The New PIXIES Thread

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited May 2006 in Other Music
since the old pixies thread always had great pixies news i thought i start another one for this

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041221/music_nm/music_pixies_dc_3
NEW YORK (Billboard) - The Pixies wrapped their reunion tour Saturday with two shows at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom, capping a trek that lasted nearly eight months and saw them play to sold-out audiences across the world.

While it's unclear if the influential alt-rock band plans to attempt a follow-up to its last studio album, 1991's "Trompe le Monde," which came out a year before it went on hiatus, there is new product on the way. A film crew followed the tour throughout the year for a documentary DVD. A separate DVD is also in the works culling on-stage footage.

"I have collected film from about six or seven full concerts which we plan to edit for a compilation concert DVD," Pixies manager Ken Goes told Billboard.com. "There is a possibility that these two DVDs will be combined into one double-disc set, but that is not yet confirmed."

No release date has been finalized.

Goes said there are no plans for a corresponding live album since authorized soundboard recordings of many of the 2004 shows were sold via outlets such as DiscLive.

Group members will also be devoting time to other projects. Frontman Frank Black (news) plans to release two separate albums of material recorded this year in Nashville with session musicians such as Stax guitarist Steve Cropper and the Band's Levon Helm. Negotiations for the release of the first set, "Honeycomb," are in progress with spinART, which has issued Black's past several projects.

In addition, bassist Kim Deal (news) plans to record a new album with the Breeders, which will be the group's first release since 2002's "Title TK."

Reuters/Billboard

oh and the PIXIES Rock
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296

In addition, bassist Kim Deal (news) plans to record a new album with the Breeders, which will be the group's first release since 2002's "Title TK."
    oh and the PIXIES Rock
    Best news I've heard today.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    I saw them on the 28th and there was a camera guy directly in front of me for about 5 songs. I hope the show I went too is part of the DVD, very cool.
  • i adore the pixies.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Pixies Rule!!!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • rumor has it, tom waits might produce the new pixies album if it does happen because frank black has expressed interest in it. that would just be amazing.

i was so sad i couldn't see the pixies this year. tickets sold out in 3-5 minutes for each show i wanted to attend. oh well, maybe next year.
  • you should have went to where ever the pixies were playing. i bought two tickets for camden the day they went on sale. they sold out (or so they said) real fast. when i got to camden there was nothing to do so i went to the ticket window just to see what was left. i got 2 new tickets 8 rows from the stage. my other tickets where against the back wall. i bet you could have got tickets if you would have shown up when the ticket window opened. well if they tour again hope you get a ticket cause they are worth seeing once.
  • rumor has it, tom waits might produce the new pixies album if it does happen because frank black has expressed interest in it. that would just be amazing.

i was so sad i couldn't see the pixies this year. tickets sold out in 3-5 minutes for each show i wanted to attend. oh well, maybe next year.

Hopefully he won't, Tom Waits strives for originality in his own music, not producing for crap has-beens.

That god awful shod "Bam Thwock", the mediocre Warren Zevon cover and Frank Black's UNFORGIVABLY bad cover of the Waits classic "Black Rider".

Why would he? I'd lose all respect for my favourite artist of all time if he even went near the Pixies with a ten foot bargepole.
    The higher that the monkey can climb
    The more he shows his tail
    Call no man happy 'till he dies
    There's no milk at the bottom of the pail
    God builds a church
    The devil builds a chapel
    Like the thistles that are growing
    'round the trunk of a tree
  • tom waits who?, the pixies rule.
    frank black covered black rider twice so thats original. who else would do the same song twice on one album let alone a cover. as i see it tom would be lucky to produce the pixies album. no matter if its good or not it will be one of those albums everyone has got to hear.
  • Yardbird wrote:
    Tom Waits strives for originality in his own music, not producing for crap has-beens.
    As we all know, the Pixies are unoriginal and have done nothing to change the face of music :rolleyes:
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Yardbird wrote:
    Hopefully he won't, Tom Waits strives for originality in his own music, not producing for crap has-beens.

That god awful shod "Bam Thwock", the mediocre Warren Zevon cover and Frank Black's UNFORGIVABLY bad cover of the Waits classic "Black Rider".

Why would he? I'd lose all respect for my favourite artist of all time if he even went near the Pixies with a ten foot bargepole.

the pixies are arguably the most influential band in rock music outside of the beatles and velvet underground. nirvana, considered legendary by many, have openly admitted that their music, particularly "smells like teen spirit", completely rips off the pixies.

tom waits, on the other hand, though incredible and avant-garde, has been influenced by older jazz musicians like charlie mingus more than he has actually influenced other artists. i think both the pixies and tom waits deserve equal respect. tom waits has a more consistent and better catalog than the pixies, but the pixies in their prime were unbelievable. i just don't think it's fair to call the pixies washed-up when they're selling out shows in 5 minutes and apparently playing unbelievable live sets. save the washed-up remarks for truly washed-up musicians like velvet revolver or audioslave.

and regarding "bam thwock," it served its purpose. it was a simple, catchy song, and undeniably cute. tom waits' influence on a new pixies record sounds like a challenge, and if you're such a huge waits fan, you should be anticipating how incredible this collaboration could be.
  • pixies are in the jan spin issue. its a one page interview with charles, its maybe five questions.
  • pixies are in the jan spin issue. its a one page interview with charles, its maybe five questions.
    very cool, thanks for the heads up.

the HUGE article that Spin did a few months ago was great!...and I believe it was the biggest article the magazine has done.

• i never got around to getting that one. my friend has it. i need to read it sometime. maybe ill just get an issue from ebay or something
  • cause i dont want to see my pixies thread die.im posting this here. here is the link for the acl pbs show at ezt.

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=25428
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I'm really tired because I stayed up until 1:30 last night watching Austin City Limits on PBS. Why, you ask? Because the Pixies were on it and it was amazing and even for a concert on television, it was worth being tired today. That's how good they are.

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/program465.html
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    saw the acl show. pixies are great! i also like the breeders.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • They were in Orlando, to play at the Hard Rock, on the Sunday I had to leave. Was down there for the VFC concert and on my honeymoon. I wish I could have seen them.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Hey nice PearlJamaholic for starting this new Pixies thread:) Thanks for keeping the Pixies LOVE alive!!:D

Does anyone have the Pixies Berkeley shows?
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Great idea!! Pixies rock!!

By the way, I'd like to see if someone can help me with this: I just got a VCD of a '92 Pixies live show in Brixton, the concert is absolutely awesome, but it seems it was originally recorded from TV to a VHS with not so good quality, the image is kinda distorted and the sound low and not quite clear. So, I'd like to know if any of you has a copy of this show with better quality, and we can settle a trade, I can offer some 04 pixies boot, dvd of pixies live at les eurockeenes, dvd pixies live at austin city limits, pj stuff or something else we can settle.

If anyone has a better copy of that Brixton 92 show, please PM me.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    The Pixies have been announced for the Music Midtown festival in Atlanta June 10-12.
  • Pixies - my favourite band after Pearl Jam. Can't say the same about Breeders, though, I don't know why I never got into them.

Anyway, it's awesome to see some Pixies love on the Pearl Jam board, Pixies rock, indeed!
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • it was so cool to hear ed cover the pixies in boston (mansfield), 2003.

anyway, i got to see the pixies last year at bumbershoot (HUUUUUGE turnout; 40,000 +?), and i got my tickets to see them in may at the gorge! i am so pumped!

viva la pixies!!!!
    '00: 8/23,24,25; 9/1,2; MSG Ed 10/30.
    '03: 4/30; 6/28; 7/2,3,5,6,8,9,14;
    '04: 5/14: Ed, CCFA, Shwbx.
    '05: 3/18; 5/25 Ed w/ rck schl kds; 9/1,2;
    '06: 7/16,18,22,23.
    '08: 4/7
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Hey nice PearlJamaholic for starting this new Pixies thread:) Thanks for keeping the Pixies LOVE alive!!:D

Does anyone have the Pixies Berkeley shows?

whats the date on those?

edit: i have the 2004-09-24 one, i can check the pixies hub for another one if its out there someone there has it.
  • WooHoo! Pixilation. cant wait for the new tour and album! they better hit australia this time.. Reading is my last festival tour!
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
    I want the shows from 9.24.04 and 9.25.04...BOTH, amazing nights!! I already have a copy of the Coachella one. WOW! I can't believe it has been almost a year since my first Pixies' show :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I want the shows from 9.24.04 and 9.25.04...BOTH, amazing nights!! I already have a copy of the Coachella one. WOW! I can't believe it has been almost a year since my first Pixies' show

doesnt look like anyone decided to share the 25th yet. is it sold out? i know if disclive is selling them people dont seed them. the 2004-12-18 late show sold out and is now being seeded over at ezt.

havent seen you around, hence the reason i started this thread awhile ago. still waiting for the breeders thread. havent heard much about them in awhile. i did read the interview kim gave for some bass magazine at the breeders board
    doesnt look like anyone decided to share the 25th yet. is it sold out? i know if disclive is selling them people dont seed them. the 2004-12-18 late show sold out and is now being seeded over at ezt.

havent seen you around, hence the reason i started this thread awhile ago. still waiting for the breeders thread. havent heard much about them in awhile. i did read the interview kim gave for some bass magazine at the breeders board

yeah, disclive didn't sell the shows from the Berkeley shows, i think they started selling them as soon as they left CA. :( Very disappointed.

I haven't been around lately b/c I moved out of CA and moved back to Texas...that is why you haven't seen me:p Breeders thread is coming up soon;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    dont feel bad, they didnt tape my show either. someone did tape it, but a soundboard would have been nice. maybe some part of my show might make the possible upcoming dvd.
    i don't understand why they didn't record it ya know...it gets on my nerves, hopefully there is SOME recording of that show. But yeah, I wonder when that dvd is coming out, and if Berkeley or at least, Coachella made it :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    i do know someone taped coachella, i saw some audience footage floating around. id imagine the whole set was taped.
    my guess is that the pixies did tape(audio) all the shows but some legal crap is keeping them from releasing them. cause disclive was to have the shows or something. patience is the key here. the other week a pixies show from 88 surfaced for the first time. so it took almost 20 years. id have a hard time believing that the fans didnt tape all the shows that disclive/pixies didnt.