Options

The Riot Act Wars...

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    yosi wrote:
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Eddie sounds "dumpy", they all sound tired, the songs suck, the mixing is not powerful or balanced, cameron's songwriting is subpar, help help is a disaster, and it is their worst album. period.

So many mistakes in one post its hard to know where to start. I guess the begining?

Ed sounds great. He sounds mature, and sad. Which is perfect, because it truly portrays the sadness in the songs album. He doesn't need to scream to get his point across; there is serious power in his performance.

I'm not sure what it means to say "they all sound tired". I think there is some serious momentum and charge on quite a few tracks on this album. Mike sounds far from tired on lots of tracks on this one.

The songs do anything but suck. Can't Keep, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, Help Help, 1/2 Full, All or None, just to name a few are all pretty amazing songs (I obviously think the rest are all amazing too).

I'm not going to address the mixing because I don't really know anything about it, and truth be told, I'm not so interested in bullshitting.

I love Cameron's tracks on this album. Super creative.

I already mentioned Help, Help being awesome. That might be their most underrated tune. The end (from the lyrics "The man they call my enemy...") - Awesome.

Easily their best album.

And just for the record, I love Yield. My 3 favorite PJ albums are Riot Act, Binaural and Yield.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,633
    BlkFlg wrote:
    yosi wrote:
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Eddie sounds "dumpy", they all sound tired, the songs suck, the mixing is not powerful or balanced, cameron's songwriting is subpar, help help is a disaster, and it is their worst album. period.

So many mistakes in one post its hard to know where to start. I guess the begining?

Ed sounds great. He sounds mature, and sad. Which is perfect, because it truly portrays the sadness in the songs album. He doesn't need to scream to get his point across; there is serious power in his performance.

I'm not sure what it means to say "they all sound tired". I think there is some serious momentum and charge on quite a few tracks on this album. Mike sounds far from tired on lots of tracks on this one.

The songs do anything but suck. Can't Keep, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, Help Help, 1/2 Full, All or None, just to name a few are all pretty amazing songs (I obviously think the rest are all amazing too).

I'm not going to address the mixing because I don't really know anything about it, and truth be told, I'm not so interested in bullshitting.

I already mentioned Help, Help being awesome. That might be their most underrated tune. The end (from the lyrics "The man they call my enemy...") - Awesome.

Easily their best album.

And just for the record, I love Yield. My 3 favorite PJ albums are Riot Act, Binaural and Yield.

Ah HA! The return! What is up Yosi, it has been a while man! Good to see you on here again, even if you do love help help : )

It has been a while. Nice to see you too. So many people who post now who are unfamiliar. What are you gonna do? Time marches on.

And just for the record, in the days when the YFC was banished, this lover of Riot Act was invited to their secret headquarters. :)
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,044
    Easily their best album.

Yes, but maybe tied with Vitalogy. That one has no weak songs.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BlkFlgBlkFlg Posts: 27
    It has been a while. Nice to see you too. So many people who post now who are unfamiliar. What are you gonna do? Time marches on.

And just for the record, in the days when the YFC was banished, this lover of Riot Act was invited to their secret headquarters. :)[/quote]
    Indeed you were. I wonder if that is still going on? They are now cave dwellers...
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,633
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Indeed you were. I wonder if that is still going on? They are now cave dwellers...

I don't think I even have the "directions" anymore.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    yosi wrote:
    BlkFlg wrote:

I don't think I even have the "directions" anymore.

We don't want you!!! ;)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Riot Act is an acquired taste. If you haven't acquired it yet, you ain't tasting it.

But that don't mean it's not there.... :mrgreen:

But it's certainly makes sense that you can't be "faulted" for not tasting it...

And likewise, it's also understandable why, if you don't in fact taste it, that you might make a face at it.

But, seriously? This is good shit.
    We're not all just making it up.

(P.S. I just found out that "Half-Full" and "Red Mosquito" are the same song. True story)
  • Options
    chris450chris450 Posts: 50
    All this Yield Council and Riot Act Wars talk compels me to come out and state my place as a No Code Conspirator.
  • Options
    Miller Lite. More filling, less taste.
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Easily their best album.

Yes, but maybe tied with Vitalogy. That one has no weak songs.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Bump.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    yosi wrote:
    BlkFlg wrote:

Easily their best album.

Ah HA! The return! What is up Yosi, it has been a while man! Good to see you on here again, even if you do love help help : )

Good Lord, "Help, Help"? Are you serious?
  • Options
    joannawilsonjoannawilson Posts: 341
    Haha where was this hiding? I like Riot Act...Binaural = least favorite.
  • Options
    You like riot act? What the he'll is wrong with you?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    rollings wrote:
    ~~~~~~~~~
    (P.S. I just found out that "Half-Full" and "Red Mosquito" are the same song. True story)

Well played, rollings.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    What pointlessness. But seriously, Yield is great, but not PJ's best album.

After watching Single Video Theory, I appreciate how good an album Yield really is.

After Riot Act, I'd say it's their best album.
    :corn:
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    What pointlessness. But seriously, Yield is great, but not PJ's best album.

After watching Single Video Theory, I appreciate how good an album Yield really is.

After Riot Act, I'd say it's their best album.
    :corn:

If I had to list my favorite PJ albums just by number of times played alone it'd probably be Riot Act and Yield with Pearl Jam and No Code close, very close, behind. And of course all the rest follow closely because there are no bad Pearl Jam records. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CropsmokerCropsmoker Posts: 209
    Gee, the old Star Wars geek with delusions of grandure is gonna tell us all how more elevated he is when in reality he's unknowingly living in the matrix as a 1/2 rate Jedi program unable to comprehend Riot Acts genius because his mind is still trapped as a result of taking the blue pill.

;)
    "Music's at its best when it has a purpose." EV
  • Options
    Just listened to yield in its entirety...... I really miss this era of the catalogue ....I think it's their best effort with accessible songs that still sound fresh 14 years later..... I sure hope they make a record that captures the same emotion again
  • Options
    bump.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Preparing for a triumphant return??
    That is the question- is there a new hope? is there a child someday (possibly Yosi's son) that shall rise up and restore order and harmony to the galaxy/board? These are dark times, indeed.

Yosi shall have a son, and that son shall throw a riot act CD into a huge pit of fire.

Oh wait, that's Lord of the Rings, not Star Wars. Someone help me out here.
  • Options
    YIELD.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    As a CAVE dweller at least you get to hang out with fun furry things
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnnze_yPAqu_FhopuxUnAn_qUYduUla_GOs-hSy0wFBs6LTQ5K

I had to do a paper about theme comparisons between Star Wars and Harry Potter. I'm done with both topics.
    Never would I compare Pearl Jam like that.

No Code is the best, before yield. And it's my opinion, I don't want to join a cave club about it.. sounds creepy.

Gandalf says you shall not pass, Live long and prosper, it's not logical captain, the force is strong in this one
    I can't shake them, I can't shake them. Nerfherders.
    Bilbo club anyone?

Peace.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    As a CAVE dweller at least you get to hang out with fun furry things

that's what she said.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    Riot Act is a great album. One of my faves. Yield is also great and another of my faves.

It's idiotic to argue over which album is better. It's art, not the answer to a math problem. There is no right or wrong answer.

If this thread is any indication of what the boards used to be like I'm glad it's changed. No offense. :shifty:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Riot Act is a great album. One of my faves. Yield is also great and another of my faves.

It's idiotic to argue over which album is better. It's art, not the answer to a math problem. There is no right or wrong answer.

If this thread is any indication of what the boards used to be like I'm glad it's changed. No offense. :shifty:

You are so cool.

I'm glad I never have to see you
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    STAYSEA wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You are so cool.

I'm glad I never have to see you
    What are you doing? Chasing me around the forum insulting me?
    Hey, remember when I emailed you those rare bootlegs? Hope you enjoyed them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    BlkFlg1 wrote:
    Alas, the YIELD Fan Club (YFC) were once the elite warrior/poet class of the PIT. We stood for justice, peace, love, and posts that were actually intelligent with correct spelling (mostly). We were the vanguard of “the old board” before message pit posters started posting like they had been eating lead paint. But, I digress. We were indeed the “Jedi” of the board: we didn’t verbally abuse people, we honored and welcomed them in to high-class debate, and we were a council (well I never was, I was never a “Master”, but I was a Jedi. I was too young and brash, like "likepilateihaveadog" and RocKing. The Jedi council was the YIELD Council.) I digress again. Here is the tale of yore….
    I

There were dark times on the board. The original posters were beginning to dwindle, from the Sony/BBS days. People were beginning to post like idiots en masse, the board became populated with aggression, victimization, and whining (Ed's hair, no shows for the south, play this or that...)….it was the presence of the “dark side” on the board. Then, penultimate YIELD nemesis YOSI (dont get me wrong, I love Yosi) started a stupid Riot Act thread, in which we Jedi had to defend the republic from this atrocity.

The Riot Act wars had begun.

We engaged in spirited, but noble debate over how bad Riot Act sucked, meanwhile existing in the relative tranquility of our beloved YIELD thread and its jewbabes, Nugent, non-dual spirituality, and artistic/literary merit. It turns out that the Sith are always two in number, and Yosi was merely the front man for the real menace “Locked”. Locked was too much for us, in the weakened state of our “society” (the board) we were beaten and banished to all ends of the galaxy, destroyed except for a few.

We are now cave dwellers in a far of land, living as desert monks, steeped in self-study and analysis.

How did I never see this thread?

YIELD lives on my brothers...

Although I do enjoy riot act ... I just think thins thread and op are fucking awesome
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    BlkFlg1 wrote:
    Alas, the YIELD Fan Club (YFC) were once the elite warrior/poet class of the PIT. We stood for justice, peace, love, and posts that were actually intelligent with correct spelling (mostly). We were the vanguard of “the old board” before message pit posters started posting like they had been eating lead paint. But, I digress. We were indeed the “Jedi” of the board: we didn’t verbally abuse people, we honored and welcomed them in to high-class debate, and we were a council (well I never was, I was never a “Master”, but I was a Jedi. I was too young and brash, like "likepilateihaveadog" and RocKing. The Jedi council was the YIELD Council.) I digress again. Here is the tale of yore….

There were dark times on the board. The original posters were beginning to dwindle, from the Sony/BBS days. People were beginning to post like idiots en masse, the board became populated with aggression, victimization, and whining (Ed's hair, no shows for the south, play this or that...)….it was the presence of the “dark side” on the board. Then, penultimate YIELD nemesis YOSI (dont get me wrong, I love Yosi) started a stupid Riot Act thread, in which we Jedi had to defend the republic from this atrocity.

The Riot Act wars had begun.

We engaged in spirited, but noble debate over how bad Riot Act sucked, meanwhile existing in the relative tranquility of our beloved YIELD thread and its jewbabes, Nugent, non-dual spirituality, and artistic/literary merit. It turns out that the Sith are always two in number, and Yosi was merely the front man for the real menace “Locked”. Locked was too much for us, in the weakened state of our “society” (the board) we were beaten and banished to all ends of the galaxy, destroyed except for a few.

We are now cave dwellers in a far of land, living as desert monks, steeped in self-study and analysis.

i think this needs to be considered, quite possibly, the greatest post in pit history?
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    What the Fuck is this??? I'm utterly confused?