Options

Overated albums?

Comments

• Options
    the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    ten

how stupid of this message board to make me have to type so many words when one would have done the trick.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    transplant wrote:
    Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
    Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand

:(

this is a shot right through my heart. Bee Thousand is one of my all time favorite records. All I can imagine while listening to that cd is Bob Pollard getting really drunk with his buddies one night and recording the whole album in his basement. Bee Thousand is one of the best.

GBV were one of the best. Man I miss that band.

I can understand the S & E comment, because even I tend to think that record is just a bit overrated. (don't get me wrong, I love it to death, but when it comes down to it, some of those mid-period GBV records blow it away)
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    All new music is overrated because 99% of it isnt even any good at all and I have always found Radiohead's OK computer to be overrated
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Anything by nickelback :)
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    The Strokes : Is This It. They ripped off too many chords.

Im not a fan of that album either, but what does they ripped off too many chords mean?

That doesnt make any sense to me, if you mean they ripped off a riff then ok but i dunno how chords can be ripped off, lol.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Dark Side of the Moon isnt overrated. Cant really argue somethin thats been sellin for 30 years.

Sure you can. If I argued based on how well albums sold then I would have probably the worst taste in music ever. I personally think it IS a little overrated, but it is still really good, my 3rd fave floyd album.

The Sex Pistols ia GREAT call. That album is just plain bunk.

Also, I am blasting SLanted and Enchanted so hard right now to spite you guys.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

Also, I am blasting SLanted and Enchanted so hard right now to spite you guys.

S & E is one of my favorite summer records.

I need to listen to that again. It's been a while......
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    S & E is one of my favorite summer records.

I need to listen to that again. It's been a while......

I love almost every song on the album. MAAYBE not "Chealsea's Little Wrists." It isn't offensively bad but it ain't awesome.

I still haven't listened to disc 2 on my deluxe edition. The album itself is a monster, let alone 35 bonus tracks (the same goes for CR,CR too)
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I love almost every song on the album. MAAYBE not "Chealsea's Little Wrists." It isn't offensively bad but it ain't awesome.

I still haven't listened to disc 2 on my deluxe edition. The album itself is a monster, let alone 35 bonus tracks (the same goes for CR,CR too)

the 2nd disc on the Cr,Cr deluxe edition is great. check that out sometime. "All My Friends" is worth a listen alone.

the live stuff on the S & E one is great, also.
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Dont get me wrong, I like them a lot but wolfmother are over-rated.

I love the foo fighters, but it got annoying how much hype mainstream had for IYH. 1x1 was better (IMO)
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    danny72688 wrote:
    In Utero is their best, and Nevermind is NOT overrated either. It deserves all the attention it gets because it's a superb album.

I AGREE!!! Nirvana could do no wrong in my eyes. Same with the White Stripes. I love those bands.

The only album I have bought that I was convinced would be cool from stupid ass music magazines would be The Vines "Winning Days". I got it having really high expectations and then it was a very huge letdown. So me and my friends taped it to a bomb we made and blew that shit up! Same with Metallica's "St Anger". God that cd blows...............up very nicely hahahaha
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

It has three or four great songs and that's it. The rest of it is easily forgettable.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - BloodSugarSexMagik

Seriously, why did anyone ever like Give it Away? Most of this CD is junk besides Under the Bridge and Breaking the Girl.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here, the song, is a classic. But this album is less than inspiring. Shine on You Crazy Diamond has like 5 minutes of filler before the song even starts, Welcome to the Machine is okay at best, and Have a Cigar is just plain boring.

Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction

This CD has three great songs, but do three great songs make an album? No. The rest of the CD is just bad eighties metal.

Velvet Revolver

This album only had ONE good song on it, Slither. What was everything else? I can't even remember any of them and believe me, I tried. I loved STP and I even like Slash, but this is crap. Hopefully their new one will be better.

Anything by Korn, AC/DC, U2, and the Rolling Stones. All four bands are overrated.
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    rage333 wrote:
    So me and my friends taped it to a bomb we made and blew that shit up! Same with Metallica's "St Anger". God that cd blows...............up very nicely hahahaha

I wish I had four hands so I could give you four thumbs up for destroying that piece of shit St. Anger.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I wish I had four hands so I could give you four thumbs up for destroying that piece of shit St. Anger.

that album seems to be universally hated.

I don't think I've met one person that liked it.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    that album seems to be universally hated.

I don't think I've met one person that liked it.

That might be because it's a piece of shit. Metallica can do better, though I'm starting to doubt that after Load, Reload, that God awful S & M concert, their new cover songs and St. Anger (minus select, very few of them at that, songs from a couple of those albums).
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    That might be because it's a piece of shit. Metallica can do better, though I'm starting to doubt that after Load, Reload, that God awful S & M concert, their new cover songs and St. Anger (minus select, very few of them at that, songs from a couple of those albums).

I dunno...Metallica always sucked in my opinion.....
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:

(Low blow ;) ) Well I'm a huge Metallica fan, and everyone I know that likes them agrees with me. Their 80s stuff is fun! And yes, the Black Album is very overrated, but still good.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    (Low blow ;) ) Well I'm a huge Metallica fan, and everyone I know that likes them agrees with me. Their 80s stuff is fun! And yes, the Black Album is very overrated, but still good.

I have to admit, if i were going to listen to them, it would definitely be their old stuff.

I just cannot stand how ridiculous they have gotten. Especially Lars. Does the whining ever stop?
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Especially Lars. Does the whining ever stop?

Don't even get me started on him ;) I wanna kick his ass!
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Don't even get me started on him ;) I wanna kick his ass!

I'd like to beat his ass as well.

Metallica today represent everything thats wrong with the music industry.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:

You should have been there. The artwork lit up in flames and pieces of that shitty ass St Anger flew all over and at least 30 feet in the air. It was a very good moment and almost made buying that piece pf crap worth it. haha
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    rage333 wrote:
    You should have been there. The artwork lit up in flames and pieces of that shitty ass St Anger flew all over and at least 30 feet in the air. It was a very good moment and almost made buying that piece pf crap worth it. haha

I have some CDs I'd love to destroy. Any tips? Sounds fun - I almost wanna get St. Anger just to destroy it...
  • Options
    Well I dont know how legal it is to describe how to make bombas over the inter net so I wont haha. But if you have ever messed with Piccilo Petes (a fire cracker) and a water bottle then you know what I am talkin about. I hate St Anger. It was very satisfying to blow it up. And if their next one sucks............it will have the same fate hahaha
  • Options
    rage333 wrote:
    Well I dont know how legal it is to describe how to make bombas over the inter net so I wont haha.

and who knows, the NSA could be monitoring your posts here.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:

The first four albums were very good, Master Of Puppets was pretty much a masterpiece, and I really loved Garage Inc. too.

They did have some moments of thrash brilliance, though (arguably when they were still using Dave's old riffs?)
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Everything they ever did is overrated. They were the 5th best grunge band behind PJ, STP, Soundgarden, and AIC. This is not to say their music is terrible i really think its quite good in fact better than most shit that comes out today but it saddens me to know that the best bands of this era are always overshadowed by cobain and co. And if I may add a new aspect to this post I would also like to award cobain with the most overrated guitarist honor. What the fuck was rolling stone thinking???? this guy is just not good.
  • Options
    eloesch1 wrote:
    Everything they ever did is overrated. They were the 5th best grunge band behind PJ, STP, Soundgarden, and AIC. This is not to say their music is terrible i really think its quite good in fact better than most shit that comes out today but it saddens me to know that the best bands of this era are always overshadowed by cobain and co. And if I may add a new aspect to this post I would also like to award cobain with the most overrated guitarist honor. What the fuck was rolling stone thinking???? this guy is just not good.

he wasn't technically gifted but he revolutionized how the guitar could sound in pop music in the 90s. i think for that he deserves some cred.

i agree that nirvana is overrated. did they make 2 or 3 really incredible albums? yeah. are they the greatest band ever? no. is STP better than them though? no

when all is said and done, i still return to 'in utero' as one of my favorite albums ever
  • Options
    vitalpj10vitalpj10 Posts: 142
    BinFrog wrote:
    Or some, like me, would say it's their best album.

That's the problem, It was their best album
    ...I thought the world, turns out the word thought me
  • Options
    I haven't seen Wilco mentioned here so I'll have to nominate them... specifically the album with the egg on it. I didn't get it.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    dr jamdr jam Posts: 69
    Somebody explain the huge success of Franz Ferdinand to me... please.

That, and Coldplay (sure, they are an OK band, but who else gets away with doing the same thing over and over and over? Well, apart from Franz Ferdinand ;))