The New PIXIES Thread

Comments

• MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    has anyone watched the pixies sell out dvd? i bought it but its on the to do list after those ghost in the shell dvds. but im itching to watch it.

oh yeah!! I was JUST about to BUMP this thread asking that same question.

I got it for my b-day (thanks to VEDHEAD27 for giving it to me early ;))

oh I SO loved it!! :D I am not going to spoil it for everyone, but you will be satisfied w/how they did the opener ;) Of course, the only disappointment is that they didn't interview the band:( they interviewed their tour manager and their long time camera man. They do offer some insight on how big it was for the band to be back and how well they all got along with each other. I wish there were more backstage footage though

Another thing, the Pixies "fool the world" already came out in the UK, but we won't see it here in the states until March 2006:( oh well. But from what I have heard, EVERYONE is praising this book. They interviewed everyone who was a part of the Pixies' history. The format of the writing is the way it was on the Spin article last year.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • think the book release might have something to do with the rumored new album? both released the same day in the states. frank still hasnt done a tour for honeycomb so maybe this whole time recording was done. and all that talk about the breeders album went hush pretty quick.
    who knows?! I know for sure that the Breeders are doing 2 shows in England to celebrate 4ADs 25th Anniversary.

One wonders though...they haven't said much of recording a new album, even Frank said that Kim is hesitant of recording a new album b/c she fears it might ruin the legacy the band has. We'll see
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I've now got all the Pixies albums now except for bsides!!! and one of my friends got me a dvd w/the Wave of Mutilation cover pixture on it for my birthday.. They are so bloody awesome!!! I think there my equal famous band along w/PJ and Faith No More.... I can't wait till I find pixies sell-out in aus:D:D
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • awesome. they sure do rock. it was much the same for me. a band i never heard and in like a less than a month i owned everything they released and was all i listened to. went right to second favorite.

shameless plug warning!
    you should check out the hub i have in my signature if you want some live pixies.
  • Frank Black told Boston Globe reporter Mark Shanahan this morning that he does intend to have a new album and plans to get to work on writing, but neither confirmed nor denied that the process had already been started.

"Yeah [we're recording a new album], but I need to write some good songs. These Pixies have gotten a little uppity. They're like, ''What if it's not as good as the old records?"

frankblack.net
    Frank Black told Boston Globe reporter Mark Shanahan this morning that he does intend to have a new album and plans to get to work on writing, but neither confirmed nor denied that the process had already been started.

"Yeah [we're recording a new album], but I need to write some good songs. These Pixies have gotten a little uppity. They're like, ''What if it's not as good as the old records?"

frankblack.net

that is awesome news!! :D at least they all are taking a hiatus and doing their solo stuff. I know for sure, Kim is working w/the Breeders on the new album and FB is going to tour soon behind his next solo album.

It feels SO good that this band got back together. :)

Just last night, I watched their T&C 88 show from the DVD, and watched the Sell Out DVD, it shows that they are still a top of their game. Just looking at the band, they looked so happy together :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    thought id bump this.

has anyone read the pixes book fool the world or the doolittle book? im not much of a reader of books about bands but fool the world seems like it might be good.
    thought id bump this.

has anyone read the pixes book fool the world or the doolittle book? im not much of a reader of books about bands but fool the world seems like it might be good.

I have been TOO broke to buy that book but I SO want to read it! Has anyone read it?

btw, the PIXIES ROCK! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    Listening to Surfer Rosa right now! I love the Pixies.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Love, Love, Love the Pixies!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
    Well, it seems that the Pixies, after this year, are going to stop touring while everyone in the band is doing their own things. Kim is working on the Breeders, Joey is scoring tv shows, Frank is being a dad, welcoming in his 2nd child and finishing a new album, and David is still going to do magic. I read something on billboard, that even Joey said that they have no plans to record an album. He said that it has to be organic for all of them to come together and do an album, but this time, no plans:( oh well. I am just grateful I saw them 3 times when they reunited. :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    im really looking forward to the new frank black album. im glad the pixies arent recording an album though. it would just seem weird. part of me still wishes that they wouldnt have reunited for the tour either. though the show i saw was pretty rockin.
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    The Pixies were great back in the 80's. In high school, my life revolved around the Pixies.
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • a new pixies record would probably just suck in the long run. coming back for a tour was cool but no need for new material. i'd rather hear a new solo frank record or the new breeders album.
  • zantszants Posts: 1,556
    Not a fan.....but I love Hey! That´s one of my fav songs.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i have been listening to alot of the pixies, and the breeders, lately. they are awesome.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Found this on billboard.com a few days ago. It would have been cool to have a new pixies album, but if it can't happen organically, then it would be wrong. But I'm glad that at least he tried and we got 2 new songs out of the Pixies. So GRATEFUL to have seen them live 3 times on their reunion tour:) NOW bring ON the Breeders and FB solo tour :D

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002690443
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Found this on billboard.com a few days ago. It would have been cool to have a new pixies album, but if it can't happen organically, then it would be wrong. But I'm glad that at least he tried and we got 2 new songs out of the Pixies. So GRATEFUL to have seen them live 3 times on their reunion tour:) NOW bring ON the Breeders and FB solo tour :D

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002690443
    Dam now its even less likely they'll ever come to Aus:(...
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
    even without the album i dont think they are done touring. i think they saw how much money they can make off the pixies. but who knows it might be like the vu reunion tour.
    even without the album i dont think they are done touring. i think they saw how much money they can make off the pixies. but who knows it might be like the vu reunion tour.

that is true my friend. I did read, I think it was NME or Uncut that FB said that the Pixies WILL still continue touring, but they won't record a new album. :D you see, EVERYONE is now happy! HELL, i'm content that they are STILL touring!! YEA!!! :cool:

oh i found this on Paste magazine website:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article?article_id=3080

I had NO idea they FINALLY played All Over the World :eek: that is my favorite freakin' song!! :eek:
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    that is true my friend. I did read, I think it was NME or Uncut that FB said that the Pixies WILL still continue touring, but they won't record a new album. :D you see, EVERYONE is now happy! HELL, i'm content that they are STILL touring!! YEA!!! :cool:

oh i found this on Paste magazine website:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article?article_id=3080

I had NO idea they FINALLY played All Over the World :eek: that is my favorite freakin' song!! :eek:

their longest song. it was once my favorite but im kinda not sure if bossanova is even my favorite of theirs anymore. i really like letter to memphis, looking back its kinda has a catholics thing going.
    "I was in Geneva last night and Kim and I had a very long talk, there on the lake. So, I think we have reached an understanding. ... if it doesn't sound good, we don't put the machine into record." Frank Black
    even more from frankblack.net

"This is pretty much a reiteration of the previous news item, but now in Spanish and with a more media-friendly headline. Oh, and quite a bit more definite.

Contrary to the consensus among music news sites, the Pixies will play around with some new songs. If they don't like it, they don't record. The notes fade like meteors in the atmosphere. If they do like it, well, expect a new Pixies album to make planetfall or at least a few fragments in the shape of new songs.

In addition to the video we posted last week, there's a new press conference with Frank, Joey, and Dave in Spain at the Benicassim Festival that you'll want to check out here. Though not confirmed, these are probably not the songs written to sound like old Pixies songs that Black had called 'fakey', and so it's quite possible a new Pixies album will take them in an entirely new direction. Regardless, it is still the same four Pixies playing, and they will doubtless all lend their own style to the songs in addition to their experience since the band broke up."
  • dont know if anyone still cares about the pixies but this is kinda old news that i havent seen here yet.

"So, the Pixies haven't played in your neighbourhood in a while? Or you weren't able to see them play an acoustic show in Newport? Or maybe you just want to know more, more, more!

Well, settle down. There are a bunch of DVDs flying at you very soon. And they are, in no particular order:

Pixies - Club Date: Live at The Paradise in Boston. Thanks to dslator for the heads up, this is due to be released in the UK on Sept. 4.

Pixies Acoustic: Live in Newport Due to be released Aug 22 (but you can preorder now), this is - so far as we know - the only 'unplugged' Pixies performance to date and thankfully they've captured it on DVD.

loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies - A documentary on the Pixies' reunion with lots of backstage access and, from what we've heard, pretty well done. Comes out Nov. 7 and, well, that seems far too far away. Again, you can preorder it in advance if you can't wait for it at your cool local record shop.

So, three DVDs in the pipe for fall. And for completists out there, we should probably re-mention DVDs already available. There's The Pixies - Sell Out DVD, which follows them around their reunion in 2004 but is a compilation of songs from their tour rather than a documentary. There's the meaty Pixies DVD which has about 2.5 hours of Pixies-related goodness, focusing more on the old days and the band's history, combining live performances and documentary-style interviews with other artists like Radiohead, David Bowie, PJ Harvey, U2, etc. And finally, there's the Pixies Live at the Town and Country Club 1988 DVD which look a lot like the Pixies DVD to me, but hey, this is for the completists out there.

So, lots of Pixies live stuff to enjoy even as FB is about to kick off his fall tour. Lots of live goodness all around.

-Dean"

frankblack.net
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I saw them on their first scheduled reunion show. Sloppiest concert ever, but still ranks amongst the top because it was the motherfucking Pixies. Frank Black could have farted into a microphone, and I would have been happy.

I just got tickets to see him solo in November.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    their longest song. it was once my favorite but im kinda not sure if bossanova is even my favorite of theirs anymore. i really like letter to memphis, looking back its kinda has a catholics thing going.

Palace of the Brine into Letter to Memphis is one of my favourite transitions ever. A lot of Pixies fans like to ignore Trompe Le Monde, but I fucking love it.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    BUMP this :D

i'm almost done reading the Fool the World book. Very insightful look on the Pixies evolution :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    havent seen this thread in a long time. doesnt look like there will be another pixies album after all either.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    bummer.............
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix