Dokken is a better band than Pearl Jam.

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Just when I thought your previous thread comparing and contrasting the abilities of JET to Pearl Jam was going to be your greatest accomplishment, you go and top yourself.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • hahaha dokken . . . . i just had a good laugh
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    crack kills
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • doogdoog Posts: 59
    Say what you will about Dokken, but if you grew up in the 80's you had to love this!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEcjUE6XDeY
  • fanch75 wrote:
    It's true.

They just are. When Dokken put out a shitty album like riot act, I'll confess otherwise. Jeff & Stone wish they could have great harmonious (like that word, advanced-level white people?) background vox like Dokken have.

NOT TO MENTION DOKKEN PUT OUT ONE OF THEIR BEST ALBUMS EVER, LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN, NEARLY 30 YEARS INTO THEIR CAREER...

But Seriously............tonight, Dokken were AWESOME. Don got a 5-8 year old little girl up on stage with him, sang "Alone Again" to her. I bet her parents were proud as could be. The musicianship was incredible.

And FUCK Wilco.

lol, i saw dokken open for loverboy in 1986. talk about a strange bill.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    fanch75 wrote:
    Yeah, because in 2008, everyone is on the Dokken bandwagon.

Yeah, Freddy Krueger forever!!!

but seriously I have recently gotten into Queensryche/ Operation Mindcrime again so what do I know.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    doog wrote:
    Say what you will about Dokken, but if you grew up in the 80's you had to love this!:)

Uh-oh. I just checked out that link and ended up going through not only Dokken, but L.A. Guns, W.A.S.P. and Ratt too!

YouTube can be hazardous to one's state of mind. ;)
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    DOKKEN SUCKS, but Britney Fox is awesome....;)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Riot Act is not for everyone.

P.S.: Sky Blue Sky is pretty fucking sweeeet.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Last year, the same weekend Pearl Jam played Lollapalooza, Dokken was also playing a large music festival...Bratwurst Days in Sheboygan, WI. Looks like the Dokken fans trumped our asses on that one!

P.s. I'm not kidding, there actually is Bratwurst Days and Dokken really was there! Luckily, I was in Chicago that weekend!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    doog wrote:

KINGDOM COME *Get It On* sounds better than that stuff at least they have that Led Zep sound.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Okay, here's the oh-so-serious review that I wrote up for all my buddies who couldn't go with me. Since a few of you like Dokken (and those you who do not - you should), I C&P here.

Screw Wilco, though.

---

We got eight row! We walked right up to the box office at 6:50 (Bach went on at 7pm) and got them! Once again this strategy worked; online all I could pull up was Row Z in the back section.

Ticketmaster holds some tickets back and raises the price the day of show. Ticketmaster is almost just like Stubhub and all those other scalper sites. For $57 it was worth it to be that close.

Sebastian Bach was awesome. Don't miss him! He puts his all into it and just screams like it's 1989. He can still hit the notes and his voice is still in top form. If you saw him with GNR in 2006, you know exactly what I mean by this. He's fun and I don't know what you think about Skid Row, but just trust me and check him out. His enthusiasm is kidlike and it's just refreshing.

Dokken RULED! Don did not attempt high notes hardly at all and just sang "within himself." He looked a bit pudgy (he looked great in 2004 when we saw Dokken) and is looking older. He looked very happy & content though. The only member from the 2004 lineup is lead guitarist (and George Lynch clone) Jon Levin. The songs were played at a bit slower pace, probably because Don fired the drummer a few weeks ago and this guy is pretty new. Only one song from the new album, which to me was disappointing. The band was clearly more interested in playing the new song than the others.

You know what you are getting with Poison. Which is good and bad; good because they are fun, but bad because it's no different than any other year. Last year's tour was the most mixed-up they had done in some time, but this year was very vanilla. Not worth seeing twice in a summer anymore, but worth seeing once each summer. Bret's guitar still "needs checked to see if it's in tune" before Every Rose. The same shit, fun, but the same shit. The guys are all from the Pittsburgh area, and they were very happy to be in front of their hometown crowd.

Last night's show will be on the first episode of Bret's "Rock Of Love Season 3."

The venue, the Starlake Amphitheater, is pretty nice, looks pretty new. It's kind of like Indy's Deer Creek in that it's in a rural area, by itself, a two lane road getting in & out of there. It'd be horrible if we were going towards Pittsburgh, but since we headed south, traffic was a breeze getting out. It's kind of like Cincinnati's Riverbend in that there are lots of places to go hang out & talk if you wanted to step out of the amphitheater itself.

The setlists were more "even" than ever, timewise. I remember when the opening act got like 4-5 songs. I may be off on the order here & there, but the setlists were:

Bach:
    Back in the Saddle Again (cover)
    Big Guns
    Here I Am
    American Metalhead
    18 & Life
    Some other new song that I can't remember
    Monkey Business
    I Remember You
    Youth Gone Wild

Dokken (who ruled):
    Tooth & Nail
    Into The Fire
    Just Got LuckyThe Hunter
    Inside Looking Out (the only new song played)
    Kiss of Death
    Alone Again (pulled a 5-6 year old girl up on stage, sang it while she sat beside him. Don said "I'd be asking you out if I was 60-70 years younger." - hahaha)
    It's Not Love
    Dream Warriors (!!!!! - I've never heard this live)
    Breaking The Chains
    In My Dreams

Poison:
    Cat Dragged In
    I Want Action
    Ride The Wind
    CC guitar solo ("Amazing Grace" is the centerpiece of it)
    Fallen Angel
    Something To Believe In
    Every Rose
    That's What I Like About You (cover)
    Rikki drum solo
    I Won't Forget You
    Unskinny Bop
    Talk Dirty To Me
    Encore:
    Nothing But A Good Time

No "Love on the Rocks" or "Cry Tough," although Cry Tough has been played a few times this year. I guess I'll never get to hear that song. And thank GOD, they left out CC's atrocious "I Hate Every Bone In Your Body But Mine."
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    JUST SAY NO to Dokken
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    LukinFan wrote:
    JUST SAY NO to Dokken

What was their one hit back 20+ years ago? something to do with a girl in tight pants and big hair and it had explosions and confetti? wait was that Dokken,Poison, Warrant, Ratt, Motley Crue, Lifehouse, Madhouse, Arthouse, Firehouse, Outhouse....jeez I cant remember
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Never heard of them. Really.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    You seem to really like that 80's hair metal rock wich is cool to each their own.

It is too bad you can't get into wilco i think they are phenominal band with good melodies and good lyrics.

I noticed you mentioned the singer from dokken bringing the girl on stage to sing to her. It reminded me when i saw Wilco he saw a girl around 5 years old in the crowd and asked what her favorite song was. Then he climbed out into the crowd about 8 rows deep and held her in his arms standing on the chair and sang the song to her and danced with her. Nice little touch when people can do that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    You seem to really like that 80's hair metal rock wich is cool to each their own.

It is too bad you can't get into wilco i think they are phenominal band with good melodies and good lyrics.

I noticed you mentioned the singer from dokken bringing the girl on stage to sing to her. It reminded me when i saw Wilco he saw a girl around 5 years old in the crowd and asked what her favorite song was. Then he climbed out into the crowd about 8 rows deep and held her in his arms standing on the chair and sang the song to her and danced with her. Nice little touch when people can do that.

I was just being obnoxious. I don't really have that strong of an opinion on Wilco. I read a thoughtful, well-written post like yours and then I feel bad for being so obnoxious. :)
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    Lynch Mob was better than Dokken, and even they sucked.
    The Jamily are upset!
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    frogwater wrote:

Out of all the remarks, I hold this one in high regard.

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    frogwater wrote:
    Da Lynch Mob rocked though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    JUST SAY NO to Dokken

But why? Dokken rules.
  • This is the funniest thread I have EVER Read!!!!!!!!!!!
    From Wikipedia. Take THIS, Pearl Jam!

Dwight Schrute, a popular character on the American TV series The Office, was a Dokken fan as shown in Dwight's web log entry from September 27, 2007. In this entry Dwight opened a time capsule from himself that was sealed in 1985, and it included a letter to his future self that read: "Dokken Rules. Dwight."[4]
  • fanch75 wrote:
    From Wikipedia. Take THIS, Pearl Jam!

Dwight Schrute, a popular character on the American TV series The Office, was a Dokken fan as shown in Dwight's web log entry from September 27, 2007. In this entry Dwight opened a time capsule from himself that was sealed in 1985, and it included a letter to his future self that read: "Dokken Rules. Dwight."[4]

Well there you go!!! ;)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    fanch75 wrote:
    It's true.

They just are. When Dokken put out a shitty album like riot act, I'll confess otherwise. Jeff & Stone wish they could have great harmonious (like that word, advanced-level white people?) background vox like Dokken have.

NOT TO MENTION DOKKEN PUT OUT ONE OF THEIR BEST ALBUMS EVER, LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN, NEARLY 30 YEARS INTO THEIR CAREER...

But Seriously............tonight, Dokken were AWESOME. Don got a 5-8 year old little girl up on stage with him, sang "Alone Again" to her. I bet her parents were proud as could be. The musicianship was incredible.

And FUCK Wilco.
    So why aren't you posting all this on the Dokken board? :confused:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812

You like Dokken too then..? :rolleyes: ;):p
    Personally I thought they were rubbish, compared to the mighty Skid Row anyway :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841

Because there probably isn't a Dokken board. Their fans are so hard core, they are too busy chugging JD and snorting blow off of the sleeves of their jean jackets to have discovered the internet yet.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Fanch, bro, caught Dokken acoustic opening for Queensryche in the late winter early spring. It was an asskicking!
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Fanch, bro, caught Dokken acoustic opening for Queensryche in the late winter early spring. It was an asskicking!

OK, Queensryche....now we're talking :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....