Which band has fallen the most in the last fifteen years?

evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I was thinking about bands who have had a couple of great albums and then

a. sold out
b. simply phoned it in
c. quality of music has simply decreased
d. play it safe

I couldn't help but think of how awesome Weezer's first two albums were and how everything else has been a shit pile since. Metallica is a close second.

So, what bands have really lost the spark and are mediocre or horrible now?
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
-Christopher Walken

you're=you are
your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    unfortunately, people not on this site would say PJ.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • RHCP. hands down.

The music keeps getting more and more mellow, and the shows are scheduled 200 at a time and being totally phoned in.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • See the Chili Peppers thread.:D

EDIT: Curse you, Joe2.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Romanza wrote:
    unfortunately, people not on this site would say PJ.

I'd agree....I'm still a big fan, got tix for a show in June but they havent done much since "Vs"....the last one was close to awful.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    I'd agree....I'm still a big fan, got tix for a show in June but they havent done much since "Vs"....the last one was close to awful.

what!?!?!?!?!?!?

close to awful? I cant een respond to that lol.

anyway i'd also say the chili peppers. lets face it- they suck now.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • RHCP should never ever ever again release a double album

also anything Chris Cornell the past 7 years has sucked royal balls
    the Minions
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Metallica.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • how about DMB
    the Minions
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    1.RHCP
    2.Metallica
    3.Pearl Jam
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184

I somewhat agree, it wasn't awful but I didn't like it. It was a disappointment to me and PJ dropped from radar some years prior to that.

Metallica needs a major comeback or they will fall into oblivion.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Weezer
    Tool (only because of 10,000 Days)

yeah, that's all I've got actually.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Nevermind wrote:
    1.RHCP
    2.Metallica
    3. Oasis
    4. Pearl Jam

fixed!i! ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    That's Bullshit!i!

No Code and Yield were better than Vs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I agree, Avocado was awful ;)
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Thank god this thread isn't over on the porch. There would be riots if they saw people saying they don't like pearl jam's recent output :)
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    live
    metallica
    rhcp
    pearl jam
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Avocado may be their best albums jackholes.

RHCP for sure; yet they were never that great; very overrated
    Tool's 10,000 Days was disappointing
    DMB for sure
    Agree that Cornell has done nothing decent since Soundgarden
    Also agree with live; haven't liked anything since The Distance to Here

Seriously, how can anyone say PJ; just because they aren't a huge commercial success, they may be the most relevant live act around. They have more credibility than anyone out there.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Well, Avocado was so-so... honestly though, Inside Job is amazing. Then with Riot Act, it was a little blah at times... seemed like too much filler, but for me, Binaural is where it's at, so I can't really say PJ, but they are just in a little decline.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    suns rival wrote:
    live
    metallica
    rhcp
    pearl jam
    didnt realize "Live" is still around.
  • Avocado does suck, but Riot Act is good, Binaural is amazing...

RHCP are the most improved over the last 15 years, they've matured very well. They just fit into a sub-genre of rock music that not many here appreciate. When I was younger, I might not be able to fully appreciate it either. Now I play recent RHCP as much as PJ.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • AFI & Green Day
    NERDS!

• RHCP are the most improved over the last 15 years, they've matured very well.

improved? matured?

Not that they were ever very mature to begin with, but they went from addressing their personal drug addictions to singing "snow, hey oh"

come on now.
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Agreed on the RHCP front.

I am not a huge fan, but I find gwen steffani hugely annoying these days. the no doubt stuff used to be decent on a summer day with the windows down.
  • PearlsGirlPearlsGirl Posts: 257
    1. RHCP
    2. Foo Fighters, I miss Dave's raw vocals, now he's appealing to those teenie boppers with his crap
    3. Metallica
    4. Pearl Jam, I still love them more than life itself though. #2! Soundgarden #1.
    5. Chris Cornell, seriously, when did he become a fucking pansy? He's still my favorite vocalist. Audioslave sucked ass, his solo albums don't really give him justice, and what is this shit about Timbaland? AHHHHHH!!!!
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • improved? matured?

Not that they were ever very mature to begin with, but they went from addressing their personal drug addictions to singing "snow, hey oh"

come on now.

Isn't that song about Heroin still? I don't think it's about snowboarding in Utah :rolleyes: ;)
    NERDS!
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Going with the general feel of everyone here im going to have to say Metallica and RHCP. Both bands create songs now, that all sound excactly the same...no variety.
    Which brings me to my next point, variety=longetivity.
    This should mean that PJ are not to be even vaguely mentioned in this thread! Every album they have put out is different to their last, which is what they should be doing, because you can bet your arse if they kept putting out stuff like Ten, we would all be whingeing like bitches saying "Oh, the songs all the fucking same".

It amazes me why people even become members on this forum if they havent liked anything from Vs etc.
    Also another band who has dropped is Silverchair...
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • The band Live fell off the map after release their last album in the US in 2006..

Save the Planet
  • what do people have against avacado? I personally thought top to bottom it was a very good record
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    walrus wrote:
    rem

I was waiting for this. I have also been waiting to respond to listen to Accelerate. Only ten years ago was Up, which is an undesputed classic. Seventeen years ago was New Adventures, maybe their best album. Yeah Reveal and Around the Sun suck; but thats only two out of, what 14 15 albums. So maybe the compressed mix on Accelerate sucks, and maybe Stipe cant sing that great because hes older than my parents, but the guys are still writing great music after twenty eight years and rocking pretty fucking hard for what some on this board call a "light rock band." If you have seen them live you know they rock on the fast songs, actually really loud.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Not 15 yrs, but more like 10:

Smashing Pumpkins

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    Not 15 yrs, but more like 10:

Smashing Pumpkins

They've been gone for almost 8

And Machina was fucking solid.

So really, they only started sucking with Zeitgeist, but than can be blamed on Billy basically making Zwan-like songs for it.