Options

Overated albums?

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Which albums do you feel are terribly overated, either by critics or the general music buying public. I am obviously talking albums that have had some sort of critical acclaim, not simply albums that have sold a lot of units. One classic example I feel is "Loveless" from My Bloody Valentine. This album gets a huge amount of love on this board at least but its an okay album at best I feel rather than something out of this world.
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Artic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Jack Johnson, and Tool with the grand prize going to.........Robbie Williams.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Jammin909 wrote:
    Artic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Jack Johnson, and Tool with the grand prize going to.........Robbie Williams.

Wow he's on the money there.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    Jammin909 wrote:

Kaizer Chiefs - definitely
    Tool - To some extend. It's just not..ehh...new.
    Arctic Monkeys - No way! Whatever people say... rocks!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    It's only a matter of time before some idiot says Nirvana
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    I agree on Kaizer Chiefs.

Not Tool ,Tool is great!

others:

everything of Sean Paul
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Which albums do you feel are terribly overated, either by critics or the general music buying public. I am obviously talking albums that have had some sort of critical acclaim, not simply albums that have sold a lot of units. One classic example I feel is "Loveless" from My Bloody Valentine. This album gets a huge amount of love on this board at least but its an okay album at best I feel rather than something out of this world.
    Good Thread ASL.

I'll have to think some. I agree to some extent that Loveless is a little overated. I am not saying it is bad. I like it and all. I just don't think it is phenominal.

I'll have to get back to you on some others.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    It's only a matter of time before some idiot says Nirvana

well you'd have to admit that "In Utero" wasn't exactly a classic.... ;)

can. worms. open. hehehehehe
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    well you'd have to admit that "In Utero" wasn't exactly a classic.... ;)

Or some, like me, would say it's their best album.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    jodi wrote:
    Sean Paul

I can't take this stuff...I'm usually open minded to music, but his music racks on my nerves.

;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BinFrog wrote:

i know i would.

and i'm loving the arctic monkeys, 'whatever people say i am........'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    dane wrote:
    Arctic Monkeys - No way! Whatever people say... rocks!

Alright well I'm listening to the Artic Monkeys CD for the fourth time now, last chance!

And yes, Sean Paul is terrible. Maybe him and Shaggy will do a poser Rap/Reggae tour together?
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    molemanmoleman Posts: 8
    BinFrog wrote:

I'll back you up on that aswell.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    moleman wrote:
    I'll back you up on that aswell.

In Utero is their best, and Nevermind is NOT overrated either. It deserves all the attention it gets because it's a superb album.
  • Options
    I'll say any My Chemical Romance album in particular is overrated. I've heard their horrible shit, sober and high, every time it's a pathetic piece of shit that gets so much praise everywhere I look.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Nevermind and In Utero are not over rated albums, dont care what anyone says.

Id say Coldplay's newest one (x&y?) is pretty over rated.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    danny72688 wrote:
    I'll say any My Chemical Romance album in particular is overrated. I've heard their horrible shit, sober and high, every time it's a pathetic piece of shit that gets so much praise everywhere I look.

Good call, stick any Good Charlotte and other stuff like that one your list and im with ya! lol
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    As much as Nirvana is overrated, you would think their albums would be, but thats not entirely true.

Nevermind doesnt really have a bad song on it, and In Utero is solid as well.

Unplugged in NY is pretty overrated imo. The video of the show along with the songs are amazing, but the emotion doesnt carry over to audio nearly as well as PJ's or AIC's unplugged shows.

Around here, MMJ is overrated. I like them, but they arent doin anything revolutionary and they are flatout boring sometimes. Z is especially overrated.

The new Tool is underrated and overrated.

The song quality is there, but the quantity is not. I feel a little jipped by only gettin 6 songs.
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    Good call, stick any Good Charlotte and other stuff like that one your list and im with ya! lol

Fall Out Boy, Bowling for Soup, The Killers... I could go on and on and on. Let's just say any emo band is overrated (unless you consider Green Day, they are for American Idiot (why the fuck do people act like it's the new Dookie???), but nothing else).
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I'm going to say it right now, Nevermind and In Utero. They are decent enough albums, but I honestly don't see what is so great about the music. A few catchy pop songs here and there, a few good rock tunes, but I just don't see it as that groundbreaking. I guess I can see the impact on mainstream radio, so that has to count for something. I just don't like them.

Ummm....
    Arctic Monkeys
    The New Tool (actually even lateralus too)
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    (applicable to these message boards only) Blind Melon/Temple Of The Dog/Alice and Chains. A bunch of average-to good albums that are somehow canonised.
    Post-AJFA Metallica,. esp. The Black album
    most dance rock

i'm sure i can think of more...
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I have to agree on non-80s Metallica. The Black Album was a great album, but blown way out of proportion.

And I disagree about Nirvana but that's just me.
  • Options
    Black albums has two or three good songs on it ("Holier Than Thou"), but a whole lotta crap, too.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Black albums has two or three good songs on it ("Holier Than Thou"), but a whole lotta crap, too.

Maybe it's a Metallica thing but that album is strong from 1-12.
  • Options
    Oasis - Definately Maybe.

- I've got to be honest i've never understood why this mediocre record gets so much press. Take away the attitude and what you are left with is a bunch of samey, cliched tunes with none being particularl interesting! Except for 'Live Forever' i suppose. 'What's The Story' is a much better album.

RHCP - BSSM

- Again, this aint bad and its enjoyable, but Chili's best? Mother's Milk and By The Way are much better. Alot of the songs sound the same, the drums are too thinnly mixed and its a little bland.

Pearl Jam - Yield

- SHOCK HORROR!! Look i love PJ as much as anyone, and after Soundgarden they are my favorite band but this album is overrated. Its too mellow, its lacking imagination, there's no danger to the songs etc. Its a good album but Vitalogy wipes the floor with it.

Sex Pistols - Nevermind...

- I've never understood why anybody thinks this is a good album. Its utter shite.

Temple of the Dog - S/T

- No offence but the popularity of this record baffles me. Its probably the most overrated of the lot. The songs are directionless, cliched and i get bored listening to it. I know it has sentimental value but that doesn't change the fact that it is crap. Just because i love PJ and SG doesn't mean i'm gonna drool all over this album.
    "That f***ing guy makes me wanna puke, sending a statue of himself on tour: what the f*** is all that about? What a f***ing jerk. You know what I hope? I hope he's buggering Lisa Marie! Shit, that asshole Elvis must be rolling in his grave, F***er."

Chris Cornell doesn't like Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:

I'm just going to agree to disagree, then.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    danny72688 wrote:

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, so I could be way off, but didnt they go more mainstream with AJFA and then really cemented their legend with the Black album. Metallica(album) is alot like Ten or Zeppelin IV. They have been played a billion times, but people still like hearin the music. True they may have "better" albums, but every great band has a signature album that has been overplayed, and people are gonna say its overrated.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I'm just going to agree to disagree, then.

Okay that's cool. Like I said it may be just me. Your opinion is fine too, I can see where you're coming from actually, but the album is great to me.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I'm not a huge Metallica fan, so I could be way off, but didnt they go more mainstream with AJFA and then really cemented their legend with the Black album. Metallica(album) is alot like Ten or Zeppelin IV. They have been played a billion times, but people still like hearin the music. True they may have "better" albums, but every great band has a signature album that has been overplayed, and people are gonna say its overrated.

I think Metallica was very popular all throughout the 80s especially after the release of Master of Puppets, but went commercial for And Justice. Then they made the Black Album - basically more radio friendly so it was more widely accepted.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
    Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
  • Options
    pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The new Tool is underrated and overrated.

The song quality is there, but the quantity is not. I feel a little jipped by only gettin 6 songs.

Don't understand

10,000 Days 75:50

Pearl Jam 49:42
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    oooh not slanted and enchanted..... that's a corker :(

rhcp last couple. boring.
    pink floyd. dark side of the moon. boring.
    arctic monkeys. yawn.
    libertines... or anything by that f***wit doherty and carl "fifth biggest rock icon ever" barat. neither talented nor iconic. stick to the drugs.
    coldplay. xyzzzzzzzzzz.
    keane. remember them?
    oasis. all of their albums but especially the later ones. for the love of god leave us alone. if we wanted the beatles we'd listen to the beatles...

the list could go on............. ain't subjective discussions brilliant?!
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...