Options

Overated albums?

Comments

• Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    danny72688 wrote:
    Fall Out Boy, Bowling for Soup, The Killers... I could go on and on and on. Let's just say any emo band is overrated (unless you consider Green Day, they are for American Idiot (why the fuck do people act like it's the new Dookie???), but nothing else).

Actually i think the Killers album is great, lol.

They're not an emo band (are they?).
    But FOB and BFS can kiss my ass and get dropped from their record label as soon as possible. Utter shite.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    chris01 wrote:
    Actually i think the Killers album is great, lol.

They're not an emo band (are they?).
    But FOB and BFS can kiss my ass and get dropped from their record label as soon as possible. Utter shite.

Sorry I don't think the Killers are emo, but I clump them in 'cause I hate them. They just annoy me worse than Jet...
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    danny72688 wrote:
    Sorry I don't think the Killers are emo, but I clump them in 'cause I hate them. They just annoy me worse than Jet...

I hate Jet as well. The Killers on the other hand, I like. Only judging from a youtube video- they look boring in concert though. Flowers just stands there like he's in constipated the whole time.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    No love for Jet? Whaa, I love them, they put on a great show.

As far as bands go, Coldplay and Radiohead are two of the most overrated bands ever.

Yield is overrated on this board by far, its certainly not as good as the 4 albums before it and now it certainly pales in comparison to the Avocado. Also Ten is overrated in the catalog as a whole, a lot of non hardcore Pearl Jam think its their best album and nothing else matters but theyre very wrong. Vs and Vitalogy and at points No Code are much better.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Kraven wrote:
    Yield is overrated on this board by far, its certainly not as good as the 4 albums before it and now it certainly pales in comparison to the Avocado. Also Ten is overrated in the catalog as a whole, a lot of non hardcore Pearl Jam think its their best album and nothing else matters but theyre very wrong. Vs and Vitalogy and at points No Code are much better.

Woah there...... i can see this thread getting a whole lot busier now that you said that, lol.
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    American Idiot by Green Day and Green Day in general are overrated. Anything emo like Fallout Boy or My Chemical Romance belongs on this list as well. Both albums from Audioslave belong on this list too.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    pipedreams wrote:
    Don't understand

10,000 Days 75:50

Pearl Jam 49:42

But half of 10,000 Days is bullshit Tool noise. Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, and Right In Two are all amazing. The rest is worthless to anyone except people that love everything Tool does, blindly. There are some interesting parts, but for the most part it all coulda been left off and filled with quality material. I expect a few segways since its Tool, but take off Lipan Conjuring, Intension, and Vigenti Tres and replace it with actual music.

10,000 Day- 50:14

Pearl Jam- 48:42
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:
    American Idiot by Green Day and Green Day in general are overrated.

I only give you American Idiot. Dookie deserves the praise and the others are underrated in my opinion.
  • Options
    Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Anything by Led Zepplin or the Stones is completly overrated,and pretty much any modern rock.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Options
    Bob Weir wrote:
    Anything by Led Zepplin or the Stones is completly overrated,and pretty much any modern rock.

Zeppelin could never be overrated. Its not possible. People say they are the best and that just what they are.
  • Options
    pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    Bob Weir wrote:

Set down the crackpipe.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    Everyone's failed to mention Guns N' Roses.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Everyone's failed to mention Guns N' Roses.

I wouldnt really consider that a failure.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I wouldnt really consider that a failure.

They're overrated as shit.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    They're overrated as shit.

How are they overrated. I dont get it. Great musicians, songwriting, arrangements, etc, etc, etc. Sure Axl has an annoying voice, but he has a great sense of melody, and he is responsible for gettin everything outta the boys. Classic tunes, solid live, Axl wasnt on everynight, but he has quite a throat shredding voice.

You dont have to like them, but you cant deny their greatness.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    How are they overrated. I dont get it. Great musicians, songwriting, arrangements, etc, etc, etc. Sure Axl has an annoying voice, but he has a great sense of melody, and he is responsible for gettin everything outta the boys. Classic tunes, solid live, Axl wasnt on everynight, but he has quite a throat shredding voice.

You dont have to like them, but you cant deny their greatness.

I think Appetite is great, but the rest of the albums just go downhill. They get praised for one kick ass album even after the Spaghetti Incident. Use your Illusion 1 & 2 were good, but alone they don't compare. Appetite deserves the praise, the band doesn't because they progressively got worse when they have much more potential.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Oasis - Definately Maybe.

- I've got to be honest i've never understood why this mediocre record gets so much press. Take away the attitude and what you are left with is a bunch of samey, cliched tunes with none being particularl interesting! Except for 'Live Forever' i suppose. 'What's The Story' is a much better album.

RHCP - BSSM

- Again, this aint bad and its enjoyable, but Chili's best? Mother's Milk and By The Way are much better. Alot of the songs sound the same, the drums are too thinnly mixed and its a little bland.

Pearl Jam - Yield

- SHOCK HORROR!! Look i love PJ as much as anyone, and after Soundgarden they are my favorite band but this album is overrated. Its too mellow, its lacking imagination, there's no danger to the songs etc. Its a good album but Vitalogy wipes the floor with it.

Sex Pistols - Nevermind...

- I've never understood why anybody thinks this is a good album. Its utter shite.

Temple of the Dog - S/T

- No offence but the popularity of this record baffles me. Its probably the most overrated of the lot. The songs are directionless, cliched and i get bored listening to it. I know it has sentimental value but that doesn't change the fact that it is crap. Just because i love PJ and SG doesn't mean i'm gonna drool all over this album.

Got to disagree with you on ALL of those :rolleyes:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    transplant wrote:
    Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
    Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand

what. I know it is all opinion but you should probably be shot.

(just kidding of course but seriously those albums are great)

edit: although I guess they aren't the most polished albums in the world, so sadly I can see where you are coming from)
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    And cornellisgod, I agree with your post as well.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I think Appetite is great, but the rest of the albums just go downhill. They get praised for one kick ass album even after the Spaghetti Incident. Use your Illusion 1 & 2 were good, but alone they don't compare. Appetite deserves the praise, the band doesn't because they progressively got worse when they have much more potential.

Fine, the Spaghetti Incident sucked. But the UYI twins have alotta kickass tunes.
  • Options
    Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    pipedreams wrote:
    Set down the crackpipe.
    There is nothing wrong with smoking a little crack once in a while.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Fine, the Spaghetti Incident sucked. But the UYI twins have alotta kickass tunes.

Don't get me wrong I love them, but I don't think they deserve the high status they get. Now if they could duplicate or better or even come close to Appetite my opinion would change. Use Your Illusion does have some great tunes I agree, but keep in mind I keep referring back to Appetite which is why they're praised in the first place in my opinion. And seeing that Appetite is almost 20 years old, they should've at least come close to it by now if they are the rock gods people claim they are.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Sean Paul, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance???

Don't these bands need credibility first in order to be overrated? Last time I checked 13 year old girls love them and critics hate them.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong I love them, but I don't think they deserve the high status they get. Now if they could duplicate or better or even come close to Appetite my opinion would change. Use Your Illusion does have some great tunes I agree, but keep in mind I keep referring back to Appetite which is why they're praised in the first place in my opinion. And seeing that Appetite is almost 20 years old, they should've at least come close to it by now if they are the rock gods people claim they are.

UYI is the complete opposite. You can really tell where they were when they made each album. Spaghetti Incident was just a mistake.

AfD is so raw you can tell that they were livin in the streets, UYI is so polished you can tell they were rich coked out rock stars.
  • Options
    The Strokes : Is This It. They ripped off too many chords.

Red Hot Chili Peppers : Any Album...these guys could fart in a bathtub and it would be considered a masterpiece. Shit albums by a shit band.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    It's got to be "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols."
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    AfD is so raw you can tell that they were livin in the streets, UYI is so polished you can tell they were rich coked out rock stars.

Probably why I don't give those those two (UYI 1 & 2) very much credit - though I like the albums.
  • Options
    pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    Bob Weir wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with smoking a little crack once in a while.

lmao.
    Peace
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    Dark Side of the Moon isnt overrated. Cant really argue somethin thats been sellin for 30 years.
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Oasis-Definitely Maybe...Great band but What's the Story is their only great album.

Pavement-Slanted and Enchanted...Again,great band but not their best album

Pearl Jam-VS.
    Radiohead-Ok computer
    U2-The Joshua Tree

Most Under-rated?Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American,a classic.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06