Options

Overated albums?

124»

Comments

• Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    dr jam wrote:
    Somebody explain the huge success of Franz Ferdinand to me... please.

That, and Coldplay (sure, they are an OK band, but who else gets away with doing the same thing over and over and over? Well, apart from Franz Ferdinand ;))

High 5! lol.

The music Coldplay write is OK, but Chris Martin cant sing for shit.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    he wasn't technically gifted but he revolutionized how the guitar could sound in pop music in the 90s. i think for that he deserves some cred.

!!!!!!

Disagree a million times, butt would you care to elaborate?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Caleb983Caleb983 Posts: 17
    Alexisonfire is pretty horrible shit everybody I know seems to like.

Also, somebody has probably already said this, but Pearl Jam's Ten. It's a good album, but I find Vitalogy to be a lot better, and underrated. At least, with the general public, that is.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon & The Wall. Awesome albums, but Pink Floyd does have other albums besides these two.
    Nihilism is best done by professionals
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    anything ever released by chris cornell.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    !!!!!!

Disagree a million times, butt would you care to elaborate?

well, i just think that he brought "punk rock"-sounding guitar into the mainstream by mixing it with very accessible songs. before nirvana, mainstream pop music or hard rock was characterized by really long and elaborate solos and kurt brought a punk rock attitude to his playing. it changed the course of pop music in the 90s because pretty much everyone who was hoping to be successful after nirvana copied that general style of guitar playing
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    i know i would.

and i'm loving the arctic monkeys, 'whatever people say i am........'

Arctic monkeys album is amazing.Their new Ep is amazing too.

Trout Mask Replica by Captain beefheart the most overhyped shite I ever heard.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    fada wrote:
    Arctic monkeys album is amazing.Their new Ep is amazing too.

Trout Mask Replica by Captain beefheart the most overhyped shite I ever heard.

Now I think Trout Mask Replica is a complete masterpiece. It's underrated, in my book. But different strokes for different folks.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Avenged Sevenfold----CRAP, CRAP, CRAP CRAP

did i mention they are CRAP!!!

and also Coheed and Cambria----CRAP, CRAP, CRAP
  • Options
    well, i just think that he brought "punk rock"-sounding guitar into the mainstream by mixing it with very accessible songs. before nirvana, mainstream pop music or hard rock was characterized by really long and elaborate solos and kurt brought a punk rock attitude to his playing. it changed the course of pop music in the 90s because pretty much everyone who was hoping to be successful after nirvana copied that general style of guitar playing

I guess as long as you caveat it with mainstream, I can accept it then
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Just read this whole thread and didn't see one mention of Dave Matthews Band. Blah! Thinking about them makes me mini-puke in my mouth. Any album by them is overrated.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    rcs wrote:
    Just read this whole thread and didn't see one mention of Dave Matthews Band. Blah! Thinking about them makes me mini-puke in my mouth. Any album by them is overrated.

I agree. Dave Matthews sucks.

i don't understand why everyone loves the white stripes. They arent that good. Jack White isn't that good.

Same with Bright Eyes. I will never get why people love him either.

the most overrated band of all time though.....would have to be.....

Led Zeppelin.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Same with Bright Eyes. I will never get why people love him either.

Bright eyes has a lot of stuff I cannot stand, but he also wrote what amounts to one of my faviourite songs of the last decade, "Lets No Shit Ourselves (To Love And To Be Loved)." His last 3 albums were pretty good, but I'm not too keen on his older stuff like Fevers and Mirrors
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Bright eyes has a lot of stuff I cannot stand, but he also wrote what amounts to one of my faviourite songs of the last decade, "Lets No Shit Ourselves (To Love And To Be Loved)." His last 3 albums were pretty good, but I'm not too keen on his older stuff like Fevers and Mirrors

im sorry but that song just really bugs me. to me it just always sounded like some whiney kid doing what whiney kids do best: whine. it's kind of rambly and vague to me. oh well.. de gustibus non est disputandum

i like a couple of his songs though
    saw things so much clearer
  • Options
    See link for highly rated albums to consider for this thread.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time/

I was thinking Beastie Boys (License to Ill) and Beach Boys (Pet Sounds). But sometimes I really enjoy the Beasties (they got better with age), and I have real sympathy for Brian Wilson and his condition.
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    kelly clarkson-breakaway, or any american karaoke contestant.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    10,000 Days - Tool
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    Metallica seem to be getting mentioned a lot.....sure Lars is annoying as hell but they are still the greatest metal band ever...at least IMO. Check out some of the live footage on youtube.com such as the "Enter Sandman" in Seattle or the S and M version of "Nothing Else Matters" for proof.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    im sorry but that song just really bugs me. to me it just always sounded like some whiney kid doing what whiney kids do best: whine. it's kind of rambly and vague to me. oh well.. de gustibus non est disputandum

i like a couple of his songs though

see, usually I can't stand conor for the way he writes most of his songs, which is whiney as hell (at least in his earlier years), but I dunno, I guess I just think he whines very well in Let's Not Shit Ourselves. I really dig the horns in it, too
  • Options
    Green Day - American Idiot

Radiohead - Amnesiac (even though I love most of their other stuff)

Nirvana - Bleach, Incesticide, In Utero

Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Smashing Pumpkins - all albums
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Green Day - American Idiot

Radiohead - Amnesiac (even though I love most of their other stuff)

Nirvana - Bleach, Incesticide, In Utero

Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Smashing Pumpkins - all albums

Siamese Dream is underrated. One of the greatest albums of all time.

AfD is one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time.
  • Options
    ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    Hold up...why all the hate for Metallica? Am I the only one that likes St. Anger? I think it's their best CD EVER...It's got such a raw sound, really good songwriting, and I like that there aren't any guitar solos. Have you ever heard anything like St. Anger on the radio? Frantic is a raging song and Unnamed Feeling is awesome as well. I love almost every song on the CD.

You wanna talk about overrated albums? How about Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning. Sure, they have a few good songs on them, but that's it. I think all of early Metallica's stuff is overrated. The Black album is really good. That's the first Metallica album I actually like. I think Load was amazing...ReLoad wasn't as great but it was still good. Low Man's Lyric is one of Metallica's best songs. I have 2 Mix CD's of My favorite Metallica and here's what's on them...

1. Until it Sleeps
    2. St. Anger
    3. One
    4. Master of Puppets
    5. Unnamed Feeling
    6. Nothing Else Matters
    7. Bleeding Me
    8. Low Man's Lyric
    9. The Unforgiven

1. 2x4
    2. Fade to Black
    3. Sad but True
    4. All Within My Hands
    5. Devil's Dance
    6. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    7. Seek and Destroy
    8. Frantic
    9. The House Jack Built
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    RHCP - One Hot Minute,By the Way,Stadium Arcadium

My collection (save greatest hits from their Warner Bros. era) is now complete. :D
  • Options
    Arabesque wrote:
    really good songwriting,

you lost me right there. The songwriting blew ass on that album.

"Sweet Amber" was okay, though
  • Options
    Arabesque wrote:
    Hold up...why all the hate for Metallica? Am I the only one that likes St. Anger? I think it's their best CD EVER...It's got such a raw sound, really good songwriting, and I like that there aren't any guitar solos. Have you ever heard anything like St. Anger on the radio? Frantic is a raging song and Unnamed Feeling is awesome as well. I love almost every song on the CD.

St. Anger is a System of a Down rip-off. I'd never heard of an old band who are trying to be contemporary going for a SPECIFIC existing contemporary band to copy, until then.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Californication by the chilis. Loads of people go on about this album but aside from scar tissue i find it incredibly boring. The guitar riffs are so uninteresting its painful.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Arctic Monkeys - Big ole hype machine churning overtime on this band.

Foo Fighters - Always threaten to write a great record and they deliver a EP of listenable songs at best.

Tool - Enough with these guys. 10,000 Days is the most unfocused turd to come out in the metal world in a long time. That's right I said metal. It's what they are and please do not buy the line that they are this band bringing back prog rock. Liars, the entire lot of them.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    Arctic Monkeys: Whatever the people.... not a BAD album, but musically no better than The Libertines and lyrically no better than Mike Skinner. Just so hyped up by NME, which is a bullshit rag that overhypes anything popular with the kids.

Nirvana: Nevermind. Bleach was raw, heavy and emotional in a good way. Really interesting and underneath the simplicity there was a great deal of tension and anger. Nevermind attempted to be one step forward, but to me just so uncaptivating and samish. Songwriting was utter shite in places too.

Strokes: Is this it.... Television with a C21 fashion sense. No variation to the songs. kind of pathetic, really

Incubus: everything. They rip off Pearl Jam in more imaginative ways than Creed and Staind, yet get praised for being "innovative". Their music is shit, the vocals are strained and nasalised and their live shows consist of Brandon Boyd taking his shirt off and playing shitty emo-numetalised cockrock. Fuck off and grow up.