music's biggest falls from grace?

Comments

• BinFrog wrote:
    He's done his own thing since The Police broke up and has done quite well for himself.

Yep, it's a crying shame. Ah God, he's awful. I mean, on the suckometer, we're talking industrial size! Still, at least I didn't spend any money on that shit. :D
  • pretty self-explantory.....those who have fallen off the highest mountain in the worst and most obvious fashion. my two nominees are axl rose and scott stapp. both were lead singers of MASSIVE bands and both stuffed up big time and had their former bandmates go on and make music without them, showing that they were far from irreplacable. axl keeps promising a record when the whole world knows it will ever happen, becoming the biggest joke in rock. meanwhile stapp still pretends he wasen't high when he had a really dodgy night in chicago and got in a fight with the members of 311 and lost, not to mention a sex tape involving him getting out in the public domain.

Pete Best ;)
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    BinFrog wrote:

What about Alanis?
    yeah what did happen to her? she has massive success with jagged little pill and then seemingly falls of the edge of the world,,,,she did crop up a few years after with some song---in the vid she is naked on a train or something.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    elmer wrote:
    yeah what did happen to her? she has massive success with jagged little pill and then seemingly falls of the edge of the world,,,,she did crop up a few years after with some song---in the vid she is naked on a train or something.

actually, she's had a few songs that were moderate hits since then. i downloaded her greatest hits and i recognized a lot of the songs. the song you're thinking of is thank you, i believe. there's also uninvited, hands clean, precious illusions, and a half dozen others. nonetheless, she did seem to kinda go the pearl jam route... walking out of the mainstream to make very introverted albums.
  • Van Halen... What the hell is up with that once great rock'n'roll band? Eddie has fired Micheal Anthony and replaced him with his 15 year old son. Now, according to Guitar World magazine, he's trying to get Dave back. The 2004 tour was anything but a Van Halen show of old. VH was once my favorite band on the planet but now who knows?
    Lexington, KY 2003
    Cleveland, OH 2006
    Cincinnati, OH 2006

...She's standing naked he's apologizing....
  • Pete Best ;)

Which brings me to another point. How bad did Pete Best have to be to be replaced by RINGO! I mean, I can play Ringos parts, and I don't even play drums.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    How about Sting? He had some credibility in The Police, but after that, it's all been smug covers of Elizabethan lute tunes, and doing Q interviews about having ten hour Tantric shagathons with his missus.
    Agreed......despite selling a bunch of records as a solo artist.....he sucks ass in a major way. The Police were a GREAT band.....Sting as a solo artist is a big fat turd sandwich.

I would also like to nominate Phil Collins...........from one Rock's greatest drummers to the sad sap that works as a great South Park punchline....what a fall.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    tara wrote:
    Really? would they?
    Yeah. They make records to have them sell and be heard. Having them be heard and bought by more people is a good thing. Their first album sold quite well without sacfricing the art. I'm sure they wish there last album sold well too.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • BinFrog wrote:
    That was going to be my entry

Other people that were huge but lost it somehow:

Peter Frampton
    multiple boy bands and hair metal bands
    Billy Corgan could never get it back on track

What about Alanis?
    woa woa woa woa wait.

Billy Corgan?

You're fucking insane. Corgan has never even waivered the slightest bit (and I'm sure the new pumpkins record is going to be mindblowing).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    BinFrog wrote:
    What about Alanis?

Alanis? She was God in Dogma. God can't have a fall from grace!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Without a doubt...Michael Jackson. No one is even close to that downfall.

And Billy Corgan doesn't belong in this list.
    MC Hammer, he said "you cant touch this......you cant touch this....... stop, Hammertime".

wherever he has gone Ive a feeling he took the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with him.
    elmer wrote:
    MC Hammer, he said "you cant touch this......you cant touch this....... stop, Hammertime".

wherever he has gone Ive a feeling he took the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with him.

Can't believe I know this, but wasn't it Vanilla Ice in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, not MC Hammer?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

merkinball wrote:
    Can't believe I know this, but wasn't it Vanilla Ice in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, not MC Hammer?
    now thats a possibility, however what linked the Hammerman with Donatello, Raphael &co for me was the TeenageMNT soundtrack, Hammer contributed one of his stronger efforts, its Track 1.
    I guess he felt strongly about them guys, hence the hypothesis of the 5 of them perhaps currently residing together....?
  • vanilla ice was in ninja turtles 2, he did the ninja rap.. go ninja, go..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    elmer wrote:
    now thats a possibility, however what linked the Hammerman with Donatello, Raphael &co for me was the TeenageMNT soundtrack, Hammer contributed one of his stronger efforts, its Track 1.
    I guess he felt strongly about them guys, hence the hypothesis of the 5 of them perhaps currently residing together....?

True. So would he take Splinters place and lead them?

• Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Poison...
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    gotta disagree with Axl Rose being mentioned..
    as elmer said..the new songs we've heard so far can easily be hits
    only reasons the new album might not sell are those living in the past will always be haters and wont give the album a chance and secondly its not gonna be liked by kids cos it isnt the "in" genre

Axl may be an ass but he still can play and sell out arenas throughout Europe and Canada and he still was able to bring in quite a few people in some US cities as well. I saw Axl and VR and I thought Axl put on the better show, VR may have an album out but that doesn't mean its any good. Axl has fallen since the heights of AFD but really so has PJ since Ten.
    merkinball wrote:
    True. So would he take Splinters place and lead them?
    did Splinter die??If not then I think he would adopt Hammer and become his sensai too.

didnt vanilla ice have his own movie? he and his oik mates burning round on their motorbikes
  • Axl didn't fall off no mountain. He took his ball and went home. If you guys had heard any of the new songs like Better, IRS, Madagascar, The Blues, and TWAT, you would realize that Axl's put his hiking boots back on and he'll be again climbing to the top of the music world in 2007.
    elmer wrote:
    did Splinter die??If not then I think he would adopt Hammer and become his sensai too.

didnt vanilla ice have his own movie? he and his oik mates burning round on their motorbikes

No, splinter didn't die. I can see him adopting hammer. Then maybe hammer gets his own spin-off one day, becomes a sensai to a team of washed-up musicians who now secretly fight crime.

• Matty Boy wrote:
    Axl didn't fall off no mountain. He took his ball and went home. If you guys had heard any of the new songs like Better, IRS, Madagascar, The Blues, and TWAT, you would realize that Axl's put his hiking boots back on and he'll be again climbing to the top of the music world in 2007.

Haven't we promised this...for what about 10 years now? It will never get released.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Haven't we promised this...for what about 10 years now? It will never get released.....

This year was the first time Axl ever said we'd hear new music. Most times when we it was supposedly gonna be released was from some dumb rumor on the internet not from GNR.
  • How about Sting? He had some credibility in The Police, but after that, it's all been smug covers of Elizabethan lute tunes, and doing Q interviews about having ten hour Tantric shagathons with his missus.

His solo career has been rather good. Pop songs but it's been a solid effort. It's only been lately that he's been doing the lute thing.

Axl is crap. Regardless if the new songs are hits or not they will never make it to an actually album. He has again cancelled shows here in the US so he's back to his old self again. Jacko was great but it just such a freak now, it's creepy to see him now. Billy Corgan he is just freaky and wierd. I would say what about Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit....where the hell did they go? They were huge and then nothing. Someone mentioned that Paul McCartney did not have anything after the Beatles....I suggest listening to Venus and Mars...one of my favorite albums. I think recently with his soon to be ex-wife it's gotten odd and his music is not what it once was. But Wings was pretty solid stuff in the day.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • InHiding80 wrote:
    Hootie and the Blowfish - Name one other band that goes from selling 20 million copies of their debut to only 2 million.

Pearl Jam
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • "Diamond" David Lee Roth
    The Presidents of the United States of America
    Diddy
    NERDS!
  • zwan? you're gonna defend that shit pile? or maybe his poetry?
    Fuck zwan. His solo album was pretty damn good, and every second of Machina and Adore was incredible. Fall from grace my ass.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Chris Cornell.

Yeah I know this is not going to go over well. But I stand by it. I liked the solo record, but I maintain Audioslave is utter shit, the Bond song was lame, and the modeling is even lamer.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • it's getting a little tense in here. why don't we all just agree on michael jackson??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Chris Cornell.

Yeah I know this is not going to go over well. But I stand by it. I liked the solo record, but I maintain Audioslave is utter shit, the Bond song was lame, and the modeling is even lamer.

I liked his solo record as well. I wish he'd go back to that. I wouldn't say Audioslave is utter shit, but I don't like it, and I don't think it's going anywhere...it's just a money maker. Unfortunately that means they'll probably stay together for a while.