Eddie, you know???????

oh and I got to see the Rakim threads that were sent with my son last night when he got home from work; very cool.......thanks........you can see it's from awhile ago.....was it like the same time RunDMC were out?