music's biggest falls from grace?

Comments

• angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    gotta disagree with Axl Rose being mentioned..
    as elmer said..the new songs we've heard so far can easily be hits
    only reasons the new album might not sell are those living in the past will always be haters and wont give the album a chance and secondly its not gonna be liked by kids cos it isnt the "in" genre

if Newsted ever had integrity...he would have left as soon as he joined...he was treated like an outsider from day one and the hazing just din end.
    he never fit in with those guys...they especially James always bullied him as we all know throughout his career with 'tallicA
    he probably stayed with them at first to record at least an album and complete a tour with them.
    he definitely stayed with them for the next 11 years cos it was easy money.
    no way i think he left cos of musical differences..i mean look at the sappy rock crap hes putting out with Rockstar Supernova now...it makes "Load" sound as heavy and trash as "Reign in Blood"
    also when he left in 2001...noone knew what musical direction the band was heading for too..not even the band...he left because he never did fit in and never was going to..thats my opinion
    I'm very happy they have ditched Bob Rock..i love "Load" but its time for a change and im very excited to hear what Rick Rubin can do to help MetallicA achieve greatness again!
    ive seen alot of your posts in the past and ive never understood the hard on you have for axl and g'n'r. . .even if you liked them back in the day, how can you still defend axl at this point? he is an absolute joke. . .he has shit on g'n'r fans for years with his actions (or lack there of). sorry for this rant, its just mind blowing to me that some people still defend this guy
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Axl didn't fall off no mountain. He took his ball and went home. If you guys had heard any of the new songs like Better, IRS, Madagascar, The Blues, and TWAT, you would realize that Axl's put his hiking boots back on and he'll be again climbing to the top of the music world in 2007.

I'll be holding my breath for this along with a new Van Halen album....not!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ive seen alot of your posts in the past and ive never understood the hard on you have for axl and g'n'r. . .even if you liked them back in the day, how can you still defend axl at this point? he is an absolute joke. . .he has shit on g'n'r fans for years with his actions (or lack there of). sorry for this rant, its just mind blowing to me that some people still defend this guy

Trouble with Axl is that even though he has behaved like a total toolbag over the years, including precipitating riots whwen he has walked off stage, when he is on his game he is an amazing performer and entertainer, so he ain't gonna go away.
    Agree that he has shit on his fans and everyone else too many times.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I only say this because... well... you'll see:

The band Kittie. They were a 4 piece all female metal/hardcore band in the late 90s - early 2000s. They sold ~ 2 million of their 2 albums and EPs released at the time, which by any standard is decent, especially in that sort of genre. Essentially, they shot to stardom quickly, did the Late night TV stuff, NA, European tours, and were the first band booked for the 99 (maybe 2000) Ozzfest tour. After 2001, they just sort of disappeared into obscurity. Keep in mind, I hated their music, as do and did a lot of people :p

Well anyways, I only bring it up because their original guitar player is in my program at school (there's ~16-17 of us), and we've taken countless courses together and it was only last week that I realized that she was in that band. :D

I guess you wouldn't really call that a fall from grace - getting an education is always a good thing -.

Nice girl, great sense of style. :)
  • Lucifer.

Seriously.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Axl's my idol..if a fan doesnt support him then who will?
    for the many "bad" things he has done..he has made up for all of them in my eyes...and as for recent events..it's all been the media..finally he has spoken up and this time he is saying when the album is due and shit unlike before when it was the media or bored fans making up rumors.
    Axl hasn't taken as long as people think for this album..he's only been working on it since early 99 and with the legal problems,member changes etc he's been through any band in his situation would take this long too.
    if the album doesn't come out in 2007 for a legit reason then i say the fans have a right to be pissed off.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Lucifer.

Seriously.

Yeah, but is he a musician?

If you read Sandman, Lucifer was last seen playing piano at a bar in L.A., so it's a possibility.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    Yeah, but is he a musician?

If you read Sandman, Lucifer was last seen playing piano at a bar in L.A., so it's a possibility.

In many traditions, Lucifer was very closely tied to music in Heaven, before his fall from grace.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    he totally blew his chance to remain relevant and vital.
    yet anything he does makes headlines?
    every other band cancels shows and shit but because it's Axl..it makes special headlines with the media.
    the media thrives on negative publicity and unfortunately everyone prefers that instead of positives.
    like i said..once a hater, always a hater...Axl could even cure Aids, cancer and world hunger but someone would find a reason to bash him..maybe everyone will start calling him a sexist when he forgets to put the toilet seat down one day.

from most people's judgment here..it would seem Pearl Jam are also biggest falls from grace since they don't sell as many records anymore and aren't as relevant to music as before since maybe Vitalogy...and thats nonsense cos we all know Pearl Jam still rule.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Going back a bit but does anyone remember The Knack, their 1st record sold millions, their second...3 or 4 copies.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    elderman wrote:
    Going back a bit but does anyone remember The Knack, their 1st record sold millions, their second...3 or 4 copies.
    One of the great "one hit wonders" of the past 30 years........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    i worshiped the fucking ground axl and g'n'r walked on in the late 80's/early 90's. they helped me get past hair metal and into serious rock and roll, so don't call me a hater. i base my opinions on the actions of the man in the last 10-15 years. he's a jackass. or, more specifically, he's a self-absorbed, egomaniacal recluse who has completely blown his legacy. he shows absolutely no respect for his fans when he shows up hours late to shows, and cancels shows for no good reason. it doesn't matter at this point if chinese democracy ever comes out, because ax-hole will fade into oblivion regardless.

and pearl jam still rules because they still care, and try. unlike ax-hole.
    the fans still turn up at the shows regardless(massaging his ego) , same as they will still buy (well, obtain at least) the album when/if it surfaces. he damages his legacy by being alive , but still makes the press because he does what others would love to do but just havent the balls to do it.

I did and still do find the whole asshole act enticing because axl carries it off with such aplomb,
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yet anything he does makes headlines?
    every other band cancels shows and shit but because it's Axl..it makes special headlines with the media.
    the media thrives on negative publicity and unfortunately everyone prefers that instead of positives.
    like i said..once a hater, always a hater...Axl could even cure Aids, cancer and world hunger but someone would find a reason to bash him..maybe everyone will start calling him a sexist when he forgets to put the toilet seat down one day.

from most people's judgment here..it would seem Pearl Jam are also biggest falls from grace since they don't sell as many records anymore and aren't as relevant to music as before since maybe Vitalogy...and thats nonsense cos we all know Pearl Jam still rule.
    first of all at this point noone really cares that much so i dont know where your seeing axl headlines, and secondly any headlines he does make are NEGATIVE, he is always doing something to screw whatever fans he has left. . .jesus, now axl is gonna cure AIDS??!! you need to calm down a little, this guy can do no wrong in your eyes. . .geez, you REALLY took a big swig of the axl kool aid today, eh?
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • I don't really understand the defense of Axl. He thought he was GNR and his bandmates (other than Izzy) have gone and formed a band who are doing very well at least in a commercial sense. Meanwhile Axl is cancelling shows and everyone laughs everytime he promises to put a record out. Limp Bizkit is a good suggestion, they were massive and they died after the Nu-metal sound faded.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    and secondly any headlines he does make are NEGATIVE,
    he played a free show for some charity thing this year..that never made headlines..
    even when he visited a sick home in London this year..he got bashed for the clothes he wore
    Limp Bizkit is a good suggestion, they were massive and they died after the Nu-metal sound faded.
    i agree on this one too...even when Fred tried a new route with that RATM sounding single it flopped..

YNWA
  • I don't know if it's been said already...didn't read through...but Jimmy Page collaborating with P Diddy.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Fuck zwan. His solo album was pretty damn good, and every second of Machina and Adore was incredible. Fall from grace my ass.

UGH.

Gimme some of what you're smokin', man.

Adore and Machina have their moments, but they are not fucking masterpieces. To say, with apparent absolute sincerity, that every second of both is incredible is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I'm continually amazed by how many people out there still fervently drink Corgan's Kool-Aid. It's been one long, slow dive since Adore. The new album could surprise, but considering Corgan's ouput in the last 8-9 years, I'm not holding my breath.

And any answer to the question this thread is posing other than Michael Jackson is wrong. No one in the history of recorded music has achieved what he has at both ends of celebrity. This is a guy who has/had the biggest selling album of all time, who had mass appeal all over the world, who, due to his success, essentially owned a good chunk of the Beatles catalog, etc etc etc. He now is basically forced to live in exile in Bahrain. I mean, read his Wikipedia and try and tell me Axl Rose even comes close to this. No way.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I don't know if it's been said already...didn't read through...but Jimmy Page collaborating with P Diddy.
    they released only one song that Im aware of: Come With Me. was LedZeps Kashmir but with puffmeister diddy doing his rap thang. part of the Godzilla film soundtrack,,,,,,,I werent too impressed by it
  • you can only write the same song so many times over and over again before your listeners eventually gets tired of it (unless you're green day for some reason).
    I have to call bullshit. What Green Day album or song for that matter is basically the same? They're like PJ in a sense where each record has a different feel.
  • Chris Cornell.

Yeah I know this is not going to go over well. But I stand by it. I liked the solo record, but I maintain Audioslave is utter shit, the Bond song was lame, and the modeling is even lamer.

Nothing you say can ever be taken seriously again.
  • I don't know if it's been said already...didn't read through...but Jimmy Page collaborating with P Diddy.

I was going to say, Jimmy Page falling offstage, stoned and spent, at Zep's Oakland Coliseum, CA gig, in 1977; and getting upstaged by Sammy Hagar, the support act.
  • AndySlash wrote:
    UGH.

Gimme some of what you're smokin', man.

Adore and Machina have their moments, but they are not fucking masterpieces. To say, with apparent absolute sincerity, that every second of both is incredible is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I'm continually amazed by how many people out there still fervently drink Corgan's Kool-Aid. It's been one long, slow dive since Adore. The new album could surprise, but considering Corgan's ouput in the last 8-9 years, I'm not holding my breath.
    Just because you don't like the more electronic music he's putting out doesn't mean it isn't brilliant.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Just because you don't like the more electronic music he's putting out doesn't mean it isn't brilliant.

Just because YOU do like it doesn't mean it's brilliant, either. And the "electronic" aspect has nothing to do with it, I don't know why you choose to single that out.
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    InHiding80 wrote:
    Hootie and the Blowfish - Name one other band that goes from selling 20 million copies of their debut to only 2 million.

The Vines,m probably didnt sell 20 million with their debut but im certain htey didnt sell more than 40,000 with their 2nd and 3rd albums
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    i do agree with what people have been saying about Hootie and the Blowfish that has to be one of the biggest falls ever...the radio world killed this band with oversaturation of their music, half of the album was played on the radio and now they are playing town fairs and stuff (no joke)
  • what about elvis?? i mean if we're talking about the biggest fall, than it would have to be someone who fell from the very top and reached rock bottom. i mean elvis did all those stupid movies(if you like them than you need help) and then he got all fat and incorporated karate into his stage performance(lame) and then he died on the shitter with his pants around his ankles. and he was only worth about 100 thousand dollars when he kicked the bucket. top that. :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • surferdude wrote:
    Yeah. They make records to have them sell and be heard. Having them be heard and bought by more people is a good thing. Their first album sold quite well without sacfricing the art. I'm sure they wish there last album sold well too.

Are you referring to Pearl Jam? I really don't think this is true. This is how Pearl Jam's career has gone...

*1991 -They wanted to be stars

*1992 -Album went through the roof overnight.

* 1993- Quickly saw the pitfalls of fame, got scared, spent a few years trying to pull back a bit

*1993-1996 -While Vs and Vitalogy were huge, the boys were essentially recluses. No Code finally cooled off

* 1996-2005 -They really seemed to enjoy how things went. Albums did ok, but they weren't in the insane stratosphere of superstardom. Huge cult following makes concerts a big hit.

* 2006- Promoted new album on new label. It did ok. The band still seems really happy.

* 2007 -? Probably more of the same. Gold records and intense 3 hour concerts in front of 10,000 or so fans every night.

The band still exists and thrives BECAUSE they pulled out of the spotlight, not in spite of it. They seem fine in the knowledge that they have to trade off a little commercial success for a lot of piece of mind.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    pretty self-explantory.....those who have fallen off the highest mountain in the worst and most obvious fashion. my two nominees are axl rose and scott stapp. both were lead singers of MASSIVE bands and both stuffed up big time and had their former bandmates go on and make music without them, showing that they were far from irreplacable. axl keeps promising a record when the whole world knows it will ever happen, becoming the biggest joke in rock. meanwhile stapp still pretends he wasen't high when he had a really dodgy night in chicago and got in a fight with the members of 311 and lost, not to mention a sex tape involving him getting out in the public domain.
    pearl jam mid 90's?
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Ugly kid joe.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    pearl jam mid 90's?

pj certainly isn't as popular as they once were (if i had a dollar for every person who said they only like their early stuff) but they haven't fallen off to the same extent as other acts mentioned in this thread. they still have a good following who make sure their live concerts easily sell out. but they certainly are nowhere near the level of ten and vs.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?