Which band has fallen the most in the last fifteen years?

Comments

• audiodave wrote:
    I understand why people might not be a fan of the newer NIN material (I am a huge fan and i'm not keen on The Slip, and I don't like Ghosts very much), but at least Trent doesn't sit back and try to recreate The Downward Spiral to make money. It would be very easy for him to try and cash in on his earlier successes, but instead he wants to constantly change his sound and direction. That may take him to places that you, and a lot of other fans don't like, but it doesn't make the music "shit". Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it shit.

As someone else has said, With Teeth in a strong album, and I think Year Zero is fantastic. I understand why people wouldn't like it, and why they wouldn't enjoy the "computerised crap", but I think it's a good album. And hey, have you ever listened to Pretty Hate Machine? Is that drum machines and synthesizers I hear?

As I said, i'm not a huge fan of The Slip (just sounds like With Teeth and Year Zero out takes to me), but fair play to the man for giving the album away for free.

Oh god... he's off... :rolleyes:

:p

it's irrelevant that I happen to agree with you... :o;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.

• all computerized, retread crap.

Are you one of those people who started listening at TDS and never bothered to listen to Pretty Hate Machine?

NIN is 100% routed in computer/synth based music.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Nine Inch Nails get better and better in my opinion.....

I much prefer With Teeth and Year Zero to Downward Spiral.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Nine Inch Nails get better and better in my opinion.....

I much prefer With Teeth and Year Zero to Downward Spiral.....

:eek: Honestly? :confused:

*searches post for humour*

nope... I think you're serious!

Damn... :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Are you one of those people who started listening at TDS and never bothered to listen to Pretty Hate Machine?

NIN is 100% routed in computer/synth based music.

TDS is a masterpiece and the first NIN album I listen too but PHM will always be my favourite :)

EDIT: After consideraton and discussion I have changed my mind to TDS and PHM being joint favourites for different reasons. I apologise for getting over excited and not thinking about my response more :o

:eek: Honestly? :confused:

*searches post for humour*

nope... I think you're serious!

Damn... :o

Yep afraid Im deadly serious lol.....

My personal favourite is The Fragile, but I love Year Zero especially, love the lyrical content and the overall theme of the album.....

Im not saying The Downward Spiral is bad at all, it just has never truly touched me like it has so many others, the songs leave me cold.....or is that the point?!?! :(
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Avocado does suck, but Riot Act is good.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,.. but are you smoking crack?
  • Yep afraid Im deadly serious lol.....

My personal favourite is The Fragile, but I love Year Zero especially, love the lyrical content and the overall theme of the album.....

Im not saying The Downward Spiral is bad at all, it just has never truly touched me like it has so many others, the songs leave me cold.....or is that the point?!?! :(

I found it to be a very cold album also but for me, that's the appeal.

I love The Fragile but as i've said, PHM is my favourite. I like With Teeth and listen to it as much as TDS/Fragile/PHM but I feel there's something missing from it...

Year Zero never grabbed me and probably never will.

I have to say all this is just my opinion and it is nice to see someone who favours the later albums for a change :)

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,.. but are you smoking crack?

Haha! :D

I have to say, I agree :o

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Yep afraid Im deadly serious lol.....

Good choice on The Fragile. My favourite NIN album.

TDS has a certain anger and hate to it that I used to relate to, particularly self hate. If you've never felt anything like that then I can understand why this album wouldn't affect you so much. Now I just think it's a kick ass album.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07

I have to say all this is just my opinion and it is nice to see someone who favours the later albums for a change :)

Yeah, I think it can come down to when you are introduced to a band too, The Fragile was my first NIN cd, and has always remained my favourite the same as Yield and Pearl Jam.....
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,.. but are you smoking crack?
    IMO, Riot Act is a far, far, FAR better album than Pearl Jam.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    TDS has a certain anger and hate to it that I used to relate to, particularly self hate. If you've never felt anything like that then I can understand why this album wouldn't affect you so much. Now I just think it's a kick ass album.

You've hit the nail on the head there my love :)
    TDS is a REALLY dark album, musically, lyrically and even in it's production with it being created in the Tate house in Benedict Canyon, LA.
    I don't listen to it very often as it can change my mood severely, however, when I do I relish every second. I honestly believe it's close to perfection for it's genre.
    You've got me thinking now... do I prefer TDS? or PHM...?

hmm...

EDIT: After careful deliberation and discussion... I love them both equally and for different reasons :p

*edits previous posts*

• DMB has fallen hard since they ditched The Lillywhite Session in 2000.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Pearl Jam Live

Ed's drunk way too often

kinda ruins the show
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Pearl Jam Live

Ed's drunk way too often

kinda ruins the show

ohhhh... controversial.

audiodave wrote:
    IMO, Riot Act is a far, far, FAR better album than Pearl Jam.

I know im veering off topic, but I fully agree with you there my man.....

In terms of bands going off the boil however, just heard the new Feeder stuff :(
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I know im veering off topic, but I fully agree with you there my man.....

In terms of bands going off the boil however, just heard the new Feeder stuff :(

Feeder have always been poop.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Feeder have always been poop.

Ah, Just A Day was fun for a bit.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I'd agree....I'm still a big fan, got tix for a show in June but they havent done much since "Vs"....the last one was close to awful.

Yeah, way to hang out on the site all these years, then ... Many would have moved on.
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Red Hot Chili Peppers are BETTER now... I tend to think of it as them "finding" themselves... I love Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium better than anything else that they have ever done.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Feeder have always been poop.

I disagree, their earlier stuff was wicked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1vITR7U3MQ please ignore the accompanying Smallville video, it was the only studio recording I could find.
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Marilyn Manson should be on the list. Never liked them but they had alot of attention 10-15 years ago. Now ?
  • DMB has fallen hard since they ditched The Lillywhite Session in 2000.

You are dead on with that one. It almost seems that the music industry is set up to make all of these bands either sell out or make a terrible album or do something stupid like go after Napster! Can anyone name a band that has not done so? Really?
  • Guns 'n Roses
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I haven't heard the new Feeder, but their old stuff has a special place in my heart :p. Don't think I've ever been to a party where they haven't been played.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    OK, this is a personal list of bands I used to like a lot, and since are just slipping further and further off my radar.

Metallica: for the reasons posited by everyone else. Their only decent output since black album have been the garage cover collection and S&M. Which hardly counts as new material. A sharp drop from puppets/black. I think I'll give their new one a chance, but ain't hoping much.

Foo Fighters: Steadily becoming less and less interesting. I love Dave, and their first 2 albums were great, and the subsequent 2 had their moments. But the last two have really done nothing for me, and I think many of the songs start to sound the same. Just saw them live, and they kick ass, and Dave is really cool, but the great ones were the old ones unfortunately.

Incubus: Really love SCIENCE, Make Yourself was pretty great, and I could (barely) live with Morning View. But since then, they have gone totally mainstream slightly-harder-than-soft rock-band, which is such a disappointment from their beginnings.

RHCP: Kicked ass up through Californication, then it seemed to me they thought they struck gold with that last one, and have tried to remake that since. Maybe they'll rise again at some point. They're not bad, just leaves me indifferent.

Weezer: First two kicked ass, as everyone agrees. But it's been slipping a bit since then, with a slight up-turn at maladroit. They really lost me with that Beverly Hills shit-song though, and the newest sound more in that vein.

As for Pearl Jam, I would not agree. The albums are up and down a bit, but that's between really good, and ok. Avocado was just "ok" to me, and hence a bit of a disappointment. It grew on me a bit though, but I will rank it pretty low among PJ-albums. But live kicks ass still, and I'm still anticipating a new album with interest.

NIN I must also defend. I though YZ was perhaps the best since TDS. NIN IS computer/synthsizer music, and has always been. I've started to appreciate such music more in recent years, when I found out that electronica was more than trance no-brains dance tracks made for teenagers. I think Trent Reznor is around a creative high these days, and I really look forward to his next "proper" release.

That's my two, or maybe 5 cents on the matter.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    OK, this is a personal list of bands I used to like a lot, and since are just slipping further and further off my radar.

Metallica: for the reasons posited by everyone else. Their only decent output since black album have been the garage cover collection and S&M. Which hardly counts as new material. A sharp drop from puppets/black. I think I'll give their new one a chance, but ain't hoping much.

Foo Fighters: Steadily becoming less and less interesting. I love Dave, and their first 2 albums were great, and the subsequent 2 had their moments. But the last two have really done nothing for me, and I think many of the songs start to sound the same. Just saw them live, and they kick ass, and Dave is really cool, but the great ones were the old ones unfortunately.

Incubus: Really love SCIENCE, Make Yourself was pretty great, and I could (barely) live with Morning View. But since then, they have gone totally mainstream slightly-harder-than-soft rock-band, which is such a disappointment from their beginnings.

RHCP: Kicked ass up through Californication, then it seemed to me they thought they struck gold with that last one, and have tried to remake that since. Maybe they'll rise again at some point. They're not bad, just leaves me indifferent.

Weezer: First two kicked ass, as everyone agrees. But it's been slipping a bit since then, with a slight up-turn at maladroit. They really lost me with that Beverly Hills shit-song though, and the newest sound more in that vein.

As for Pearl Jam, I would not agree. The albums are up and down a bit, but that's between really good, and ok. Avocado was just "ok" to me, and hence a bit of a disappointment. It grew on me a bit though, but I will rank it pretty low among PJ-albums. But live kicks ass still, and I'm still anticipating a new album with interest.

NIN I must also defend. I though YZ was perhaps the best since TDS. NIN IS computer/synthsizer music, and has always been. I've started to appreciate such music more in recent years, when I found out that electronica was more than trance no-brains dance tracks made for teenagers. I think Trent Reznor is around a creative high these days, and I really look forward to his next "proper" release.

That's my two, or maybe 5 cents on the matter.

Peace
    Dan
    There is so much more to electronica than mainstream thump thump 80's remixes haha and there is a lot of new electro/dance/rock acts coming out at the moment who are impressive, check out some of the bands who are touring with NIN also stuff like Soulwax, Simian Mobile Disco, Chemical Brothers, Primal Scream, Roni Size and loads more just a few elctronic artists spanning different styles.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Omega47Omega47 Posts: 43
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    3)Metallica--These days...they're as metal as a Fisher Price Hammer.
    That's a hilariously accurate description.
    www.myspace.com/fusionsong
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    evenflow82 wrote:
    I couldn't help but think of how awesome Weezer's first two albums were and how everything else has been a shit pile since.

I get the feeling that Rivers is just laughing at people who buy is albums now (like me).