music's biggest falls from grace?

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited December 2006 in Other Music
pretty self-explantory.....those who have fallen off the highest mountain in the worst and most obvious fashion. my two nominees are axl rose and scott stapp. both were lead singers of MASSIVE bands and both stuffed up big time and had their former bandmates go on and make music without them, showing that they were far from irreplacable. axl keeps promising a record when the whole world knows it will ever happen, becoming the biggest joke in rock. meanwhile stapp still pretends he wasen't high when he had a really dodgy night in chicago and got in a fight with the members of 311 and lost, not to mention a sex tape involving him getting out in the public domain.
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Leif Garrett

:D
  • i made a similar thread not too long ago and i nominated paul mccartney. but i'd probably say axl rose, too. like when he did the music awards a couple of years ago - that was embarrassing. i couldn't watch. it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i made a similar thread not too long ago and i nominated paul mccartney. but i'd probably say axl rose, too. like when he did the music awards a couple of years ago - that was embarrassing. i couldn't watch. it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

yeah mccartney certainly has become a bit of a joke, with accusations of bashing up his ex-wife amongst other things. axl had it all and threw it all away......
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm gonna go for JAson Newstead, bailed on Metallica just as things were gonna come together, brief flirtation with Voivod etc, Ozzie had to crash his quad, then straight to reality TV, ouch !!!
    Without disrespect to Rob, I would like to see him back.
    It funny how many former band members have gotten over their lovers tiffs and re-united now that touring old bands is so popular.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • yeah mccartney certainly has become a bit of a joke, with accusations of bashing up his ex-wife amongst other things. axl had it all and threw it all away......

ya but remember, those are only accusations. married couples fight all the time. but musically speaking, he hasn't been the same since the beatles split. even to this day when he tours, the shows are loaded with beatles songs. hardly any songs he's done since. nobody wants to hear them.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    my two nominees are axl rose and scott stapp. both were lead singers of MASSIVE bands and both stuffed up big time and had their former bandmates go on and make music without them, showing that they were far from irreplacable. axl keeps promising a record when the whole world knows it will ever happen, becoming the biggest joke in rock.
    fuck knows who this Stapp is, but axl has some great songs since gnr,,,, granted slash is a loss but velvet revolver are just standard rock fare. I liked Weiland as well but their band.....aint up to it !!!!
    Having released Appetite places axl head and shoulders above the rest.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezLO4sHuhcA&mode=related&search=
  • milli vanilli - sure most of us probably didn't like them.. but enough people did and they were caught lip-synching and one of the members dies.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    Hootie and the Blowfish - Name one other band that goes from selling 20 million copies of their debut to only 2 million.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    InHiding80 wrote:
    Hootie and the Blowfish - Name one other band that goes from selling 20 million copies of their debut to only 2 million.

only double platinum?
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    brain of c wrote:
    only double platinum?
    Pearl Jam would kill for double platinum. Add up the sales of their last three studio albums and yo may still not reach double platinum.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • vince neil
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • InHiding80 wrote:

any boy band...

generally speaking, it's not that hard to identify if a pop artist has staying power or not. people like hootie and scott stapp just don't last that long. you can only write the same song so many times over and over again before your listeners eventually gets tired of it (unless you're green day for some reason).
    ON the subject of Hootie, anyone else think that a few PJ songs sound a lot like them, esp ones written by Mike, "Down" springs to mind ????
  • I'm gonna go for JAson Newstead, bailed on Metallica just as things were gonna come together, brief flirtation with Voivod etc, Ozzie had to crash his quad, then straight to reality TV, ouch !!!
    Without disrespect to Rob, I would like to see him back.
    It funny how many former band members have gotten over their lovers tiffs and re-united now that touring old bands is so popular.

what part of metallica's recent history could have possibly indicated that things were about to come together?

newsted bailed because he was the only one of the four who had any integrity left. the bob rock version of metallica was not the band that he had signed up for. and judging from what metallica has done since newsted left, it's tough to argue against his decision. i'd much rather be touring with ozzy and zakk wylde than with ulrich and friends (even if it's only a few shows a year)...
    what part of metallica's recent history could have possibly indicated that things were about to come together?

newsted bailed because he was the only one of the four who had any integrity left. the bob rock version of metallica was not the band that he had signed up for. and judging from what metallica has done since newsted left, it's tough to argue against his decision. i'd much rather be touring with ozzy and zakk wylde than with ulrich and friends (even if it's only a few shows a year)...

Ah, see I love teh Bob Rock version of Metallica. I think that JAson contributed hugely to the band. My take on St Anger does not relate to teh production, more to the lack of melodic element, and I think that was everybody being seduced by the nu-metal thing of no solos etc.
    The coming together thing was more about JAmes getting his shit together, but maybe Jason had to leave for that to happen. Still I think it is a shame he is no longer part of the picture, he surely deserves to be.
  • Ah, see I love teh Bob Rock version of Metallica. I think that JAson contributed hugely to the band. My take on St Anger does not relate to teh production, more to the lack of melodic element, and I think that was everybody being seduced by the nu-metal thing of no solos etc.
    The coming together thing was more about JAmes getting his shit together, but maybe Jason had to leave for that to happen. Still I think it is a shame he is no longer part of the picture, he surely deserves to be.

i actually like load and re-load more than i'm usually willing to admit. there was a lot of good material on those discs (bleeding me, the outlaw torn, low man's lyric, fiXXXer, etc). but a lot of us old-school metallica fans have always struggled to come to terms with the fact that this is the same band that gave us master of puppets.

and you know there was no bigger old-school metallica fan than jason newsted. it seemed like at every concert, interview, and appearance that he made since load, he had this expression on his face that said, "i am such a fucking tool." that's why he left. he just couldn't take it anymore.

i agree with you entirely about st. anger. they just couldn't write songs during those sessions (and then we got a documentary that was basically two hours of them sitting around going "why do we suck?"). it might be because they don't get along with each other anymore (this can have a HUGE effect on a person's creative output), or it could just be that they've run out of ideas. but yeah, they were definitely trying to write an album which would prove that they could still be hard-edged. all they really ended up proving was that metal had passed them by.

but now they have rick rubin producing their next album. i'm kind of excited to see where this leads...
    i actually like load and re-load more than i'm usually willing to admit. there was a lot of good material on those discs (bleeding me, the outlaw torn, low man's lyric, fiXXXer, etc). but a lot of us old-school metallica fans have always struggled to come to terms with the fact that this is the same band that gave us master of puppets.

and you know there was no bigger old-school metallica fan than jason newsted. it seemed like at every concert, interview, and appearance that he made since load, he had this expression on his face that said, "i am such a fucking tool." that's why he left. he just couldn't take it anymore.

i agree with you entirely about st. anger. they just couldn't write songs during those sessions (and then we got a documentary that was basically two hours of them sitting around going "why do we suck?"). it might be because they don't get along with each other anymore (this can have a HUGE effect on a person's creative output), or it could just be that they've run out of ideas. but yeah, they were definitely trying to write an album which would prove that they could still be hard-edged. all they really ended up proving was that metal had passed them by.

but now they have rick rubin producing their next album. i'm kind of excited to see where this leads...

Yeah, I read Rubin's bio on wikipedia today, he should really bring some stuff to the table. I'm the same age as teh Metallica/PJ guys, and tell ya, ya just mellow as you age no matter how much you think you won't, and it's actually nice. Less pressure etc, and you can open up to differnet ideas etc. The Loads were an expression of that, and I wanted more of it, kinda like the differnece between Ten and Yield, or the differnece between the way Ed sings Alive or Black now, and the way he sang it then. Dudes that want bands to stay locked in a time warp are just boring. They are living breathing evolving changing things, and we all need to respect that. RE-making your early albums is like having a mid-life crisis, leaving your wife adn running off with a young chick. Seems like a good idea at the time but afterwards you think, what teh fuck !!! And usually earns max disrespect from everyone.
    I liked your selection, add UNforgiven 2, King NOthing, Ronnie.
    MAtbe you groaned a bit at UNforgiven 2, but can I ask, how would you have felt about "Master of Puppets 2" ???

Anyway , I am off topic, but no-one else is posting and you were polite enough to respond.
    Work is boring, and this screen is my only window.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    no axl rose/guns n roses?
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Yeah, I read Rubin's bio on wikipedia today, he should really bring some stuff to the table. I'm the same age as teh Metallica/PJ guys, and tell ya, ya just mellow as you age no matter how much you think you won't, and it's actually nice. Less pressure etc, and you can open up to differnet ideas etc. The Loads were an expression of that, and I wanted more of it, kinda like the differnece between Ten and Yield, or the differnece between the way Ed sings Alive or Black now, and the way he sang it then. Dudes that want bands to stay locked in a time warp are just boring. They are living breathing evolving changing things, and we all need to respect that. RE-making your early albums is like having a mid-life crisis, leaving your wife adn running off with a young chick. Seems like a good idea at the time but afterwards you think, what teh fuck !!! And usually earns max disrespect from everyone.
    I liked your selection, add UNforgiven 2, King NOthing, Ronnie.
    MAtbe you groaned a bit at UNforgiven 2, but can I ask, how would you have felt about "Master of Puppets 2" ???

Anyway , I am off topic, but no-one else is posting and you were polite enough to respond.
    Work is boring, and this screen is my only window.

lol... master of puppets 2. don't give them any ideas. they might be reading this.

that's actually what was so confusing to me about re-load. they were clearly trying to go in a different artistic direction, so why include a sequel to one of their previous hits? that's just never a good idea. it labeled them as sellouts and took away from the notion that they were trying to explore different sounds.

and yeah... work is always boring. but i have to get up for it tomorrow regardless, so i'm going to sleep...
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    gotta disagree with Axl Rose being mentioned..
    as elmer said..the new songs we've heard so far can easily be hits
    only reasons the new album might not sell are those living in the past will always be haters and wont give the album a chance and secondly its not gonna be liked by kids cos it isnt the "in" genre
    newsted bailed because he was the only one of the four who had any integrity left. the bob rock version of metallica was not the band that he had signed up for.
    if Newsted ever had integrity...he would have left as soon as he joined...he was treated like an outsider from day one and the hazing just din end.
    he never fit in with those guys...they especially James always bullied him as we all know throughout his career with 'tallicA
    he probably stayed with them at first to record at least an album and complete a tour with them.
    he definitely stayed with them for the next 11 years cos it was easy money.
    no way i think he left cos of musical differences..i mean look at the sappy rock crap hes putting out with Rockstar Supernova now...it makes "Load" sound as heavy and trash as "Reign in Blood"
    also when he left in 2001...noone knew what musical direction the band was heading for too..not even the band...he left because he never did fit in and never was going to..thats my opinion
    I'm very happy they have ditched Bob Rock..i love "Load" but its time for a change and im very excited to hear what Rick Rubin can do to help MetallicA achieve greatness again!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Michael Jackson. Dude(?) had undeniable talent, but put himself in such a insular little world that he completely lost touch with reality. Couple that with using his fame and money to support/hide his pedophilia, he's never going back to where he was in the Thriller/Off the Wall days.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    merkinball wrote:
    Michael Jackson. Dude(?) had undeniable talent, but put himself in such a insular little world that he completely lost touch with reality. Couple that with using his fame and money to support/hide his pedophilia, he's never going back to where he was in the Thriller/Off the Wall days.
    good call!
    have to agree with Jacko too.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • It doesn't matter if some of these songs from Axl and co have the potential to be hits, because they will never see the sight of a cd store. How long has this album being promised again? VERY good call about Jacko, he was the biggest pop star bar none and he is now a walking punchline.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Queen. Ever since Freddy died they've had absolutely nothing but have carried on embarressing everyone.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • taratara Posts: 293
    surferdude wrote:
    Pearl Jam would kill for double platinum.

Really? would they?
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • I'm sure the fact that the albums don't go double-platinum anymore keeps PJ up at night.

sticking to the topic at hand, DMB fell-off in a bad way
    hate was just a legend
    I'm sure the fact that the albums don't go double-platinum anymore keeps PJ up at night.

sticking to the topic at hand, DMB fell-off in a bad way

DMB ???
    David Muthafucka Bowie ???
    Good call on Jacko !! Major nosedive !!
    Mind you , in the sma e vein, Britney is not far off.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    merkinball wrote:

That was going to be my entry

Other people that were huge but lost it somehow:

Peter Frampton
    multiple boy bands and hair metal bands
    Billy Corgan could never get it back on track

What about Alanis?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • How about Sting? He had some credibility in The Police, but after that, it's all been smug covers of Elizabethan lute tunes, and doing Q interviews about having ten hour Tantric shagathons with his missus.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    How about Sting? He had some credibility in The Police, but after that, it's all been smug covers of Elizabethan lute tunes, and doing Q interviews about having ten hour Tantric shagathons with his missus.

He's done his own thing since The Police broke up and has done quite well for himself.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"